Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Cineplex is now saying they are doing to start streaming movies.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/cineplex-to-unveil-movie-download-service/article1803454/

EDIT: Sorry, not streaming but downloads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

I'm on TS cable, and at least on DSLReports they've been pretty up front saying they're still figuring out what to do.

They are ignoring emails though. I have dry DSL with them and have contacted their sales department twice. Not even a reply of "We are looking into it".

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I emailed Teksavvy on the 10th asking about UBB. I just got this reply:

Teksavvy Sales posted:

At the moment, we don't know how UBB will affect our service. We're waiting for our CEO to let us know our next steps.

We'll let you know as soon as we know something.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

It looks like the NDP is now taking an interest in UBB

http://straight.com/article-369589/vancouver/ndp-attacks-crtcs-approval-usagebased-billing-internet-service

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

TekSavvy posted this on FaceBook last night.

Teksavvy posted:

TekSavvy is disappointed with the recent CRTC decision on Usage Based Billing. They have imposed a pricing mechanism which maximizes Telco and cable profits, and have forced us to pass similar pricing on to you, with no benefit to us.
The decision means we are greatly limited in the pricing flexibility that we can offer our customers.

However, within those limitations we will try our best to continue to give our customers the best deal out there, while continuing to provide the great service you have come to expect from us.We will continue efforts, before the CRTC or otherwise, to give Canadians the best internet experience at fair prices. As soon as we are able to communicate our plans we’ll inform all of our customers by email. Thank you for your support, we are in this together.

This is something every ISP will face right now... Trust me we are doing everything in are power right now... we are fighing for every person in Canada who has, is and will log on the net

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Dudebro posted:

I sent my MP a short e-mail asking her how this is beneficial for us and basically how important the Internet is for our country's future. I don't even know if MPs read and respond to their e-mails.

In my experience, MPs NEVER reply to emails. Anytime I've done so I get a reply from their assistant. The 1st reply is a basic canned response they send everyone. AFter that it's just endlessly arguing with someone who could care less about your issue and they will lead you on all kinds of wild goose chases to get you to shut up.

If you request to speak directly to the MP they will tell you to write some written request which I'm sure is then ignored.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

So what happens to business accounts? Let's say I'm a graphic designer and I'm FTPing PSD files back and forth. Your average working from home person is not going to have a full T1 line or something.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Scylla posted:

I spoke to a Teksavvy sales rep a few moments ago, and she told me that they wouldn't have DSL Unlimited anymore, even for current subscribers (which is what I have).

If that comes true, I'll either switch to Teksavvy Cable or a DSL Business account (if they offer unlimited plans).

So the Teksavvy DSL business rates stay the same?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Parachute Underwear posted:

Does anyone know if there are any restrictions for business accounts? Can I get one for my home? Currently with the plan I mentioned earlier there's a family of four using the connection + a small-time sports association to whom we rent out our basement. We've managed not to bust our cap so far (coming close at ~90GB usually). If I'm going to have to end up paying $10 more for less bandwidth I'd just rather get a business account, which seems to have a much more reasonable 300GB cap. Could I do this?

Back in 2004 I had a business account with Rogers. I didn't have to show them any official papers or anything. The account was a little more expensive but was faster then residential offerings.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I thought it was mentioned before that if you use Bell, on demand and streaming from their services would not count against your bandwidth.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I have a theory. Bell knew this would be a bitter pill to swallow. They come out with the announcement of a 25GB cap. People revolt and there is a huge story in the news. Bell then lets up and tries to come across as the good guy and increase the minimum cap to 75MB.

It's basic negotiation really. You have a target figure in mind so you low ball everyone. They come back with a counter offer, and you offer up something a little better then before. The other party agrees and feels like they made some head way with you. Meanwhile, you really just tricked this person into accepting the number you had in mind in the first place.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Someone here said that Teksavvy will only let you have business account if you have a Bell business line. But what about Dry DSL?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

^^^^ In their defense, that's not usually how long it takes. I assume everyone is calling today since the email went out of Saturday.

8ender posted:

That was me. Teksavvy told me that Dry "Business" DSL is also an option. Have no idea how you'd sign up for that though.

I've had the residential Dry DSL for about two years. I would assume you just use the their form to change services or call them up and pay the switching fee.

If it's that easy I'll just do this.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

If I may don my tinfoil hat there....until a few months ago, bell was not throttling teksavvy traffic. Then suddenly around the 1st of the year they were. I just wonder if they turned the throttling off to get stats to show the CRTC. Then, once they had collected enough data, turned throttling on again.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

This just showed up in my inbox.

Teksavvy posted:

Dear TekSavvy Customer,

Because of your support and participation in reaching out to the
various MPs and the Minister of Industry we're pleased to announce
that the March 1st UBB implementation date has been suspended indefinitely.

With over 460,000 signatures having been sent to Parliament Minister
Clement and the Industry committee requested the CRTC review its
recent decision in full, which it has obliged and are now doing.
Until this review has occurred UBB over DSL has been completely
shelved. Minister Clement also added they would overturn the review
should it resemble in any way to the previous outcome!

So, congratulations to all who've spoken up about this issue, you've
made a huge difference. As a Canadian, today, I can honestly say it's
refreshing to know politicians do listen and will affect change when
the public at large shows concern!

Effective March 1st we are going to move forward and make changes to
the Usage, but we're going to make it a positive one!

We are reinstating the Unlimited package but the 200GB package will be
changed... to 300GB!
UBB is about Internet Costs, and as a result of
lower costs with our providers (Peer1, Lime Light, etc...), costs
outside our relationship with companies like Bell, we are extending
the savings on to you, the clients... Enjoy!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25507992-DSL-TekSavvy-Bell-Tech-not-being-honest-charging-me-100-

Bell is now charging TekSavvy customers opening tickets to have lines tested. Acording to what has been posted in that thread, Bell bills EVERY customer that TS requests work on. TS then looks at each case individually and disputes them with Bell. However, if a Bell tech does not specify the work done on the ticket, Bell rules in favor of themselves leaving TS no choice but to bill the customer.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

unknown posted:

That's been the case for months. When the ISP opens a ticket with Bell, and there's a truck roll, and the Bell tech claims it's inside wiring or the modem at fault, we get billed a DMC charge of $87.70. And often the Bell tech doesn't fix the issue and just marks it "ISP problem" and leaves.

Since it's wholesale, Bell is responsible up to the demarc point so we should've done our own truck roll first, hence the DMC charge. Of course we don't have access to the same tools they do.

Fighting a DMC is a royal PITA - Bell techs very often mark something as an ISP problem when in fact it's a Bell issue, and they're billing department is horrendously understaffed. Basically someone has to pull the entire Bell ticket and verify all the work done before a credit is issued (~1 hour work per ticket) - this all 2+ months after the outage. Bell has no incentive to actually staff the department because it's mandate is to basically hand out money to the ISPs.

Edit: Correct the DMC rate.

Edit2: Here's a favourite DMC reason: "BH=00.00;WS;/Found OK out OTHER-UNKNOWN, FIRE, RODENTS OR INSECTS" - actual reason: Tech forgot to hook up the dslam to the line.

I just moved and was barely getting 1mbps so I emailed TekSavvy and they saw that my profile was wrong and got Bell to fix it.

I sure as hell won't pay if I'm billed because no one came out to the house.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

unknown posted:

Profile fixes don't require an on-site (and therefore a DMC). In fact the work was probably done by an automated process and had no human intervention at all. How you got a 1meg profile speaks volumes about Bell's QA process (the port should've been cleared/reset to 5mb when assigned).

I'd put it at around 50% of all DMC are false, and are in 'dispute' with Bell. The late payment fees start stacking up only to be dealt with when BCE is subject to a takeover bid.

I was told by TekSavvy that someone from Bell would be out and to make sure someone was home. Luckily that was moving day so we were at the house. At 2pm there is no sign of a Bell tech. I notice that the previous owner left behind a rather old Bell Sat receiver and there was a dish on top. I think that maybe they had DSL service too so I unpacked my modem and plugged it. All green lights.

So they did nothing to even get my connection going. I also have two large, protective, dogs so there is no way a tech can go to the side of the house and work on the dmarc point without me knowing.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Someone on Reddit just posted this.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1177801967.png

It was done from a hotel in Korea.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

VERTiG0 posted:

I'm probably gonna get Teksavvy's dry-loop DSL set up in my new condo when I move in a few weeks. $10.22 is the band rate for my area, so $56.69 all in for the unlimited bandwidth package.

What sucks though, is that I'll have to take a goddamn day off work to meet the Bell technician at my place, Monday-Friday 8am-5pm.

Oh well, I see no other options for internet around here (Cambridge, ON) - screw Bell, screw Rogers, Yak isn't in my area and I've heard terrible things about Acanac

Regarding modems, will the TP-Link TD-8816 work just fine? They're like $25 and Teksavvy wants $75 for the Speedtouch 516.

Is this a new condo? If so, don't expect Bell to show up. I bought a house (in Cambridge even!) and the previous owner had DSL so Bell didn't do poo poo since service was already hooked up. I did have to contact TS support and have them update my profile to 5Mbs.

When I lived in Paris, ON I had a new house and Bell just came out to do something to the demarcation point. They never rang the bell or came inside.

Someone else confirm this but unless they have to run phone wiring into your house, they are not going to do anything that will require you to be home. Unless your phone box is somewhere you have to give them access.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

VERTiG0 posted:

Well, I called Teksavvy and they said that any ADSL2/2+ modem will work just fine. TD-8816 here I come.

Bonzo, it's not a NEW condo, but it's only 3 years old. It'd be amazing if they just had to do some crap to a box somewhere outside and be done with it. I'd hate to have to waste a day waiting around for some dipshit in a van to do 2 minutes of work and leave.

Thanks guys.

Again, I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure Bell is just going to "flip a switch" on the outside box. When they did it for me they just quietly slipped a work order between my front doors and I had idea they had been there.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I was hoping this would become an election issue. I'm sure Bell will lay low on this until after May and then quietly implement it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Squibbles posted:

If anyone else was planning on going for 100mbps+ I did a little research last night and settled on getting the Netgear WNDR3700. Apparently it's pretty decent and is supported by DD-WRT. Plus it's on sale this week at NCIX :)

I have one of these running Netgear's firmware and the interface is a little clumsy but I've not any any issues at all with it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Lone Rogue posted:

Chatham, Ontario.

Important things to know about Chatham:

- Dave Gagner is from there
- Shay-Lynn Bourne is from there
- Ron Sparks is from there

That's about it.

Wheels Inn?

And yeah my father in law lives in Ridgetown so I feel your pain.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Lone Rogue posted:

Wheels Inn is gone now :(

I'll miss playing laser tag with Darude's "Sand Storm" playing.

My childhood is pretty much destroyed without any Wheels Inn: Wild Zone and Eightball Arcade existing anymore.

Wait what? My cousin (that I only see at weddings and funerals) married into the family that runs the place. Then again, no one has died or gotten married in a year so I guess that's possible.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

So this sounds like what I have with Vonage and I only pay them $20 a month for that. I would assume the advantage of me switching would be that I could use you guys for support if I needed, which I like and I'd prefer to give my $$$ to you guys anyway.

If I canceled Vonage would I still be able to keep my number?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Sprawl posted:

Teksavvy has so many issues outside of being incompetent and not having tech thats it not even worth bothering.

I'm going to agree with others...you are being kind of a dick.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Sprawl posted:

Yes because its normal for a new install to take 3 weeks from the time you order to get it installed.

Yes because its normal to be charged ~$300 before you even get an install.

The way the company does things is not normal, most isp's dont pre-bill and on that stance alone its enough to not bother. But you also have to buy your own modem and wire you building yourself among other things. Telus and shaw here will both send and installer and they will do things like convert phone jacks to rj-45 so you can have a nice home network.

All of these things are caused by Bell/Rogers. TekSavvy's hands are tied. What you are "pre-billed" for are basically setup fees. I would rather buy my modem then "rent" it from Bell/Rogers because now I'm just paying an additional fee. If you knew they pre-bill and are against it, why did you continue to sign up?

I know personally that TS will send out a tech if possible and will do everything to help you get connected, even if that means talking you though setting up the wiring.

Yes the others came out and do that for you, because they are bigger and have the manpower to do so. TS is small and can't do it for everyone.

I also challenge you to call Bell/Rogers/Whoever support and ask them something technical like, "can I have the IP of your primary and secondary DNS servers". I'll tell you what answer you'll get because I've done this test. You will be on hold for 30 minutes, get hung up on, or argue with someone who says that DNS is a "unix thing" and not needed.

TS can answer the question in 30 seconds.

You had a bad experience. It happens and I'm sorry for that. But to start to call people "incompetent" for something out of their control is an rear end in a top hat thing to do.

The points you are arguing are the exact reason of this thread. Big ISPs are going out of their way to make it difficult to resellers. You my friend are drinking their Kool-Aid.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Twiin posted:

I am seriously regretting my TekSavvy choice. I've waited on hold for an hour twice this week, I've never gotten a call back from them, and I'm not at the speed I'm paying for. Buyer beware.

They are busy from all the people switching over.

Try posting to http://www.dslreports.com/forum/teksavvy and explain your issue politely and professionally and you'll get some help if you don't like waiting on the phone.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Sprawl posted:

That's a load of poo poo they are simply lying to you.

:getout:

Twiin posted:

Yeah, I know it's on the checklist. But I was getting 25mbps down 24/7 through this router at my last place without a hiccup, and the guy wouldn't do anything other than run me through speedtest.net to confirm that I was getting 10mbps.

Because when they open a ticket with Rogers, this is the first thing they get asked. Things go a lot easier if you just go to Rogers and show them proof of the speedtest.

And yes, any ISP in the world will ask you to do this test and has been since commercial routers became popular.

Why do you have to use a laptop? Is there a reasons you can't connect your modem directly to your PC?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Twiin posted:

Okay. Well, when you spend three hours on the phone trying to reach someone and they refuse to even let you tell them who you are to see if you are set as having the right account type, I'll be sure to call you a dink for being pissed about it.

Go to DSLreports and talk to a teksavvy rep there. But yeah, you are being kinda lazy on this. You'll spend three hours on the phone but not 30 minutes taking your PC down a few stair steps. All you need to do is hookup a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and plug it into your router.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Twiin posted:

I can't believe you guys are looking to castigate me for not having a 60 foot ethernet cable or a female-female adapter on hand. Seriously?

Everyone is giving you poo poo because you refuse to move your computer down a flight of steps and instead complain to the Internet about the horrible service you are getting. Most of the people posting in this thread work or have worked in support so we know what we are talking about.

In the days you have been complaining about this, you could have already moved the computer and been done with it. If you really can't be bothered with removing all the cables, then call and speak to a supervisor or go to dslreports and explain your situation to Teksavvy there.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

This brings up a good point. I'm being charge by TekSavvy $4 a month for MLPPP Dynamic IP. I'd like to get a static IP for I can get to newsgroups. I have no interest in bonding two dry loop lines.

Will be WNDR3700 router support an MLPPP log in?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Fractal Cat posted:

It is on the list of supported routers for OpenWRT/MLPPP yes it wil. Don't let the OpenWRT bit scare you, this port has an easy to use GUI.

As a side note since I just switched to MLPPP today, it may be a good idea to inform customers that their login info will be changed before that info is changed.

Hmmm ok. Will I still have my original router features? I like having the two wireless bands, USB Support and the ability to set a "guest" network

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Someone earlier mentioned an issue with TekSavvy and youtube. This now seems to be an issue with any streaming site.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26236939-Cable-Magavideo-Throttled-

can anyone here confirm what the issue may be?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The CRTC has given Rogers until Friday to respond to throttling complaints.

http://www.thewirereport.ca/reports/content/12877-crtc_gives_rogers_until_friday_to_respond_to_throttling_complaint

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Migishu posted:

Problem for me ended up being the DNS.

I've had no problems whatsoever since changing it.

e: Try using this program to find the best DNS for your area: http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

I just wanted to thank you for this. I've been having issues with streaming video and this worked.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

ZShakespeare posted:

So it seems that instead of building a cellular network, SHAW has decided to blanket cities in WIFI

http://shaw.ca/uploadedFiles/Corporate/Media/Press_Releases/Shaw_To_Build_Broadband_Wireless_Network_September%201_2011.pdf

e: if this means that I will get wifi everywhere I go, it will mean essentially unlimited data on my smartphone. That's something I can get behind.

Elizabeth May is going to loose her poo poo over this.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

CRTC tells Rogers to stop slowing down the speed of online games

http://www.theprovince.com/life/CRTC+tells+Rogers+stop+slowing+down+speed+online+games/5413667/story.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Brace posted:

Everytime I try to watch netflix, it drops down to 0.1 mbp/s and I just ran speedtest and I'm getting 0.15mbp/s. This is with the 15mbp/s teksavvy connection on cable. What's going on?

Try using Google's DNS