Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Not too shabby, although the letters probably need customization for specific MPs and relevant info for the letter to make sense (e.g. find a small ISP like Teksavvy with a presence in the appropriate provice).

Anything sent within Quebec or to a francophone MP should REALLY lean on the whole discrimination-against-francophones angle, too.

Also, if anyone has a use for them, enjoy these unedited Steam install pics.

For the record, I got both of these games on sale for $10 if memory serves (definitely for Star Wars, I'm about 90% sure for Age of Conan) and Steam has no problem feeding me either game hundreds of times at no extra cost.

univbee fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stanley Pain posted:

Found a half way decent one template

Canadian ISPs have "just become a collection agency for the monopolies" according to the CEO of the Canadian Internet service provider TekSavvy Solutions. On January 25th, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) gave the go-ahead to allow Bell Canada to charge Usage-Based Billing (UBB) to local Internet Service Providers (ISPs), such as Mega-Quebec here in Quebec City. Starting in February any data over your cap will be charged extra. Despite being charged per gigabyte (GB) when you exceed your cap, if you use less than your cap you will not receive a discount. According to an employee of TekSavvy, bandwidth costs to your ISP are "1 to 3 pennies per gig". Your local ISP is now obligated to charge you $1-4 per GB, more than a 10000% markup, and pass that money directly to Bell.

This is a disaster for everyone who is currently using the Internet; your Internet bill will almost certainly go up. It is trivially easy to pass the 25-50 GB caps that will come into effect next month. Watching a low-end HD movie on the Internet will set you back 4-6 GB, and a single episode of television could be as much as 1.5 GB. Downloading 2-3 games per month off Steam that will set you back 25 GB a month alone. Streaming just 30 minutes of 720p videos on YouTube every day could use over 30 GB. Even if you are already on a plan with a cap, this gives leeway to your current ISP to raise your prices in the absence of competition.

So why the sudden push to impose UBB? The answer is Netflix Canada, an online DVD-rental and movie streaming service that recently became available, and Hulu, an online TV streaming service that is very popular in the united states. Bell is the owner of the CTV television network, as well as offering monthly television subscription services. Bell has decided that the best way to ensure that you cannot cancel your television service (and watch shows online at your convenience) is to make online streaming of TV shows and movies too costly by over-charging for bandwidth. And through the CRTC, to force competing ISPs to do the same. That the CRTC would ignore such a huge conflict of interest is surprising, until you realize that some of its members have previously worked at Bell or Rogers and are unfit to regulate an industry they are beholden to.

There are three possible solutions that we can implement to stop our Internet access from dropping to third-world levels: 1. Disband the CRTC and replace it with an organization directly responsible to parliament, fill it with members who won't rubber-stamp every anti-competitive request made by our monopolies. 2. Create a provincial crown corporation here in Quebec, similar to Sasktel, which has pledged to keep providing the citizens of Saskatchewan with unlimited Internet access at affordable rates. 3. Adopt a system similar to the one in Japan, where the owner of last mile infrastructure (Nippon Telegraph and Telephone) was broken up into competing companies. They were also forced to lease their lines to smaller competitors at wholesale rates. Thanks to government regulations mandating competition, Japanese citizens now enjoy un-capped 160 Mbps Internet speeds for $60 a month, speeds unheard of here in Canada, at any price.

http://www.antiubb.com/why-should-we-oppose-ubb/ also has a lot of great key points that could be easily copy/pasted into an email.

Rough translation of the above for anyone who wants to use it. I rephrased certain parts and added in a bit about the Ontario vs Quebec thing. It's rough (so is my French, I'm blaming Bell :colbert: ), but I'm loving tired; I'll brush it up tomorrow unless someone else wants a go.

quote:

Les fournisseurs internet viennent juste de devenir agence de collection pour les monopoles, selon Teksavvy, un fournisseur internet qui est maintenant obligé de réduire le service qu’ils peuvent offrir à leurs clients. Ce 25 janvier, la CRTC a accordé à Bell Canada de droit d’imposer un tarif. Dès février, tout excès du montant de giga-octets (go) accordés chaque mois seront facturés à $2.50 par go. Selon Teksavvy, le coutant d’envoyer ce giga serait, au max, 3 cents. Ceci donne à Bell plus de 5000% de profits, que tout fournisseur d’internet doit maintenant charger à leurs clients pour ensuite donner à Bell. Pire encore, les frais supplémentaires sont moins cher en Ontario qu’au Québec, les québécois payant 2.5x le montant des ontariens.

Ceci est un désastre pour tous utilisateurs d’internet, garantissant une augmentation de facture dans la majorité des cas. Il est très facile de dépasser les maximums qui s’imposeront le mois prochain. Un film en HD prend entre 4 et 6 go, et un épisode de télé peut en prendre 1.5. Deux ou trois jeux PC à travers le service Steam peuvent totaliser plus de 30go. Rien que 30 minutes en HD sur YouTube chaque jour utilise plus de 30go en un mois.

Alors pourquoi l’intérêt soudain? La réponse est Netflix Canada, un service permettant l’écoute de films et séries télés en ligne, qui est très populaire aux États-Unis. Bell, qui est maintenant propriétaire de CTV et qui revend le service télé satellite, a décidé que le meilleur moyen d’éviter l’annulation de services télé est de rendre le service télé en ligne trop cher pour les consommateurs, et de forcer les autres fournisseurs d’internet de le faire aussi à travers cette décision. Que la CRTC puisse ignorer ce conflit d’intérêt flagrant semble difficile à croire, avant de réaliser que certains de ses membres sont d’anciens employés de chez Bell.

Trois solutions possibles existent qui éviteront que notre internet deviennent dépasser par les services offert au pays du tiers-monde : 1. Élimination de la CRTC, la remplaçant par une organisation qui répond directement au parlement, remplis de membres qui n’approuveront pas ces demandes anti-compétitives faites par Bell et d’autres monopoles. 2 : La création d’une corporation couronne au Québec, semblable à Sasktel en Saskatchewan, qui a promis de continuer à fournir les citoyens de la Saskatchewan avec un service internet sans limites à des prix abordables. 3. L’adoption d’un système semblable au Japon, où NT&T, la compagnie qui posséda l’infrastructure téléphonique, a été séparé en plus petites compagnies en concurrence. Ils furent aussi obligé de revendre le service à d’autres compétiteurs à de bas prix. Cette décision qui força la competition a donné aux japonais un service internet de 160 mégabits par seconde pour $60 par mois, vitesse impossible à obtenir aux résidences canadiens.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Openmedia.ca is trying to raise $10,000 by tomorrow for the following (copy-pasted from email):

* Buy ads in Clement’s riding to encourage him to champion the Internet.
* Provide resources to grassroots groups who are lobbying at the local level.
* Strengthen our online activism – your responses were so great that it crashed our site! We need stronger online tools to gather momentum and support.

http://tinyurl.com/4ne9mfh

Donated $100

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Hirez posted:

*I don't know the calculation off-hand, but I think it's something like that? Someone who knows what they're doing should probably give an accurate figure if you go with this

Every megabit you have means 450 megabytes an hour.

univbee fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 3, 2011

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Parachute Underwear posted:

"Per gigahertz cap"

- dude from the CRTC

I will go on the record to say that I will happily cap my GigaHertz to 5 in exchange for unlimited Gigabytes. :colbert:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Parachute Underwear posted:

- Figuring Bell/Rogers would do the responsible thing and overhaul their networks rather than filling their pockets (maybe if they got a mandate, but otherwise? gently caress no)

Isn't there already precedent for them getting tons of taxpayer money to upgrade the infrastructure which never happened?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

asmallrabbit posted:

I posted something similar in the other thread but basically, we need somone who actually knows what they are talking about to represent the general public. It's pretty clear that these guys are horribly misinformed or just don't have a clue when it comes to the internet and issues like these.

While I fully agree, I think it would be incredibly hard to find someone who can appear unbiased in this regard. Anyone who knows enough about the technology is pretty much guaranteed to be using it in some way where UBB would seriously negatively affect them, which would make the pro-CRTC side cry bias.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dudebro posted:

Unlimited internet has been shown to work in other countries with way more population density than Canada. It is not some kind of fantasy world.

It's also been shown to work in countries with lower population density, poorer countries (India's a good example), and more remote areas (New Zealand), just so we've covered all the bases. More population density is a GOOD thing for internet, you cover more people running a single cable to a high-rise.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dudebro posted:

Yeah but if you have a higher density then there's more chance for congestion. Are they constantly overcongested in those high-density broadband-minded countries?

You mean like in Japan with its population five times Canada's where 160 megabit internet for $60 is the norm? No, although in fairness I'm not sure what constitutes normal use over there (freeish* digital over-the-air TV is available everywhere, no one games on PC, virtually all Japanese PC games are retail packages only, their rental stores are basically heaven so you really don't need to download a movie illegally, and even if you could good luck finding Japanese subtitles for it); I think in Japan they just innovated everything else so the internet was less of a priority.

* - Minus NHK's legally-required cut

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sashimi posted:

Haven't the Japanese been doing most of their internet usage on phones for quite a few years now, by which I mean long before smartphones became all the rage over here. This of course would place much less stress on their land based broadband infrastructure compared to other nations.

Yes, this is very true, to the point that any advertisement wanting to point you to a website will tell you what words to put in a search engine (although this is also partly due to the lack of japanese characters being allowed in a URL). It mostly has to do with the insane commutes Japanese people undertake (2-4 hours each way isn't that uncommon, that's why they have capsule hotels) as well as limited living space (and therefore being limited in how much "stuff" you can have), and so EVERYTHING is doable on your phone and has been for some time. Want to watch TV? Whip out your 1seg antenna and have at it, free, no bandwidth limitations. Radio? Same thing. Books/manga? They had eBooks and readers long before Amazon. Games? Ditto.

Having said that, a lot of this was easily doable BECAUSE the country is so compact. Stick an antenna anywhere that's inhabitable and you'll have tens of thousands of customers in range guaranteed, if not hundreds of thousands. The 1seg video feed piggy backs off cell phone towers in the same way SMS texts do here. Finally, given how tiny the country is and how only 20% of that land is inhabitable in the first place, you don't need that many antennas in the grand scheme of things to 100% cover the country.

Short of figuring something out with a high-orbit satellite (which would have TERRIBLE latency), it's pretty much impossible to 100% cover Canada; sticking an antenna in Alert, NWT isn't going to make you any money. Having said that, it's entirely viable to do something like this in at least one or two cities in each Province.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Powershift posted:

If anybody has the bandwidth to spare after streaming the questioning earlier, here's an interview with tony clement from tonight. http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/Politics/1244504890/ID=1779426903

GodDAMN I love this man.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

less than three posted:

EST.

George Burger and the dude from Vaxination are part of the panel this time.

http://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/ParlVu/ContentEntityDetailView.aspx?ContentEntityId=7272

Rescheduling my lunch for this, no way in hell am I missing this.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Primus is on now.

I logged on now, someone was talking before, I'm not sure who.

Basically talked about Canada's position with the OECD and emphasized that the UBB only made sense as a cash grab for Bell.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I THINK this is the Vaxination informatique guy, this should be good.

He sounds like he's on the verge of diving over the podium and dive-tackling a Bell exec. Keeping his cool, though.

He's citing the Telecom act, talking about how the "last mile" works.

lol "Bell Sympatico or whatever it's called this week."

Now he's repeating what he's said in French.

Ooh he's comparing internet and cost subsidies to an all-you-can-eat buffet.

gently caress I think he got cut off at 5 minutes.

The liberals have now made a ballsy statement by saying TV will be dead in 20 years.

univbee fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 8, 2011

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

THANK YOU!

Someone answered that looking at network pricing on a per-gigabyte basis made no sense, pointing out that nowhere in the networking world is connection priced that way.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Also pointed out that congestion statistics are easily "fudged" if you just "happen" to do your congestion tests while one of your nodes or backend pipes is down.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

First batch of witnesses are gone.

Overall this went extremely well, pretty much all the important points were touched on, such as bits not having an intrinsic value and being essentially an unlimited resource, the costs of overage being excessive...are the second round opposers?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I have no idea about Canadian IPTV specifically, but I know some US carriers do cause your internet to get slower if you watch TV (like going from 50 Mbps down to 25). Really it could be setup either way here, only the big ISPs know for sure.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The French guy speaking now just said that it's in no way fair if someone gets a virus and ends up with a giant bill because of it (didn't explain why, spam node or illegal secret FTP would be the obvious reasons).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

Is there any way to switch away from bell and maintain the @sympatico email address? My parents would love to switch, but my mom is consulting and uses the @sympatico email address for work, which is currently preventing them from switching.

Switching away is unfortunately impossible, keeping that address requires at least $12 a month IIRC. I think you can arrange 3 months of forwarding, though. This is definitely you want to arrange one way or another anyway, having an ISP-specific address is a terrible idea, especially for work.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Seriously. I've been able to get a full 15 megabits down from Shaw for the entire two years I was with them, and the only time service went down was when some street work raised the street so that a passing tall truck cut the cable running to my house.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

I certainly hope so, I could easily see this spreading to what we pay for cell phone plans (e.g. lack of unlimited there too), something I'd like addressed, but right now am looking at this one thing at a time to not spread things too thin.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Finally canceled my Bell ExpressVu account today, citing the CRTC strong-arming as the reason. Hopefully enough others will follow suit to give Bell some good cause and effect.

Of course now I have a useless HD PVR box, maybe I should stuff it and mount it in the living room.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Null Set posted:

Global has the most recent House episodes up for streaming on their site.

You can also buy the season on iTunes for like $46 if they don't care about HD. ($65 I think if you do). Still less than a month of Bell ExpressVu, and that's for a whole year of episodes. And finally, depending on where you are, you can probably get Global or even GlobalHD digitally by antenna for free.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

StealthArcher posted:

What exactly is the legality of this? I'm assuming it fits a loophole as they're a registered business and all.

Proxies themselves are legal in the U.S. and pretty much the entire developed world, there are some activities which aren't legal (e.g. if you think a proxy will obscure your identity and you use it for hacking). As for watching Hulu and U.S. Netflix, this is a "legal" grey area; the MPAA certainly doesn't want you doing this since it screws up their demographics and advertising, but it's not like they're going to put you in jail if they catch you. There was a time where having a U.S. Satellite dish in Canada meant huge fines, not sure about now.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

In the same situation, and I haven't been able to find anything concrete on how long the sympatico email will hang around for. If you get a concrete answer on that from anywhere, could you post it here?

This info is from a few years ago, but in order to maintain your Sympatico email address you had to maintain ANY Sympatico subscription. Their cheapest is dial-up, which at the time was $12/month.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I have to say I'm surprised with how poo poo the internet is in Montreal. I just moved from Vancouver and while the upload speed is better with this connection (I think my Shaw connection was hosed and I never called it in) the download speed is 1/6th of what I got with Shaw and it costs MORE. Cable in Montreal has really really low limits (100 gigs is pretty much the ceiling and I've gone over that in a week even with this lovely connection) and ADSL seems to peak at 5/1 (twice as fast as my current connection, but I'm not sure that it's enough of an upgrade to warrant the move). I hope I can score Teksavvy's 25/7 offering when it's available, although ColbaNet isn't available in my area so I'm not holding my breath.

As for doing terabytes a month without pirating, it's surprisingly doable depending on what kind of computer stuff you have and, if you use a service like CrashPlan or BackBlaze to backup your stuff. Someone who edits a lot of personal videos who stores things in a high-quality format will accumulate terabytes quickly. Even without pirating or online backups, going over 100 gigs is very easy to do. More to the point, the amount that overage charges cost is ridiculous (a $120 overage charge for a $10 Steam game?).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jesus Christ Teksavvy, they completely screwed the pooch on my order despite my calling a few times to make sure everything was OK (it said 5 meg in one place and 25 meg on another), and now when I call today to verify that a tech is coming all of a sudden the speed is wrong (should have been 25, was put through as 5) and they have to cancel the whole appointment, meaning another week without internet and me having to organize another day off work. If they weren't the only ISP with greater than a 100 gig cap in Montreal I'd have dropped them so fast over that bullshit, especially since I called earlier to make sure everything was straight.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

Are you getting DSL, or Cable? Because it probably wasn't a TekSavvy technician who hosed things up for you, since they usually have to send out a technician from whichever company runs the lines that you need to use.

DSL. And that would be fine if I didn't call twice before and get told that everything was the way it should be and didn't find out until literally the day the tech was supposed to come out (after I'd already had to reschedule once before due to their screw-up).

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 1, 2011

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lone Rogue posted:

You will probably get a credit on your account for the errors. No idea how much, that really has to do with how you treated the CSRs on the phone and how you speak to the supervisor. As for the errors, I know some people might find this totally stupid, but people should always call and check up on their orders and confirm all details with the CSR. Mistakes happen and it's best to catch them early.

I just sent you a PM if you want me to follow your account from now on until it gets properly processed.

EDIT: Ah, so you did make calls. Unless you had an absent minded CSR every time, it sounds like it might have been Bell's fault.

Thank you very much, sent you a PM. Hopefully this can get straightened out sooner rather than later.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The main issue with Teksavvy and the source of the lion's share of the complaints against them is that, due to the way Telcos work in Canada, Teksavvy literally has no choice but to work with their competition, who in turn are legally required to provide them with the service. Because of this, all of the big ISPs that are backing the UBB decision are doing their damnedest to give Teksavvy as much trouble as possible. Teksavvy HAS to send out Bell/Rogers/whoever, who in turn only provide Teksavvy with the lowest priority tier of service with the least convenient range of hours, in a bid to make their own service more appealing. While the big ISPs are required to provide a tech, they are NOT required to provide them on short notice, so no matter how mission-critical something is, Teksavvy has absolutely no way to send out a tech on short notice, nor can they make any special exceptions. Let's pretend that McDonald's had a monopoly on beef, they were the only fast food restaurant that could provide it. Burger King and Wendy's (Teksavvy) got the FDA to mandate that McDonald's provide beef to those two restaurants, their competition, but doesn't provide much of a minimum standard of how this should be done. How much grade A beef is going to end up at those restaurants? It sucks, and it sucks hard, but it's the best they can do unless the CRTC does some serious smiting.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Migishu posted:

So apparently I'm unable to get DSL2 in my area, but about 4 or 5 blocks from me, my friend is. I'm in downtown Montreal (the Pepsi Forum at Atwater), she's down near the Atwater Market.

What the gently caress? Is there a way to find out which areas have been updated to DSL2?

drat, that sucks. I think Westmount is also ADSL2-less, I'm thinking the underpass down Atwater just past René-Lévesque is the cutoff point. If I was to venture a guess I'd say west of Decarie is fine, south of René Lévesque/the highway is fine...no idea on North and East.

In other news, after a grueling 5 hours of wrestling with confusing-as-hell wiring in my new place, my Teksavvy is now up!

Just over 21 megabits down, 4.7 megabits up. Fastest connection I've ever had by miles.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 8, 2011

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lone Rogue posted:

I'm trying not to post as much as I once did, but there's going to be changes within Teksavvy pricing in the very near future.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26720225-TekSavvy-pricing-update

If you have any questions, I'll answer them as I get more information myself.

As annoying as the CRTC BS is, I loving LOVE that 2 AM - 8 AM is becoming unlimited use and frankly this is a solution that should have been in place ages ago (I know it was in Australia and New Zealand at least 5 years ago).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

It's too bad things like Steam don't have that functionality yet.

I'm Devil's Advocating this a bit since they really shouldn't have to, but considering how widespread monthly limits are becoming, I'm surprised that Steam and some other software doesn't operate more intelligently for bandwidth considerations with options like scheduling, or only downloading something once in a multi-user household (e.g. if I have 4 Windows computers at home, it should know I don't want to download a 900 meg service pack 4 times). Right now keeping on top of all this stuff requires serious babysitting to avoid taking significant chunks out of monthly quotas.

Steam especially should really think long and hard about this, since bandwidth considerations are discouraging quite a few people I know from jumping to it.

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 3, 2012

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If it turns out to be YouTube you can change your settings so it "defaults" to the lowest quality mode (Settings\Playback Setup\Video Playback Quality\"I have a slow connection. Never play high quality video). I'd consider that a must on a plan that low.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If anyone is wondering how stupid they think Canadian consumers are, I just got a BestBuy.ca email flyer that, I poo poo you not, has the words "Upgrade your home network for speedy online tax filing" above a pic of a D-Link and Linksys router. :psyduck:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

priznat posted:

It varies on a video to video basis if they have CC/subtitles. Most don't seem to have it in my experience, though.

Pretty much this. I've watched videos with it, and it's pretty similar to the way they work in iTunes in terms of appearance if that means anything to you. For some reason cc and subtitles can be really expensive or complicated to get rights to, no idea why.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Masako posted:

Just moved from Vancouver to Montreal and signed up with Teksavvy Ultimate Cable 30. It's April 22nd, and they may not be able to get me up and running until May 9th? They said Videotron has a huge backlog. This seems insane to me. I work from home and now have to pick up a usb internet stick in the mean time I guess. I'm trying to support the little guy, but sometimes it's tough.

Not 100% sure on this, it's just a theory, but before February, all Teksavvy sign-ups on VideoTron's network had the same lovely restrictions as VideoTron themselves (i.e. sub-100 gigs/month limits for most packages with overages at $4.75 PER GIG), whereas now they have the same 300 gig with 2-8AM amnesty as the Bell lines. I suspect a lot of people trying to avoid DSL are flocking to it and there's a backlog now because of that.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Not sure how widespread this is, but Teksavvy's network routing in at least Montreal seems to have hosed the dog; most websites work but a few don't, including SA and Battle.net. At least it wasn't a week from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

:stare: Holy poo poo, I had no idea the gap was this big.