Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So I may have figured out why my Teksavvy internet's been so flaky. Bell, it seems, pairs its high-end 25 megabit service with a Cellpipe 7130, an astronomically poo poo modem/wireless router combo. I managed to reconfigure everything to the point where the Cellpipe 7130 works as a dumb modem, but it still does random disconnects and reboots. Discussion I tracked down online suggests some alternate modems, with the caveat that it depends on the specific DSLAM in my area (whether its Ikanos-based or Broadcom-based). Judging by the firmware the Cellpipe originally came with, it looks like the DSLAM is Ikanos-based, and I found a suggestion for a ZyXEL P870M-I1-VDSL2 as a third-party modem that works under this circumstance. I'm trying to track down a distributor that I can return the modem to in some capacity, even if a restocking fee is required, so I don't get burned too badly if it doesn't work, but I was wondering if anyone's pulled off a similar modem swap using VDSL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

univbee posted:

So I may have figured out why my Teksavvy internet's been so flaky.

Just to follow up on this, I discovered that Bell phased out the Cellpipe modems for its main subscribers a while back, and more recently, has started offering them to Teksavvy subscribers. They don't trade them "just because" but will do it if you have a history of problems. Since I did, they shipped one of the new Sagemcom modems to me and I should get it next week. Hopefully it'll resolve the issues I've experienced.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jesus Christ, someone start a class action, this poo poo needs to stop.

Also, I got my new modem and I think it's somehow WORSE than my old one. Gonna have to chalk it up to my area's connectivity being poo poo, I think. :(

But at least I was able to transfer close to two terabytes of data over the last two months without overage charges.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 5, 2012

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Take them to court if they try to bill you for breaking the contract, they're literally giving you half of what you agreed to. This isn't legally enforceable regardless of what you signed.

VV I've transferred that much in the last four days, it seems, according to Teksavvy's data checker.

univbee fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 5, 2012

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

In all likelihood, they'd be proceeding with civil charges as opposed to criminal. IANAL, but I'm pretty sure your computer's current contents aren't going to be considered and can't be confiscated.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ComputerNinja posted:

if I actually read the terms of service

The ones that wouldn't stand up in court if you sued them? Why exactly are you still entertaining them and not switching to Teksavvy, which while far from perfect, at least doesn't actively poo poo on its customers like this?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DuckConference posted:

By "court" do you mean the office of the arbitrator of their choosing?

Well, what they're backing on is that you won't raise enough of a fuss about it (since, let's face it, most people will either suck it up and stick with the bad ISP or pay the early termination fee); we need someone stubborn enough to go through the motions "on principle," like that guy Monster Cables tried to sue before they got eviscerated in a countered open letter.

We really need legislation like this one which is proposed in the U.S.: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/12/net-neutrality-data-bill

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Well, it was expensive as gently caress to get started, but I ditched Teksavvy DSL and got Teksavvy cable. So far it hasn't dropped the connection after having it for a week, it's a consistent 3 megabits up and 24-32 megabits down, and absolutely no data limits, for $80 with tax a month. I took a slight hit on the upload speed (was getting 5 megabits up with the DSL) but it's more than made up for with the rest of the service.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Seriously, if there's an ISP or reseller that'll offer you unlimited internet for like $10-$15 more than what you pay now, do it. I went from 300 gigs with a 2-8 A.M. unlimited window, to 24/7 unlimited, and it's the best decision I've made in a long time. I was always nervous and wasting tons of time before planning all my downloads, and now that I don't have to stress over and plan around it I feel tons better. AND it's one less avenue through which Bell gets money from me, which is always a plus.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yup, same problem here (even got a goon who worked for Teksavvy at the time to unfuck everything). Once it got hooked up it was pretty smooth sailing.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Not sure if this is happening for other ISPs as well, but VideoTron will no longer offer unlimited internet as an upgrade after April 20th. Those who sign up before then can keep it, but they won't allow accounts to acquire it after that date.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Looks like unlimited internet for Teksavvy Cable (supplied by Videotron) has gone up in price, auto-downgrading everyone to 300 gigs next month. Gonna call and see what I can do (I don't mind either paying the extra $15/month or downgrading to a slower dl speed but keeping unlimited, with the speed downgrade from 30 mbps to 20 mbps being my preferred choice).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

slidebite posted:

hopefully you don't have to reinstall windows or download several games from PSN or Steam in the same month.

The worst about this is that the PS4 doesn't currently have a method to back up game data when upgrading the hard drive, so because my hard drive is full and I don't have any disc-based games I have to redownload about 350 gigs of content to my new drive when I install it. drat good thing I have unlimited (and I'm eternally grateful I do every single day). Neither does the Xbox One but it doesn't have any way of upgrading the storage capacity, and there's a planned-but-unscheduled update to allow external USB devices as storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

priznat posted:

Is there a big difference between cable or DSL on Teksaavy? I'd be in a shaw/telus area and they both have 25Mbs plans, I think with the DSL being 2Mbs up and cable 2.5.

So:

Cable 25/2.5 - unlimited $45
DSL 25/2 - unlimited $55

Leaning towards the cable not only because it is cheaper but also the higher top end (it goes up to 100 in my area).

Is it pretty dependent on who you share the network segment with for what kind of speeds you get?

It is extremely dependent on your area. I was on DSL 25/2 (via Bell in Montreal) and would have sync issues pretty much daily, sometimes for hours at a time (I would get about 5 seconds of connectivity, then it would go down for 2 minutes, rinse repeat). Ultimately got fed up, paid $65 for a changeover to Videotron-based cable and I've had like one half-hour service interruption in the year since the changeover.