Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I hear these things called stores exist where you can buy common household products for low low prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Twiin posted:

Edit: Whatever. You guys can pretend like this is perfectly acceptable behaviour for a tech, but if someone came in here saying "loving rogers tech wouldn't help me and hung up when I asked him to look up my account info -- get this -- because i use a router!" it would be nothing but "yeah loving rogers are the worst!!" and "switch to teksavvy!!" posts for the rest of the day.

No you loving twonk it would be. "Hey maroon you should bypass your router like every other isp tech support on the planet would tell you because then they won't hang up on you and actually proceed either passing you up to a higher level tech or solve the problem."

It's like talking to a brick wall with a superiority complex with you.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 15, 2020

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Try changing your dns to 8.8.8.8 as well. I've seen funky dns cause weird loading issues with youtube.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
scrubs

The upload is at 200mb but i've rate limited it on this network.

Moving to a 1gb symmetrical by the end of the year.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I'm with Uniserve so I don't know. I just use the metrobridge speedtest because I know it's connected to a gig port wheras half the servers on speedtest.net won't go above 100Mb/s. We used them for 6 months at a remote office that we needed a 100Mb bridge to and it worked really well, professional installers, good support. If you have no other options I would say yes it's worth it, otherwise just phone Uniserve and trench fiber from the nearest Telus demarc.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 29, 2020

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Migishu posted:

Apparently upgrading my line from 16mb to 25mb will require me to pay the $100 startup fee again.

Why? Because Bell are claiming that it's a completely different service and that they'll have to have 2 technicians sent out to have it upgraded.

I call bullshit. I swear they're just trying to gently caress me out of another $100

Ever since I've moved into my apartment about 2 years ago I've had ETTS (ethernet to the suite) through Telus. It was ALWAYS a solid 25Mb/s down and 1.5Mb/s up. Free.

I came back from holidays to discover they had shut off my ethernet port. I guess they caught on that I was somehow receiving free service. So I phoned in to sign back up because I had never had problems with the service, it was always that speed, never slower, etc.

They disabled the port on the 1st but said it would take a week to re-enable because they had to send out a tech. Mind you this is in a suite with no DSL modem, no modems of any kind. All they have to do is remote into the stack of Cisco 3750's in the basement and type "no shut" on my port but for some reason the system said a tech needed to be in my suite.

So he was supposed to show up today but he went to a city about 40KM away with the complete wrong address but somehow the ethernet port was re-enabled, but it's got a QOS policy applied of 1.5Mb/s down and .75Mb/s up.

I guess the point of this story is that I loving hate how big and unwieldy large ISP's have got these days. It should not take a week to enable an ethernet port and apply the proper QOS policy. It's loving ridiculous. So I had to wait on hold for 45 minutes to report that the speed is wrong and all I got after waiting was "We'll phone you back"

loving useless.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
well now telus just shut the port back off again and i have no internet... again. So bravo telus.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

less than three posted:

I currently have Telus ETTS Internet service in my apartment (in my old room-mate's name.)

He moved out and so I called to order the service in my name. I asked if they could just provision it on an account in my name. Nope, have to send out a tech.

The equipment is already installed and I have service at the moment, but they need to send a tech out to do ______________ before it's my account/service. :raise:

I'm 95% sure the tech is going to either

a) Show up, be like "oh look you already have equipment. nothing for me to do here! :haw:" or

b) Take the perfectly good (and superior) equipment out and replace it with their newer shittier gear because ______________.

So I get to be on call Thursday ready to head over to my apartment at 30 minutes notice because they couldn't give me any specific time window the tech will be coming.

I've always been (and still am) happy with Telus' service, but this incident makes me :ughh:

edit: Bonus points if the tech brings new equipment and leaves the old stuff, which would bump up my 'Telus poo poo I don't use' collection to 2 wireless routers, an HDPVR and a digital box.

I had this exact same problem with Telus and ETTS. The first time I agreed to them sending out a tech. It took a week and he went to Coquitlam instead of Vancouver. Then they wanted me to wait another week for another tech. I gave them a ton of poo poo and I told her to force it through the system without a tech because I knew it was just a provisioning thing.

She was hesitant but finally did it and amazingly enough at around midnight when their provisioning scripts ran, I had internet without a tech.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
No. Not a chance atm.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Nothing.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Teksavvy is available anywhere Telus is. If 25 telus is available then 25 teksavvy is available. They're just a reseller.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

blackswordca posted:

Thats not what I was told by telus when I tried to switch to Teksavvy last year. Last year all Telus would give them is 6/1 and personally I never saw anything above 3.

Well Telus is lying to you then. I can't give you specifics as I had to sign an NDA but wholesale offerings are up to 25Mb/s.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
So Telus is offering a "turbo 50" not listed anywhere on their website if you qualify. $75 a month.

not too shabby at all.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
$5 a month I believe to keep your email.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Tagra posted:

Does anyone have experience with "ABC" in Northern BC? My mom used them for a bit because it was the only service she could get in an extremely rural area, and it was something like 50 bucks a month for 1.5mbps because of how they had to hook it up.

I'm hearing them on the radio a lot now talking about how you can save so much money by switching to them, but they seem to be charging 59.99 for 25mbps...

ABC Communications is a wireless isp / telus dsl reseller. If you can get telus 25Mb/s then you can get ABC. It's just like getting teksavvy. If you live out the boonies where dsl is not available then they come put up cheap wireless equipment and cap you like crazy.

I own a wisp and compete with them in several towns. If your mom is in northern bc I might service one of her areas and can get her up to 10Mb/s. just be more specific.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Tagra posted:

It was outside of Fort Fraser, but she has passed away now. It was a bit of a struggle for her to get the service... there was something about needing a tower to be visible for it to work there and they had just installed a new one nearby which opened up the service.

Sorry to hear about your mom. Yep that is right in one of my service areas.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I can't wait cause these new rates might actually make it worth it to resell dsl in certain areas I have. In addition to doing wireless.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
TCC Alberta and British Columbia – Residential
Speed Monthly access rate
1 Mbps $17.40
1.5 to 6 Mbps $17.97
15 Mbps $26.51
25 Mbps $29.84

heh..

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

teethgrinder posted:

I can quite clearly see the total bandwidth passing through the router (WRT54GL with Tomato). It reflects what my PC is doing extremely accurately. The router is old though, it's possible that it's starting to fail I suppose.

I gave up on support last night after waiting on hold for over half an hour. Will try again now.

edit: actually I'll check with my building's Facebook group to see if anyone else is having trouble.

You always. Always. ALWAYS bypass your router before phoning in. A good majority of the time it's going to be your equipment causing massive latency like that. Especially with a 9 year old router. It's time for an upgrade on that thing.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
use. internet. without. router. see. if. problem. continues.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
You should pick a closer speedtest server. For example here's a test on a 200Mb line in toronto teksavvy.

Here's vancouver

Obviously you're testing with lower speeds but latency and distance can do funny things to a speedtest. Have you tried testing with any other means when you're having these problems?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
What server do you have picked in steam? is it seattle?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
How fast does this download for you?

http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

seems normal to me, maybe it's your router? What is it?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
pick seattle instead of vancouver, I don't even see those on the list

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/?l=english

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
DSLReports is the shittiest forum on the internet.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Squibbles posted:

Apparently you haven't seen very many forums on the internet

shittiest internet/tech forum.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
lol you fool. Get off ISP emails.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

slush posted:

Some days on TekSavvy I feel like I am going back to 56k. This is my 25/2 connection after say 8pm:

Yes your 5Mb/s is totally like a .04Mb/s dial up connection

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I have a lot of respect for Marc. I know I wouldn't be able to deal with all the idiots posting on there. poo poo like these key quotes.

"You seem to contradict yourself. First you say that you can't fix it and then two sentences later you say that you are working very hard to fix everything. Which is it? Can you please provide some detail as to what steps you are taking to fix everything, if in fact you are working to fix it."

"Been with Teksavvy for 2 months and been through THREE multi-day outages.... Piss poor if you ask me. Not worth the $30 savings to be inconvenienced like this.... Is Teksavvy going to issue credit for downtime? This may seem petty, but considering how many people are affected both personally and professionally it would seem the very LEAST you could do."

Yes. You deserve that credit for a home service with no expectation of uptime! Not like they're paying the $1xxx it would be for a business connection with an SLA.

"I work from home and have had to hotspot as well. The charges are going to be killer.

Every time TS has a problem, they throw up their hands and say that it's not their fault, that it is Bell's or Rogers' issue and that they only re-sell their service. I call BS on that."

gently caress teksavvy's customer base.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Because poo poo happens that is out of their control and you are not paying for a service with guaranteed uptime? If you have a job that you would be losing more money than a business connection is worth when the internet goes down then you should pay for that. Or pay for a second home internet connection through DSL or something. Everyone feels entitled to everything. Boo hoo I signed an agreement that says I'm not owed anything when it goes down, I want a month credit.

Fun fact. A three day outage and you would demand a credit would be $3.87 on their $40 package. So the time you waste on hold, talking to the rep, just to get your $4 credit? Do these people not have any lives or what cause what a loving waste of time.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Guess we will have to agree to disagree then. I don't think you are owed any sort of retribution when it says right in the terms of service you agree to that you don't get that.

Do you go to your hydro company for refunds when the power goes out?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Sure I would complain. I wouldn't ask for refunds.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I would cancel service and move to a new provider.

teethgrinder posted:

You don't pay for hydro while it's out ;)

BUT YOU'RE PAYING FOR THE HYDRO TO BE ON 24/7 AND WHEN THE POWER WAS OFF MY BUSINESS LOST MONEY SO gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

The Gunslinger posted:

Yep, there is no middle ground at all there. You're either a GIMME GIMME person or you're a salt of the earth, passive non-complainer who takes everything in stride.

lol.

My time is just worth more than the petty crap people do to get a small refund.

Yes if I signed up and it was a month and never got service I would ask for all the money to be refunded and go to a different provider. It's the small outages that causes all the bitching and moaning that gets me.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Methanar posted:

gently caress YEAH, CANADA!

70GB/MONTH FOR $60 @ 5MBPS WITH 50% PACKET LOSS?

SURE WHY NOT WE'RE A MONOPOLY.

What kind of equipment do they use? Wireless ISP's can be a fickle thing. The cap for them I can understand because I assume you live in the middle of buttfuck nowhere.

Have you tried phoning and troubleshooting?

edit:

lol went on their site http://www.mcsnet.ca/services-wireless.php and if they are actually using 900MHz Canopy then you're getting MAX 3Mb down. The access point can only support 4Mb/s so if anyone but you is using it it will go to poo poo.

Otherwise if those pictures are accurate they are using the best PMP wireless equipment and they're either oversubscribed or have a poor backend.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 1, 2013

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Just bought some of the new 2.4 450 equipment. Can't wait to see how it performs. The link budgets look amazing.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
If that's the owner's response then I would cancel service. Is there any other options?

All wireless ISP's are not run the same. Unfortunately there's a lot of lovely ones that don't really know what they're doing.

Get him to paste some screenshots of the following

If there's ethernet errors then you've got a cable problem. If your signal sucks then it's an alignment / interference issue. You can also get him to run a linktest.

There's no reason to have that much packet loss and not come up with a solution for you.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
cool. cancel your connection.