Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

less than three posted:

TV service is required in order to get Optik.

Not sure if it's Optik or not, but I have 15mbps service with telus and I don't have TV.

Only real complaints I have with them is their upload speed absolutely blows. Like .8mbps. Down is pretty close though, 13-15. I get 1.5 megabyte/sec on a good connection. For my needs, its OK.

I don't torrent so it doesn't bother me, but I could see it being an issue potentially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

MikeSevigny posted:

I was kind of out of it all December so I didn't hear about this latest Telus BS with the bandwidth caps. Weirdly, that Telus bulletin link being passed around doesn't seem to mention them anymore, and the telus page still lists the existing caps. Shouldn't they be changing those or e-mailing me about this, or at least leaving it up where I can see it?

edit: Not that I really expect any kind of basic decency from Telus, the company that blocked its employee union's website during a strike.

I am not holding my breath, but I am wondering if they got cold feet. According to a couple of posts on dslreports, people have filed complaints with the CCTS which have been accepted so the ball is now in Telus's court to respond. I know I've complained via their online system (although I am generally nowhere near the caps). I just think the whole thing stinks. They way they've gone about it is underhanded and borderline deceitful. I only heard about it on the forums, and the only official notice I ever received from telus was a small font note on the bottom of my bill saying "BTW, caps are changing to 250GB month Feb".

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Also regarding telus, they're still advertising their plans at the "old" cap levels
http://telus.com/content/internet/high-speed/

Considering they're supposed to be gone in less than a month now and they could be royally screwing themselves with the regulators, my guess is

A: They're completely incompetent

B: Not going through with it... at least not at this moment.

My guess is "B"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The only official notice I ever received was a very small footnote at the bottom of my last bill. No question imho they hoped to fly under the radar on this.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well we're supposedly 2 weeks away from the new telus caps. Their website still shows the old caps

http://telus.com/content/internet/high-speed

and my last bill had no mention of the terms changing.

The silence from them has been deafening.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, word on the street is telus IS changing the caps, but the icing on the cake is now they're jacking up rates to boot

http://telus.com/content/help/customer-messages/article.jsp?categoryId=internet&articleId=internet-rate-change

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Skeematic posted:

Wasnt the cap change supposed to go in to effect yesterday today? The website still shows the same caps as before. Also, they removed the option in my account to actually view usage, I hope they bring it back.
I think it is the 4th or something like that.

Screw it. I am going to change from Telus. I will probably keep them for our land line (undecided), but Tecksaavy is looking pretty reasonable as an ISP even if it costs me more just to say gently caress you Telus.

To be fair, I almost certainly use <100GB a month and have never really torrented to any extent (zero for a couple of years now), but the whole principal of the thing loving blows.

I've had Telus as an ISP since the early 90s.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 2, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, I'm checking into Teksavvy and I think I'm going to probably change. I've got a couple of questions to ask my unbiased and knowledgeable friends here about options though:

http://teksavvy.com/en/residential/internet/dsl/high-speed-dsl-25---ab

quote:

TELUS - Static IP AB $4.00 / month
TELUS - /26 Subnet AB $80.00 / month
TELUS - /27 Subnet AB $40.00 / month
TELUS - /28 Subnet AB $20.00 / month
TELUS - /30 Subnet AB $5.00 / month
I know what a static IP is, but what is this whole "subnet" thing?

quote:

AB Band A $7.04 / month
AB Band B $9.58 / month
AB Band C $11.00 / month
AB Band D $10.48 / month
AB Band E $16.53 / month
AB Band F $14.18 / month
AB Band G $16.20 / month
Dry Loop Activation Fee $39.99
What the hell is a dryloop and should I have one?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Been reading the teksavvy section on DSL reports and see lots of complaints with people bitching about slow speed. Seems mostly cable, but still.. making me second guess.

How is there service in general? Can anyone here vouch for them?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks guys :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, take their online availibility tool with a grain of salt. Even though I have Telus 25MB service:

Teksavvy Support posted:

Thank you for your interest, Regretfully after qualifying your location we have determined that High speed internet services with TekSavvy are unavailable. We hope that as we continue to grow and advance that we can welcome you to our high speed internet services in the future.

Now I guess all I can do it bitch and whine at Telus for lovely and underhanded customer service.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

I've been voicing my displeasure with Telus over Twitter about their new "more for less pricing scheme" and this is what they're saying:

"...In no way is this punishing. It will be used to better manage our network performance Usage caps are an industry standard. TELUS’ caps are as well the most generous in the industry, twice those of many other ISPs. We do understand where you are coming from, but this will ensure a better infrastructure for all."

Yes, the industry of 2 companies. Thanks CRTC.

I started CC'ing one of those CTV news "problem solvers" when Telus got super defensive. Join in on the fun and message @TELUSsupport and @Telus about their wonderful prices. Be sure to CC your local "problem solver" news personality for added fun.

Good idea. Really. I never use twitter, but if it gets a response from them, it's worth it.

Edit: Teksavvy Martin PM'd me in the DSL forums and confirmed that I *AM* able to get 25MB DSL service with them!

God I hope so. I want to tell Telus to stuff it.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 5, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I just cancelled my Telus DSL service and signed up for Teksavvy.

The Telus rep was very sympathetic and did what he could to try and keep me, but I told him that Telus management/decision makers have shown nothing but contempt to actually roll back service and charge a higher price for it and I had no choice but to vote with my wallet. I've been an internet customer of theirs since dial up in the early 90s (and phone since AGT inheritance days).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The rep did say I would lose the email which I haven't used since about 1998 so I didn't care or inquire about keeping it. You may want to start transferring to a different email though if you think you might leave them eventually. :)

I kept my landline with them too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, tonight at midnight I officially sign off of Telus as my ISP for the first time since about 1995. They said I can expect the DSL signal to go off almost exactly at midnight, but potentially early in the AM. Either way, it should be gone by the time I get up in the morning.

I already received my Teksavvy Zyxel Router and I get a good signal broadcast from the basement, so here's to hoping Teksavvy can get the DSL hooked up relatively early tomorrow... with the Telus tech of course.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I am still waiting on my teksavvy DSL firing up, but interestingly my Telus modem is still picking up a telus signal, although it is dog-balls slow.. as in 300 baud. Makes for fun browsing but better than nothing!

Regarding Cable/DSL, I have never used Cable, but I have been very happy with my DSL connection. The only issue I had ever had with Telus was their bullshit business practices, not quality of the product. I had a 25/5 DSL connection, and I always got extremely close to that regardless of time of day. Before my 25 service, I was on a 15 plan and it too was great. Constraints always seemed to be on the website I was visiting or network issues outside of Telus's responsibility.

If you go to the Canadian DSLreports forum, most of the connectivity issues seem to be cable problems. Not to say that DSL has no problems either, but the majority of problems do seem to be cable related. It could be because cable is more popular so there is more people to have problems. :shrug:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 12, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

Does Telus offer Internet retention plans? I'm eyeing TekSavvy now but it'll still be $50 for unlimited 15/1 rather than $45 (not unlimited) with my homephone bundle at Telus. I'd still need to buy a modem, etc too.

Telus may give you a limited time discount of maybe $15 per month or something if you are lucky. Isnt the $50 tksvy package 25/2 though? I think thats what I am getting in Alberta.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

First impression with teksavvy is not good. They hosed up on my address so telus rejected the hookup request and now they cant come by for a week. Good going guys. No internet other than my work phone for a week.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, I am optimistic once I'm running all will be good. At least, that's what I am hoping for :ohdear:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, after the fiasco earlier this week with Teksavvy starting my service, I'm trying to stay on top of it with them for my "new" install scheduled for this coming Tuesday.

When I first went down this road with dumping Telus and going to Teksavvy, I started a thread on the Teksavvy support forum on dslreports as per their request to qualify my service. My OP clearly states my physical street address, mailing address and landline phone # (since it's DSL).

The first gently caress up with them is they transposed my address and Telus rejected it. My address is something like "Elm Street, North" and they submitted it as "North Elm Street". Fine, Telus are a bunch of dicks and people make mistakes. I've the one who has to live with it, but whatever.

So, now with my new date (which wasn't confirmed, a full week after my original install date) I get a post back from Teksavvy saying Telus rejected it too because of an incorrect #. They used my daytime contact # (cell) as my DSL service line #... even though my land line # is in my OP and I think I only gave my cell info as an alternate to billing when I set up my acct :psyduck:

Jesus christ guys, I understand accidents happen but holy gently caress.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

VERTiG0 posted:

Don't worry about it, that's absolutely not indicative of their service once you've got it going. It'll still be better than Telus.

I am certainly using that viewpoint as the light at the end of the tunnel. I borrowed a 3G USB stick from work so I am not screwed for the time being, but it obviously isn't a long term solution.

Tagra posted:

http://www.ipolitics.ca/2013/02/15/telus-reports-profits-up-22-8-in-q4/

"We have to raise prices to keep up with the rising costs and stay competitive" :qq:
As a shareholder of Telus, I am glad. As a customer of Telus, gently caress them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Latest update is Teksavvy has a confirmed Monday install date for me, which surprises me since it's earlier than the day they planned a couple days ago and also a holiday here. Only reason it must even be possible is telus works their service techs like rented mules or something.

So, here's to hoping this Monday we'll be rockin' out on our unlimited Teksavvy connection.

Also, been seeing some posts about "unlimited internets" on dslreports from some of the mainstream providers? Is the world going Topsy-turvey or something?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Tedgewick posted:

Edit: http://www.colba.net/main.php?lang=fr&cont=iptv There is your Canadian HBO served over resold DSL. When HBO's little bundle costs $12.95 on top of at $20 TV package on top of minimal-margin DSL, it clearly will never cost "like 100/mo just for hbo go or something crazy."

I hate to be a dick, but I don't think you have any clue what adults pay for television services.
My French is poor (as in 20+ years ago grade school so I used google translate) but don't you need the minimal adsl service and IPTV bundle on the top of that page at $70/month as a minimum? I don't see a $20 "tv package" there, or am I just missing it? Unless you mean that Trio package but I am assuming that's each for 3 TVs? :confused:

Also, is that on demand or live streaming? If it is streaming and you're forced to buy that other stuff to get it, it doesn't look better than cable or satellite.

Also, chill out a bit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, $50 per month including the dsl connection? Looks like 24mbps too. That's not too shabby.

e: Just received a call from Telus confirming my teksavvy install tomorrow. Knock on wood we should be good to go!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I am now part of the teksavvy family. Telus decides to pull through for the hook-up. Getting pretty reliably 24/2.8, which is better than what I expected.

Zigmidge posted:

:hfive: Rogers just confirmed our cable install for teksavvy to happen on Tuesday. Here's to our setups going painlessly!
How did you pan out?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DSL reports is in a bit of a tizzy about this upcoming CRTC decision:
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/decisions.htm

quote:

Telecom Regulatory Policy:

Disposition of review and vary applications with respect to wholesale high-speed access services: Introductory statement
File numbers: 8662-C182-201202324, 8662-C182-201200063, 8662-B54-201202259,
8662-M59-201202275, 8662-R28-201201699, 8662-V48-201201722, 8662-S9-201201342, 8662-T143-201202309

Can someone enlighten a n00b like me about why this is so important?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

8ender posted:

If I'm not mistaken that decision is the one where the CRTC will release the new wholesale rates that incumbents like Telus, Bell, Rogers, etc use to sell access to indie's like Teksavvy under the new usage based wholesaling scheme. Everyone has been using interim rates set by the CRTC for the last year or so. This is a big deal because the current interim rates are ridiculous and don't let companies like Teksavvy compete on price and makes it very hard to offer unlimited plans without essentially making their service a charity. Start.ca for example essentially loses money on their 45/4 cable plan, and under the current rates cannot hope to offer the higher Rogers speed tiers.
That makes sense. I saw a post once by Marc @ Teksavvy saying his prices have been a gamble based on this upcoming decision so now I know what he meant by that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Vintersorg posted:

No one else to really go to here since the alternative is loving MTS DSL.
Is that bad?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Posted this in dslr as well, but wondered if someone here might be able to shed some light on why this happens:

I am a new Teksavvy DSL customer that moved over from Telus. So far, I am happy with my speeds. Something I noticed though is that my IP Geolocates to Vancouver/Lower mainland for speedtest.net and news websites when I am actually in southern Alberta.

When I do speedtests, my speeds are fine but my ping does seem to travel a bit more than before. With my old Telus service, I used to get anywhere from 5-40ms pings, now the best I get is about 45 and usually 90-120ms.

I have done the normal powering on/off the router and PCs a couple of times.

Ideas?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Paying for 18/1 and getting that download is pretty snazzy.

Here is mine

Notice my ping doesn't seem quite as good as with Telus but splitting hairs at that.

edit: 25/2 plan so pretty much bang on with a decent upload, not that I really care about that.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 20, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

8ender posted:

Actually the rates for Bell DSL are going down but Rogers, Cogeco and Videotron cable is going up to point that higher tiers wont be sustainable without significant caps.

The decision looks good at a glance but basically fucks the independents chances of competing with the new unlimited plans being rolled out by the incumbents.

So is DSL going to be subsidizing the other services for them?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Here is the thread on DSLR where Marc (CEO Of Teksavvy) has been answering a lot of questions. This links to basically when the news started coming out:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28015434-Major-CRTC-decision-next-week.-CBB~start=360

Basically, even though there are tons of people asking specifics (even though the decision literally just came out) it's starting to look like the West is where they're biggest potential and profitable new market is, disappointed with the cable decision by and large BUT hasn't decided yet what the impact will be.

As a new Teksavvy customer on DSL in Alberta, I don't see anyway how this will be bad for me but it does look like the heavy cable users in Ont and PQ are disappointed and increases will probably be coming down the pipe.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Looks like you may be in for some pain potentially, but Marc has said repeatedly that they have to digest the numbers and see how to make them work best.

I also read a lot of this decision is retroactive too?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Can't help but, gotta ask:

I AM BRAWW posted:

Videotron has high speed, but no unlimited download. Got a 700$ bill in a single month v:v:von them?
how much did you download?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is DSL an option? I get rock sold 2.4MB down, often 2.8+ on things like Steam with my 25/2 plan

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What has Teksavvy customer support said about it?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Teksavvy is starting to put out their new rates based on CRTC decision fallout on DSL reports:

Taksavvy Marc posted:

Hey Gang,

Here's what we're looking at for Cogeco territory in Ontario.

6 mbps
75 Gigs - $26.95
300 Gigs - $32.95
Unlimited - $44.95

10 mbps
150 Gigs - $39.95
300 Gigs - $44.95
Unlimited - $59.95

20 mbps
150 Gigs - $49.95
300 Gigs - $54.95
Unlimited - $79.95

30 mbps
150 Gigs - $64.95
300 Gigs - $69.95
Unlimited - $99.95

60 mbps
150 Gigs - $96.95
300 Gigs - $116.95
Unlimited - $191.95

unlimited usage between 2am and 8am
:eek:

Taksavvy Marc posted:

Hey Gang,

Here's what we're looking at for Telus territory out west.

6 mbps
300 Gigs - $29.99
Unlimited - $34.99

15 mbps
300 Gigs - $39.99
Unlimited - $47.99

25 mbps
300 Gigs - $44.99
Unlimited -$54.99
I think Telus dropped $5-ish per month. Reasonable IMHO. Loving my 25mbps connection.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 4, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

teethgrinder posted:

So part of my internet issues was simply this weird YouTube/twitch.tv caching server:

http://mitchribar.com/2013/02/time-warner-cable-sucks-for-youtube-twitchtv/

Blocking it makes everything actually stream lighting fast again.

The instructions say Time-Warner Cable, but it seems to affect Rogers and TekSavvy customers too, at least from looking at broadbandreports.com.

Holy poo poo, it does make a difference.

Followed the steps on his page here:
http://mitchribar.com/2013/02/how-to-stop-youtube-sucking-windows-guide/

for Win7 and seems to have worked really well. Thanks for the heads-up! :)

PS - Is there a way to put that into the Zyxel router instead of per machine?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Anybody else that did that IP block above for youtube notice any difference with Steam? I don't know if it's just me, but it seems "slow" when navigating now. Don't know if it's a coincidence or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Steam seems fine now, must have just been a fluke this afternoon. Thanks for checking though. :)