Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

^^For what it's worth, when my sister-in-law suddenly passed away before Christmas, Rogers cancelled her service stupid easy for me. As in, I didn't even have to jump through the flaming hoops I was expecting. I said she had passed away, this is her name and acct# and they said sorry for your loss and have a nice day. In other words, saying you're dead may not be a crazy idea! :shobon: ^^

For those of you in Telus land, Teksavvy has confirmed that the 50mbps tier of DSL is available.

I am trying to confirm pricing and availability for my neck of the woods. If it isn't a big premium, I'll probably jump up.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, I have something interesting happen the past few days.

I noticed this past weekend that my Steam downloads would top out at approx 1.5MB/sec. Normally, I'd get 2.3-2.6 on my 25/2 DSL... and have always either with Telus or Teksavvy (who I am with now).

I thought it might be a Steam server issue, so I changed servers and no difference.

I did some speedtests and noticed some interesting results. During the day (like now), I'd get my "normal" 22-23ish/2.8

However, during the evenings I'd get wildly different speeds.. ranging generally around 10-ish/2.8. Teksavvy on DSL reports asked me to do some speedtests through their mini server:

http://speedtest.teksavvy.com/ (which is based out of Toronto I believe)

Results are not good

Speedtest.net servers gave wildly different speeds too... anywhere from 7-20 down.

This is my tracert to the teksavvy speedtest server last night
code:
C:\Windows>tracert speedtest.teksavvy.com

Tracing route to speedtest.teksavvy.com [206.248.140.50]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  dsldevice.Home [192.168.1.1]
  2    40 ms    39 ms    39 ms  erx01.van.teksavvy.com [76.10.191.6]
  3    42 ms    39 ms    39 ms  76-10-191-28.dsl.teksavvy.com [76.10.191.28]
  4    39 ms    41 ms    49 ms  v504.core1.yvr1.he.net [64.71.138.205]
  5    50 ms    49 ms    50 ms  10gigabitethernet4-1.core1.sea1.he.net [184.105.
222.1]
  6    75 ms    75 ms    75 ms  10gigabitethernet3-1.core1.den1.he.net [184.105.
213.42]
  7   107 ms    99 ms    99 ms  10gigabitethernet7-1.core1.chi1.he.net [184.105.
213.85]
  8   121 ms   111 ms   120 ms  10gigabitethernet3-3.core1.tor1.he.net [184.105.
213.149]
  9   109 ms   115 ms   109 ms  gw-teksavvy.torontointernetxchange.net [206.108.
34.67]
 10   112 ms   161 ms   132 ms  2110.ae0.agg01.tor.packetflow.ca [69.196.136.44]

11   109 ms   125 ms   112 ms  speedtest.teksavvy.com [206.248.140.50]

Trace complete.
Modem has been rebooted and it is not unique to my PC. I have tried it in safemode and done speedtests with the other 3 PCs in the house both wired and wireless.

All show similar results. Linestats from the other day are:

code:
Link Power State: L0
Mode: VDSL2 Annex A
VDSL2 Profile: Profile 8b
TPS-TC: PTM Mode
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 27.2 9.0
Attn(dB): 0.0 0.0
Pwr(dBm): 2.1 -8.6

VDSL2 framing
Bearer 0
MSGc: 26 90
B: 237 46
M: 1 1
T: 50 36
R: 16 16
S: 0.2883 0.4785
L: 7077 1070
D: 2 2
I: 255 64
N: 255 64

Counters
Bearer 0
OHF: 56437971 218803
OHFErr: 1 0
RS: 2821885200 1413679
RSCorr: 467 31
RSUnCorr: 4 0

ReXmt: 1034 3114
ReXmtCorr: 966 1642
ReXmtUnCorr: 4 1960

Bearer 0
HEC: 4 0
OCD: 1 0
LCD: 1 0
Total Cells: 1709972633 0
Data Cells: 356330157 0
Drop Cells: 0
Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 1 0
SES: 0 0
UAS: 22 22
AS: 204153

Bearer 0
INP: 36.00 19.00
INPRein: 0.00 0.00
delay: 10 6
PER: 3.61 12.97
OR: 70.77 59.21
AgR: 26317.99 3130.89

Bitswap: 9471/9471 26004/26191

Total time = 1 days 8 hours 42 min 55 sec
FEC: 467 31
CRC: 1 0
ES: 1 0
UAS: 22 22
LOS: 0 0
LOF: 0 0
LOM: 0 0
Latest 15 minutes time = 12 min 55 sec
FEC: 2 2
CRC: 0 0
ES: 0 0
UAS: 0 0
LOS: 0 0
LOF: 0 0
LOM: 0 0
Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
FEC: 0 0
CRC: 0 0
ES: 0 0
UAS: 0 0
Now, I do have Teksavvy looking into it, but does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? It's almost like congestion but that still doesn't explain why Steam would only download at 1.5/sec even when I get good bandwidth speedtests like right now at 23/2.8

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh yes, I realize that the remoteness will certainly effect it. A closer server I get anywhere from 7-23 (23-ish being what it should be).

BUT, I JUST HAD A BRAINWAVE :psypop:

Remember those posts a week or two ago about making rules in the cmd prompt to get rid of IP ranges for making youtube run better? I am wondering if that could have anything to do with it.

How do you see what rules are in force via the command prompt and delete all of them?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, I just turned the firewall right off in the GUI instead of poking around. Got a spike of 1.8 mb/sec on steam but settled around 1.5 as before, so you're probably right.

Any ideas?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I've tried Seattle, Seattle Comcast, Denver, Vancouver and San Jose.

Peak at 1.5~ish on all.

edit:

Current speedtest.net

is pretty much what it should be, but Steam is still about 1MB/Sec lower than it should be.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 20, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Getting expected speeds of approx 2.5 mb/sec which coincides with my "normal" speedtest results. I'll bookmark and test again later.

Is there some stupid Steam setting or something I'm missing?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 20, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah,

slidebite posted:

I thought it might be a Steam server issue, so I changed servers and no difference.
I've changed to 5 or 6 servers and they're all the same for me. :(

Are there any other settings I might be missing? Other than my server, my settings are the same as your screencap.

edit:
Holy poo poo, Steam pulls from a lot of places

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 21, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's a Teksavvy sourced Zyxel 1432 which worked like a champ for everything including Steam but yeah, I'm starting to run out of options and I'm stumped.

But you know, just as I made this screen shot, it's spiked up to 1.8 a few times (holy poo poo slow down I know)

Maybe it's just a glitch. I'll just check it periodically.

Edit: If I uninstall my steam client and reinstall a new one, would that gently caress up the games I have somehow?

double edit: Uninstalled and reinstalled. Same thing :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 21, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Way ahead of you. Seattle, Seattle Comcast, Vancouver, Denver, San Jose, doesn't seem to make any difference.

I am genuinely confused since I can get full capacity in firefox (like that test you linked to earlier).

Edit: This is interesting. A dude on the Teksavvy forums of DSLR in the Shaw service area says he is having a similar problem. I wonder if there is something going on? :raise:

Can other Teksavvy people here help a brother out and check this too if you use Steam?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 22, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not that anyone probably care a ton, I did a complete C: wipe and fresh windows reinstall (not due to this - been meaning to for other reasons). Still the same thing.

So, I guess that means it is likely network related. Oh well, not going to put any more time into it although if someone has an epiphany I'd be :allears:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

:siren: :w00t: I SOLVED IT!!!!!! :w00t: :siren:

I have my windows updates set to manual, and I just remembered doing a "recommended driver update" for my wireless card about a couples weeks ago. Since I did a fresh re-install today, I paid close attention to all of my updates and one of them was for my Wireless ASUS card. Since I did all my windows updates before installing my software I didn't try Steam without it.

However, on a absolute hunch (because I tried everything else) I rolled back the driver to generic MS Railink driver 3.0.0.41 from Feb 2009 which was the default driver on Windows 7. And VOILA! Kick rear end downloads again! (well, for my ISP package!). My wifes PC has a similar wireless so I need to roll hers back now too.

It makes me wonder how many other people are in the same boat?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DarkJC posted:

I had an unrelated problem recently (corrupted images in my browser as if they were only partially downloaded and corrupted downloads among other things), doing that same thing completely fixed my issue as well. Those new drivers are terrible.
You know, it's funny you mention that. I was noticing a similar thing too. I actually thought maybe my GTX 570 was starting to flake out, but I didn't have problems in games. I wonder if that's what it is too? If so, holy poo poo yeah, what terrible drivers.

Dudebro posted:

gently caress wireless. I'd rather get a powerline adapter than go through the hassle of wireless, at least for my main computer and gaming one. But maybe I'm only saying this because my new place has given me a ton of problems with unstable wireless (my wireless was fine in my old place).

Other than this I've actually had awesome luck with wireless. That said, I use a powerline adapter for my PS3 because, well, PS3 wireless is loving awful.. and I've had good luck with that. It works really well.

The most I see is 25-ish down so I'm not anywhere near the limits of wireless though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Crazy dude posting on DSL reports thinking that teksavvy should be his personal white knight against evil bell.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28136867-bell-calls-my-68-year-old-dad-sayign-crazy-stuff

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's too bad too, because RFD actually has, from time to time, decent links.

DSL reports is only decent because of the on the spot Teksavvy support and news which is kind of interesting.

Suniikaa posted:

Looks like telus changed the admin/tech passwords on the actiontec routers, anyone know the new logins?

The force out a firmware update through DSL? I didn't know they did that.

EngineerJoe posted:

The post is gone... what did it say?

I should have copied it before it got nuked. I am not making any of the below up, but it is paraphrased. It was the best I could comprehend through the spelling, virtually no punctuation and run on sentences.

Basically, some crazy guy melting down because Bell apparently has him in collections due to 2 television PVRs they billed him for. But he returned them and has proof.

Because of this, 3 years ago (??) Bell cut off his phone so when he was shot he couldn't call 911. However, he was able to email (??) Andre at Teksavvy (??!!) for help and he saved his life.

Andre thanked him by wearing a dress.

Now, Bell is HARASSING this very important crazy man, because collection agents calling him and his 68 year old grandfather in a old folks home. This will give him a HEART ATTACK!

Teksavvy needs to call Bell for him because he is a teksavvy customer after all.

Other DSL posters questioned him to be reasonable as it isn't teksavvy's issue in the slightest and he should be contacting Bell. This was only to be answered in a diatribe about how CUSTOMER SERVICE is important and Teksavvy should contact Bell on his behalf because he gets his internet through them DAMMIT. It's like you enjoy Pepsi and Coke calls your dad at home telling lies about you. Or something.

Before it got nuked, it got to the point of him FILING A LAWSUIT against Bell and he is going to also file against Teksavvy too because it is their duty to help him! As a matter of a fact, he is now going to leave them! That will show them! (this all took place in about 30 minutes real time).

Harrassment! Illegal! Heart Attack!

:wtc:

I'm paraphrasing but that really was the jest of it.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 26, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Since I did my windows reformat, I never bothered re-doing that IP exclude for YouTube buffering mentioned earlier.

Interestingly, I've noticed YouTube is still playing fantastically either way. 1080P streaming no problem and my pings for speedtest dropped from an average of 35ms to 25.

Anyone else on Teksavvy notice any changes?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

windows

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

lizzyinthesky posted:

Hey BC Goons, anyone familiar with Mobile Internet sticks and the like? I am working with a political campaign and we want to have internet in our mobile campaign HQ. We probably realistically need it for one laptop and won't need it past May obviously and we won't want to be liable for a contract so we'd need to buy it outright. Thoughts/suggestions? We're also in an area without Mobilicity/Wind/whatever other upstarts coverage, sadly.
Not in BC, but I used a Telus stick (and still do from time to time). Data transfer was decent, but the biggest PITA was that the signal dropped quite often even when used in a non-moving desktop. Like at least once every 15 minutes. Was very annoying to have to sign in again.

Couldn't comment about the price because I really didn't care and wasn't picking up the tab :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Personally, I don't torrent or anything and the 3MB/Sec that my Telus 25mb line gives me is tons fast for what I need. Streams 1080 with Netflix/whatever just great. Only thing that could use even more bandwidth would be downloading Multi-GB games over steam but really, I have that in the background and it's done soon enough anyhow.

My 02c would be to with whatever is cheaper in your area.

ZShakespeare posted:

Teksavvy sent me an email telling me that my price had been lowered, but it didn't say what they new price was, so after hunting a bit I ended up on dsl forums and found the new price list and the new price is the same as the old price >: (

Telus land 25MB?

Teksavvy posted:

As of your next billing date, you will notice that the Internet package you are subscribing to will change from High Speed DSL 25 Unlimited / DSL ŕ Haute Vitesse 25 Illimité at $54.99 to High Speed DSL 25 Unlimited / DSL 25 Illimité at $54.99.
Gee, thanks for the news guys!
:downs:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 3, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Rawrbomb posted:

Is bell still doing crappy massive bandwidth shaping? I remember being in the Mississauga area, and regardless of the connection with bell or the package, some stuff just wouldn't go faster than 80KB/s.
Yeah I thought there was a big deal about their throttling, or is that one of the things the CRTC told them they can't do?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

For those of you that haven't received the email, Teksavvy is doing some system upgrades in the wee hours over the next few days so your connection may go down.

Teksavvy posted:

Dear TekSavvy Customer,

TekSavvy is growing its network! As a result of significant network upgrades please be aware of the following maintenence windows.
Monday, April 8th 1AM to 6AM
Tuesday, April 9th 1AM to 6AM
Wednesday, April 10th 1AM to 6AM
Thursday, April 11th 1AM to 6AM

After the times shown above you will be able to use the Internet as normal. For more information please read the FAQ's below.

Frequently Asked Questions

Will this change affect the speed of my connection?
The speed of your connection will remain the same.

Will I now be able to get a faster package?
The improvements and investments we are making in our network are making way for many of the new packages, speeds and areas we have announced.

What do I do if I cannot access the Internet after 6AM on the above dates?
If your service is not active, please unplug your modem from the power source for approximately 5 minutes and then plug it back in. Once this is completed, your service will function as it always has.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I was under the impression it was system wide from the freakouts I read on DSLR. Apologies!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Demon_Corsair posted:

That looks like you need to sign up for more then one service to get it, and all I want is internet. Guess I will just have to cross my fingers and hope that my new area isn't as saturated. :(

God I miss SaskTel.

Teksavvy DSL might be an option too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hey guys, I have a question I thought I'd ask here before going to Netflix for help.

I have a 25mb DSL connection with Teksavvy that has been really reliable since I got past some initial teething issues.

I have Netflix and I also subscribe to UnoDNS so I can get the US programming and I find it works really well.

Here is my problem:

I reset my PS3 to not be on UnoDNS and just used standard internet settings so I can watch Canadian netflix again as (shocker) a couple programs we wanted to see were only on the Canadian side, not the US.

Interestingly, the Canadian side has issues with the video pausing periodically, sometimes for seconds at a time. Audio continues streaming just great though. It's almost like the system can't handle the HD streaming but I have no problem streaming HD on US Netflix.

Any ideas what's going on?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If it's an ISP issue, any idea why streaming through the US DNS would work fine? Doesn't it still have to go through the same pipes to my house? Or do I misunderstand how it works?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

unknown posted:

You've got it right, just the problem isn't at your house/neighborhood. The isp has multiple upstream providers (ie not same path in their network). Just when you're talking so much actual bandwidth being used in their case (the 10s of gigs comment I made), weird issues can crop up at capacity points and it's a lot harder to fix than just add another circuit/cable to fix it due to cost.

I use teksavvy myself and do a lot of audio streaming, and it's been sucking due to packet loss at their high usage times of day lately.

First off, thanks for the reply and thought.

My only concern I have with your theory is that I can be fine on the US side, turn off DNS so I'm on Canadian... it sucks. Then, literally 5 minutes later go back to the US and its good. :psyduck:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I see, thanks.

Something I haven't tried to any extant is streaming CDN on other devices that I have, so I'll try that too to back up the theory.

Appreciate it folks :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Assuming existing last mile infrastructure, how fast can we theoretically get the dsl and cable technologies?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

This is interesting
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2013/07/17/technology-gigabit-internet-olds.html

quote:

Ultrafast internet speeds that most Canadian city dwellers can only dream of will soon be available to all 8,500 residents in a rural Alberta community for as little as $57 a month, thanks to a project by the town's non-profit economic development foundation.

"We'll be the first 'gig town' in Canada," said Nathan Kusiek, director of marketing for O-Net, the community-owned internet service provider that runs the fibre optic network being built by the non-profit Olds Institute for Community and Regional Development in Olds, Alta., about 90 kilometres north of Calgary.

On Thursday, the board of O-Net gave approval for residents to get access to a full gigabit (or 1,000 megabits) per second of bandwidth for the same price that they currently pay for a guaranteed download speed of 100 megabits per second — $57 to $90 a month, depending on whether they have bundled their internet with TV and phone service
But eventually installation progressed and the Olds Institute began inviting large, commercial internet providers to offer their services via the new network. All of them refused to use a network they had not installed themselves, Gustafson said.

The community was undeterred. It came up with a new plan.

"We said, 'Well I guess if we're going to do this, we have to do our own services,'" Gustafson recalled.

The Olds Institute spent $3.5 million to buy the necessary electronic equipment to run internet and other services on the network and to build a central office to house it all. Last July, it launched O-Net.

The community-owned service offers not just internet, but also phone and IPTV services — TV signals carried on the network that includes dozens of SD and HD channels, and movies on demand that can be paused and later resumed.

All told, the project will probably have cost $13 million to $14 million when it's complete, Gustafson said.

"It's a very gutsy thing on behalf of council here in Olds to approve something like that," he added.
100 per cent coverage expected in 2014

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 19, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Anyone know what the latest is with Voltage/Teksavvy?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Mrent posted:

I am on the Telus 50mbps down/10mbps up plan in Edmonton. The plan is actually half decent, and the speeds are advertised; however, I think Telus requires your building be wired for fibre before you can subscribe to the service. Additionally, the price is also pretty hefty $75CDN a month. I think I may move back to the 25mbps down/5mbps up package just due to the cost. Happy to answer any questions about the package!

I darn near did that with Telus before I left for Teksavvy, but glad I didn't.

That said, Teksavvy is supposedly offering it as part of their package in my area now too (since Telus does already) but I just don't see the benefit for myself. I can stream HD netflix just fine and pull pretty reliably 3MB/Sec downloads which is fast enough for when I need to bring down some files.

If the price gets down to be at least "close" to my 25mb service, I might do it though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Mrent posted:

The reason I decided to go with this plan was purely for the upload speed. I tend to stream a fair bit and the 10mbps upload allowed me to stream in a very high resolution and quality. That being said, is it worth 75 dollars? The simple answer is no, at least not to the individuals who cannot make use of that upload. As for TekSavvy, I have been hearing of them more and more (mostly from friends and family), I will have to take a more in-depth look into them. It would be nice if they offered their services to my postal code.

Can you explain how higher upload speeds allow you to stream better? I am genuinely was under the impression that's 99% download related.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

priznat posted:

drat, that's pretty sweet! Might just kill the movie channels (got it for GoT, not on now anyway) and move the $$ over to the faster internet.

My current setup:

Grade C! :mad:

I know this is a little late priznat, but I am on teksavvy down in Lethbridge. I pretty reliably pull 22-24/2.8

Only thing that fluctuates is ping. I am almost always geolocated to Vancouver which seems to give me about 30ms pings. Never effected me though.

Only issues was hiccups in setup which delayed a week. I give that to telus's stellar incompetence though more than anything.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have been on Teksavvy 25/2 DSL unlimited in Alberta (Telus land) for going on a year now, ever since Telus made good about shrinking the caps.

Other than a couple of hiccups on install, I have been very satisfied with their service. Even if they were to give an increase out here, I'd happily pay it just for the sake of having unlimited. Pretty much everything on Netflix is now SuperHD and we watch a lot of it. That and with video games becoming truly monstrous both on PCs but now on consoles too (I've heard 41GB downloads on the PS4!), I'd always be wondering when Telus would try to gently caress me over if I had a cap, so I don't even worry about it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Chris Knight posted:

Man, remind me to never read DSL Reports, talk about a bunch of loving whiny babies.

Yeah, a lot of the posters are complete tools but I'll give Teksavvy credit, they respond there and are pretty prompt and active on their forum.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Bell is accused of anticompetitive internet fuckery. Again.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dashboard/bell-accused-charging-canadians-more-competitor-services-215517128.html

quote:

It’s shaping up to be a tough winter for Bell’s media division, what with Rogers’ announcement Tuesday of a blockbuster agreement that will give the rival company rights to all national NHL games for the next 12 years. But before that kicks in next season, it’s looking like Bell is going to have to deal with a complaint that its mobile television service is violating Internet fairness rules.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission is currently taking comments from the public on the complaint, filed last week by University of Manitoba student Ben Klass. The application, which is known as a Part 1 Proceeding requesting a full CRTC investigation, accuses Bell of unfairly selling access to its own television content at a lower cost than regular Internet video options such as Netflix or YouTube.

Bell is offering wireless customers 10 hours of viewing for $5 a month that doesn’t count against monthly data usage caps. According to the filing, that amount of regular Internet video would use up the equivalent of $40 of data, meaning that the company is charging subscribers eight times more for using services others than its own.

Klass says this is a violation of the CRTC’s net neutrality rules, established in 2009, which prohibit Internet providers from favouring one type of traffic over another for reasons other than preventing network congestion.

“This is not fair. There are other services and apps that customers may prefer and they’re essentially being charged way more for them,” Klass says. “If they can make money offering you their Bell TV for $5 a month, why can’t they sell you the other stuff for $5 a month too? This whole thing kind of stinks.”

Under CRTC rules, all members of the public – including Bell – have until Jan. 9 to submit comments to the application, after which there will be a 10-day response period. The commission will then decide whether or not to launch a full investigation into the matter.

Bell isn’t saying much about the complaint as of yet and is not indicating whether it will comment on it. “We’d be happy to respond to any CRTC inquiries on Bell's mobile media products,” a spokesperson says.

Klass’s filing has already attracted support from the Ottawa-based Public Interest Advocacy Centre consumer advocacy group. PIAC is looking to both expand and reduce the application’s scope – the investigation should include the likes of Rogers and Videotron, which are similarly selling mobile video that is exempt from data caps, PIAC says, but also not delve into some of the larger media and network issues that Klass brings up.

“We don’t want to go wandering off into the fields of whether the whole broadcasting system can support the model that Bell is using and whether it’s the right way to solve the ‘Netflix problem,’” says PIAC executive director John Lawford. “This is a very specific thing. He did an okay job, but it’s best to be laser focused.”

While the inevitable showdown has all the trappings of a David-versus-Goliath fight – a university student who says he sacrificed a lot of sleep over the month it took to prepare his filing, versus the wealthy corporate behemoth – it actually highlights a problem with the CRTC’s net neutrality rules, some observers say. When the regulator enacted its framework four years ago, it opted to put the onus on consumers to point out misdeeds rather than taking on that responsibility itself.

“The commission isn’t really set up to be a policeman, they are more like a judge in a dispute,” writes York University professor David Ellis on his blog. “Thus it’s the role of people like Ben and others to raise issues when they believe the rules have been broken, and then it’s the role of the CRTC to reach a finding on the alleged violation.”

Klass doesn’t necessarily mind that set-up. “It’s somewhat unfortunate that it’s not institutional, but it does show there’s a human element to all of it,” he says. “They need this input from people. There’s the political interest from the top, but for this sort of thing to function there really needs to be interest from the bottom as well.”

Net neutrality has been a hotly debated topic in both Canada and the United States in recent years. Proponents have argued that Internet providers must be prevented from unfairly interfering with traffic in order to preserve competition and innovation. Network owners, however, have argued that traffic needs to be managed in order to keep everything working smoothly.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

This is probably old news to people here, but I just noticed how much my wifi shits the bed with the microwave is on.

Downloading some steam games and noticed I was only pulling about 500kb/sec, then I could hear my wife heating up lunch. As soon as the microwave was off it went back up to 2.9MB/sec

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Mister Macys posted:

It took me ten days, but I'm on TekSavvy, and couldn't be happier.
I can actually complete speedtests, and vids on the Arirang TV app for my Samsung no longer randomly stop playing. Also, 300gb limit vs. 120gb for only two-thirds the price. :pwn:

gently caress you Rogers, you lazy, anti-competitive, corrupt, overpriced, piece of poo poo.

Speaking of, looks like Rogers is snapping up all sorts of streaming licenses for Canada.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/01/10/rogers-online-streaming_n_4570780.html

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

teethgrinder posted:

I don't think this is true anymore, but it certainly was at one point. I'm definitely using my Canadian account currently and roaming US content on PS3.

Interesting, I've never had an issue with getting US Netflix on my PS3 and I've been doing it since a few months after the Canadian Netflix launch. Could it be ISP related?

I use unotelly, but I will probably move to the goon service when my year is up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hmm, maybe I am just lucky. I've been signed up as Canadian from day 1 and never needed to do anything with a "US based" Netflix acct, just always my standard Canadian one. Works fine with both the DNS service and when I am truly down in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

kiwid posted:

My PS3 always worked with US Netflix in Canada without a US Netflix account. The trick was to delete the Canadian Netflix app and then reinstall the Netflix app while on the DNS services were setup and it would install the US version rather than the Canadian version of the app.
I've always used the same Canadian app :iiam: