Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

ZShakespeare posted:

I guess you could consider the extra cost of Shaw's offering over netflix a sort of "bandwidth surcharge" but all things being equal I don't see how Shaw adding a charge, in the form of bandwidth, to netflix's service relative to their own is anything but anti-competitive. This goes for any VOD stuff they deliver over the internet too. As a gateway to the internet they should charge everyone equally.

Net neutrality and all that; suppose Microsoft gave Shaw a burlap sack with a green dollar sign on it in exchange for not charging their customers for use of Windows Live services. If you are concerned about hitting your data cap, are you going to get your HD cute cat videos from Youtube, or from Bing?

I simply think that it is important lest we end up with the same four choices for our media content as we have for internet access, three for wireless.

Because shaws service is only available to this customers that already get internet/tv/phone from them. If they sold it outside of their service yes that would definitely be anti-competitve but because they are already limiting themselves to the people on their service for a basically all you can eat version of their video on demand service i dont really see a problem.

Yes but external services that can be used on any other service i would have a problem with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Furnok Dorn posted:

So anybody else know anything about these new shaw data plans? I called and asked, and apparently they're not going to have the modems until next month sometime, and they seem to be routers as well, which worries me a bit.

I had a bad experience with a dsl provider that had a modem with router capabilities that had scads of ports that could not be forwarded.

The cisco devices that they will be using are very nice and won't have those kinds of issues.

Even the dlink 604+ i was using from telus which is a 4 port + wireless + modem worked very well while doing heavy internet use.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

ZShakespeare posted:

How accurate are the cable plans on teksaavy's site? It's time for me to renew with Shaw for my student plan and they are offering me 25Mbit down for $23/mo. I'd like to give my money to the little guy, but not if it's going to cost me more than twice as much to take a hit in speed.

I have tekksavvys 25/2.5 unlimited plan right now in surrey, and i'm getting 90-95% most of the time.

Shaws new plans aren't out till next months they are still not 100% on prices.

But they will take 3+ weeks to gently caress around and maybe get someone to your house to do the install, and they will give you a shitbox of an old modem that can only do 25mbit as its theoretical maximum.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Tagra posted:

Is it ever worth it to just buy your own modem? Like not through your ISP, off NCIX or something?

Ah in bc it currently is because you can only use old dociss 2.0 modems right now. But if your going to buy a dociss 3.0 modem no its not worth it as they give you a discount of upto $20 to buy one from them.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Captain Novolin posted:

Just got Optik installed:

And that's over wireless. :toot: I kinda wish there were smaller ISPs around here, but considering the fact that there's a multi month waitlist for shaw in my neighborhood (with 20 year old infrastructure) and we only got this because we're existing telus customers I'm not complaining.

Yea the telus optik stuff is solid because all that bandwidth is reserved for your tv anyways so you always get full speed but when shaws rolls out those actually high speed plans it will be nice.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

If you talk to someone who isn't sure about switching, this article from yesterday would be fantastic to help convince them not to go with Bell or Rogers: http://www.thestar.com/article/1030941--roseman-this-telecom-firm-keeps-service-at-home

Teksavvy has so many issues outside of being incompetent and not having tech thats it not even worth bothering.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

8ender posted:

They really are hamstrung by having to work with Bell and Rogers.

For example Rogers just accidentally pushed out a firmware update to most Teksavvy customers with a SB6120 cable modem. Not just any firmware update though, a three year old firmware that even Motorola has said under no circumstances should be used anymore. This firmware is so broken that peoples modems immediately started regularly rebooting every 15-30 minutes.

So Rogers comes back and sends out a "fix" firmware, which is the latest, to "all" of the affected modems and declares the problem solved. However its immediately apparent that not all the customers got the fixed firmware, and now they're chasing Rogers down on a case by case basis with MAC addresses of affected modems to get them updated.

Yes because its normal for a new install to take 3 weeks from the time you order to get it installed.

Yes because its normal to be charged ~$300 before you even get an install.

The way the company does things is not normal, most isp's dont pre-bill and on that stance alone its enough to not bother. But you also have to buy your own modem and wire you building yourself among other things. Telus and shaw here will both send and installer and they will do things like convert phone jacks to rj-45 so you can have a nice home network.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Vergeh posted:

So under Rogers I've been paying roughly $57/mo for 10mbps@60gb. Now I find out I can get 10mbps@300gb under teksavvy for $37? Why the gently caress haven't I switched sooner? Am I some kind of moron?

I haven't been keeping up with the CRTC rulings, but I've heard rumours that some of the decisions the CRTC is making will make it difficult for teksavvy to stay at this price and cap for long. Is there any truth to this?

Ah depends on what happens with the ubb ruling but its looking like it wont pass from the last few meetings.

Now that teksavvy finally got to installing it it seems to be a decent enough connection 25/2.5 unlimited for $55 isn't too bad.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Rukus posted:

As far as I know if Teksavvy submits a service call to the ISP they're riding on (Rogers or Bell) there's a service charge to send the guy out. From what I've read on DSLReports Bell/Rogers also send their techs to their own customers first before sending them out to third-party ISP customers' homes.

Yea thats how when you sign up with telus/shaw here you can get 1-2 day turn around on getting an installers.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Twiin posted:

I am seriously regretting my TekSavvy choice. I've waited on hold for an hour twice this week, I've never gotten a call back from them, and I'm not at the speed I'm paying for. Buyer beware.

Well they are leasing the network usually thats the local providers fault ie. rogers typically.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Twiin posted:

Yeah, I understand the concept of 'up to 15mbit'. But when my service moves from 10mbit to 15mbit and my DL speeds stay exactly at 10mbit all the time at all hours of the day I don't really buy that it's congestion.

I got in touch with them after 45 minutes today and they told me they couldn't do anything as long as I have a router plugged into the modem. So I need to borrow a friend's laptop to plug into the modem before they'll troubleshoot any further.

That's a load of poo poo they are simply lying to you.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Migishu posted:

As someone who works in Tech Support, DO THIS.

I get an amazing amount of people who don't want to follow what I'm asking, even if it's just the simplest thing, and calls get dragged on for an hour when they could've been solved within 10mins.

Even if they ask for the most ridiculous thing ever, do it (I once asked a client to smell around the vents of their computer to see if it smelt weird. I was trying to diagnose why their computer would no longer turn on. Ended up being the power supply)

Thats a load of poo poo. You stupid idiots aren't even willing to try if its even a little off script.

Never once have any of my problems been with my equipment because i loving test it so i lie to their faces and suprise they always loving find something wrong on their end.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

triplexpac posted:

There was a good DNS test tool someone posted before, I wish I could remember it. It gives you a list of common DNS and shows you which is fastest for you

http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

This one right?

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Koine posted:

I'm moving to a new place in a week and I want to set up Teksavvy, but I'm having trouble deciphering their website. All I want is speedy with a big cap. Should I be getting DSL or Cable? Which plan?

Each province gets different speeds, caps and prices. Is really depends on where your moving and whats available. Also make sure you order it soon they take 3 weeks to process an order.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Godinster posted:

I love that Shaw is finally recognizing there's people who don't want its TV service anymore. Broadband 50 is great so far, 50 mbps and only a handful of TV channels that I watch, CBC, NBC and Global for the News.

I'd get TekSavvy if I could in my area but I really have no complaints about Shaw, they have no bullshit contracts and no fees for setting anything up. Aside from taking a while to get in touch with their phone support when I need to move, I've never once had to call them for anything and my internet hasn't once gone down in the 6 years I've been with them aside from the wildfires in our area 5 years ago.

yea the only reason not to go shaw is if you want unlimited downloads and dont want to pay that $120 for the unlimited 100 plan. Because those plans "upgrade" as you go over the download cap tiers.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

frumpsnake posted:

*Finally* found someone at Shaw who could provision my Cisco as just a modem. Tech support couldn't do it but some random Shaw employee on digitalhome.ca can.

I doubt I'd ever hit the 1TB cap on the $99 plan anyway, but you CAN get unlimited for $59 if you're happy to settle for 7.5Mbps :)

Right but if you go tekksavy you can get unlimited 25/2.5 for 54.99 so thats why i say that.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Yea boy i'm glad shaw/telus dont do that here and have better/cheaper plans. I still dont understand how that works but i dont recall care.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I was able to with a Canadian only netflix account play all the us videos without a separate subscription using usvideo.org. Its just a normal netflix.ca account using paypal to month to month subscribe.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

Do you need to make a separate account? I have an SSTP VPN to New York that's basically been doing nothing since I got Telus at Cityplace.

The usvideo.org stuff says your supposed to make a separate one and some of the other people here seem to talk about doing that so i dunno. It seems to work fine here without a separate one.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Looks like tekksavvys dns servers on the west coast are dead again.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

less than three posted:

Yes i know i had to switch dns servers to get things working again. But i dont normally use google dns servers unless there is an issue because then you get proper local cache servers for things like youtube.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I guess i'm glad i dont live in ontario then.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Tagra posted:

Here is a Telus question for you guys.

We're probably going to be moving pretty soon. At our current location we're in a rural area and are on 3mb DSL (we could upgrade to 6 but I knew we wouldn't be staying much longer so I never bothered to call and ask). It's bundled with telephone and satellite TV and we have a year left on the contract or something like that.

Optik is around, and ironically actually looks like it would be cheaper than our current DSL/TV combo. We're still house searching, but unless we find something amazing in another rural location, it will probably be available where we move to. Will it be possible to call Telus and trade our satellite/3mb for Optik when we move, or is the contract/bundle going to gently caress us over?

It just seems dumb to have them come out and install the satellite and everything and then a year later come back out and switch it up for Optik...

That sounds like a job for a telus agent. Contract negotiations are really delicate things usually you would have to call and ask.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

The Dark One posted:

Does anyone know Rogers' policy on using your own modem? The SMS Networks thing in my new apartment is pretty terrible (the service is in the landlord's name so the answer isn't just to switch ISPs).

Typically they wont let you but the smaller isps ala tekksavy and like will. Is it one of those modems or is it one of the modem + wifi gateway things?

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

less than three posted:

Thank you for that, but it's a cancellation request that can't be dealt with over Twitter. Though credit to the call back system, it said 2 hours and actually did call me back around 2 hours later.

With Shaw's unwillingness to mention that I could get the same service for ~$140 with the new Plan Personalizer(tm) compared to $160 currently my decision is pretty much made. (The 140 being no discount, just standard pricing.)

I'm going to call again tomorrow though, to either set cancellation or switch to the above mentioned rate. Else my parents will finally switch to Telus. (As I'd been suggesting, but they'd rather keep paying $20/more per month than have Telus in their house for 6 hours switching everything over to Optik. :suicide:)

Of course, this is nothing against you as a Shaw CSR, but really their residential CSR service is so abysmal I'd switch even if it means paying more to Telus.

Yea my parents just did this they are saving like $40 a month off cable/phone bill for bundling for better serivce.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Zigmidge posted:

There was talk a page or two ago about congestion when you live in, say, downtown Toronto. I live in a new (3 years old) condo building in which Rogers [told the building who told us] that they installed new equipment and wiring for cable. We want to jump from TS DSL to either TS Cable or Acanac Cable (Acanac has a good deal for 1 yr contracts right now) but Lone Star's post worried us.

Our TS DSL already runs way slower than advertised at all times, are we going to have the same problem no matter what we decide to do? If that's the case we should just look for the single best deals instead of seeking out speeds.

If they just upgraded the cable lines that usually means thats going to get you the best service and switching over would probably get the best speeds.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Scaramouche posted:

What the hell Shaw; I've been trying to call the business account CS support line for two days now (604-629-8885) and I consistently get 'we're sorry, all circuits are busy'. No voice mail, no callback queue. Just a big ol 'gently caress you, we're not answering'. I try going through normal support and they're all 'well we can't touch that, it's a business account' and 'oh no we're not allowed to transfer to business support'. My 'email that will be answered in 3 business days' has went unanswered. So...... now what?

poo poo hit the bed the other day in the Lower Mainland area there was a 100% service outage for 2-3 cities and things aren't back to normal yet so i imagine that is why.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

univbee posted:

Jesus Christ Teksavvy, they completely screwed the pooch on my order despite my calling a few times to make sure everything was OK (it said 5 meg in one place and 25 meg on another), and now when I call today to verify that a tech is coming all of a sudden the speed is wrong (should have been 25, was put through as 5) and they have to cancel the whole appointment, meaning another week without internet and me having to organize another day off work. If they weren't the only ISP with greater than a 100 gig cap in Montreal I'd have dropped them so fast over that bullshit, especially since I called earlier to make sure everything was straight.

Yea thats normal teksavvy stuff.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Yea the only reason to go Teksavvy is you can get decent speed with higher caps for less money.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Its still a bullshit ruling anyways. It allows bell/rogers etc. to double bill for the same thing depending on how much data their wholesale customers use at a group.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

8ender posted:

Cogeco will resell but wont let anyone have anything better than a 100 mbit line at the POIs because they are being assholes and following some obscure CRTC ruling to the letter. The good news is that the CRTC issued some sort of ruling this year that will force Cogeco to offer more bandwidth at the POIs.

Yea that was the Transition from disaggregated POIs to aggregated POIs stuff they talked about in this ruling too.

quote:

IV. Other matters
Transition from disaggregated POIs to aggregated POIs
148. The high-speed access decision mandated aggregated POIs but did not establish a transition period after which disaggregated POIs would no longer be offered.
149. The cable carriers submitted that they are prepared to maintain disaggregated POIs during a transition period of up to six months after the date of the Commission’s decision in this proceeding. They also submitted that independent service providers with interconnections at the disaggregated POIs will be permitted to establish additional backhaul facilities,[48] provided that the contract term for such facilities does not extend beyond the termination date for facilities already in use. The cable carriers stated that the implementation of such a transition period will facilitate a clean cut-off date by which all facilities and customers must be migrated to aggregated POIs.
150. CNOC submitted that existing TPIA customers should not be penalized by the new aggregation regime by being forced to migrate to aggregated POIs when they (a) have entered into multiple-year contracts with providers of transport services between cable carriers’ POIs and the TPIA customer’s network, or (b) have signed retail customers up for longer-term contracts for retail high-speed access service, which cannot be re-priced or terminated to reflect any costs of migrating to aggregated POIs.
151. CNOC submitted that TPIA customers should have the choice of interconnecting to existing or any new disaggregated POIs at existing TPIA rates. CNOC further submitted that it is necessary to retain alternative local POI arrangements. It argued that, unlike the ILECs’ wholesale high-speed access services, which often offer many interconnection points, TPIA services do not typically offer customers a choice of multiple convenient interconnection locations in a cable carrier’s operating territory.

Commission’s analysis and decisions
152. The Commission considers that a transition period is necessary to give independent service providers the time necessary to fulfill or modify their existing term contracts and to modify their business and marketing plans in order to take advantage of the new aggregated POIs. The Commission also considers that implementing a transition period that is too long would result in cable carriers having to make investments to maintain disaggregated POIs.
153. The Commission decides that the transition period for the migration of customers from disaggregated POIs to aggregated POIs will be two years, beginning the date of this decision. Independent service providers that currently interconnect at an existing disaggregated POI will be allowed to add retail customers and POI capacity at that POI during the transition period. After the transition period, the cable carriers will only be required to provide service at aggregated POIs.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

quaint bucket posted:

I had to reread it a second time but that definitely makes a lot more sense now. Seriously, thanks!

I just realized I might be too late to get in on the tablet deal but w/e $20 savings and more HD channels is cake to me. I'll have to look more into it.

Is it a call-in, order online, or can I walk into a Telus storefront? I will have to call Shaw first to see if they can match it. I want my TSN in HD, dammit! I had to watch the BC Lions win in SD...

e: vvvv thank you! vvvv

I dunno if shaw has rolled their new IP TV stuff out in your area yet but if they have its worth checking out i just got the flyer for that the other day and you get faster internet + a pvr that can record more channels at a time.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

priznat posted:

I will say I do wish I could get a decent OTA signal for HD, Telus or Shaw, either are pretty crappy in picture quality compared to the direct broadcast :(

Can't get TSN OTA anyway though.

I puchase one of these. http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&product=1518241&category=Indoor+Antennas&catalog=Online&tab=1#more

In the lower mainland in a condo i am able to get CBC, French CBC ( RDS), Global, Omni, A few seattle stations in 1080i HD its pretty great.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Apparently those new shaw gateway things support 1080p no idea if thats upscaling or not but i know telus 1080i stuff is upscailing.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Yea teksavvy is worthless like that hope this helps.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

The Dark One posted:

If my cable modem/router's status page is saying that the downsteam channel is locked, but that the upstream channel isn't, does that sound like something is wrong with the unit, or the cable service? The Rogers account in under my landlord's name, and he happens to live in a different city, so I'd like to figure things as much out as I can before asking him to drive over for an hour to poke at things.

Usually if it can find one and not the other its definitely a service issue with rogers. But poking it wont do anything as long as the service is partially working.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

iv46vi posted:

So a silly question for y'all,

I've just signed up for Fibe 25 while it's on 50% off, works out to just over 40 a month.
Which outlet in my apartment will it come from? Good old phone jack or do they have to install something else?

It's an older building and a combination of power and phone jack happens only once in the whole apartment. If the modem/router does not have to be tied down to those, it would be fantastic.

Depends they can set it up on cable or phone jack depending on how bad your cables are.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Powershift posted:

I think shaw might have flipped the 250mbit switch for red deer. My internet has been choppy all night, and now seems to be overloading my lovely router while downloading at 11MB/s
Not likely but its defiantly possible the 100mbit was turned on or they upgraded the node to support more bandwidth and you already had the 100mbit.

Because thats only what 88mbit and on my shaw plan i usually get 90-95% of advertised speeds at all times of the day.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Scaramouche posted:

I know I bitch about Shaw a lot in this thread but goddamn. As soon as you can get to a person they're generally really good but I've had to contact them 6 times in the last 3 months and every time I am on hold for at least 20 - 45 minutes. Then one of two things happen:
1. Get routed into general CS even though I called Business
2. Their IVR drops me trying to do 1. above

I know they're probably busy and all but I'm looking at an average wait time of 30 minutes (according to my fancy phone's call timer) to even try to talk to them. And because of billing buggery they say that they can't 'activate' my online management account (long story short, we inherited our VOIP phone number from a hotel and it's somehow inextricably tied to the previous customer's billing/other numbers. Oh and that customer is a deadbeat so we get 'YOU WILL BE DISCONNECTED' messages every month even though we paid our bill. Shaw says 'oh you can just ignore those'). So now the bill is due and they won't let us associate a credit card/auto-deduct because of the aforementioned bill buggery, so I have to call up every month, wait 30 minutes, roll the d6 of IVR peril, and pay by credit card. This is really easy Shaw, I'm just trying to give you money here.
Ah you can pay by bank as well. Every single canadian bank has a system for online banking that lets you pay things like your shaw bill for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Looks like rogers lost the ruling at the CRTC

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2012/01/23/tech-crtc-rogers-throttling.html