Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

Are there any ISPs I should know about in Vancouver, other than Telus, Shaw and Teksavvy? It looks like Bell and Rogers don't operate here?

I'm currently with Telus, but I'm at the end of my contract period, so I want to explore my options. TBH I'd be happy to stay with Telus, but want to see if there's any other deals going on with competitors that I could use as leverage when haggling the renewal price.

Depends where you live in Vancouver there are quite a few ftth services and some buildings have telus 100 mbit Ethernet service it really depends on where you live. Telus is the best tv provider but also the worst internet provider. Teksavvy cable is always the best price for mbit/cap because they off the 25/2.5 unlimited for 45 if you cant get any of the fiber or ethernet service providers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

I found Telus internet to be pretty good, aside from the fact it's twice as expensive as it should be and the router they force you to use sucks a dick.

Telus internet is okay if you get the stuff that optik is on because their tv service goes over it so people would complain a lot of it was down at all so its up almost all the time same with shaws because it does all the digital cable stuff now but the cable stuff gets better price/speed. Just dont get lovely telus dsl the normal phone line stuff its junk.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Squibbles posted:

Shaw's always been good to me but I just moved and I've never seen congestion this bad before. I'm paying for a 100mbps which I get in the mornings but in the evening the speed drops to 5mbps.

I guess I have to switch to telus to get decent speeds in this neighbourhood. I've had nothing but bad experiences with them in the past but maybe they are different now? At least they don't have ancient out-dated cable box technology like Shaw I suppose.

As long as you dont order normal dsl and get the fast dsl/tv stuff its usually okay.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Mederlock posted:

How do people find Telus' Optik internet versus the cable providers in their areas? I do like TekSavvy, especially the part where I'm not giving the incumbent telecom companies more money, but it sometimes has intermittent packet-loss and speed issues.

I've used both they are about the same internet wise but the telus optik stuff lets you get tv if you want tv teksavvy doesn't let you get tv.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Coxswain Balls posted:

Shaw doesn't charge any overage fees. In fact, Telus' website explicitly states that overage charges may apply when going over. In my experience, if someone goes way over their limit month after month (Like, 100% over), you get a call from the bandwidth team to give you a heads up. If it's only a bit over and your node isn't saturated, you'll have a much better chance at being left alone. At least in Shaw's case, the usage limits are more of a mechanism to get ahead of any possible area saturation that would affect other customers. We're a big incumbent ISP so this can always change in the future, but for now I know that's definitely not the case.

(I'm a Shaw employee and all of the opinions expressed in this post are my own, etc. etc.)

Shaw charges overages but forcing upgrades in your plan. If you constantly go over your limit they will force you into that auto upgrade thing i know i was told this by shaw and was forced to switch to teksavvy because of shaws outrageous prices.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Telus Optik internet has served me so well for the past year, but then i move apartments and it starts looking like this.

When I moved, i also took the opportunity to cancel my TV service. By doing this, will I have relegated myself to some lovely ADSL service rather than the VDSL I had with Optik?

Yeah unless you have the TV service you are going to have a bad time with telus. But even in apartments you aren't going to have ideal telus usually because they overload the nodes.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

whiskas posted:

I'm in Calgary, given the news with Shaw, if I'm looking to jump to another provider which will seems the best in terms of consistency/reliability of service and ping?

Telus DSL
Teksavvy DSL (25MB through Telus)
Teksavvy Cable (25MB through Shaw)
Distributel DSL (25MB through Telus)
Distributel Cable (25MB through Shaw)
Or stay with shaw cable

The teksavvy cable/dsl stuff is as reliable as the telus/shaw infrastructure in the area so if you are happy with your shaw service other then the price swtich to the cable package.

The teksavvy cable unlimited package is from what i recall $10 cheaper then the dsl package at $45 for 25 unlimited for cable vs 55 for 25 unlimited for dsl.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

My question has always been "why the gently caress is dryloop so much more expensive than just getting local voice service".

Ah because the incumbent Telecom and complicated business crap about paying for the lines in the ground.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

priznat posted:

Fuckin' PoCo :argh:

Well PoCo only has it because the city paid for it itself and deployed it itself without telus doing anything for it.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Volguus posted:

Heh, Windsor.
The new mayor of Kitchener had as a campaign promise fibre in Kitchener (google or city owned). We all know what happens with campaign promises, though he still has time if he really wants to :)

If the mayor of a city wants to do it. Its quite easy to setup a municipal fiber company and do it within a term.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Volguus posted:

That google team has been in Kitchener for quite a while (few years at least). I would be curious to hear what would CRTC have to say against it though. Aren't there any other city-owned fibre in Canada?

Yes there are a few like Port Coquitlam.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Kreez posted:

Well I'm finally going to switch from the garbage Shaw network over to the Telus FTTN network. Tired of not being able to stream in HD at peak hours.

I made a nice spreadsheet, and assuming I use the service for 2 years, the monthly cost including install fees, modem purchases, 6 month discounts, etc is:
Telus 50/10/400 - 74
Start 50/10/300 - 67
Teksavvy 25/5/300 - 66
Telus - 25/5/250 - 60
Start - 25/5/300 - 57

Anyone know anything about Start in Vancouver? Strathcona in particular? Should I pay the extra few dollars to just go with Telus to eliminate the middle man and possibly have faster resolution to any technical issues? I just want to not have to think about my internet any more.

edit: I mean I know Start has a good reputation nationwide, but some times I read things like "Because P installed X in Y location, Z doesn't require them to do W, so getting service from U isn't a good idea unless you're in V"

How you could be having problems with the shaw network? its the most reliable/fastest home network in the lower mainland.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Kreez posted:

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but my speeds for down to 6-8Mbit/s from 4pm onwards, and this seems to be accepted as a normal part of dealing with Shaw in older neighbourhoods.

I also have this dumb intermittent issue involving 2 minute windows of 99% packet loss a couple times a day. I read a forum thread where someone elsewhere in the city had the same problem and it never got solved. The guy was installing custom diagnostics programs on his computer, shoving multimeters in the box in his back yard, and in the end he just gave up, nobody could figure out what was happening.

Sounds like bad wiring from either inside your house or to the road junction box. Or the circuit is so overloaded that there just isnt enough spare bandwidth but that is not the normal experience for shaw across most of the lower mainland from the 5 or 6 locations i've had it installed and used it.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

priznat posted:

About 10 years ago I called shaw's support line because my cable modem was crapping out. The tech asked me if it was raining there. I said "is that important?" He said yes it sometimes causes problems with their equipment.

What kind of fuckin $5 tarpaulin are you idiots using to cover your central office equipment there Shaw.

That's standard diagnosis for older homes with bad cables in the ground.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

priznat posted:

Do they run cable hookups underground? I've only seen them have overhead wires.

Besides this was in a fairly new concrete high rise.

Depends on the house i know my parents cable hookup goes under the ground same with their telephone both have been replaced in the last 10 years because of this exact problem.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Acer Pilot posted:

wild rear end guess but maybe the telus office in vancouver is some important hub for their service.

i think their office was in that red part. i really hope it was this because lol if a power outage in vancouver kills all of their service

Yeah that knocks out the ah Harbour Center sometimes but that should have all the backups because its a backbone of the internet type building.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

slidebite posted:

Yeah, that's true but you do get a discount for a new client... $20 or something..? Not like that would probably make a difference to you in your situation. You can probably pick up modem for a bit cheaper though if that helps.

Personally, I'm happy paying a premium to them just so I can tell Telus to gently caress off and screw their regressive practices.

Well the only reason to go with teksavvy is to get unlimited internet for a reasonable price you have to go with telus/shaw to get tv.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

less than three posted:

Even then Telus doesn't care if you exceed the bandwith allocation. Or if you're in ETTH/FTTH they literally don't track your bandwidth usage.

My main reason is that I have TV and 50/10 from Telus. Teksavvy isn't (allowed?) to sell 50/10 yet, their max is 25 down. Even when I plan to ditch TV soon I'll stick with Telus because the 50/10 works out to about the same as Teksavvy's 25/5 after the dry loop fees etc.

In summary, the regulated rates Teksavvy has to pay to their last mile is too high for them to compete.

Well you can get 50 down from teksavvy on cable even 100 from what i recall depending on the area.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

infernal machines posted:

Frankly, in Ontario at least Teksavvy's service (both the actual internet service and the support provided for it) has not been that great for some time.

Well their service is only as good as the company providing it.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Yes, this is a problem, but it doesn't need to be my problem. It's like every other thing they blame on the incumbents from missed service visits, to botched installs, to major network fixes that take literal weeks to resolve, if they have so little control over their own business then why am I using them?

They used to offer a service that basically worked, and was cheaper and better than you could get elsewhere. That isn't the case anymore.

Its only as good and reliable as the incumbents allow it to be.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Skandranon posted:

And they have a screenshot of a 90mb Harry Potter MOV file. How did they even find something so old?

I bet that a trailer from apple for the movie not a pirated copy.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

slidebite posted:

Noticing my evening 25/5 DSL is really taking a dump the last few nights in particular.

Anyone else out west in Teksavvy land having issues? According to Teksavvy's status page:

It's pretty crappy.

9:45PM in Alberta

Seems fine in the lower mainland.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Mantle posted:

Ok, so I will be moving to Richmond, BC next month and am thinking of trying out Teksavvy DSL for the first time. Is there anyone out there that has a DSL modem that will work with them they aren't using and wants to sell it? Bonus if you are local.

Let me know if this is against the rulez.

Did you check out the Cable service? It will allow you to get better/cheaper service.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

StealthArcher posted:

So, looking at who's available as options when I get my own single apartment instead of rooming. Anyone ever heard of or tried unmetered.ca?

They look like a chinese run telus/shaw reseller given their location, service areas and tv channels displayed on that front page.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

StealthArcher posted:

That's 2am, you're waaaaaay out of anything approaching 'peaktime'. Try doing it again around 6-9pm your time and see then.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

8ender posted:

I think the only way Google could competitively do it here would be to team up with a company like Wind and actually help them build out their network.

Well give n the foreign limits on investment moblicity would be a better choice.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

8ender posted:

I'd just want to see how Bell and Rogers would justify the new 100 mbit no caps plans they'd roll out in the Google Fiber areas in light of all the QQ'ing they did to the CRTC over wholesale pricing.

Well thats exactly what the 3 large american companies do every time google fiber is about to roll out to a new city.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

quote:

Wednesday, May 6 & Thursday, May 7 between 2 am and 6 am

It looks like teksavvy is going to be upgrading their hardware these days to solve the telus issue.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Sappo569 posted:

Hi fellow Canadian Goons,

So I'm moving into a new building the middle of June (Toronto), I've been with Teksavvy for 4 or 5 years now, and been pretty happy with them.

Good speed, rarely ever any down-time, and the price is well enough.

Should I just stick with them, or have other options cropped up I should be looking at ?

I don't have or use cable TV or home phone, so bundling is just a waste of time. I just need internet

Thanks!

Well check what's available in your building depending on the location in Toronto there are some decent fibre solutions but otherwise teksavvy is usually cheapest.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

This has not been true for quite some time now, for any speed tier.

Also, and I hate to be that guy, but have any of you considered just paying for your content instead of paying for increasingly elaborate ways to avoid getting caught pirating it?

Why would you pirate anything speed affects many more things then that .It is easy as poo poo to blow those 100 gig caps on netflix alone by yourself let alone with other people using your internet.

They are almost always the cheapest for unlimited cap/bandwidth combined unless you need upload.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

StealthArcher posted:

So Telus gave us a runaround and surprise, 100 osmt available, only 25.

So fuckem frankly,how good has teksavvy been for cable in Edmonton for anyone? There's seven of us in this house, 25 isn't cutting it.

Shaws cable service is usually quite reliable but their prices are undesirable now that they have switched over to the digital cable stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Tagra posted:

I waffled between posting here or in the haus, but it's kinda Telus specific so maybe you guys have some immediate ideas. We've got Optik and the lovely Actiontec V1000H modem/router that comes with it. We want to set up a dedicated server for smaller games like Terraria so that friends could log in and tinker even if we weren't playing at the time, but unless we're using a tunnelling program our friends can't connect to it at all. Everything is set up properly, and sites like yougetsignal even report the ports as open and the server records the hit from them, but external connections are still bounced and we have to tunnel them into the LAN. Google suggests this is common with the Actiontec piece of crap and it's simply impossible because of the way it's set up by Telus.

Has anyone here tried to work around this? Is there a solution other than tunnelling or buying a new modem/router? Mostly we just get our friend to host instead but I'm wondering if anyone has successfully wrestled it into submission.

http://telusinternet.blogspot.ca/2012/10/using-your-own-router-in-tandem-with.html

You can set it up in bridge mode if you want to use another router.