Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Sorry to interrupt the Teksavvy chat with something about Telus :barf: but I live out in the sticks and Telus/Shaw are literally the only options I have.

I've been stuck on a 3mb Telus line which was the max for the area, and they just upgraded all the lines in the area to bring Optik in. I can now upgrade to 6mb for free which will be nice, or possibly upgrade to something faster for more cash monthly... but I was looking at the Optik plans and it actually seems like it would work out to be cheaper to ditch our bundled satellite and get the Optik TV/Internet mix, upgrading to 25mb which would probably blow our minds after 3mb all these years.

What is the opinion of Optik, besides being Telus? I've heard that if you have your TV on you basically can't use the internet, but I can never tell if that's a serious complaint or if it's something like :qq: "my 25mb internet is only getting 19mb while the TV is on" :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

random nickname posted:

FYI, for those looking to get Telus, the actiontec gateways they've been giving out are god-awful pieces of crap. If you know you're way around routers, ask the installer to set you up with an ALU modem and use your own router for internet.

I was actually wondering about modems. We have a WRT300N router that's solid, but we're still using a very very old D-Link modem that Telus gave us when we initially signed up with them something like 10 years ago. It's so old that it doesn't even have the Telus logo slapped on it.

It's still working just fine or I wouldn't be able to post this, but if I did get a new line upgrade and they send me a piece of poo poo combo modem/router that won't work with my WRT300N, can I use this incredibly old modem or will it poo poo itself trying to translate a higher speed DSL signal?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

I was dicking around with the Telus site to see my bundle options for upgrading, and apparently even though Optik TV is available for my address, Optik internet is not?

... aren't they kind of the same thing?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Sprawl posted:

They are the same thing but they are bundled services and you can't buy one without the other.

That is what is perplexing to me. I punched in my phone number and it said congrats your area is eligible for blah blah blah and Optik TV. So I went to the bundle builder thing and started punching in bundle options, but when I got to the internet section, all the Optik speed options were greyed out and it would only let me pick high speed or high speed turbo. ...but I had already selected Optik TV in the TV section...

I'd have to call them to make the deal anyway, I was just messing with the bundle thing to see how badly extra channels would bump the monthly price.

When I go to the internet-only section and punch in my number it doesn't come up with Optik as an option in my area, either. Stupid useless website.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Is it ever worth it to just buy your own modem? Like not through your ISP, off NCIX or something?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Here is a Telus question for you guys.

We're probably going to be moving pretty soon. At our current location we're in a rural area and are on 3mb DSL (we could upgrade to 6 but I knew we wouldn't be staying much longer so I never bothered to call and ask). It's bundled with telephone and satellite TV and we have a year left on the contract or something like that.

Optik is around, and ironically actually looks like it would be cheaper than our current DSL/TV combo. We're still house searching, but unless we find something amazing in another rural location, it will probably be available where we move to. Will it be possible to call Telus and trade our satellite/3mb for Optik when we move, or is the contract/bundle going to gently caress us over?

It just seems dumb to have them come out and install the satellite and everything and then a year later come back out and switch it up for Optik...

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Sprawl posted:

That sounds like a job for a telus agent. Contract negotiations are really delicate things usually you would have to call and ask.

bah I was hoping the answer would be "Oh yeah, this happens all the time"

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

We managed to upgrade to Optik turbo 25 (3 HD streams) when we moved into our new house and I'm very happy with it.

The only thing, and maybe this thread has some tips... is that the PVR boxes seem ludicrously laggy. Like, not the viewing or anything but it's like using a remote that has a dead battery. You hit power and nothing happens... nothing happens... nothing happens... so you hit power again and oh! It came on! But oh wait that was from your first press and now your second press turned it back off again. But the second time it actually comes on right away, so it's almost like it needs to warm up. Sometimes trying to type in channel numbers does this too, and again it will settle down and respond nicely once you get it to co-operate the first time.

Any tips for whipping it into shape?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

less than three posted:

Nah. Mediaroom is a Microsoft product. It's a known issue with the occasional remote lag. It's supposed to be fixed in a firmware update getting pushed in January.

That is good to know. It's more tolerable knowing that it is something that can (and hopefully will...) be fixed.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

The guy who installed the Optik for us (who didn't seem to be incompetent...) said that there seems to be an issue if the boxes are hooked up through HDMI, and they all have less issues and are less frequently sent in for repair if they are hooked up with component instead. I have to wonder if there is anything behind that, or if it's just confirmation bias or a side effect of HDMI being a more popular hook-up and thus more statistically likely to be present when something blows up.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Argh I don't really know if this is on topic, but I can't seem to find any information.

For several weeks now (started before Christmas), channel 601 on our Optik TV (CTV Vancouver in HD) has been broadcasting in SD. It's still got the HD symbol on it, but it's 4:3 and has terrible quality. It was working fine before and as far as I know we didn't touch anything, and it's doing the same thing on both TVs in the house, so I just assumed it was something hosed up on their end. All the other HD channels are fine.

But now it's January and it's STILL SD. Did we sit on the remote and change something somehow, or is it just hosed for this long?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Well goddammit. Is there a button that forces it into SD mode or something? I messed with aspect ratio but zooming just gets rid of the black bars and makes the terrible quality more apparent. Swapping between 780 and 1080 didn't change anything.

I guess I can reboot the boxes, but they're both doing it and every other channel is fine. Hrm.

Stuff we recorded on it earlier is still proper HD too.

[edit] Hmm I did find this though: http://digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=149359

Maybe it's not just me. That whole little block of channels in the early 600s is doing the same thing, actually. I just don't watch global much so I didn't notice :v:

Tagra fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 7, 2012

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Try this program: http://www.d3tr.de/

It's a 3D traceroute program that you can leave running, and it will record any spikes or drops in the connection and show you exactly where they're happening. If it's always the same set of routers you have something else to throw at Telus and hope it sticks.

An update on my situation... channel 601 on Optik is STILL broadcasting in 4:3 after a month. Rebooting the system hasn't helped so I think my options are either hope someone notices that it's hosed in my area and fixes it, or sit through clueless tech support. I opted to find new channels to record everything on, but 601 is the only channel I have which has Conan in HD :smith:

Tagra fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 24, 2012

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Google, if you are reading this, please expand Google Fiber to Canada. You will have every person in Canada as a customer within a month. That is not even hyperbole.
:smith:

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

slidebite posted:

According to a couple of posts on dslreports, people have filed complaints with the CCTS which have been accepted so the ball is now in Telus's court to respond.

I don't think they've actually notified me of the changes yet, but I've gotten I think three separate notices explaining how I can complain to the CCTS if I have any unresolved complaints about their services. Which is a very odd thing to randomly encourage a customer to do. I hadn't done any "boat-rocking" to precipitate the messages. My last contact with customer service was to cancel some channels on Optik, about a year ago...

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Oh I see, the notice now links to saying they're changing long distance rates to .40 if you don't have a long distance plan. Nothing about internet at all. It's the same link that was posted earlier in this thread and spread around, so they wiped the whole thing out and replaced it with different changes.

I went paperless so my email bill only had that same link at the bottom.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

I started CC'ing one of those CTV news "problem solvers" when Telus got super defensive. Join in on the fun and message @TELUSsupport and @Telus about their wonderful prices. Be sure to CC your local "problem solver" news personality for added fun.

I don't suppose there's anywhere else we can complain that will make any difference? I don't think the BBB really cares about poo poo like this. Telus keeps sending messages saying we should complain to the CRTC if we're unhappy but I wonder what other options we have to stop being passive Canadians and let them know we're sick of this poo poo.

Maybe a riot :v:

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Telus keeps sending me messages saying if I am unhappy with them I should complain to the CRTC, so I took a wander through the website.

quote:

A retail customer is the end user who purchases access to the Internet. The CRTC does not regulate how the retail customer is billed, the rates, quality of service issues, or business practices of Internet service providers as they relate to retail customers. This is because there is enough competition in the market and retail customers have a choice and can shop around for service packages.

Maybe we need a new definition of "choice" :sigh:

They're pretty much literally saying "We are not currently screwing you over as badly as those other guys are... So we're going to raise our prices to be in line with that!"

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

slidebite posted:

The only issue I had ever had with Telus was their bullshit business practices, not quality of the product. I had a 25/5 DSL connection, and I always got extremely close to that regardless of time of day. If you go to the Canadian DSLreports forum, most of the connectivity issues seem to be cable problems.

About 10 years ago I switched from Shaw to Telus because Shaw hilariously mishandled an equipment malfunction in my area which led to three weeks of spotty internet access, including a three day window where the modem stayed red. I'd call them and ask for an update and every time Shaw headquarters would be like "There are no issues in your area. We will send a tech." and every time the tech would knock on the door, wearily tell me "it's still an equipment malfunction. I still can't do poo poo about it. We're losing a lot of customers." He looked like he wanted to lie down and die.

Then I switched to Telus and the service was so much better even without the equipment issues that I never looked back.

If only they weren't greedy assholes :sigh:

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Does anyone have experience with "ABC" in Northern BC? My mom used them for a bit because it was the only service she could get in an extremely rural area, and it was something like 50 bucks a month for 1.5mbps because of how they had to hook it up.

I'm hearing them on the radio a lot now talking about how you can save so much money by switching to them, but they seem to be charging 59.99 for 25mbps...

[edit] with a 200GB cap...

Tagra fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 13, 2013

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

It was outside of Fort Fraser, but she has passed away now. It was a bit of a struggle for her to get the service... there was something about needing a tower to be visible for it to work there and they had just installed a new one nearby which opened up the service.

Tagra fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 13, 2013

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

http://www.ipolitics.ca/2013/02/15/telus-reports-profits-up-22-8-in-q4/

quote:

VANCOUVER – Telus Corp. (TSX:T) has capped what its CEO is calling an “exceptional year” with an almost 23 per cent increase in fourth-quarter profit, fuelled by a six per cent increase in revenue.

"We have to raise prices to keep up with the rising costs and stay competitive" :qq:

[edit] I'm reading that Shaw is raising their prices at the same time but I don't think I saw that in this thread... is it also true?

[edit 2] Well there's certainly bitching about it! https://community.shaw.ca/thread/3591

Tagra fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 15, 2013

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

We had an extra computer lying around so we were experimenting with VMWare and running a web server. We then discovered that we can't actually change any of the settings on our Telus (Optik) Actiontec modem. We can't even port forward on it. We used to, because I was able to set up port forwarding to be able to remote into my home PC from work, but the firmware updates since then seem to have locked down all the settings to the point where it's kind of pointless to even give us an "admin" login. I did some googling and it looks like there used to be some passwords to get functionality back, but the latest firmware updates changed that too. I'm not really interested in rebooting it to factory and scrambling to make changes before it has a chance to update itself...

We have Optik 25. What modem/router options are there if we decide to just buy our own hardware? We have an old WRT300N but I'm assuming it won't be able to handle newer signals.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Opting out doesn't actually stop them from collecting everything, it just stops them from using that data to give you personalized advertisement...

If all of the big three decide to do this the only way to "opt out" is to give up internet, TV, and phone service. That's pretty ridiculous :smith:

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

I didn't see this posted here yet: Telus is getting worse again.

quote:

Posted January 24, 2014

Starting February 26, 2014, TELUS is changing the regular monthly rates for some of our High Speed Internet plans. Your new rate will be reflected on your first bill after February 26.

• For details on your Internet plan rate change, reference the message included on the last page of your bill dated between January 26 and February 25.
• For an electronic copy of your bill, login to your TELUS home services account and select Download/Print on your e.Bill summary page.

For questions, or help accessing your TELUS online account, chat live with an agent.

Why are Internet rates changing?

The cost of managing, expanding and improving our network continues to rise. We’re doing our best to keep rate increases as moderate as possible, while still offering great services, flexibility and good value.

We are constantly working to improve the service we offer our customers. In 2013, we made a number of improvements to our Internet service and network, including the launch of a new email service for all TELUS Internet customers with 5 GB of storage and an improved interface. We also upgraded our infrastructure to support faster Internet speeds and improve our network reliability to provide you with the best Internet experience possible.

Although I looked on the last page of my last eBill and there was nothing, so I don't know if that means my plan is unaffected or if it's just not displaying right now because their site is rear end.
[edit]Oh there it is, you have to go to print! +$5 a month, bleh

Tagra fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 23, 2014

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

less than three posted:

I've had nothing but great service with Optik.

Same for me. Stable, fast, wonderful in every way except for the part where it's run by a horrible company.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

I waffled between posting here or in the haus, but it's kinda Telus specific so maybe you guys have some immediate ideas. We've got Optik and the lovely Actiontec V1000H modem/router that comes with it. We want to set up a dedicated server for smaller games like Terraria so that friends could log in and tinker even if we weren't playing at the time, but unless we're using a tunnelling program our friends can't connect to it at all. Everything is set up properly, and sites like yougetsignal even report the ports as open and the server records the hit from them, but external connections are still bounced and we have to tunnel them into the LAN. Google suggests this is common with the Actiontec piece of crap and it's simply impossible because of the way it's set up by Telus.

Has anyone here tried to work around this? Is there a solution other than tunnelling or buying a new modem/router? Mostly we just get our friend to host instead but I'm wondering if anyone has successfully wrestled it into submission.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

It does still work :ssh:

So, I'm not really a guru when it comes to network things... but is this inability to host something Telus has deliberately done to prevent too much upload traffic or is it just because they chose a poo poo router, or is it because they are incompetent at setting up their poo poo router? All seem plausible...

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

less than three posted:

To prevent dumb users from breaking their Internet connection and then calling in to tech support about it. Bridged/Router mode makes no difference on your usage.

I didn't mean bridging specifically, I meant hosting and the inability for external connections to get through. I used to remote into my computer from work just fine (although I haven't tried setting that up since the router has updated, hmmm) but we've never been successful at hosting anything unless it's through Steam or a tunnel service. Is that just because the ActionTec is poo poo or did they deliberately block those sorts of connections?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

My Telus Optik connection is using an Actiontec V1000H that is roughly 5 years old and I think it's packing it in. Wireless drops periodically and our TV doesn't even work anymore (we never watch it so who knows when that started. I'm just going to cancel it since they're lowering the bundle discount anyway :rolleyes:) which the internet suggests is a router issue. I'm rebooting it more and more lately.

Internet searches suggest there are a variety of gateways they will replace the V1000H with. All of them suck, but some of them suck more than others. But it is possible some of them will suck less than the V1000H. Before I call them and sit on hold for 45 minutes, is there a certain gateway I should demand, or is there a certain modem/router I should just say 'gently caress it' and buy and set up myself even though that might lead to a fight with them?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

quote:

Our view on how we solve the piracy problem is it is not sort of coming up with new technological measures, it’s blocking access to piracy. How do you do that?

*Unplugs Canada from Internet*
*Dusts hands*

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

spoof posted:

I still think that the best phone plan for Canada (if you don't need LTE) is a French one with free.fr. 20€(~C$30) gets you 25GB/mo of 3G roaming data in Canada/US/Europe/Aus/NZ/South Africa. It used to be limited to 1month/country/year, but not any more. Also unlimited calls/SMS to over 100 countries.

If more international plans started working in Canada we might actually have telecom competition!

They better start suing people before it comes to that.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Aw man. I haven't had to build anything for a couple years now but NCIX was always my goto and I always had such good service ordering from there. RIP

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

slidebite posted:

Final reason to keep the landline is gone then. Good work telus.

When they reduced the bundle discount I finally cancelled Optik and very explicitly told them that was the reason why. I guess they didn't learn anything.

Hmm +6 to my bill for no gain or -30 and the loss of a landline I only give out to people I don't want to talk to. Hmmmmmm.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Volguus posted:

Bell has quietly increased my internet bill by $5. It's not much but it is unsettling. Still is a good promotion price of $80 for gigabit but man ...

Don't like the price increase? Switch to a competitor! Oh wait, no, they did the same thing.

Seriously, is there anything we can do about this? You can't vote with your wallet, because all of them are the same price. You can bitch to retentions and maybe get a deal, but they're just going to jack it up by another $5 with no justification again next time. You can bitch to the CRTC and they'll push their glasses up and be like "They gave you appropriate notification (in the form of 6 point font on your last bill) so there's nothing we can do."

Canadians are too polite. What can we actually do to say this isn't appropriate?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

James Baud posted:

Grand Forks and Creston, and to a much lesser extent, places like Quesnel and Williams Lake disagree with that.

Doing those two tiny west Kootenay towns implies they'll fill in others, they're nothing special themselves. (Unless, unbeknownst to me, the towns subsidized.it.)

They've got Quesnel and William's Lake but not Prince George???

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Telus posted:

making Northern B.C. one of the most connected regions in Canada

lol what

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Not just northern Canada, all Canada. Suck it, less connected plebes :smugdog:

It's gotta be either per capita or like they're equating kms of cable = connections or something stupid.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

How topical!

Telus CEO seen carrying large shears and whistling innocently

https://www.princegeorgematters.com/local-news/shaw-reports-large-scale-service-outage-in-prince-george-across-northern-bc-1499572

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

I was wondering why we got a Telus overage fee when they are waiving overage fees during the pandemic, but it looks like they specifically said "Until June 30th". Cool cool good thing the pandemic is over and we're not working from home anymore.

On the upside, my work is going to reimburse me for it and I might get a 15 dollar a month pandemic 'raise' to purchase unlimited :v: