Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

That's a pretty standard "we can't do poo poo" email, speaking as a tech support idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

slidebite posted:

the ticket is at their :siren: TIER 3 :siren: support.

I hope this story becomes Kafka-esque and you are still unsatisfied at tier 43 support

mewse
May 2, 2006

Does shaw throttle upstream bittorrent? I'm seeing one tenth the speed that I see in any speed test tool.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rawrbomb posted:

Stupid question, but you have UPNP enabled in the client/router or you are forwarding the correct ports traffic to your computer from the router?

I manually forwarded the correct port but I'm not 100% certain about my upnp settings because I didn't configure them either way.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jan posted:

so wait

You're saying you lived in Manitoba and weren't already on MTS? What the gently caress were you thinking? :psyduck:

MTS's DSL doesn't seem as reliable from my purely anecdotal experience

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Dark One posted:

Great move on Bell's part to use the same branding for both ADSL/VDSL and FTTH. No matter where you live and how lovely their offerings in that area are, they can use the sheen of fiber almost being in the name to make it sound good.

The same bell that's desperately trying to coin the term "superphone"?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Shaw did what everyone found out even after they said they wouldn't.

https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comments/2ri6ma/as_promised_shaw_lowered_their_speeds_by_60_for/

As visible on their website, you'll notice all price tiers are now 60% slower.
For example 25Mb/s used to be $60, now that only gets your 15Mb/s.
100Mb/s used to be $90, now that only gets you 60Mb/s (also with no option for any faster internet)
This is a follow up to this post.
I'm disappointed with the direction Canadian internet is taking lately, but not surprised all our feedback fell on deaf ears.
I never checked the prices of Telus before this change, so I'm not sure but I'm fairly certain you used to be able to get 25 for $60 a month, it's now $68.

My Shaw bill went up, I'm on 25 Mb, went from $60 to $67 in Manitoba

mewse
May 2, 2006

Eej posted:

Just settled into my new condo with Bell Fibe 25 and spent like half an hour looking up how to connect PPPoE through FTTH with my own router and then also splicing CAT5 in the cabinet so all the pre-wired sockets are actually connected to the router. Sheesh, they don't try to be helpful at all. "We have to charge you more to wire any more than two sockets."

Splice CAT5??

mewse
May 2, 2006

When can I expect my peg leg and eye patch for being a geo-pirate

mewse
May 2, 2006

If you don't obey the geographical restrictions that your giant ISP cartel agreed to with the giant global media cartels, you are a drat stinky criminal!!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jesus Christ

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jan posted:

Plus I'm sure all the people who want to call you will appreciate having to pay overseas long distance fees to your French number.

Nouveau téléphone qui est-ce?

mewse
May 2, 2006

SHAQ4PREZ posted:

They also have some new employees that are just greasy salesmen that flat out lie about what their instore product replacement warranty covers.

I don't go there very often but I've had 1 great experience with a young sales guy a few years ago, after that my best interactions were with a guy on the tech desk at the back of the shop. Couple visits I got the slimey vibe from the sales guys.. I got upsold on a drat 40mm fan of all things

mewse
May 2, 2006

infernal machines posted:

Looks like it's [REDACTED] per this thread

Actually that's the address from my cablemodem and I'd please ask you to edit it out of your post before I suffer another hacking attempt

mewse
May 2, 2006

Some posts on reddit are announcing that NCIX declared bankruptcy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bapcsalescanada/comments/7h0g4k/psa_it_seems_netlink_computer_inc_aka_ncix_has/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMaWSinw4MI&t=2493s

mewse
May 2, 2006

slidebite posted:

Whelp, that's too bad.

Glad I ordered the 1080ti through Amazon :buddy:

It was really interesting for me to hear Linus's take on the retail industry at that time: they knew amazon was coming so they needed something that would get them bought out down the road. Truly unfortunate news, I've been an NCIX customer for like 15 years

mewse
May 2, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

TekSavvy now has cable internet in Winnipeg

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

I got an ad from Rogers offering gigabit internet. The fine print says up to 500 Mbps. What kind of Hollywood math is this?

The port on the cablemodem will negotiate to gigabit ethernet

mewse
May 2, 2006

NCIX had a sign on their door telling people to do those chargebacks with their credit card

mewse
May 2, 2006

James Baud posted:

I knew my two years at $80 was up, figured I was due to pay $110 and started looking at resellers (all around $70/mo) before noticing the above on my bill... If Shaw's opening position is $85, that's not too bad -- it sounds like they'll negotiate down to roughly the same price as the resellers on a new two year term if pressed, too.

(Mind you, Telus is offering 300/300 for an average of ~95/mo over two years and they're due to install fibre at my place any day now ... they're actively working in the neighbourhood. Having a decent upstream again would be nice.)

Thanks for posting this, I had to go check and they wrote that on my bill as well.

TekSavvy is finally available in Manitoba and I want to switch, but I'd have to gently caress around with wifi routers again................

mewse
May 2, 2006

A guy I worked with was ex-that place, not particularly bright, but said "nobody retires from that place"

mewse
May 2, 2006

codo27 posted:

e: gonna post this in here too, the Nvidia Shield is 25% off on newegg.ca right now, the cheapest I've ever seen it. Just ordered mine, finally

Shield pro for $400CAD?

mewse
May 2, 2006

I don't see that one, maybe they sold out.

mewse
May 2, 2006

My experiment with switching to TekSavvy in manitoba is going poorly.

I was on a 2yr contract with shaw for the 150 megabit service. The contract expired earlier this year so I switched to Teksavvy about two months ago.

I initially signed up for their 75 plan because they were doing a back to school promo with discounts on install fee, modem cost, and monthly fee. I requested an increase to 150 as soon as I could, and they sent me an email a few weeks ago saying the 150 change was processed. It wasn't reflected in any speed tests I would run - I'd still get the exact same 85/8 speed I had under the 75 package.

After some emails back and forth where they asked me to disconnect my router and connect a laptop directly, they asked to give me a call, so I was on the phone with them for about half an hour last night where we did the same stuff they had asked me to do via email. They did walk me through doing a factory reset of the cablemodem, which didn't fix the problem.

After kinda accusing me of having garbage on my laptop (it's a clean win7 image and I wasn't running anything but chrome with the speed test site, and I told him resource monitor said 0 network usage without speed test running) -- they're sending me a replacement cablemodem. I have very low hope that this is going to fix the speed problem.

I guess as an IT guy my expectations were higher that they'd be able to unfuck their poo poo? I didn't really understand why they wanted me on the phone last night except to remote into the laptop and poke at the cablemodem from my side, but they didn't do that and basically asked me to run speed tests over and over. I think Shaw is trying to gently caress them over somehow since they're leasing the lines, but they swear everything is set up properly.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thanks for the insights, I've sent teksavvy an email telling them I have low hopes for the replacement hardware and whether they'd be able to check with Shaw what's going on.

I'm 99% sure it's not house wiring because speeds were exceptional under my old Shaw package, and current upload/download speeds match the lower 75/7.5 package exactly.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Squibbles posted:

I think Shaw charges teksavy if they make Shaw check or do anything so the techs avoid it like the plague and make you jump through all kinds of hoops so they can be as sure as possible that the problem is on the Shaw side before requesting anything from Shaw. At least that was my experience when I tried teksavy and had a flaky connection.

If this is what’s going on I might as well go back to shaw, which is disappointing because I always heard TekSavvy had great customer service

mewse
May 2, 2006

Volguus posted:

Now, all I can do is cross my fingers that this guy can get it done. Everyone else said "Sorry, no can do". If they are pulling it off, my next question is how do I bypass that router thingy they come with? Their crap has NAT, wifi, TV, etc. and I do not want or need it since I have my own equipment. But even if I have to double NAT for a bit, i'll be fine.

Generally you ask for bridge mode, you might have to call it in after install

mewse
May 2, 2006

TekSavvy finally fixed my speed problem a couple weeks ago. They sent me these long questionnaires that took me days to complete and then finally filed a ticket with shaw, who fixed the provisioning.

Since then I've been experiencing disconnects while playing hardcore diablo 3, which is not fun. So I checked their service advisories and all of winnipeg has had a peak time congestion advisory since Nov 8 with no ETA for repair:

As soon as the speed was fixed I asked to return the spare cablemodem they sent me for troubleshooting, that we never used. They sent me a canada post code to cover shipping and I dropped it off at the post office and sent them the tracking number.

They left me voicemail at 7am sometime last week saying if I didn't return the cablemodem they were going to charge me. If I didn't call them back that day they were going to charge me. The tracking number said they had signed for the returned equipment the previous Friday.

So anyway Shaw is running black friday promos right now and I hope they accept that I didn't make it to 90 days away from them before signing up for their service again.

mewse
May 2, 2006

slidebite posted:

That seems to be the standard m.o. for telecom and cable companies. Never lose your tracking number until your credit or whatever is confirmed.

I knew I had the tracking number in my sent items because I emailed it to them, lol

Anyone know if there's any problem requesting bridge mode for shaw's 150 service? It will probably be a hitron wifi modem

mewse
May 2, 2006

You guys are great, thanks for the insights, seems like I should be ok with whatever modem shows up: hitron or XB6

mewse
May 2, 2006

Blistex posted:

Does this sound like they have been throttling his connection? Can they actually throttle an individual customer's connection? Because that was my first assumption after hearing their story.

They have the ability to set speeds for sure. My posts to this thread about bad provisioning recently, there's poo poo on the back end they have to set properly.

That tech is a shithead for not admitting it wasn't the wifi and saying what actually fixed the problem.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Coxswain Balls posted:

https://www.chrisd.ca/2018/11/29/shaw-internet-speeds-double/

Probably not doubling the upload speed though, which is all I care about at this point past 150Mbps.

Hot drat

mewse
May 2, 2006

8ender posted:

One day I cleared out some space on the hard drive and queued up enough massively threaded FTP downloads to last most of the day. I went to school and came home to very concerned parents. Turns out the modem casing had melted and caved in, filling the living room with fumes, and then it had shorted out and blown a breaker.

:lol:

mewse
May 2, 2006

mewse posted:

TekSavvy finally fixed my speed problem a couple weeks ago. They sent me these long questionnaires that took me days to complete and then finally filed a ticket with shaw, who fixed the provisioning.

Since then I've been experiencing disconnects while playing hardcore diablo 3, which is not fun. So I checked their service advisories and all of winnipeg has had a peak time congestion advisory since Nov 8 with no ETA for repair:

As soon as the speed was fixed I asked to return the spare cablemodem they sent me for troubleshooting, that we never used. They sent me a canada post code to cover shipping and I dropped it off at the post office and sent them the tracking number.

They left me voicemail at 7am sometime last week saying if I didn't return the cablemodem they were going to charge me. If I didn't call them back that day they were going to charge me. The tracking number said they had signed for the returned equipment the previous Friday.

So anyway Shaw is running black friday promos right now and I hope they accept that I didn't make it to 90 days away from them before signing up for their service again.

Update: I dropped teksavvy like its hot

The self-install kit for Shaw showed up, I theoretically would have plugged it in and had service ten minutes later, but I seem to be cursed and someone at Shaw cancelled my order *after* the cablemodem had shipped.

It was pretty fuckin awesome to have an order in with Shaw when they announced the 150 plans were magically becoming 300 plans. I'm locked in for $60/mo for 2 years at 300 mbit. Had to have a shaw rep "rebuild" my account (he had to ask modem serial number and tracking number and basically everything to put my acct back together)

Cancelling with teksavvy was awkward. "Did you have problems with our service?" "uhh yeah, I had an ongoing tech problem. and someone harassed me to send equipment back. and you had a service advisory for all of winnipeg for over a month" They ended up comping me the remaining bill on the cablemodem at least.

mewse
May 2, 2006

EngineerJoe posted:

Perjury carries criminal penalties compared to just a civil judgement.

Innocent until proven guilty, where is their proof? They have an IP address, an IP address is not a person

mewse
May 2, 2006

odiv posted:

Slightly offtopic, but with NCIX (long) gone where is everyone buying their components from?

I've been putting off a video card for way too long.

Newegg, memory express, Amazon

codo27 posted:

ME is very nice, but as usual just use PCP and decide from there.

Yep, having pcpartpicker available in canada is very handy. You can do cool stuff like sort all storage by price per gigabyte and find the best deal

mewse
May 2, 2006

My current plan is to ride out the shaw 2 yr contract then do 90 days on teksavvy and re-sign with shaw on a 2yr promo, and then repeat forever

mewse
May 2, 2006

Also even if the test is from inside the ISP's net, it's a good check on what speed you are getting last mile to your actual computer. But yeah maybe not the best for identifying network congestion if you're hitting an internal server

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bell MTS is saying they have fiber to my neighbourhood when they've redefined it as "fiber to the node" with a max speed of 100 mbit :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Makes sense. It closes the loop on the guys that knocked on my door a couple years ago saying my neighbourhood has fiber now, but with suspiciously low speeds