Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Drakkus posted:

The technical issues that I know of with the SB6120s were fairly minor, so it wasn't for technical reasons. I honestly can't say why they are no longer being used.
It entirely has to do with supply. (TekSavvy no longer offers them either.) Motorola stopped making the SB6120 ages ago, and planned on replacing it with the SB6121 immediately. For various reasons, production of the SB6121 was delayed for months and then they seem to have had other issues ever since because they've been incapable of keeping up with demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Sprawl posted:

The way the company does things is not normal, most isp's dont pre-bill and on that stance alone its enough to not bother.
Feel free to point me to a single reseller that doesn't pre-bill. Out of the 23 options I have in my area, every single one pre-bills. Because they are forced to pay the big ISP's upfront as well.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Naes posted:

Anyway my question is; If I were to sign up for Teksavvy cable internet, would I be able to use the Motorola Surfboard modem which I have? Is it "locked" to videotrons network? Can I reset it or something? Ideally I want to get Teksavvy internet without having to buy a modem if I can use the one I have.
Does the modem still have the Modem ID/MAC address sticker on it? As long as you can provide that information to TekSavvy and the modem is supported on the network, it should work just fine. (You might also need the serial number for the modem, but I don't think that's the case.)

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Vergeh posted:

Also, the switch is a bit of a pain in the rear end. Rogers requires 30 days cancellation notice, and Teksavvy can't book more than 7 days in advance.
Did you tell Teksavvy that you were already connected with Rogers and needed to cancel? They can only book a contractor to make a new connection to your house 7 days in advance, but if you tell them your last day with Rogers, they can just set it up as a transfer of service on their end, and in that case the earlier you tell them the better.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

rhag posted:

I asked on DSL Reports this very question and the answer I got was that no, Rogers does their throttling (I'm not interested in P2P, just their DPI poo poo that doesnt let me play WoW) after Teksavvy got out from their network.
For reference, I'm on Teksavvy Cable in Ottawa, and I moved from Rogers, and I can certainly say that at least the throttling I experienced with certain programs (although I don't play WoW) completely dissapeared after the transfer. Of course, that might change at any point. I know the change to Bell throttling TekSavvy connections literally happened overnight without warning.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

Not free, but I'm really happy with usvideo.org. Almost done watching all of TOS :D
I think that is the $4.99 thing Vintersong was saying he didn't want.

That said, I use it too and I love it. I've been back to using Pandora and renting movies off Vudu as well. However, I miss Canadian Netflix. Personally, I think their selection is better than the US one.

Vintersorg posted:

I just setup another Netflix account without any issue, it knew my CC was entered so I didn't get another free trial. No big deal. I tested it out and I have Star Trek up and it switched to HD!! Not even the loving Canadian one did this, I watched Exit Through the Give Shop earlier today and it never switched up.
No, it will do that on the Canadian one too. I think you have to manually change it in your account settings, though, because it defaults to assuming you have an ISP with a low cap.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

8ender posted:

I just signed up with my PC Financial MC and it worked fine?
Yeah, Netflix US now accepts credit cards from anywhere.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

less than three posted:

Dry loop uses Bell, not Rogers.
Also, Bell has been throttling Teksavvy connections for years so melon cat's area may just be lucky.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

8ender posted:

I was recently upgraded as well. From 15mbps to 24mbps download. The upload is still the horrible 1mbps. Rogers is slowly rolling out speed upgrades to all the Teksavvy customers.
Yeah, I just noticed over the past week or so that my downloads on Teksavvy have been much faster than usual.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Martytoof posted:

It's times like this where I really enjoy working a campus job :3:
Yeah, but what good is having those speeds when the best thing that can take advantage of it is the one thing you aren't allowed to download at work? Women in the workplace have ruined everything. :(

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Constellation I posted:

Thanks, that helps a lot. So I guess the dates I'm able to select on the teksavvy form doesn't really matter other than the fact that it will be my monthly start date with TekSavvy?
As Lone Rogue said, choose the exact same date as your cancellation from Rogers and be sure to mention that in your email that it will be a transfer of service. As I think I have mentioned previously in the thread, connecting TekSavvy before disconnecting from Rogers will actually increase the chances of something going wrong, not decrease it.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Constellation I posted:

What e-mail? I guess if I choose in the sign-up form that I have Rogers and it asks for my disconnect date, that it's explicit that I'm doing a transfer of service isn't it? If not, I'll try to find a form to put that in I guess.
I just meant you should make it clear that you already got a disconnection date from Rogers when you sign up with TekSavvy.

quote:

Yeah, this is what was confusing me. Seems like from what I've read online, a lot of people switched to TekSavvy the way you did. But I've also read that for some of them, a Rogers tech actually came and physically cut the line at their cable box during/after their disconnect date.
That's why I'm suggesting not to have two lines at once because that seems to be what's causing a lot of the recurring issues.

i.e. If you connect the same day, then all TekSavvy has to do is order Rogers to merely transfer the service to them through the exact same connection line except using the info regarding the new modem. There is a potential for something to still go wrong in the paperwork but it's less likely and under most circumstances nobody needs to be sent to your cable box.

Alternately, if you keep both lines running, the following issues could pop up:
- The day of your connection to TekSavvy, a contractor is sent to your house with an order to connect you to cable service and finds you are already connected, is confused and thinks there was a mistake, so instead of giving you a seperate line he just leaves it as is and marks the job as completed on the form.
- The day of your disconnection to Rogers, another contractor goes to your house with a brief form that probably just tells him that you need to be disconnected from cable with no other info. Seeing as having two seperate cable connections going through the same line to the same building is extremely unorthodox, disconnecting you from it completely seems like the rational thing for him to do.

That's why I think the people on DSLReports that insist on overlapping them are probably creating the headache they think they are mitigating.

As for disconnections after the fact, it's probably because they are doing work in the area, and again, all their report says is that you no longer subscribe to Rogers so they mistakenly think someone forgot to shut you off. That could happen either way. I also put a note on my cable box that says something along the lines of "TPIA SUBSCRIBER. DO NOT DISCONNECT. CALL XXXXX FOR MORE INFO" as some people have suggested.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 14, 2011

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

We'll have to wait and see if this turns into a good thing. He might be just as bad as Konrad but much more capable of hiding his decisions in technobabble bullshit when explaining them to politicians.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

The Dark One posted:

I guess it's time to pack up this thread. Rogers commisioned a study that found that Canada's internet service is actually great!

http://www.montrealgazette.com/technology/Canada+Internet+among+best+world/6090546/story.html
"Canadians also have the second-least expensive average monthly broadband subscription rates in the G7, with a typical monthly fee of US$30.79 in Canada being only slightly more than the US$29.80 per month Internet service providers (ISPs) charge in Italy."

Considering that Rogers doesn't even offer a plan less than $35.99 (which doesn't include all their additional service fees), I find that tidbit kind of funny. Is there some place in Canada offering a $5 broadband plan to help come up with that average?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Add another user of unblock-us who loves it. The only major hassle I had was that I needed to delete and then re-download the Netflix app on my PS3 because the Canadian and US versions of the app are different. Also, I can't rent movies off the PS3 Store anymore (it gives me a DNS error message) but I'm not even certain that it's related and now that I have access to Vudu I don't miss it anyways.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

I noticed that the main website of unblock-us pretty much removes all information regarding what most people would plan to do with it, including within the testimonials. I wonder if they got in trouble somewhere or what was the reasoning for it.

Sprawl posted:

oh i was ready for the $200 pre billed and everything was fine....
This was like the 5th time you had a ragefest in this thread over the fact that TekSavvy prebilled you and how no legitimate business would ever do that, and then when people call you on it you claim it actually wasn't an issue. At the very least, be consistent if you're going to continue to harp on this point.

Lone Rogue posted:

Worst part is a horrid lack of good Canadian content (it's basically just Kids in the Hall. Where's Reboot, Hardcore Logo, Made in Canada, Smoggies, Are you Afraid of the Dark, etc.?), some weak choices on new releases and a dog poo poo selection of comedies/stand up specials. I do like how they add failed TV shows. That's cool.
The reason why they don't have good Canadian content and why their selection is lacking compared to the US go hand in hand - Canadian license holders are terrible and unreasonable to deal with, especially since most have pretty strong ties to traditional services like Rogers in the first place. It's the same reason why so many ebooks on the Amazon store have the "not available in Canada" caveat once you go to checkout, and why it took forever for the PS3 video store to launch here.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 10, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Paul Coffey posted:

Everyone I know uses that unblock us thing and they make me so jealous! I'm too scared to do it because it seems like rule breaking (not sure) or lying or something but man they see all these crazy shows and it drives a guy nuts hearing about it!
I admit you feel pretty sketchy entering in fake DNS information and then making a fake account under a fake address for everything and starting up a fake credit card for some services. But as far as grey zone actions, I think it's pretty low on the totem pole. I'm not blocking the ads on Pandora or Hulu and I'm paying the proper legal price for Netflix as well as things I've rented/bought from Amazon Digital or Vudu. When my alternatives for a lot of this content is either to willingly pay Rogers for their lovely cable service or pirating, lying about my location but still getting content through technically legal means doesn't keep me up at night.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 11, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

I had some trouble with unblock-us where suddenly I wasn't able to access sites like Facebook or Google. After taking out their custom DNS and making it automatically come in (this is all at the router level) things would work. Anyone else experience this? I haven't turned it on for a while now because of that. I still pay since it's only $5 a month.
I'm pretty sure you have to use specific urls off their website to access twitter, facebook, etc. so that it redirects properly. Google works just fine for me, so can't help you there.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Just a friendly reminder that overage fees are a necessity because our bandwidth is being clogged up and it's not at all just an additional revenue stream that is essentially pure profit.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Weird. I also use unblock-us, but recently I've been sticking with the Canadian Netflix more often than the US. Community, Justified, and a whole crapload of newer releases that aren't on the US version as well as a lot of classics like Das Boot.

That said, I'm sure this is partially a "grass is always greener" feeling and that the selection is paltry. Probably because our licensing up here is garbage. I know zip.ca and a few other competitors have completely dropped their plans on making a competing service.

thexerox123 posted:

It definitely doesn't have everything. I did a search in that first link for The X-Files, which I've been watching on Netflix in Canada, and it didn't come up. Same with Misfits.
Yeah, you can't use instantwatcher as a viable comparison. If it's a different version or distributor, then it doesn't show up as Canada having it. Not to mention that anything the Canadian one carries and the US doesn't, it's not listed at all.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Wirth1000 posted:

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/unlimitedinternet?cm_sp=internet-_-unlimited-internet-en-0213-_-slot2

There's the info on it. $30/mth on top if you don't have the tv/isp/phone bundle.
I saw that, but I think I'll stick with TekSavvy until they do something outrageous to piss me off. I've been the beaten housewife too many times from Rogers and Bell to switch over based on one sweet deal.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

I went with Start instead of TekSavvy when I moved a couple years back. Customer service is fantastic. I occasionally have bandwidth issues with streaming stuff like Netflix in the early evenings, but not sure if it's my actual connection that is causing it. Other than that, it works great! This is in a Rogers area, though.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

After unblock-us stopped working for the second time, I went with ViperDNS. Takes a little longer for the streaming to bump all the way up for Netflix, but other than that, it has been working without issue so far. They're also one of the few sites still bragging on their website that accessing US content is exactly what their business is for, so that makes me a little more confident, but obviously at this point in time, I'm not taking a chance on an annual membership.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

The appeal was pretty desperate in the first place. As if the Liberal government was going to eliminate a industry regulation that the Conservative government thought was necessary.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Is there one of those sticks/mini-boxes with a remote that works with Netflix, Crave and Amazon Prime TV? I feel like every time I research this I come up with 2 out of 3.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

There's no Android TV app for Crave, but you can get all three on a Fire Stick though I think
I just checked and you're right. Guess I should have paid more attention to recent changes. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

I ended up picking up the new 4K Fire Stick and it's working perfectly for what I need it for. Another option would have been the Apple TV I guess, but as someone who uses a Windows computer and an Android phone I guessed that there might be some annoyances down the line.