Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

dog nougat posted:

Hopefully gonna be adopting a poor injured, dirty, and neglected stray I found yesterday. She's at the local spca getting all patched up, spayed, and tested for parasites and maladies. She's a smaller Malinois, prob around 2ish. No clue if she has ever been trained or even house broken. I'm guessing at best that she was living in someone's back yard totally neglected. Assuming the likely scenario that nobody claims her in the next few days I will adopt her. I fell in love with her during the brief few hours i spent with her. She seemed to have a relatively gentle temperament, but that may have been from her bleeding injuries. She definitely warmed up to me and was responding to my voice positively by the time I handed her over. I'm ready to give her lotsa much needed love and care.

I read the op and it's super informative and helpful. However I'd like an actual physical book to read over to help prepare me. What single book do y'all recommend? I'm interested in combination clicker/verbal training...if that's a thing, if not please advise. I haven't had a dog in drat near 20 years, and they were all socialized adoptees. I'm def a training novice, but I feel confident i can train a dog. Just need a solid tangible starting point.

I like The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller for dog owning newbies. You can always use a verbal marker instead of a click if you want to, I use a clicker and a verbal "Yep!" pretty interchangeably.

If the pup is really a malinois you're in for some craziness so be sure you are actually prepared. They are not dogs for novice owners.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Ml4Cyk42Q

Shelters are notorious about making up breeds though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I like The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller for dog owning newbies. You can always use a verbal marker instead of a click if you want to, I use a clicker and a verbal "Yep!" pretty interchangeably.

If the pup is really a malinois you're in for some craziness so be sure you are actually prepared. They are not dogs for novice owners.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Ml4Cyk42Q

Shelters are notorious about making up breeds though.

ok cool, seems like a good starting point. She def looks to be at least part Malinois. Her ears are def smaller than the pictures I've seen, but her coat and tail look to be in line with what I've seen. No doubt the shelter has no clue as to what she actually is, but went with their best guess based off her appearance. I was able to carry her to the shelter and by my guess she's probably around 40 lbs, albeit a malnourished 40 lbs. I guess it's essentially gonna be a sink or swim type scenario in this case. I expect her to be a high energy dog, which is honestly what I'm interested in. I want a dog I can run around with and take for bike rides (once I get her used to the idea of a bike and being around one).

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Well, got The Power of Positive Dog Training. Still reading it, but so far it's pretty interesting for me. Definitely puts a lot of my notions in check. Taking notes and earnestly studying the things it says.

I'll find out more about the status of the pooch on tues. Last i had heard from the spca was that she had been being aggressive with them. Not necessarily surprising, she had a pretty traumatic and overwhelming experience. She wasn't aggressive with me except for an initial nip at me right after i met her. Was petting her head/neck and stroked her back. She didn't like that/didn't trust me enough to let me do that yet. Beyond that she was fine with me.

The aggression bit is a bit alarming and worrying. I won't go so far to say she's feral, but definitely been poorly socialized and grossly neglected. I'll no doubt have my work cut out for me with her. My primary concern is that my housemate has a dog. A kinda yappy, but friendly Chihuahua. I'm concerned that she'll see him as a snack/prey. I'm certain that she can be trained to recognize that other animals aren't playthings and to keep them out of her mouth. How much effort that'll require on my part is a mystery though. As it stands, my current plan is to crate train her until it's apparent that she doesn't see the Chihuahua as potential food. I won't leave her roaming the house unsupervised until it's completely apparent that she is adequately socialized and comfortable within my house.

I'm concerned that I might be in over my head here. The dog I met is different than the dog described to me over the phone. Certainly she was injured when I met her. I fear that she's been abused and neglected by humans for long enough that it's going to be difficult to get her to trust again. If there were no other dogs in the house I wouldn't be nearly so concerned, but that simply isn't the case. Proximity is also a factor here. My housemate and I live right adjacent to one another, so it's not like I can have the 2 dogs separated from each other until they recognize the smell of one another. My housemate while she certainly loves her dog, definitely has a habit of rewarding and reinforcing what I'd consider negative behavior. I worry that her doting nature will be counterproductive to my efforts to train a dog. Obviously I need to speak with her about this, and emphasize the importance of consistent behavior on our parts with regards to the incoming dog.

Really looking for opinions and advice here. I like to think that I have a plan, but if it's feasible I have clue to be honest. As I see it, the best case scenario is me having a dog that responds well, and is leading a happy houndy life, with little to no interdog/interhuman conflict. Worst case scenario here is my housemates dog is killed and the dog is an absolutely untrainable hellion. Please advise.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

dog nougat posted:

Really looking for opinions and advice here. I like to think that I have a plan, but if it's feasible I have clue to be honest. As I see it, the best case scenario is me having a dog that responds well, and is leading a happy houndy life, with little to no interdog/interhuman conflict. Worst case scenario here is my housemates dog is killed and the dog is an absolutely untrainable hellion. Please advise.

My advice is don't take her.

I wouldn't take a dog in a situation with an established resident dog unless I was convinced that they would get along (or at least ignore one another), particularly with a size difference.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

She sounds like way too much dog for you to take on. It's super nice of you for getting this dog help but it really doesn't like a situation that would be good for either you or the dog. If she's really a mal she needs to go to a breed rescue and an owner familiar with rehabilitating them. Even if she isn't a mal she still needs some intense rehabilitation work. I know of a dog trainer who had her mal break through two doors to get to another dog and they ended up losing both dogs to the injuries. A chi wouldn't have a chance.

You totally deserve to have a dog that goes running with you and has a happy life, and there are so many dogs out there that will fit the bill without needing years of intense training and rehabilitation. If you decide to take a chance on this dog you need to get in touch with a vet behaviorist asap and never let it interact with the other dog or strangers until you have had her evaluated by a professional. This sounds like it is going to be a project dog and not a fun, happy running partner.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah. Gonna pass on this pooch in all likelihood. Talked to the shelter today, and the prognosis isn't looking good. Apparently she's really aggressive with them there. Like beyond just growling and baring teeth, actually charging her enclosure when people come around. They asked me to come by tomorrow and see how she responds to me, but I've pretty much tempered my expectations here. They said they see this kind of thing a lot. An injured stray is brought in and relatively passive, then palliative care is given and the dogs return to their "normal" self and become pretty aggressive. A little bummed, she seemed really sweet when I met her. Oh well, there's certainly not a dearth of dogs in need of adoption. I'll peruse the selection of adoptable dogs tomorrow. Part of me is interested in a younger dog, since they're generally more moldable. Really though I just want to find a dog that's a good fit for me and generally not a complete chore to deal with.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Do you guys have any advice on how to train a dog who doesn't like to have his nails clipped?

I've been working on getting him to put his paw into my hand when I ask for it, and that's working great - but trying to build him up to the hold command - i.e. holding his paw still when I bring the clipper to it (without actually clipping!) is, uh. Slow. And just now while working on it he refused to offer his paw at all. (Even though I'm offering treats for doing so!)

I know he hates getting them clipped, but... this really is the best way to do it, pal. Tricking you with a whole dinner while I clip one claw is not sustainable when you have that many claws.

Notes: I'm using a clicker, his treats are his dinner which he loves, and he's smart. At least, he's smart enough to figure out roll and bring quickly. The problem here is very much that he hates the clipper more than he loves his treats, but....mm. Should I use hotdog slices instead...?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Do you guys have any advice on how to train a dog who doesn't like to have his nails clipped?

I've been working on getting him to put his paw into my hand when I ask for it, and that's working great - but trying to build him up to the hold command - i.e. holding his paw still when I bring the clipper to it (without actually clipping!) is, uh. Slow. And just now while working on it he refused to offer his paw at all. (Even though I'm offering treats for doing so!)

I know he hates getting them clipped, but... this really is the best way to do it, pal. Tricking you with a whole dinner while I clip one claw is not sustainable when you have that many claws.

Notes: I'm using a clicker, his treats are his dinner which he loves, and he's smart. At least, he's smart enough to figure out roll and bring quickly. The problem here is very much that he hates the clipper more than he loves his treats, but....mm. Should I use hotdog slices instead...?

Having 2 or even 3 people helps. That's what we did initially. One to hold the(standing) dog, one to feed a constant stream of treats and then one to cut the nails. Lots of encouragement, bonus treat stream on each cut, etc. We then got it down to 2 persons, then got her lying down and now it's a 1 person job. It did take about a year to get to that point.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I want to start filing them down. How do I start that or should I get a puppy so that there can be an example who knows it from birth?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Having 2 or even 3 people helps. That's what we did initially. One to hold the(standing) dog, one to feed a constant stream of treats and then one to cut the nails. Lots of encouragement, bonus treat stream on each cut, etc. We then got it down to 2 persons, then got her lying down and now it's a 1 person job. It did take about a year to get to that point.

Hmm. We'll try this with more treats (and more valuable ones, like hot dog slices) - the thing is, the last time we did this he basically wriggled his way free, and refused to let me even hold his paws. Like, it was an out and out distressing event for him. :(

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hmm. We'll try this with more treats (and more valuable ones, like hot dog slices) - the thing is, the last time we did this he basically wriggled his way free, and refused to let me even hold his paws. Like, it was an out and out distressing event for him. :(

Right, ours figured out something was up too, so we had a couple of 'sessions' where we went through the motions and do anything.. We also added lots of random paw touches, especially during play and cuddle session.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

You really need to start slowly and build up a positive association around you handling the dog's feet and nails before you even get to trimming. It can be a really long, boring process but it's so worth it to have a dog that will just stand there and let you trim. At this point I just put mine in a stand stay in front of a bowl of meatballs or cheese and dremel them all real quick before releasing him. It can be done! Just take some time to desensitize the whole process.

Here's a video that might help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuXwKqXTBsE

There are also some good fb groups about training nail trims positively and in June there will be another round of this cooperative care class that is supposed to be excellent.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Update on the dog I took to the shelter earlier this month.

Got calls from the spca last week and yesterday, apparently she's become much friendlier and more social with people. She was in quarantine for a bit for a cough/respiratory infection. I voiced my concerns about how she'll be around other dogs, especially smaller dogs she might want to kill/eat. They have since done an evaluation with a small dog that has a bit of a dominant or very forward personality and she passed that. She's slated to be spayed later this week now that she's no longer ill. I plan on going to visit her this week to see how she reacts to me and see if she's a good fit or not. If so, I'll return with my housemate and her dog to see how she reacts to him. It strikes me as a bit less than ideal, since he's generally a bit more docile or reserved outside of the house.

Still have some trepidation about her earlier behavior. I guess when I go to see her I'll have a better idea of what she's like and go from there. I'm curious to how she'll be around larger dogs as well. I live in New Orleans, so pitbulls are super common, if not the most prevalent breed here. I'd like to know that she won't act like a shithead around the big meaty musclehead dogs.

Internet Nobody
May 17, 2009
Hoping the thread might be able to help with my puppy problems. Just got a 12 week old rescue beagle/some sort of hound mix. Mom and litter were found under an abandoned house - and 3 of her pups (including mine) got parvo. I've had him for 5 days now, and he has had his ups and downs. He has gotten really good about pooping outside (lots of praise helps, has only pooped in crate once yesterday morning since the day we got him) but refuses to pee outside (have only managed to get him to pee outside once, gave him a TON of praise but still not repeating).

He's being crate trained, and for the first couple of nights he was great. Goes into crate readily (though needs a push to put back legs in), whines a little then calms down and sleeps. However, he has been peeing in his crate one or more times per night for at least the last 3 nights (and pees in his crate during the day when i take him to work). I woke up every 2 hours, took him out of crate, sat with him in confined space near pee pad for 10-15 minutes, and he wouldnt pee, then sometime after that he pees in crate, and doesn't seem to mind the mess.

Any tips here? I'm exhausted and feeling the stress. Should I give up on crate training and get a playpen instead or something?

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
It

Tom Steele posted:

Hoping the thread might be able to help with my puppy problems. Just got a 12 week old rescue beagle/some sort of hound mix. Mom and litter were found under an abandoned house - and 3 of her pups (including mine) got parvo. I've had him for 5 days now, and he has had his ups and downs. He has gotten really good about pooping outside (lots of praise helps, has only pooped in crate once yesterday morning since the day we got him) but refuses to pee outside (have only managed to get him to pee outside once, gave him a TON of praise but still not repeating).

He's being crate trained, and for the first couple of nights he was great. Goes into crate readily (though needs a push to put back legs in), whines a little then calms down and sleeps. However, he has been peeing in his crate one or more times per night for at least the last 3 nights (and pees in his crate during the day when i take him to work). I woke up every 2 hours, took him out of crate, sat with him in confined space near pee pad for 10-15 minutes, and he wouldnt pee, then sometime after that he pees in crate, and doesn't seem to mind the mess.

Any tips here? I'm exhausted and feeling the stress. Should I give up on crate training and get a playpen instead or something?

It’s just a puppy thing. He’s still very very young; it’s going to take a few weeks or even longer to really be consistent.

It took more than six months for my dog to be completely house trained and not peeing in random rooms and hidden spots.

Internet Nobody
May 17, 2009

Old Swerdlow posted:

It

It’s just a puppy thing. He’s still very very young; it’s going to take a few weeks or even longer to really be consistent.

It took more than six months for my dog to be completely house trained and not peeing in random rooms and hidden spots.

Thanks for the reassurance! Should i not be worried about the peeing in the crate and sleeping in it part? Should i try a playpen with pads instead?

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Tom Steele posted:

Thanks for the reassurance! Should i not be worried about the peeing in the crate and sleeping in it part? Should i try a playpen with pads instead?

I don’t have a ton of experience with dog training, so don’t take my advice as gospel, but I feel like the peeing should stop after a while as you continue to train. If you feel that the playpen will help go for it, it’s not like it has to be a permanent solution. I personally also avoided using any sort of pee pads because it seemed to me in past experiences to encourage them to continue peeing inside the house. But again, every situation is different depending on the dog and owners circumstances.

Also a lot training just takes time. You can’t just force the dog to understand what you want it to do. You just keep at it and you eventually everything to will just click for the dog and you’ll totally forget how much they have learned and progressed in a few months.

Old Swerdlow fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 7, 2018

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Is there anything specific I should look out for in a singleton puppy? My friend’s lab had a singleton around the same time one of his gundogs had a litter of 9 so he’s been playing with them and being plenty socialized, but I would guess that there may be problems with patience given that he’s had 9 tits to himself from his mum even if he’s been great with everything else

We’re meeting him tomorrow and are planning on taking him home, he’s roughly 25lbs at 9 weeks old so I think he’s gonna he huge :3:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
My pup is still difficult with other dogs. Not aggressive, but just very excited. I imagine some restraint/chiding/talking down is necessary. I also feel that other dogs, esp older ones will help socialize her a bit. She is generally a good listener, if a bit distracted around new dogs. What should I do to calm her down somewhat? She's about 1.5 max, shepherd mix at best guess. Normally she is a great listener, eager to please, and very obedient.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Punishing for excitement around other dogs can cause problems for you down the line (and make it more likely for your dog to get reactive). Find a distance from the exciting thing where she can notice it and not completely lose her mind, then click and treat (or just treat if you're not using a clicker) for any calm behavior. So looking away from the stimulus rates, as does putting slack in the leash, yawning, sitting, basically everything that's not going apeshit.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Well, sweet pooch is getting better around other dogs. It's difficult keeping her at a distance since we encounter dogs randomly behind gates/fences/around corners. It's slower than I'd like, but there's definite improvement in her behavior overall. A lot of it is also relative to the other dog's behavior. Energetic, barking dogs get her very excited and she tries to leap forward. I've noticed her being better overall in a harness than without.

She and my housemate's Chihuahua are great together now. He barely barks at her anymore, so that major hurdle is out of the way!

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I've got a dog that likes to sleep on our bed when we're away. He used to be allowed to sleep in the bed with us but we stopped doing that about 3 years ago. I would just shut the bedroom door, but there's a low window in the room that looks at the front door and my wife likes to have a barking dog visible in case someone comes up.

Anyway, I've covered the bed with laundry baskets and poo poo, and after awhile of that I stopped needing to because he stopped jumping on the bed when we were away, until now. I just caught him jumping back on the bed on the security camera, so apparently this is happening again.

Piling a bunch of crap on the bed is a hassle to do every morning and clearly didn't leave a lasting impression, my wife doesn't like the idea of electric scat mats, and the dog is pretty spoiled because he (allegedly) never really had much bad behavior until around the time she met me, and so anytime I punish him for bad behavior, he acts like it is just me being a scary jerk and tries to hide behind my wife. I should also mention he has three dog beds that he could choose from.

Since we don't have an issue of him jumping on the bed when we're home, this may not even be the right thread, but anyone have any ideas? Do I just need to suck it up and throw the ironing board on the bed every morning or is there something else I can try?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

let the dog on the bed

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Is there no way to close the bedroom door?

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

let the dog on the bed

But then the bed is covered in dog hair and chunks of dirt, and also our other dog, who is too old to get on the bed (and drools too much to be allowed anyway), is excluded.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is there no way to close the bedroom door?

There is, but as I said, my wife wants him to have access to the window that looks at our front door so he can bark at strangers who come to the door while we're away.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
You could put a big sheet over your bed. Takes care of hair and mud and won’t make you crazy trying to battle a self-rewarding behavior. The old dog will still have 3 beds to himself.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Or a tarp. The texture might discourage the behavior.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Would anyone be so kind as to make a muzzle recommendation? My wife did a bunch of googling, and initially turned me on to Jafco muzzles, but changed her mind just before I pulled the trigger on one. I was looking at the clear poly model, as it's supposedly softer, so there's less worry about anyone getting smacked with a hard plastic edge. The fact that it's clear also, in my mind, makes it less obvious that the muzzle is there, so it'll help avoid some of the stigma. At least that's what I'm thinking. But now my wife seems set on a cage muzzle, on the grounds that they allow better air flow for panting, but I'm worried about either the wire of a metal cage causing injuries, or the plastic version getting caught and ripping or something similar.

So, of the two, which do you goons think is better? Is there a third option we're not considering? I'm honestly a bit surprised that in the dog training thread, there's very little talk of muzzles at all.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

neogeo0823 posted:

Would anyone be so kind as to make a muzzle recommendation? My wife did a bunch of googling, and initially turned me on to Jafco muzzles, but changed her mind just before I pulled the trigger on one. I was looking at the clear poly model, as it's supposedly softer, so there's less worry about anyone getting smacked with a hard plastic edge. The fact that it's clear also, in my mind, makes it less obvious that the muzzle is there, so it'll help avoid some of the stigma. At least that's what I'm thinking. But now my wife seems set on a cage muzzle, on the grounds that they allow better air flow for panting, but I'm worried about either the wire of a metal cage causing injuries, or the plastic version getting caught and ripping or something similar.

So, of the two, which do you goons think is better? Is there a third option we're not considering? I'm honestly a bit surprised that in the dog training thread, there's very little talk of muzzles at all.

Some of it depends on what kind of dog you have, what you are using the muzzle for, and how long/during what activities the dog will be expected to wear it. I like my baskerville muzzle and they seem to be pretty popular among people who regularly use muzzles. Depending on your dog's face shape a greyhound/whippet style muzzle might work for you too. If you really want to splash out the bumas muzzles seem to be the most customizable but they're also $$$.

The Muzzle Up Project is a good place to start for all things muzzle training related.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

I can vouch for the quality of baskerville muzzles, but our use-case might be a little different than yours. Our dog Diefenbaker is afraid of strangers and part of the reason we use a muzzle is to actively discourage people from approaching him. He's very cute so before we got his muzzle people would want to get into his personal space and this could trigger his anxiety so now we don't let him out of the house without his muzzle on. It's been working great for that and the basket style on the baskervilles make it really easy to get him into it; I put a treat in my hand and cup it around the front of the muzzle so he has to put his snout in to get it and the basket leaves just enough room for him to be able to chew it and breathe through his mouth a little. He's tried to drink water through it but I don't know how successful he was at it. He wouldn't tell me.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I'm going to get a trainer to work with Tracker. She pulls on the leash, but she's getting the concept of "easy" down. Once the initial puppy excitedness wears off, she's okay on the leash.

But holy poo poo other dogs. She is insanely excited to play with other dogs and she'll flip her poo poo running over to them. I've tried walking with treats, but the other dog gets 100% of her focus. I don't mind taking her to the dog park, but she's not spayed yet, so that's a no go. In the meantime, I've got to figure out a solution that's not "Hope there are no other dogs on our path."

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Until someone more qualified than me steps in. I'll just say. Better treats, more distance. Chicken, Pizza, something really smelly you can wave in front of her nose and get her to look at you. It has to be more interesting than a new dog. Hard to do.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Behavior Adjustment Training (by Grisha Stewart) is good for over excitement like that. It was originally meant for reactive dogs but it's works for dogs that are just hyped up too. I have the original book and really like it but you can probably find videos about it on youtube if you don't want to wait for a book. The second book is supposed to be good but I haven't read it. Look at That from Control Unleashed would be a great exercise for you guys too and you can find tons of resources out there on it. The trick to either is going to be noticing when Tracker has just noticed another dog but hasn't flipped her poo poo yet so start practicing those observational skills.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Thanks!

Seems like I was on the right track, but I need better rewards and was a little over expectant.

The other thing I was wondering is if I should tire her out before trying the training, let her get a big run in and then follow up with the walking. I'm not sure if that would be too much, or help make focusing easier.

Writer Cath fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 28, 2018

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Some of it depends on what kind of dog you have, what you are using the muzzle for, and how long/during what activities the dog will be expected to wear it. I like my baskerville muzzle and they seem to be pretty popular among people who regularly use muzzles. Depending on your dog's face shape a greyhound/whippet style muzzle might work for you too. If you really want to splash out the bumas muzzles seem to be the most customizable but they're also $$$.

The Muzzle Up Project is a good place to start for all things muzzle training related.

Where do I begin? Our dog is a rescue pit bull that was brought in from a fighting ring bust. We're pretty sure she was used as a bait dog, but not 100%. She's fantastic with people, just very hyper and excited about meeting new people for the first half hour. The problem lies with other dogs. Anything larger than her, she cowers behind us and freaks out when they get nosy. Anything smaller, she tends to try to go after. While she has calmed down some over the last few years, it's starting to become more of a problem with other dog owners in the area not having their dogs on leashes, and we're getting more and more worried about having an incident. Our plan with the muzzle is two fold; it's piece of mind for us, for when we're walking her, and we also hope to be able to more safely try to train her away from the worse behaviors. We went with the baskerville muzzle, which makes my wife happy, but I'm still eyeing the Jafco, as it just seems very likely to me that an ear or something might slip through the... bars? strips? compared to the Jafco. I dunno, we'll see how it goes.

Hdip posted:

Until someone more qualified than me steps in. I'll just say. Better treats, more distance. Chicken, Pizza, something really smelly you can wave in front of her nose and get her to look at you. It has to be more interesting than a new dog. Hard to do.

Behavior Adjustment Training (by Grisha Stewart) is good for over excitement like that. It was originally meant for reactive dogs but it's works for dogs that are just hyped up too. I have the original book and really like it but you can probably find videos about it on youtube if you don't want to wait for a book. The second book is supposed to be good but I haven't read it. Look at That from Control Unleashed would be a great exercise for you guys too and you can find tons of resources out there on it. The trick to either is going to be noticing when Tracker has just noticed another dog but hasn't flipped her poo poo yet so start practicing those observational skills.

These are both very good bits of advice, and I'll be looking into those books and videos when the muzzle actually arrives and we can start getting her acclimated to wearing it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Double post? I mean, it was 4 days ago. Our Baskerville came in. Overall, our dog took it pretty well. We showered her with treats while she was investigating, when we got it on her, while we were fitting it, and then for a bit over 5 minutes with it on before we took it off. I think if we keep that up and increase the times incrementally for a bit, she'll be ready to wear it on a walk in no time.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
I also posted this in the rabbit thread, but I’m posting it here too because it’s more of a dog problem.

I just got a rabbit today. We named him Buntolo Colòn (Bartolo Colòn). He’s two years old and the most chill animal.

The problem is my dogs. I have a 12 year old standard dachshund and a five year old mini dachshund. They are obsessed with him. The mini is pretty cool. She grooms him and they’ll chase each other around, but she starts to get a little nippy with Buntolo. My old guy only wants to bite him. I was able to get him to ignore Buntolo to an extent or at least not bite, but he’s not consistent. I can’t even have Buntolo caged in the same room without them crying and freaking out. Meanwhile he just sits in his cage, eating hay, not giving a gently caress.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to reinforce good manners from everyone?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Weenies have rabbit hunting bred into them, so you’re in for fun. It’s possible the older pup might get used to the rabbit at some point if they’re around each other, but that’s hard to say.

ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008
Not sure if this belongs in the general dog thread or this one but my gf and I adopted a Chihuahua mix from the shelter about 2 months ago. For the most part, he's a pretty good dog. We've taught him basic obedience and he listens fairly well and his overall behavior is improving except for one thing.

In the morning when we wake up he gets super excited and starts jumping up and biting our shirts and nipping at our slippers. We've tried ignoring the behavior and giving him attention once he stops. We've tried pre-emptively giving him treats or a loved toy before his feet leave the ground but he'll still nip at our slippers. We've tried issuing commands like sit which he does sit but once we start moving he'll resume the behavior. I guess maybe stay would work better.

I feel like his behavior hasn't improved at all no matter what we do. Nothing really seems to calm him down except time. I'm not sure if we are missing something or just need to be more consistent with one method or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ObesePriest posted:

Not sure if this belongs in the general dog thread or this one but my gf and I adopted a Chihuahua mix from the shelter about 2 months ago. For the most part, he's a pretty good dog. We've taught him basic obedience and he listens fairly well and his overall behavior is improving except for one thing.

In the morning when we wake up he gets super excited and starts jumping up and biting our shirts and nipping at our slippers. We've tried ignoring the behavior and giving him attention once he stops. We've tried pre-emptively giving him treats or a loved toy before his feet leave the ground but he'll still nip at our slippers. We've tried issuing commands like sit which he does sit but once we start moving he'll resume the behavior. I guess maybe stay would work better.

I feel like his behavior hasn't improved at all no matter what we do. Nothing really seems to calm him down except time. I'm not sure if we are missing something or just need to be more consistent with one method or what.

I wake up earlier than my parents and Apollo is thrilled to greet them in the morning, complete with overexcited wiggles, jumps, and nips.

What's helped the most - as we did a battery similar to yours - was Mom just beelining for a chair, sitting, then giving Apollo undivided "good morning!!" attention. He can't jump, he gets petted and welcomed, and then he's polite for the rest of the morning. Fortunately my Mom loves doing this so I don't have to restrain him every morning - because oh man does Dad hate being jumped on.

In conclusion: would you be willing to give him 100% attention for half a minute, maybe a minute, including a belly rub? Overdosing him with the good stuff might help.

• Locked thread