Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
panictheory
Aug 9, 2006

So I have a quick question. What is the best age to start advanced training with a puppy? Do they respond to the clicker at an early age or should that be saved until they are more mature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panictheory
Aug 9, 2006

a life less posted:

Puppies can have sit and down mastered by about 10 weeks. Stay and come happen soon after that. What sort of advanced training are you thinking about? Walking at heel on leash is probably the hardest thing to achieve -- it takes a good ~6 months of consistent work to get it almost perfect. Everything else can be mastered pretty early.

Regarding clicker training, it can be tough to learn how to use it properly (timing, etc) so if you start young both you and your dog can learn together. :3:

It's important, for now, that she learns heel, come, stay and drop it. We have a large gated backyard that has a variety of fun wildlife for her to chase after, so being able to tell her to stop what she's doing and come sit next to me is going to be important. We also have a great dog park here in town and I want to be able to bring her there and know she will listen to me!

I'm curious how you keep track of all the tricks you've taught Cohen. Do you keep some sort of a training journal?

• Locked thread