Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
This thread has been really awesome, thank you all for the great info. My boyfriend and I got a (wonderful, awesome, totally the best) pup on Dec 17th and with all your help she has learned quite a few commands. We've run into a couple problems, though, so maybe someone can help a little more.

She came to us knowing "sit" and she tends to default to that if she knows we have treats. It's been a little difficult to work on things like the loose leash training that a life less outlined because once she knows I have treats in my pocket she'll just sit, assuming that's what I want from her. The only way to get her to stand up is to move away from her but then she just moves to me and sits down again. I assume I need to give her a verbal command to stand up, but I don't know how to train that.

Also, one of the things we love about her is how quiet she is. Except when she's playing with other dogs, that is. She LOVES chasing, and if a dog won't run from her or play with her she barks at them to get them to play. Over and over and over. It's only when she wants to play and it's only with particular dogs. It doesn't really bother me because I know she's just playing, but I feel like I've become "that person" at the dog park with the dog who won't shut up. Is there any way to train this out? If there isn't, it's no big and I'll just keep doing what I'm doing (separate her from other dogs when she begins barking too much until she calms down.)

On a less training-related note (and a much more stupid one) sometimes she sleeps under our sheets... um, she won't suffocate under there, will she? :ohdear:

Here's the mutt in question. She's about a year old and a small dog, about 14lbs. The humane society called her a spaniel/terrier mix, but she runs just like my old greyhound, is very leggy and she has a similar body shape (deep chest, tucked up tummy) so I think she may have some sight hound in her. I like to imagine she's a miniature Saluki. :downs: When I get some, I'll post better pictures of her body and furry tail in the mutt thread.

Edit: My dad is all "rawr alpha dog! don't let her sleep with you or she'll think she's alpha! roll her on her back to assert your dominance! CESAR MILLAN IS GOD!" :byodood: He's not really THAT bad, but he has two labs that could be much better behaved. What's the best way to approach talking to him about the problems with his training method? I want to be tactful and I don't think I've ever contradicted something my father has said. I also don't want to come across all "your dogs are maniacs and you're doing it all wrong." Any advice?

snail goat fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

So, I'm going to be house/dog sitting for my dad for a couple weeks and I'd like to do some clicker training with his two labs. They're pretty crazy and kinda-sorta trained, but have never met a clicker before. I'd pretty much just like to get them to stay the hell off of me when they're excited, so some sit, stay, down, touch is all I'm hoping for. They know sit and stay a little... when they want to. I plan on giving them their dinner at least partially as rewards for training.

What I wanted to know is what I should keep in mind while training two dogs. Should I separate them to focus on one at a time? Are insane, energetic labs who are very food motivated harder or easier to train than my 14lb mutt who hates any treat that isn't the best poo poo from the fancy dog store? Is it too much to ask to get sit/down/stay/touch out of them in two weeks? What about 'leave it'? That would be a handy one, but I don't know if I can get that much out of them.

While not recently, I have done clicker training before with my doggie, so I'm not worried about that (learning the mechanics of it) too much. Kikopup will always be there to help me :)

A preemptive thanks for any advice :)

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

MrFurious posted:

I'd try to train one dog at a time. Food motivated dogs are going to be easy for you, because they'll work hard for those treats once they understand the game. Leave It should be fairly easy too -- just keep in mind that the big rule to leave it is they never get the treat they're leaving. Ever. Start with the treat in a closed fist - as soon as they stop man handling you, click and treat from the other hand. It usually only takes 3-4 repetitions of that before they start to get the picture, and you can roll from there.
Cool, thanks for the advice.

I've got one more (maybe dumb) question- I have two clickers which make pretty different sounds. Would it be a good idea to use one for each of the dogs so I can reward one while the other is in the room? Or should I just keep it simple and use the same clicker for both of them?

Edit: nvm, did my own research and it looks like I should just stick with one :)

snail goat fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 19, 2012

• Locked thread