Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

This is Bella. She is a ridiculous Great Dane.

With mucky weather afoot, I'd like to train Bella to sit on the carpet near the door so I can quickly wipe her feet. She's okay with it if I am in front of her and tell her to sit, but sometimes she gets way too excited to bust into the house and bolts upstairs before I can stop her.

She's very food motivated and I have treats by the door, but as I said, I want to get her used to stopping and sitting every time. I tried giving her a treat each time she sat and slowly tapering off, but that didn't work.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

MrFurious posted:

Need some more information here. I may be a while in responding further but I'm sure A Life Less will be along shortly to help too. Describe your attempt to train this in as much detail as possible. What treat did you use, how valuable is it to her, how long did you attempt to train this, and how did you go about "tapering off?"

The treat isn't very high value, your basic dry doggie treat, but there is a fridge nearby so I can definitely put something a little higher value into the equation.

For a week and a half, I would give her the treat each time she came into the house, say, three times a day. After that time, I would give her a treat two out of three times, replacing the treat with praise, but treating the other two times. I'd stay in that pattering - varying which time she got verbal praise - for another week and a half.

By the time I got to one treat vs. two praises, she would just bolt past me and I'd start again.

Usually she's bolting upstairs to drink/check her food dish to see if anyone was feeling particularly generous or up to her bed.

You've been a tremendous help already, thank you.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Update on Bella: Today she came in from outside and sat down before I even gave the command:neckbeard:

:ssh: She got two treats.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Bella has been excellent about sitting at the door now. About our only issue now is when I take her to the groomer's. I usually go to Petsmart. She'll walk into the store but flat out refuse to go into the grooming section. Unfortunately for me, the salon is right by the exit. She'll walk through the store okay and usually I can coax her in after about fifteen minutes of walking around. Eventually she'll go in, but there are times where she will just sit and refuse to move.

The staff there are really wonderful and I'm sure they've seen more... reluctant dogs in the past, but I'd really like to work on this with her. I'm starting to take her into the store without going to the salon, so she doesn't associate the store only with the unrelenting horror of getting groomed.

She won't take treats from the staff, but she will from me. My goal here is basically to lower her stress level so that going into Petsmart isn't the most horrific thing in the history of the world.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

a life less posted:

^^ I agree. It's often either people rescued the cute puppy from the horrible pet store for $1500, or people feel shamed when they do anything else other than adopt/rescue.

It's a shame that some people are so militant. There are perfectly valid reasons to get dogs from breeders. Yeah, it's great to be able to rescue a dog, but it's not for everyone.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Wanted to say thanks to the thread. Used to have an issue with Bella bounding up the stairs after being outside. Now she hangs out on the carpet near the door, waiting for her treat and/or massive petting session.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
More pictures might be required. You know, to better gauge effective training techniques.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I'm going to get a trainer to work with Tracker. She pulls on the leash, but she's getting the concept of "easy" down. Once the initial puppy excitedness wears off, she's okay on the leash.

But holy poo poo other dogs. She is insanely excited to play with other dogs and she'll flip her poo poo running over to them. I've tried walking with treats, but the other dog gets 100% of her focus. I don't mind taking her to the dog park, but she's not spayed yet, so that's a no go. In the meantime, I've got to figure out a solution that's not "Hope there are no other dogs on our path."

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Thanks!

Seems like I was on the right track, but I need better rewards and was a little over expectant.

The other thing I was wondering is if I should tire her out before trying the training, let her get a big run in and then follow up with the walking. I'm not sure if that would be too much, or help make focusing easier.

Writer Cath fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Tracker gets extremely excited to see any other living creature - she's just super loving happy, so I've been working on making her sit and calm down, and I tell people "she's excitable, but we're working on it" and the reaction invariably is:

:derp: OHMYGODHIDOGGIECOMERE!

The goofus in question.

• Locked thread