Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat
Hey, so I have kind of a specific question. I've got a beagle (Ike) that counter surfs. Really bad. We took him to training classes at Petsmart (they were actually really good, trained us with clickers and everything) and we eventually taught him "off" for when he puts his paws up on/near a counter, and it works just fine in those circumstances. Our counters and one table we eat at are high enough that he can barely get his nose over the edge, so we've also learned not to put any food too near the edge of the counter.

The problem I'm having though, is mainly when I take him to my parent's house, which has lower counters and tables, low enough that Ike can grab quite a lot of stuff. The house is pretty big too, so I can't be around Ike 24/7 to tell him "off" if he jumps up. Without the "off" command he jumps up and eats everything in sight. My parents don't keep food far away from the edge, and as such, Ike got a hold of some brownies over the holidays. I got pissed at my parents for leaving chocolate on the edge of a table, when they knew Ike will eat stuff, and my parents got pissed off at me because "I need to train my drat dog".

Pretty much, the training that works at my house doesn't work at all over there. I need to figure out a way to keep him from jumping up to begin with. Correcting the behavior when it happens will make him go down, but it won't prevent him from jumping up again 5 min later unless I tell him "off" again. I don't want to have to follow my dog around everywhere when my parents throw a house party, telling him "off" every other minute. How can I get him to just NOT JUMP UP ON COUNTERS/TABLES EVER AGAIN? It's frustrating, cuz he's a beagle, and he'll eat everything in sight if he can. And I figured it'd be easier to train my dog than my parents who refuse to learn to keep food out of Ike's reach. Plus I hate yelling at my dad who thinks the best way to keep Ike down is to hit him on the head if he jumps up. (Then my mom gives me a guilt trip when I tell her I won't bring my dog over anymore because she loves my drat dog too much.)

So to do a tl:dr, How can I train my hugely food motivated beagle to never jump up on counters with tons of delicious food on them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat

a life less posted:

Unfortunately there's not much you can do to effectively curb this behaviour. Once your dog has ascertained that the counter is more rewarding than abiding by the rules this becomes a very difficult habit to break.

Your number one goal should be management. Get your folks to keep the food off the counters. Your parents can't realistically expect a dog to ignore readily available food when he's successfully eaten it in the past. There is some debate over how conscious dogs are of "bad" behaviour, but he definitely understands that the reinforcer is available on top of the counter and the punishment is not present. Obviously retroactively reprimanding your dog will have zero effect.

Another management goal is to not allow your dog to wander unsupervised. You can tether him to you, or set up some gates or closed doors that keep him separate from the temptation.

Then, to help put your parents at ease work on a really solid "leave it" command. Realistically you should be able to get your dog to the point where you can tell him to leave food alone for a minute while you're in the other room. Any longer and you're probably asking too much of a food lovin' beagle.

Finally, the last management technique I'll suggest is allowing your dog to gorge before you arrive at your parent's house. It sounds kind of silly, but dogs stomachs are designed to hold massive amounts of food. When we portion out kibble into small meals a few times a day, dogs' stomachs (apparently) never really stretch out and they don't get that full feeling. It results in a lot of food seeking behaviours. You can't healthily let a dog gorge on kibble, but you can let him gorge on raw meat. A lot of raw feeders use the binge/fast style of feeding. I read this on a raw feeding forum a while back and I haven't personally put this to the test. It just seems like it could help, assuming your dog is accustomed to the protein source. (If not... diarrhea.)

Thank you so much for this! I emailed my parents about what you said, and I think it will help. My parents have a beagle they bought from a pet store and so she doesn't really have a beagly...temperament I guess? It's the laziest dog I've ever seen (plus she's overweight, which I feel contributes to it, but I got my parents to switch to TotW, and she's lost weight, and can jump again! Which my parents are super excited for.) So they feel that every dog should be like their dog (Only dog they've ever owned), and when my dog jumps up on counters, and their dog doesn't, they think it's a problem with how I train my dog, and not a difference in personalities.

When I adopted Ike, they said they found him on the streets, so he was already used to foraging for food in garbage cans ect. It really shows because he won't really eat stuff he isn't supposed to if people are around, he only does it when you aren't looking. He doesn't beg for food at all (whereas my parent's beagle does cuz my mom keeps feeding her scraps), he just sneaks it when no one is around which is hard to control.

I locked Ike in the spare bedroom during the party, but my mom let him out, ("He looked sad and was whining!") so I think I might keep that approach, and give him bones/kongs to occupy him, and train my parents to not spoil/reprimand my dog.

I guess it really is more of a training the parents than training the dog situation. :rolleyes: Thanks for all your help though, I've got Ike to leave food alone when I'm not in the room for about 10 sec so far!

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat
Just FYI, for anyone who missed the webinar or had choppy signals or whatever, I just got an email from the web team -

quote:

Ok it was a disaster...But we'll make it up to you!

Of all the crazy stuff, lightning forced a sudden change in venue for the broadcast. The upload speed of the secondary broadcast location was too weak. And we did have an overwhelming number of attendees. It was a perfect storm. That was frustrating for all of us.

We tried something new and it didn't work but will we be stopped? NO! We regroup and try again!

First thing is we will be getting you access to the recording in the next 24 hours. So keep an eye on your email.

If you did make it through the webinar, there are links on the webinar page to the "puppypeaks" program that Susan mentioned. Her offer to founding members still stands if you want to grab it now. Here is a direct link to Join "PuppyPeaks"

Any technical questions, you can email Jason@webmanna.com

Email program questions to info@clickerdogs.com

For now, go ahead and check out "puppypeaks" and stay tuned for further updates about webinar recording access. I would not suggest trying to jump on to the 8:30 webinar.

Say Yes Team

So, there'll probably be the whole video up and about floating around the internet sometime soon!

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat
I've skimmed this thread, but haven't seen anything about what I'm looking for in particular. My 6mo pup is learning loose leash walking really quickly and effectively, I'm afraid I might be messing her up though. Currently we start out, she is at my side, watching me. Originally, I clicked and treated every time she was next to me, regardless of the rest of her body language, but now I've started clicking and treating when she actually looks forward while still at my side, rather than looking up at me, just because I assumed that's more comfortable for her and what I eventually want her to do while out on a walk. Is this okay, or should I always want her looking at me when I click and treat? She also does a series of actions, where she is at my side, I click/treat, she runs forward slightly, realizes she isn't getting treats, so she slows down and looks back at me until she is at my side again, at which, I click/treat. Is this a natural progression in loose leash walking, or am I somehow training her to do these series of actions? I've been rapidly clicking/treating whenever she takes a kibble and then doesn't run forward, but stays at my side.

Also, I've been training her to sit every time we stop on a walk, which is usually either at a cross street, or when a person/bike or dog passes by. When a person/dog walks by, I tell her to look at me when she sits, click/treat, and if she looks at person/dog while still sitting without any other reaction, I click/treat her again and again until the distraction passes. Is this the best way to train my dog with encountering/reacting to distractions? I'm really paranoid about her developing any reactivity since my other dog is leash reactive. She has one dog behind a fence on our walk that makes her bark with her hackles raised, but otherwise she just wants to jump on everyone to play (puppy :rolleyes: ).

My biggest question though, is her meeting other dogs on walks. Obviously, I want to socialize her tons (decrease reactivity!!!!!), but I'm not sure how to approach the whole meeting other dogs on leash thing. I have her sit, look at me, click/treat, I ask the dog walker/owner if dog is friendly, and if my puppy could me their dog? If I get a yes, I let her out of the sit, and then she runs up and jumps all over the other dogs. But at this point, I have no idea on how to proceed. She's always over excited and won't listen to me, and I usually have to physically pull her away from the other dog. I don't feel comfortable stuffing treats in front of her face to distract her (other dog might be food aggressive,react badly to food being brought forward). How can I tell/show her that yes, meet the dog for 30sec/min, that's okay, but now we've gotta go?

Completely unrelated, she has some food guarding issues, but only with kibble, and only with Ike, our other dog. No issues with toys/treats/humans. So, I've been hand feeding both of them kibble while next to each other, and I've been feeding Ike first (he has no food/resource issues at all), and when she just looks and doesn't lunge to get the kibble, I feed her right after. Is this okay? How is the best way to deal with this, while fairly minor resource guarding, I don't want it to develop into something worse.

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat
Hey all, I originally asked about trainer suggestions in the dog sports thread (thinking about trying out rally-o) but I decided to go a different route and just try to get our training as advanced as possible. I still haven't gotten a CGC title on Faye so I think I'm gonna start with that. How does this person look for a trainer? http://www.rockymountaindogtraining.com/

She's the only one near me that mentioned positive training. Does she look like a potential good fit?

• Locked thread