Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

a life less posted:

So, because I had nothing better to do this afternoon I put together this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE9FzkGouA8

This video is perfect because it really does show you how magical the clicker is. Seriously it's like voodoo mind control only it's pure science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

a life less posted:

classical conditioning

Just be careful you don't train her for 'I hear sound, I bark, I get treat.'
This is why most people try the operant conditioning approach in this situation, waiting for even the smallest pause in barking to begin the reward.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

a life less posted:

Everyone with a barky/reactive dog should watch this video. It's one of the simplest and best examples of counterconditioning that you can find.

Counterconditioning a dog to blowing on its face, Dr Yin

Wow. This is great, and it also completely rebuts my previous statement. This thread rules.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

The clicker is like voodoo magic, don't knock it till you've tried it.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Flesh Forge posted:

So, after three days of noob clicker training (for both me and the dog) Darla is now pretty familiar with:
- The clicker itself
- Her name
- Stand (on her hind legs)
- Sit
- Come
- Stay
- Lay Down
- Roll Over
- Speak
- Quiet
- Spin (clockwise)

Sometimes I hate how loving fast dogs learn this stuff. Roll over took a couple of weeks for Trophy to learn well.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Reminder that your 'lure' can be anything. I took the sponge off an old aquarium scraper and just use that

http://source-www.petco.com/Assets/product_images/1/1083812040B.jpg

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

a life less posted:

Yes, this behaviour seems almost totally pointless, but it's pretty fun and a nifty party trick.

This is the only reason to train an animal.

Please explain exactly how you got to step one.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

I have archives, this is your post from that thread:

MrFurious posted:

No one has really answered your question with any depth, so I expect you to ignore all of their posts, which is unfortunate. They also could have been a little more grown up about it too.

The short version is that you need to view your dog as a toddler. Every time she performs a behavior, the result is the same. It's a very basic cause and effect relationship. She whines, you eventually let her out, you put her back in, she whines again, and then you give her some (negative) attention. It's a routine at this point. You can break this cycle by just ignoring the whining altogether, but you should expect the behavior to get worse and worse until it finally disappears. Immediately before that it will reach a peak, which is referred to as an "extinction burst."

The posters above are right to give you a hard time, as you're demonstrating some fundamental misconceptions about animal behavior, which are both common and, unfortunately, very widespread.

I would strongly recommend that you read up a little bit on Operant Conditioning. If you manage to stop by Barnes & Noble, look for this book: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Positive-Dog-Training/dp/0470241845

Flip to Chapter 2 and read through it. You can skip the beginning which has a sappy story about Patricia Miller and her dog. The rest of the chapter explains in very clear, bold text why the things you are doing are, at best, a short term solution to bad behavior, and have some very serious risks to damaging your relationship with your dog.

Chapter 2 is ten pages long. Please spend 10 minutes standing in the store reading this, because it is a minor investment of time and this information is critically important. You can also Google a lot of this information, but I have not seen it put together in such a concise and direct format.

Thank you for using Gar's archive retrieval service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Culex posted:

Sorry if this has popped up before, this thread is pretty drat huge and I don't come into PI ever, really.

I've been running dogs (and cats, parrots, a few rodents, but mostly dogs) for over 10 years, reading up on the latest technologies in say, control-collars, the latest plain science like dog sense of unfairness, general dog anatomy; I've also spent a lot of time working with friends', family members', and friends of family's dogs that have bad behaviors. I don't do obedience training, I just help the owners learn how they miscommunicate to the dog what they want. I've worked with an extremely violent dachshund who was abused all throughout puppyhood to turn her into a super-loving, you-can-touch-her-anywhere dog (she was one of my dogs). Right now I'm working with an aggravated-by-lawnmower bite case with my fiance; he got bit while mowing and now I'm working her through her phobias of lawnmowers and vacuums while touching up a few other issues, with a total stranger.

I want to take this into a business. I can't afford to join say, Bark Busters, but I would like to have certification into ethology/dog behavior. Are there any ways to get these certifications done without moving to another state (I'm in Utah), that are still considered "good enough"? I hear of very few certification places overall for NON-obedience work; I don't want to do any veterinary work. Any ideas?

Your average Joe doesn't know/care about what certifications are out there, they're looking for a person who can make their dog behave. Advertise what you do, and the people who are looking for that should find it, right? Also, judging by this post I would hire someone else to write copy for you.

• Locked thread