Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MissConduct
Jun 20, 2008

Hardships are like training with lead weights...
When they come off, you go flying down the road!
Wonderful, informative thread! Thanks, OP!

I have a Beagle mix who likes to get right in our faces. We can all be sitting on the couch or bed and she'll be laying there while we are reading quietly or watching TV and then she'll (seemingly) randomly get up and get nose to nose.
I was told that to break that behavior you don't stop what you are doing - you just shove the dog away ignoring the behavior.
We've been doing this consistently for over a year but she still does it. Am I doing it wrong? Is there a way to redirect this?

Also regarding thunderstorms - when we are home and it's raining, we'll let her be next to us, give her treats, play with her etc. So while we are home, she's not as fearful of thunder as she used to be.
However, when we are not home, she is crated.
If she's in her crate and it rains, she'll poop and pee in her kennel - even with toys and treats provided. She doesn't tear up the bedding or try to chew the cage up.
Is there anyway to stop or change this behavior?

*EDIT*
She is normally comfortable in her crate. She considers it her safe place!

Our other two dogs don't give a hoot about storms so I don't think she's feeding off their anxiety if we aren't home.

Also, how feasible is it to teach an older dog new tricks?
A friend of mine adopted a 9 year old dog who is housebroken and knows sit and stay - but that's about it.
The dog is terrible on a leash and she'd like to teach her to be a little calmer on the leash and other basic obedience.

MissConduct fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissConduct
Jun 20, 2008

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Ignoring attention seeking behavior takes a really really long time to work because even some really minor things, like just looking at them, can be reinforcing. What my behaviorist is having me do with my dogs super obnoxious attention seeking is to get up and do something, then have the dog sit/down/whatever, and give him attention for that. Here's the actual text from my evaluation summary.

Thunder anxiety can be really hard to deal with, especially if you aren't there. I would invest in a DAP plugin and put it on when you know its going to storm and you aren't going to be around. I would also keep up working on counterconditioning. Here's Patricia McConnell's thunder phobia page, its really thorough.

Finally, dogs can learn at any age! Tell your friend good job for adopting an older dog too!

Thanks very much, Jellyfish!
It's taken over a year to get her from going to shivering OhmyGodthatloudnoiseisgoingtogetme to Loud noise = extra playtime so I can kinda ignore it. I'll probably wind up getting that DAP Plugin.
Have you had success with that?

Thanks for providing extra bits of info regarding the ignoring behavior. I'll have to make sure she isn't taking any cues from us.

I've started impulse control training one of my other dogs.
Does that sort of training curb begging or trying to snatch food from the table? Even if it doesn't, I want her to learn it.

MissConduct
Jun 20, 2008

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I have a DAP collar for my dog because he needs it on the go and not in a specific room but I have definitely seen improvement in his general anxiety level and the DAP diffuser is supposed to work better than the collars. I've also used the Through a Dog's Ear cd mentioned on Patricia McConnell's page and had success with that. It seems like a bunch of BS but I put it on and my dog is out cold. I had to get the one specifically for the car because the regular one has been known to make people fall asleep when its on. My behaviorist has had clients fall asleep during interviews when she has it on in the background.

Impulse control exercises are always a good idea! They may not curb those behaviors but they can lay a foundation so that you can. Here's a good video that goes over how to stop counter surfing.

Thanks again! Sadie is the counter surfing dog that we found as an adult stray a few months ago. I'm fairly sure her behavior comes from having to forage in the trash.
My other two dogs know not to mess with food but we've had them from puppies.

I've been doing the impulse control exercises with Sadie today and she's catching on pretty fast.
I'm very impressed. She's also caught onto COME which I do by "loading a sound" as demonstrated here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1Q9SVFOWu4&feature=related

MissConduct
Jun 20, 2008

Thought I'd let you guys know that I got a copy of "Through A Dog's Ear" just in time for the latest thunder storm.

We did the usual walking/feeding/playing routine. Before my husband and I left, we loaded the crate with treats and left the CD playing.
When I got home, Majel was wagging her tail and not cowering in a pile of poo poo. No mess in the kennel!
Looks like I found my solution! :woop:

And another question - Majel is learning "sit" but I'm having a hard time teaching her "stay."
She'll focus on the pocket where the treats are stored and as soon as I walk two or three steps back her butt pops up and she comes running.
When I tell her to stay her big floppy ears move up and she sits again and I step away and it's the same process.

I space the training sessions out into three 15 minutes periods a day (yes, I use a clicker) and I've been going through "stay" for about a week now with little progress. The sessions take place in the living room with no other animals or people around to minimize distractions.

I'm annoyed because Sadie and Tara have learned to stay in less than a week. Is there a magical secret to getting a stubborn Beagle to stay or is it all practice?

• Locked thread