Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Not really a training question, but more I figured I would ask here since it involves clickers and such. I'm looking for good free shaping clicker games to play with Maverick. Right now we've mostly been mostly playing with boxes like put a foot in the box, put your head in the box, carry the box, ect. ,but I would really like ideas on shaping smaller behaviors like this to get her more comfortable with the idea that messing up is okay. She doesn't really shut down ,but if she isn't reinforced often enough (even when not offering a good behavior) she looses interest and walks away.

I'm really not as dedicated as I would like to be to teaching tricks between work and school I'm lucky to get 3 sessions in a week, so I'm really not looking for anything that I have to build on, just quick activities that can help build her confidence level around new objects and encourage her to "mess up" a bit. I find that when I do try teaching her a newer trick she gets frustrated very easily and begins resorting to older behaviors sits and downs and watch me's and when I say nope, try again too many times she gives up and walks away. The box games are really helping her stay motivated a bit longer, but I can't think of anything else to do with a box!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

a life less posted:

"No, I'm meant to stand on it. You seem to be confused. Here, let me stand on it again to show you."

I get this a lot with the box too, as the first box game we played I got her to pick it up so now she bites the box for like the first couple of seconds, "Clearly, you're not getting this, I am biting the box and I deserve something!" I definitely do intersperse pets and toys into our training, as my dog eats only to stay alive, but cheese, chicken, hot dog, beef liver and dried lamb liver seem to be acceptable training rewards, so I usually mix a few of each in the treat bag to keep her interested. But I will definitely check out that website, I really like free shaping as I feel it really gives her the best brain stimulation in the shortest period of time, and I'm hoping over time it will help build her confidence around new things. She has certainly come an amazingly long way from being terrified to go inside the first day we got her, but her first response around anything new is still panic and run, so I'm hoping more free shaping will help her learn that new things aren't scary and that approaching and interacting with them = awesome stuff.

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008

Okay, so I'm coming in hopes that someone here will be able to help me deal with an extremely frustrating problem in my household. Maverick is a jumper, but not on people, she jumps on doors specifically the backdoor when she's ready to come in from her potty break. She has never been a big barker, but I'm really not sure how to address this behavior.

Things I've tried: ignoring both within sight and by just not showing up if we just don't go get the door she will continually throw herself against the door with increasing regularity. The other way I've tried is walking up to the door and when she jumps I turn my back and then she will sit nicely so I let her in, but I still don't know how to teach her that I don't want her to jump on the door at all. Even if were outside together playing when she heads towards the patio she jumps on the door to go inside. It's a glass door and while she hasn't broken it yet, I'm concerned that she might.

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008

Couple of questions I know have been asked before, but I would love some feedback. Maverick (4 y/o GSD) has always been a very fearful/unconfident dog, from what we know she was more or less crated the entire first year or so of her life, and since coming to our house has made amazing strides, but recently we had a few setbacks. We moved (about 3 weeks ago) and ever since then Maverick had regressed seriously in her crate/separation anxiety training.
When we first got her she would pretty much pee/poop/vomit any time we left the house for any amount over a few moments we spent a long time working through that and up until this move she was fine (we have moved once before with her), but now she is getting much worse. This is a list of the things I know are probably going to set her off:
-Me leaving for work when I am the only person home.
-Anything out of the ordinary happening right before she needs to be crated (my mom came over before she was crated, received a package and answered the door before she was crated each time after crating she either pooped or tried to escape the crate)
- Coming home and letting her out of her crate for walks/potty break and then putting her back in within the hour ( example: Boyfriend leaves at noon puts dog in crate I come home at 1 let dog walk dog for about 20 min then leave for work at 2 then she gets let out again at 9 but has either had an accident or destroyed something.)

Things I am doing to help:
-Pheromone Diffuser (couldn’t find any good studies on these but got one cheap and decided to try it)
-Regressing 100% with anxiety training by relearning what a nice thing the kennel is, problem here is anytime she thinks I am leave she instantly goes way over threshold and becomes a whining not food interested dog.
-Working with a friend of a friend with a Masters in Animal Behavior

My questions are the following: Is there anything I can do to help my dog learn that independence is AWESOME! I feel like she may be too attached to me and that is making the issue worse. I know that having a bond with your dog is awesome and we have a great working relationship ,but I want to be able to have someone else hold her leash and have me walk away without her having a panic attack and I’m not sure how to work on this. My second question is about my behaviorist conflicting with my vet the vet says to leave her alone for a month or so and see if she gets better and if not then put her on anxiety meds, the behaviorists is suggesting that I put her on some now to help chill out, as since the move she has escalated past peeing/pooping to bend the cage destroying beds, crate pans, and tearing up her nose trying to escape, but I’m not really sure what the best plan of action would be. Help me!

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008

Kiri koli posted:

Info

My biggest frustration with Maverick is that she is a very smart obedient dog, we do clicker training and we do a lot of free shaping to encourage her to try new things but all of that is done with me so I don't know how to bridge the gap between "Yay!Things with mom," and "Oh god mom is gone and dead and my life is clearly over."

I'm really looking for exercises that I can do with Maverick to make her more comfortable with the unexpected. She is much more likely to react calmly when everything goes 100% to our schedule, but on days where something happens out of the ordinary she goes straight from happy well behaved dog to stressed,with the behaviorist friend she told me that for normal clients she always defers to vet opinion but she said as a friend that she would suggest something different.

I have a lot of experience around dogs, I've been fostering dogs with my parents since high school and on my own since then all in all probably lived with 10-20 different dogs and I've just never experienced this level of attachment.I just feel that at this point it's unhealthy for her to be so attached to me that she is incapable of functioning without me. Even when shes home alone with my boyfriend who does walk and feed her occasionally she doesn't show this level of attachment. Anytime shes in a room with me and can't get to within a few feet of me she whines and yips for a few until shes convinced I am unreachable and lays down as close tp me as possible. I'm a fairly experienced PI-er,so we've always practiced NILF with her and I rarely give her attention when shes panicking (except when she works herself into a frenzy but even then its a simple Quiet and then I go back to what I was doing). I would just like to have her be able to function without me being there. For example, if I am in the front yard and she is in the back yard (chain link fence separating) she will spin, jump, and yip herself into a complete panic until I come back into the backyard.

So any suggestions on independence exercises would be awesome.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008

notsoape posted:

Do you currently go to any training classes with her, or do any social activities? I'm wondering if working with her in a busy class around other people and dogs, channeling her energy into something which is compatible with her drives, might help to make her a little more chill in the house and a little less intense when it comes to her bond with you? I know GSDs like to have jobs: could it be that right now she sees her "job" as being your buddy and protector, and not letting you out of her sight in case Bad Things Happen?

We really just do at home training, but spend at least one day ever other week out out and about. I take her to the self service bath at the pet store and walk around and get treats and stuff some weeks we go more often like to a dog park or something( in addition to daily walks with a back pack). But I will certainly look into getting her in some kind of training class, do you think a more serious class like agility (something only I would take her to alone) or something like a petsmarts obedience class that my boyfriend could take her alone or with me?

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008

Already started scouting out some classes in our area that start towards the end of the month, so that maybe an option for us, in the meantime I'm going to start focusing heavily on distance work. Maybe I could get some feed back on this though, she has a really solid stay but could use some work on duration out of sight stays, I admittedly get frustrated with those as she cheats as soon as I get out of sight and moves but then she hears me come back she runs back to the spot like what?

I really appreciate all the suggestions! . So far were on day two of the DAP diffuser and day one was utter failure bed destroyed and pushed out of crate and crate pan chewed bars seriously bent in nose scratched up ( this was also the day my mom came over) , day two spent one hour in crate with just towels no bed or crate pan (as it was eaten) and nothing destroyed or pooped on! Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008

Just wanted to give everyone an update; this is the second week of medicating Maverick and I think we're making some progress. She's capable of being in a room without me without have a panic attack and hasn't destroyed her cage or hurt herself in about 5 days, I know it takes a while to work, but I relaly believe that we're already seeing some improvement.

I also went to an event with the local agility club and it looks like a good fit no one was perfect but everyone had a great time. So, I emailed the training direct, but the January class is already full so I'm just on the waiting list.

• Locked thread