Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008
Not sure if this belongs in the general dog thread or this one but my gf and I adopted a Chihuahua mix from the shelter about 2 months ago. For the most part, he's a pretty good dog. We've taught him basic obedience and he listens fairly well and his overall behavior is improving except for one thing.

In the morning when we wake up he gets super excited and starts jumping up and biting our shirts and nipping at our slippers. We've tried ignoring the behavior and giving him attention once he stops. We've tried pre-emptively giving him treats or a loved toy before his feet leave the ground but he'll still nip at our slippers. We've tried issuing commands like sit which he does sit but once we start moving he'll resume the behavior. I guess maybe stay would work better.

I feel like his behavior hasn't improved at all no matter what we do. Nothing really seems to calm him down except time. I'm not sure if we are missing something or just need to be more consistent with one method or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008
Ohh hmm that makes sense. Gonna have to try that tomorrow. That would be better than him jumping like crazy on people. Gonna try to hit him with the attention before he does any of thw attention grabbers

ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

I hope it works! My amateur theory as to why it works when the other behavioral corrections doesn't, is because the pupper is just so happy to see us in the morning that they literally cannot contain themselves.

Hmm this work a little bit but once we stop giving him attention he jumps less but is still very excited. We'll keep working at it though, definitely a bit of improvement.

• Locked thread