Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dremels have gone from 'yay! friend that takes our nails away! VRR VRR VRR!' to 'OH MY GOD I NEED TO poo poo MYSELF LITERALLY AND SCREAM IN TERROR WHEN YOU DREMEL MY NAILS' in two weeks' time. I have no idea why. It doesn't sound any different, it isn't a different dremel, it isn't a different sanding barrel, it isn't a different setting or a different room we do it in, noone's got any paw pain or anything like that.

What in the gently caress. I pulled it out after the "OH MY GOD NO NO NO" and they ALL ran and hid. Anyone wanna take a guess what the gently caress? I've been using this thing forever. Balen's had his nails dremeled since he was a pup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

a life less posted:

Your dogs have definitely fed off each other's discomfort with the dremel. Dogs, being dumb, will feed off each other's insecurities until they're all exhausted and shaking on the floor.

I would probably go back to basic desensitization, but only with one dog at a time. Go into a room with a door and start from square one. My guess is that you shouldn't have too much trouble getting your dogs used to it again.

What about clipping their nails? I'm not a fan of dremels myself since I feel like they take a while and are kind of noisy. I imagine you're probably worried about nicking the quick, so avoiding 'em is understandable.

Less that, more I can't seem to find one that holds up to nails that are great dane thick. I mean, Balen's are drat near the thickness of a mechanical pencil. Kaydee I could clip, sure. But Amy and Balen are incredibly difficult to clip.

Back to square one, I guess. Grab someone, put'em in the bedroom, so many goddamned treats. Sigh. Thanks dude.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

So the dog training classes I'm considering going to have suddenly added the term "leadership" to their curriculum. I'm wary that they've gone all crazy gung ho dominance theory on me, so I tossed them an email, but can anyone else come up with an explanation for "leadership" other than that?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hug him with your partner. Make it a doggie sandwich hug. (but really yeah, just make him fat with treats and maybe his dogmania will go away)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Just take your pup out on a leash while the snow takes it's sweet time melting (August, if the weather keeps up, for a good part of the country) and throw in some extra walks or see if there's a dog park in the new area where running's safe. Invisible fences are pretty lovely too for multiple reasons. Letting your dog run around loose unsupervised at all is a really bad idea, but with the road right there like that? Yeah, don't do that. And forget the idea of a shock collar altogether. The dog's probably got great recall if you've been training for hunting, but that close to a road I wouldn't trust it. v:shobon:v Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Oxford Comma posted:

Thanks for the words of advice, guys.

Take the dog back yesterday. The dog is fine but it's not the right dog for you. If that dog is an akbash, I need hoof picks for my dogs.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

Applying dominance theory to a poorly bred shelter pit is really, really dangerous and it would really help if you could come back to your thread and lay out a very clear picture of all of her behavior, how she reacts in certain situations, and what training styles and approaches you're planning on applying to her so that we can help you come up with a concrete gameplan. You have a kid and a cat and this kind of dog is not something you want to screw up with.

I want to see him tsst that dog until it eats his face. That is my helpful post. It is the most helpful post. He's already screwed up by adopting a dog he's poo poo prepared for and it's going to be oxford comma or maremma levels of fun.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

hatty posted:

My puppy is seven months old now and hasn't eliminated inside for over two of those months. Since its been so long I decided to expand the area she can go while supervised to to up stairs sitting room. I taught her to carefully use the stairs and I moved the gate to the upstairs hallway. When she got upstairs for the first time she immediately pooped. How do I make her know the same rules apply upstairs as they do downstairs?

poo poo happens, deal with it.

(seriously though tether her to you while you're upstairs and you'll see her going !!!! I have to poo poo!!!! or I have to pee!!!! sniffing and then you can run her outside and pet her and oh my good lord GOOD DOG screaming just like you did for downstairs. She'll get it.)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Within 3 minutes 3 pi posters posted the same thing about A Man And His Dog Question.

hatty posted:

Thanks, it's kinda obvious what to do now that it was spelled out for me. Got to get timer out again I guess

Eh it doesn't have to be exact timing. Just you know, if you do need an alarm by all means.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pinball posted:

Has anyone here ever trained a dog to be a therapy dog? I'm going to be a special education teacher, and I'd like to eventually get and train a dog so I can bring it to school with me for my students to read to and to make testing less stressful. I've looked up some information, but it seems like the process varies a lot nationwide. Are there breeds that are best suited for being therapy dogs?

It's more the dog than the breed, though there are some breeds that are more prevelant just because you're going to see more of that particular breed that are laid back and happy to loaf all day. Look for a friendly, biddable dog that wants to please and you've already won half the battle. Doesn't matter if it's purebred or a mutt.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

thatbastardken posted:

just get a gun.

and shoot yourself, you loving pussy.

So how do you get married to someone in australia because hi

Its Miller Time posted:

I'm going to xpost this once or twice, hopefully that's okay.

My fiancee and I are buying a home in a very nice neighborhood, but one that is in relative proximity to some higher crime areas. We have long wanted to get another dog that is focused on home and self protection. I travel a decent amount and my fiancee is often out jogging or home alone for several nights in a row. She has always had an affinity for European Dobermans. We have a fairly expansive budget, we'd be willing to spend between $5-20K. We're on the west coast, we have homes in Los Angeles and Seattle.

It seems our 2 major options are buying a puppy or buying an older (2-3 year) one that is already completely trained. One website I looked at, protectiondogsales.com, wants $3-4K for the puppy and another $2K a month for training with a minimum of 6 months training, which adds up to $15K+ very quickly. They also have fully trained adult dogs that are 2-4 years old that can cost anywhere from $13-30K.

We have no interest in competing in Schutzhund, nor do we need a dog that can detect bombs or is police/military ready. While apparently Dobermans live for a fairly long time (10-13 years), I think I would much prefer getting the dog at an early age and helping shape our relationship with it and it's training that buying a fully trained adult dog that's better suited for competitive Schutzhund or guarding the president.

I don't think we want to personally train the dog, our preference would be for someone else to conduct the majority of the training and then train us on how to take over. After having a relatively poorly trained Golden Retriever it would be nice to be able to issue commands like "sit and stay" and feel comfortable leaving the dog outside of a grocery store for 10 or 20 minutes. Or not roll over on his belly when strangers enter our home.

If you have homes in Los Angeles and Seattle and it sounds like you're fairly upscale and you feel like you need security, consider hiring a security guard. Lots of them can just hang out near the property and watch poo poo rather than standing stock-still at your front door or whatever. Though to be perfectly honest unless you're dealing real estate in the 7 figures you don't need that either.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I encourage you to hug the dog tightly to your chest until you both combust like a supernova of pet love.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Can Pet Island be "Compressurized Pet Love" ?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

wtftastic posted:

why do you keep asking for advice when you straight up don't listen

She prints every post and lovingly tacks them up on the wall. She sings to them nightly. They are her passion, her children. Sometimes one falls and touches the dog. The dog goes mad with rage and tears it apart.

She races forward, gathering the scraps as tears well in her eyes.

"Hush now. Hush child. All will be well. All will b..be.." Her voice quavers. Her vision blurs.

The child speaks words of wisdom no longer.

She comes again to gather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

pookel posted:

For real, I don't think I've seen this much "I'm completely ignoring everything you said and assuming a bunch of facts not in evidence" since the last time I hung out at a breastfeeding forum.

Did you bite your kid when he suckled?

E: I just wanna know if he's had trouble with bitches from the start.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 4, 2016

• Locked thread