Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
Ok, so I was raised in a household of old school training, with some serious R-/P+ methodology. There wasn't too much of the "alpha" crap going on, but my dad had little patience for disobedience.

My concerns are that when I bought Loki, those are the methods I used to train him. (Mostly because it was all I knew, and also because at the time my dad was infallible in his knowledge of dog training. Boy was I wrong :downs:) He learned sit and stay very well, but to this day I have problems with him coming to me and I think it stems from that old style of training. Then I got Thor, and actually haven't done a whole lot of training with him, mostly because I've been lurking PI for about a year now and know that old school idea mostly in't used anymore. Now I'd like to start an R+/P- approach with Thor, and if I can, recondition Loki to it as well. I'm afraid that I've made Loki an incredibly anxious, unhappy dog and it breaks my heart knowing that I'm the cause even though I didn't know any better at the time. I've already bought a clicker, and luckily for me, both dogs are incredibly food motivated. I guess my question would be, how hard would it be to "fix" Loki, and where should I start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009

a life less posted:

You've mentioned a few times how subdued Loki is, so it's possible that he'll never be "fixed".

See this is the thing I'm most worried about. However, he becomes a completely different dog when treats are involved, so I'm really hoping that I can really build his confidence up through food.

Rixatrix posted:

If I were you, I'd reteach things from scratch with +R/-P and see what happens. Start with him like with a puppy: load the clicker and teach an easy behaviour, such as targeting.

I figured I'd have to start over. I've been meaning to switch over for a while now, but this thread has really gotten me motivated :)

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
Hey guys, hopefully this hasn't been beaten to death yet, but I have a quick question about reactivity on walks. My dog Thor positively flips his poo poo when we pass other people/dogs. He is super friendly and just wants to go play, but it's obviously not good for him or for us. So, question: How do I go about teaching him to ignore other walkers/dogs in yards? As soon as I see someone coming do I just stop and cram treats down his throat till they pass? Is there a certain cue I can give him so he knows what we're doing? I imagine I should start it either right before or right after he notices someone coming. Passing dogs in yards might be harder because it's us that has to move, I can' just stop until they've passed. He's otherwise a dream to walk, he's never even pulled. Help!

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
Wow I wasn't expecting such a large debate to originate from me! You guys kind of lost me in all of the acronyms, but honestly I can't afford a trainer atm, so I was hoping to lay some groundwork on my own. As far as the dog goes, it's not like he completely shuts down when he sees someone/thing, and I can redirect him with varying degrees of effort depending on how close we are to whatever set him off. I can start by walking along more quiet areas for now. He's a total food whore, so that's not a concern of mine. I think in my situation food will be the best distractor until I've got some groundwork done. Any suggestions on how to go about it? Any body cues etc I should look for?

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
Will do, thanks! I actually already have it, just never got around to reading through it.

• Locked thread