Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
themindisonfire
Feb 23, 2009
Swanson was having issues doing the "It's Yer Choice" training (guess I'm just not fast enough/he's very sneaky) so we started working in his kennel. I'll sit with a big bowl of food while he's in his kennel and wait for his focus to go off of the food. When he makes eye contact with me, I'll tell him "Good dog" and reward him. If he looks at the food bowl or kibble I just freeze in the position he started looking at the treat until he looks back at me, and then I treat him. It's working pretty well.

Oh, and does anyone have a suggestion on quieter clickers? I've got one from PetCo and it seems like it's so loud my ears ring sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

themindisonfire
Feb 23, 2009
Swanson is STILL submissive/excitement peeing. Sometimes it's completely random, my friend lets him out like every three hours, and he's stopped smacking and yelling at him for doing random things. Tonight he was scuttling around upstairs and I literally lifted his lips to make sure I didn't smell anything that could hurt him on his breath, and he peed right on the stairs. He's a year and a half now and potty trained except for the times when he excitement pees. Anyone have any ideas about this?

Also he's started this thing where he barks or runs through all of his tricks to get the treat. It is extremely annoying, he's getting annoyed and we don't know what to do about it.

themindisonfire fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 19, 2011

themindisonfire
Feb 23, 2009

Fraction posted:

What was or is his body language like when he pees? If he's 'submissive' peeing, you need to take a step back and make every interaction you have with him positive - so he has no reason whatsoever to fear you or your friend. If he's peeing from excitement, you need to find a way to drain some of that energy - doing something like agility or tracking.

He flips over, tummy up. He really shouldn't be scared, no one has yelled at him or punished him for it for a long time. I do have a disappointed tones sometimes though, so maybe he's taking that in the OH poo poo IN TROUBLE PEE! Sometimes he literally has no reason and gets all super submissive for no reason and pees on people's feet. He's weird. He generally only excitement pees when people come home, or he meets new people. I'm going to try to get some boxes from work and teach him amateur nosework though. I think he'll enjoy that, and it will give his little terrier brain a workout.

Fraction posted:

When he runs through the tricks you've taught him, it's because he doesn't understand what you want and he finds that frustrating (hence the barking). Take a few steps back and make sure he 100% knows his cues in a variety of settings, in isolation, before you start asking him to pick out the behaviour you want from the cue you give.
I'm not sure it's that he doesn't know the tricks, it's really more of an impatient sort of bark, like he's literally saying HEY THAT IS MINE GIVE NOW. He's learned speak, and he never used to bark like he does now before he learned that command. Would separating him from the situation or putting away the treat until he calms down help you think? I've also not been using the clicker for him much lately... maybe I'll reinstate it because the omgletmerunthrougheverythinguntiltreat started after it was sort of not being used anymore.

• Locked thread