Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Great thread! Makes me very determined to get Koji's high five down. He's started doing it more in play, we just haven't nailed it down as a command yet, though I always find myself without the clicker during play. I'm thinking I just need to make a new sound I can make as a clicker in case I don't have it on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Kiri koli posted:

I have another training question. Psyche is very good at standing up on her hind legs and balancing (she watched for a squirrel standing up for like 30 seconds the other day, it was soooooo cute). I'd like to figure out how to get her to do that on command, but before I do, I'm wondering if that's bad for her legs. It's an unnatural position and she'll small so I don't want to force her to strain herself. She already does plenty of things where she's liable to hurt herself (like falling up stairs and acting like a mountain goat on our furniture).

I actually taught Koji this trick. He's about the same size as Psyche and I don't make him stand for very long, maybe a few seconds. I call it "Meerkat" since that's what he looks like when he stands that way, but you can call it "up" or "stand" or whatever you want. It was really a simple trick to teach, too. I held up a high value treat just out of reach, and he'd have to stand up on his back legs to get to it. I also didn't let it count if he half-assed it and leaned on something (like me or a chair), and he'd have to do it again. Starting pairing it with the word and he'll do it on command now. Took maybe one or two good sessions before he nailed it, probably because it means good things are coming when he does it.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Cassiope posted:

Thanks guys! I'm going to stick to my guns for at least another week then. It's good to have some backup so that when I'm laying there in the wee hours of the morning hearing her freaking out I don't doubt myself as much.

Hopefully we'll see some improvement in the next few days. I'll try playing some white noise too, that's a good idea. Right now the balance between her comfort level and not getting kicked out of my house is having her out of our room, but not locked in her crate. So far no complaints from the neighbor but it beats me how she doesn't hear all the fussing Moxie does.

Also, I just recently got "I'll Be Home Soon" (thanks to this thread!) to read up on things for Koji, since he's recently developed a mild case of SA since I came back from a short vacation a few months back. Doesn't care when Mr. Pfox leaves, it's all about me going somewhere. :saddowns: But what's helped and what the book helped reinforce is not making a big deal about leaving or coming back. Don't know if you already practice this, but make going to bed and waking up in the morning not a big thing. The book explained coming back all excited and grateful you're back as the dog interpreting it as "Oh GOD you almost DIED! Good thing you came home ALIVE! I'm so happy you're back TOO! Don't ever go out there again, I don't want you to die!" So I come home, let Koji do his happy dance, but I don't pet him or give him attention until he sits nicely for me, and it's really helped. She also goes through some really interesting exercises, like desensitizing the routine of you leaving, how to condition the awesome you only get these when I'm gone treats, etc. I highly recommend it and I was able to pick it up pretty cheap used at B&N.com.

Also, I gotta love LOVE love Crate Games. He tolerates the crate and was never as bad as Moxie, but it's so much fun for him to figure out that I want him to go in the crate all the way, turn around and sit before I give him a treat. He also has started to figure out if he lies down that means EXTRA treats. He won't go in there to chill out by himself yet, but he'll walk in there from time to time to see if he left anything behind, but I always encourage that, especially when we're not specifically playing.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

:siren:Dumb question ahoy!:siren:

Sooo, I've hit a rut with Koji and his tricks. I'm bored and I'm sure he doesn't care about doing the same four tricks over and over but I want to change it up with new things. Any video series or books (with illustrations, I'm that kind of learner) you guys would recommend? I have a few ideas of what I'd want to start teaching, but I want to know where to go from there. Koji picks up on tricks FAST so a good list would be appreciated to keep us going. :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

a life less posted:

At my school's tricks class we teach spin, twist, sit up, wave, crawl, sleep, weave walk, chin down, "gimme 5" and "put 'em up". We focus on those since they're relatively simple to teach, and are a lot of fun to learn. I recommend just googling/youtubing how to train each instead of spending :20bux: on a book. Plus... moving images!

And you want to see a crazy dog trick video? Take a look at this one. It makes me green with envy.

And of course, Jesse is always awesome.

Just pick something that appeals to you! Also, have fun with it. Also also, post videos.

:neckbeard: Man...

I know I'm still in love with this and this though I have an inkling how I can get Koji to bark or talk (it's different!) on command, since I can already do it, I just don't have a command to go with them. Wave is one I wanted to work on, as well as gimmie five, but Koji is so drat sensitive with his paws that the tricks I heard to teaching them don't work (like putting something tasty in your fist and eventually they'll paw at your hand..yeah, Koji just stares at me and huffs. Even at hot dog.) and putting the word to it before he got the command while taking his paw just got it so he took the weight off his paw for me to take it. Clearly I'm doing this wrong. :v:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

I've been teaching Koji to wave. :3: I love watching the gears turn in his head as he figures out what the gently caress I'm doing and what it might mean for him.

Jerk kept going for the pile of treats on the table, though. :saddowns:

How would I end up turning a wave into a shake without confusing him? Obviously I need to get wave down better, but I'm not sure if I did this backwards or not.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

:haw: Wave!

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Like others have said, it's a little long to hold it. Is this right when you leave and get home? Is your roomie there when you aren't?

Koji usually gets at least 4 walks per day, one of them being a nice long stroll around the complex/neighborhood or a run after rabbits. He's also always walked right before we leave somewhere and is walked as soon as we get back from any sort of extended trip (work, trip to the in-laws next city over, a race, etc.) even if he was walked just 3 or 4 hours earlier, he usually has SOMETHING he needs to pee on. Besides, more walkies = less crazy dog.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Do you come home to accidents or does she tend to only do it in front of you and/or your roomie?

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Meniscus posted:

And...because PES. Brixie being held by my boyfriend while I signed adoption paperwork:

People have already given some great advice here, and just nthing that it does get better, I promise. I was a wreck when I first got my dog. ;)

Also, on the humping. I find Koji does it when he gets really wound up or stressed. For example, he tends to do it around the time a new foster gets in (not to any of the dogs he knows, usually) or at the in-laws' place, areas of high stress. He also gets this HUGE stressed smiley face and pants while he does it. We usually catch him before he does it, and call him off, but sometimes it's just time for a time out and I'll even go sit with him in a quiet corner of another room until he calms down. Then it's back out for play/interaction time. If it happens again, it's another calm down time.

Brixie looks very cute, btw. :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Okay, question for you fine folks.

Koji freaks the hell out every time we cook now. I admit, it's my fault, it's because the smoke detectors have gone off every time I used to use my cast iron grill pan. I don't use it anymore. :( Our apartment is stupid in that there is a smoke alarm right outside the kitchen and right inside our bedroom (which is right outside the kitchen. Seriously, there are two smoke detectors within 3 feet of the kitchen and a foot of each other.) The last time the smoke detector went off it was from steam from our veggies. It scared him so bad he peed on the balcony twice and tried to squeeze through the bars and jump off the second story.

Now every time we're in the kitchen to get some bread to make a sandwich (we're not even talking using the toaster yet, just grabbing the bread whether or not we want toast) he starts panting and jogging through the apartment. If we want to cook something one of us has to hold him while feeding treats, which he will totally eat for a while, but then he'll become uninterested. We can put him out on the balcony with the door closed, but that just seems like a bandaid (and if, god forbid, the alarms go off again, he might try sqeezing through the bars again. He got up to his shoulders last time.)

I've tried cheese, peanut butter, salmon treats, bread (dog fuckin loves bread), and frozen broccoli (yeah, he goes nuts for it, go figure.) And it works so long as there are treats or he just escalates. We'll sprinkle it on the floor and he'll go for it (like the cheese he'll try to get every last bit in the carpet) and he'll take treats from the kitchen while I'm cooking. It's getting to the point where we're not really cooking anymore, or I have Jeff take him on a walk while I do something really quickly. It's only stovetop or toaster things, oven things don't bother him. The only thing is, as soon as he comes back in from outside, whether the balcony or a walk, he smells the sear or the food or the heat, and he starts to panic just a little bit. When we finish and sit down to eat, he's okay.

My friend suggested Rescue Remedy, but I don't know. What am I doing wrong or should be doing? :( He used to be my cooking buddy and hang out in the hallway to watch me cook, but the smoke alarms have made him into a mess (I hate those alarms a lot, too, I don't blame him.)

Same friend also tossed him in their car yesterday to take our new foster to the vet (double whammy. They met Jeff while he was walking both dogs, and decided to take him with. Why? I don't know) without his harness or crate, so he tried to poop in their car, even though they know he's been getting better BECAUSE of the harness or crate. I was a little upset to hear this. Hopefully when he's back in our routine he won't take a step back. He now hardly pants when we go on a hike or to the dog park. He's still excited, but he no longer sounded like he's was going to choke himself from hyperventilating. Argh. :(

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Chachikoala posted:

Thanks for the feedback. She has taken to her crate pretty well and we no longer have trouble getting her in. I imagine she'll go in on command in the next week or two.

We noticed that she plays pretty rough with a lot of mouthing and soft biting. The vet said that she thinks the previous owners must have played pretty rough with her. Training this out of her is priority 1 over the next couple of weeks. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to prevent mouthing / biting while playing or when she gets overly excited?

My suggestion would be to reward and keep playing while she plays nice, but once she starts to get too excited with mouthing and biting while playing, that's when playtime stops. With my fosters I start using my "ack ack!" sound or sometimes "gentle". If that distracts them enough to stop, I praise and we keep playing. If they still want to bite and wrestle with me, play time stops and I walk away and do something else. They usually learn pretty quickly that doing that stops the funtimes.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Skizzles posted:

Poor Shadow wanted the hotdog I had for him so badly that he thought every command was "lay down." :downs: It's one of his most recently learned commands so he's kinda stuck on it, I guess. Or maybe I'm just not being clear enough for him, or the hotdog is too high value so he gets too excited, I dunno. :saddowns: The other night I taught him to lay on his side, by accident actually. But hey whatever, a new command in his short repertoire. He seems to enjoy learning new things and getting his brain going. :3: He may be an old man but god drat he learns quickly. :stare:

Hahaha, Koji's thing is wave now, since that's one of his newest. He wants a thing, he'll wave at us. He wants to go outside, he'll wave at us. He wants our attention, he'll wave at us. He wants Rosie's attention, he'll wave at her. Trying to teach him a new trick, he'll wave at me. It'd be a little annoying if it wasn't so goddamn funny!

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Hey, alifeless. I just wanted to chime in and say thanks for the wooden spoon trick. We had been feeding PB to Koji before, but usually on large butter knives or regular spoons, and I think we were missing out on the stickiness of the PB to the wood of the spoon.

This morning we got minimal, non-frantic pawing at the doors and he flinched and backed up a little instead of running off when the toaster went off this morning. Progress!

We still toss him out on the balcony during long regular cooking, especially if I'm by myself, but it's going somewhere! I'm a little curious how he'll do since we're leaving for vacation in a few weeks and he'll either be with friends or my in-laws for two weeks, so I'm hoping maybe it's just our apartment that's poisoned.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Whelp, while Jeff and I went on vacation without Koji, my friends used a few tactics to help their own sanity, and we've been starting to use them at home.

First off, they were able to burrito wrap him under times of stress, and he seemed to just fall asleep that way. So we ordered him a Thundershirt!

I honestly didn't really want to get him one, but hearing that he did well being wrapped (and that he calms down faster when I hold him) I figured that was enough evidence as any to spend the money for it.

This in conjunction with a Rescue Remedy sort of drop has seemed to help him immensely. I think my friends were heavily giving him the RR, so I've only given him a few (about 5-7 drops) 20 or so minutes before cooking, then wrap him in the Thundershirt. Tonight he was only concerned while the skillet went on and ground beef was cooking, but still needed reassurances from time to time, which is a huge loving improvement from trying to escape the death apartment. I don't know how long the drops last, but he was completely chill in the car ride home from our friend's apartment when we picked him up (though I suspect they probably gave him a fair share of RR before cooking dinner.)

Does anyone know how to ween off of it (the RR)? Obviously not yet, but I don't want to have to give him this for forever every time we cook. I figured it'll just be a little easier to associate positive things with cooking again since he'll be able to focus and not try to poo poo himself scared.

I almost feel like I'm cheating using this, especially since we were making progress in both the car and cooking departments, but it does make me feel a little relieved that he isn't so stressed about these things while using it.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

re: rescue remedy drops:

Rescue Remedy is a homeopathic preparation, and while it may be doing something, it's pretty improbable that it works the way it claims to. If I were you I'd take a really critical look at what exactly happens when you use it - is Koji really reacting to the stuff in the drops, or is it just that he's being given something unusually interesting and treat-ish? Also be aware that the "people quality" version of Rescue Remedy has alcohol in it - wouldn't want to turn your pup into a boozer would ya? That the advertising states flatly that it has no side effects strongly implies that it has no primary effects either. I mean, whatever works (even if it's only placebo effect) but, well, it's homeopathy.

Lol okay.

It's not RR. It's an RR like drop. It's called Anxiety Relief, that I did not start giving to my dog, but seeing that it worked while we were gone without the Thundershirt (and the fact our friends needed to use it) and we have fed him new and weird poo poo while cooking before, yes we decided to continue using it. The only thing that has changed in the way we handled Koji while cooking is adding this to his water bowl instead of feeding him treats to try and calm him down. I'm not sure what you needed to bring to the table with this other than "lulz homeopathy".

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

nolen posted:

The only time I used a laser pointer around my dog, she looked at the dot, looked at my hand, back at the dot, and then just walked away.

I am thankful she is too smart/stubborn for her own good.

HA, you too? :downs: Mine sighed at me and then ignored me once he figured it out two seconds later.

Progress made on the Kojifront, btw. We were able to make hamburger helper the other day with minimal fuss! He got pieces of hamburger every time he would willingly pass (paced) by the kitchen between the bedroom and living room until he eventually settled behind the corner and would just watch from the safety behind the wall. He was also able to eat his duck treat while the hamburger started frying.

HOPE.

It's a good feeling to know that I might be able to cook normally again someday.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

a life less posted:

This video shows a dog who apparently failed its temperament test, and as a result will be euthed. From where I'm sitting, that dog did remarkably well, and I don't agree with the assessment at all. Without experience, these sorts of mistakes happen a lot.

:sigh: I'm with you, I don't see a problem with how that dog reacted to any of that at all. In fact, that's how Koji used to react to children, but lots of treats and talking to the kids to get them to understand made it so now Koji wants to meet almost every short person he sees. That just makes me so sad, especially since I've had to reject completely non-adoptable dogs from the rescue before, and seeing a perfectly fine dog like that "fail" just makes my heart sink.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Betazoid posted:

About the wearing treats: Are you suggesting a fanny pack? Please don't make me wear a fanny pack. :(

What my friend did was get one of those half aprons from The Home Depot and used that for storing treats for easy access during CGC training since the pockets were right there and easy to get to.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

trainedbyshibas posted:

http://youtu.be/cg5wx80P-Zs

Remember Elee from this video?

Apparently she won Crufts Factor this year (which is like a dog talent show X Factor sort of deal.) :3:

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/4208/23/5/3

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Uuuuugh, I'm seriously getting to my wit's end here with this foster. She screams all night (I'm honestly surprised she's not hoarse) but we can't leave her out of the crate since we aren't sure she's house trained (according to the old owners she was yelled at all the time and would keep going in the house.) She's fine when left out when we're up, but panics hardcore with separation anxiety, especially in the crate. I've been trying to tire her out with learning some basic obedience since I can't let her run around yet due to healing from a spay less than a week ago, so she's stuck with a cone and limited exercise, which I think is driving us both bonkers.

Every morning we get up, or every time we get back from being gone for just a few hours, we have to see if she's peed all over the towel in the bottom of the crate and sometimes likes to hang little turds on the bars. She's taken out before going in the crate and right after getting out, and my husband and I have been taking turns at different hours to really limit her time spent in the crate, but she just panics so much she goes EVERYWHERE. Last night she even managed to get out of her cone somehow and bury it with her soiled bedding. :saddowns: I just don't know what else I can do and I'm sure I'm just not seeing something obvious. She even cries and paces when one of us has to go to the bathroom, and we've tried treats, leaving while she's distracted or asleep, ignoring her, and we never make a big deal about coming or going. It's seriously like one of the worst kids I had to deal with while working at a nursery, only I only maybe had to see them once every few weeks for about 2 hours.

Other than this she's fine, but help? We're tired and don't want to clean up wet towels anymore. I want her to be okay for someone to leave before she gets adopted, otherwise I know she's just going to keep bouncing right back to us, and I don't want that to happen. Do we just have to wait until we can run her tired without a cone before we can do anything productive? (she's also seriously sometimes got the most vacant stare I've ever seen on a Shiba when we try clicker training with things like "sit", slow coming, but she's sort of getting there...)

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

You come into a subforum with dog professionals and then get upset when we try to give you solicited advice.

I know it's hard to hear, and it could possibly get better, but only if you listen to the dog more. The out of nowhere snap probably isn't as out of nowhere as you think, the dog probably licks her lips, gets tense, gets real quiet and still etc. It can be extremely subtle to those who aren't used to it. Tell kids SPECIFICALLY they can give treats but then no pets. But first maybe no stay away from the doggy and YOU give treats when she sees strange kids. Tell them to ignore her (hard for kids and adults alike I know). If they don't listen, that's where the warning snap has its place, and never punish the dog for the warning snap, or it could just turn straight into a bite. Let her have her warnings, her growls, her snaps. This is what teaches us to back off before it does become a serious bite.

IGNORE HER.

Even your 8 year old son, ignore her. Treats and ignore. Treats and ignore. If she wants to interact, she will come up to interact.

Just because she likes the people in her own house doesn't mean there is a blanket like. The dogs currently living with me HATE other dogs. But our house of 5 works just fine, because they tolerate the ones they live with, but not strange dogs. Your dog tolerates the family she lives with, but currently (possibly forever) does not tolerate other family. Dogs don't work in a way of "well she likes this one thing, so that means she likes all." That's like saying, well I like this one kind of apple, so that means every piece of fruit is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Maybe the problem is you are treating the dog like it is a small dog and lol nbd.

You wouldn't put up with this behavior if you had a German Shepherd or some larger breed, don't put up with that poo poo from a little dog, either. Don't treat it differently because it's small, treat the same it as if it were a 120 lb Akita or a 45 lb lab.

• Locked thread