Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweetheartjess
Nov 27, 2010
I have a silly question about the point of "free shaping." Do you guys use command words for that or just... let them at it? Do you name the "two feet in the box" trick something? Or is it just designed purely to stimulate the dogs brain (and everything else that goes along with it)?

And I am currently working on my small-dog/new person/omg something is there wtf -aggressive dog using counter-conditioning. It slow goings but I cannot afford $400+ 6 week sessions unfortunately. If it boils down to it, I'll do it but this seems to be working fairly well so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweetheartjess
Nov 27, 2010

a life less posted:

It really depends on what works for you and your dog.
So, it's really up to you.

Gotcha. I guess that makes more sense now that I'm not tired, haha. I do similar things with mine. Except I don't necessarily quantify it as training... I guess it is though. Like, Phoenix will see my roommate's cat and want to play, do the playful bow and make this wookie noise (lol) trying to get Ariel's (cat) attention. So, I started saying "kitty!" when she bows/makes the noise and I'm trying to get her to make the wookie noise on command. So far, she knows "kitty!" means "find one of my roommate's cats!" LOL I need to isolate the wookie noise somehow, I guess I could use my clicker. Haha.

I've never heard that you're not supposed name a behavior until they do it reliably. Obviously you don't name it from the get-go (cause "sit" sounds exactly the same as "encyclopedia") but once you've got the attention / look at me thing down, wouldn't you want to introduce the verbiage/signage as early as reasonably possible?

sweetheartjess
Nov 27, 2010

Saveremreve posted:

It's situations like this that make it very difficult for me to support dog parks. Comet obviously was having issues that were difficult to detect and being put in a situation with rude dogs pushed him to feel the need to defend himself. Good dog socialization can be hard to find, but you're almost guaranteed on a fairly short timeline to have a bad experience at a dog park with lasting consequences. It seems like the only dogs that do well over a long time are the headstrong dopes where nothing phases them.

Personally, I don't think you should feel bad that Cosmo doesn't do well at the parks and you should just back off and stick to less problematic environments.

Agree- Phoenix is new/small-dog aggressive for the most part, regardless of how neutral the territory is. Right now her trainer and I are working on distracting her with treats when a foreign dog walks by, comes to say hello to me (she's very jealous), etc. However, I don't expect miracles, as she was a stray until about 4 months. She was found roadside by herself, so I am pretty sure she wasn't properly socialized with her siblings / with any other dogs. I think her aggression stems from having to fight to survive "in the wild," so to speak. It's going to take a lot more than treats to change her mentality if that's the case.

For now, I only bring her to off-leash parks we are familiar with where there are mostly larger dogs she's met before with looooots of room and a body of water, where she can be distracted by me easily. She sort-of attacked a friend of mine's corgi when we were camping about 2 months ago, and that was the thing that really made me want to pursue something to alter her behavior. I don't think there's anything wrong with limiting a dog's socialization with strangers (K9 or otherwise) while s/he's still in the beginning stages of training for aggression / socialization. You need to address the aggression before the socialization can occur.

sweetheartjess
Nov 27, 2010
I suppose that as a general rule of thumb (for me) I wouldn't try to train my dog while at a dog park, unless it was more advanced training, was with a trainer and the goal was to use distractions as a test. I dunno though /shrug

sweetheartjess
Nov 27, 2010

Ridonkulous posted:

Dalaa is 6 months
1) She will pick up people things and chew on them(off kitchen counters, table, my daughter's bed, my wife's shoes). NOTE: I go out of my way to limit where she goes but I feel I am the only one in my house.

2)She chews on the corners of everything, We have limited this with the bitter spray, but she is still having some problems (last month my roommate let her out of her crate at night and she chewed up a large chunk of the couch when he fell asleep)

3)She jumps on our 5yr old Lab (Maggie) and chews on her neck flap (???), Maggie doesn't seem to be upset by it, but it can not be as fun as Dalaa makes it out to be and is probably painful/bad habit.

4)She barks at night in her crate, usually if she lays down between 10-11pm she starts barking around 6am. There seems to be no cause or concern, she just starts barking. We let her out to the bathroom originally, but once outside she wants to play.

All of these are because she's 6 months old. How old was she when you adopted her? Im/proper socialization may attribute to #3, but maybe not. Sounds like she's just trying to play, like she would with a sibling.

RE: 1-3; she needs more stuff to chew on. She's teething / trying to lose her baby teeth. Have you found any creepy, tooth-looking objects around the house lately? If you have, you either live in a weird house or you've found a baby tooth of Dalaa's. Or it's possible both are true, I guess :P

To be honest, I'm not sure what to tell you about #4. It sounds to ME like she understands that: bark in crate = ATTENTION, gently caress YEAH! So she does it... IF that is the case, you letting her out is rewarding the barking, hence the cycle. However, the bladder muscle that allows dogs to hold their urine for 5+ hours doesn't typically develop fully until 6-12 months so I would hate to encourage you to leave her in her crate, with her elimination in there.

There are lots of others more knowledgeable than myself who I'm sure will be able to give you a better answer to #4. Heck, probably, 1-4. :) Good luck!

• Locked thread