Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

You trained your dog to be Jewish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Debatable, I don't know if it's kosher to eat 7 of the candles.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Belle D. Beagle has gotten into trash cans in the past, so we just moved them inside a nearby closet or laundry room so the temptation wasn't there. Short of that, I'd imagine doubling down on "leave it" world work if enforced whenever the pooch got near the trash.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Separation anxiety question for you all.

Our beagle has a pretty bad case of SA, but we have gotten her familiar enough with her crate via crate games that she will (usually) go in it if bid and will stay pretty quiet if we leave while she's in there. We still have minor accidents due to "I got scared and peed a bit", but she's improving. However, she will utterly ignore any food/treats/toys in her crate while she is locked in there or we are gone. I'm glad she isn't making a mess or racket, but I'm not sure if her sitting/lying in her crate comatose in terror is good for her or not. Thoughts?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I bought and read it a bit back, but got side tracked by other things before I could start implementing it. I don't mind doing so again, but a bulleted/order list of "Do X, then Y until Z" would be amazing. The trainer I used to work with before had something similar for separation games and it was a big help. Thankfully someone is almost always home, so we're keeping the reinforcement to a minimum I hope.

I've been mulling over obedience training, so we might get someone to assist. The pooch is damned good at tricks, but I've been unable to "polish" the more basic stuff so far. Most people just say "Them's beagles for you", but I don't know if I believe it.

Edit - I'm going to reread it, but can I assume this will do in the meantime?

Edit edit - Hot takes on medication would be appreciated too. The wife and I aren't too enthusiastic on the notion, but using it with the understanding of it being a temporary measure to get her "reset to 0" during SA training is something I can live with.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 22, 2017

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Man.

My trainer had me just walk back and forth and every time the dog starts walking in front, to turn around.

You feel like a jackass turning around every like 10 feet but that resolves pretty quickly.

Turn around as in reverse direction or just wait and face away from the dog?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Get a second litter box for the pooch? She might not be down for eating her poo poo if it's covered in litter/sand.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Weenies have rabbit hunting bred into them, so you’re in for fun. It’s possible the older pup might get used to the rabbit at some point if they’re around each other, but that’s hard to say.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Beags are a blast to train. I haven had to flush my own toilet in half a year because ours loves her drat treats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Only if it’s snowed. She loves turdcicles for some reason. Never fails to make me choke back a dry heave.

Dog would do anything for a treat. We keep a dohickey full of miniature milk bones to toss to her for stuff. She’s sharp too so that helps.

• Locked thread