Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

I’m preparing to get my first dog and I’m a little nervous as I’ve never owned a dog before. I’ve read the thread and purchased The Power of Positive Dog Training, but is there a priority list of behaviors to focus on somewhere? I know it’s important to not overwhelm the dog with too many things at once.

I’ve been contacting rescues and am looking for a small-ish older dog because I live in a 1BR apartment in a city. I like two dogs so far, both about 30lbs, one “shepard” mix that I assume will be higher energy and drive-y and one whippet mix that is described as a couch potato. Both rescues are foster-based and have coordinators who say they can help me find a good dog for my lifestyle.

I imagine my priorities should be:
1. Housebreaking
2. Crate training
3. Leave it to avoid resource guarding?
4. Leash manners?

I’m a bit lost here - any help would be much appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

I ended up getting a 6 y/o shepherd / beagle mix from a local rescue. She was owned by a family since she was 14 weeks and has some obedience training, so things like housebreaking, sit, down, crate training, resource guarding, and leash manners have pretty much been a nonissue. She also was a local rescue (not transported from the south) so didn't really experience a ton of trauma and stress getting to my house, which is awesome!

She's very food motivated and I signed us up for some obedience classes at a local dog club. I'm looking forward to taking her from a good dog to a great dog!

• Locked thread