Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I do hope it won't be too problematic to cross-post this here, it seems a very good spot for it. If it is, I will remove it.

I have recently become interested in perhaps pursuing a career as a dog handler for police/military/contractor (drug/bomb sniffing dog, etc.). Unfortunately, information on such a path seems to be rather sparse (after perusing the usual search engines) and so, thus far, do open positions. Still, I figured I'd ask SA as I figured there's bound to be someone out there who knows more about this.

I fully anticipate being let down by finding out this won't really be feasible for me for any number of reasons (it's a pattern I've got going, but I digress), but I figured I might as well try to learn more before I can make the call one way or the other.

I've been around dogs my whole life and currently have a hound and he is awesome. I am a dog person, I think it safe to say, and think that this might be something worth exploring (not grooming, etc.). Now, this may seem like a silly basis for something to pursue as a career, but I'm currently in accounting and have had at least two other shots into career fields that have more or less failed, so my mind wanders a good bit. I don't often come across anything that piques my interest, so when I do, I try to look into it a bit more.

Basically, I'm starting from scratch here. I have a basic knowledge of dog training (mostly the older style with hunting dogs), but no clue whatsoever as to how to get into this field. As I understand it, one path is to join the armed forces (which is really not feasible for me, owing to some health problems) or perhaps to go through a police academy, although that doesn't guarantee landing in this position at all. Still, this doesn't really answer what sort of training and whatnot one might need, much less where/how to acquire it. While I am not opposed to training and the like, I don't really want to go back to school right now (assuming a criminal justice degree might help). I put in 6 straight years from my bachelor's to my master's (history, failed path #1) and am still fairly well burnt out.

Still, it seems that once a person has the basic skill set required to train and then "handle" a working dog, getting into a position to do this should be fairly easy, but I could be completely wrong. So basically, I am leaving this open to ask anyone if they would please enlighten me about this field. You have my sincerest thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Cheers. If you ever get around to opening your own place and need someone with a master's degree to use as a lackey, you know where to find me. I can't believe I missed the career thread though. Mighty observant of me :doh:

• Locked thread