Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcane
Nov 19, 2003

There are no girls on the internet!
This thread could not have come at a better time. I read through the entire thread and got a lot of good ideas. My parents have had Buster (boxer pittbull mix) for about two years now. But he would get bored and depressed when everyone was at work. So my sister and I went out and got Spike (red nose pittbull). This is them when we first got spike.

Click here for the full 720x480 image.

They get along great. They are both house broken and do really well at home. They are very spoiled.

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

As Spike has gotten older (10 months) he definitely requires a lot more exercise. Spike has learned to hop over the dog fence, chew through the back yard fence and takes himself out on walks in the park behind our house. He always comes home but I am scared someone will see a pittbull and take him. The other problem is both Spike and Buster get crazy around other dogs. They start barking and 'attempt to play' but other dogs usually get scared. We had an incident where they got out and there were other smaller dogs out in the neighborhood. Spike ended up biting two smaller dogs. So we have a vet bill to take care of. We've fixed the fence so they can't get out and are on a better exercise schedule.

So my question is how do I train them to be calm and social around other dogs? They are great on their own and can ignore people, but they become hard to handle around other dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcane
Nov 19, 2003

a life less posted:

A ton of help.

Thanks for all the great advice! I knew most of the dogs history but thought they could learn to get rid of their aggression. I guess not. We fixed the dog kennel (Spike was hopping over and squeezing through the fence). They have never been able to go in the back yard unsupervised, but given Spike's escape act, we have also secured the back yard fence.

I took the dogs out for a walk separately using all the methods I found on the site. It was difficult for Buster to ignore everything around him (cars and people), but he doesn't bark and pull on the leash. While taking Spike out for a walk we ran into a lady with a tiny dog (on a leash) and an old man with a rottweiler (not on a leash). Both dogs surrounded us One was behind and one was in front. I crossed the street to avoid contact with either dog and waiting until they passed. With treat and commands I was able to keep spike focused on me and calm. Of course he still cried, but I'll take crying over loud barking and hauling rear end on a leash.

I think that's pretty good progress for now. I know being consistent will be important. The next step is teaching my sisters and parents these techniques.

Arcane
Nov 19, 2003

Kerfuffle posted:

Do you crate the dogs if you leave them indoors while you're gone? Do this if you don't. It's absolutely the safest for them VS being left outside unattended. People do steal and do horrible things to pet dogs, especially bully breeds. :(

No unfortunately everyone in my family has a weird schedule and there would be days where the dogs would be in a kennel for up to 8 hours. If we were going to crate them I would want to be consistent. My schedule will change this summer so I will probably do it then. I just hope I'm not waiting to late to do so.

• Locked thread