Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I love this thread, thanks A Life Less for starting it. Cosmo is crazy smart when it comes to training him to do things, but only if I'm smart about how to capture behaviors and teach him what to do. Sometimes I have to get creative ,like with Down, I think I asked about it in the Primitive Breeds thread.

Basically he only ever gets into a down position on the bed if I'm playing with him, so I got him on the bed and 'captured' the action with a clicker and reward treats, he was a little confused when I asked him to down outside of the bedroom, but quickly started getting it.

Heel is gonna be a little tough I think, and getting him to recall/obey at the dog park is gonna be very tough, he's kind of ADD when theres OMG DOGS LETS PLAY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Yea I should've checked the old thread, but credit to Siochain for proposing the idea! The capturing of behaviors was a really awesome idea, and worked great.

I'm so stoked on it that I want to train him so many things at once. But don't want to over load him.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 29, 2010

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Ok, so Cosmo is pretty good at picking up on things...but I just can't get him to heel. Maybe its because I'm in the apartment when I try it?

I try to lead him with treats, I've tried his favorite chicken training treats, and thinly sliced hot dog, he walks a little bit, sometimes will leap/jump at my hand to get the treat, then just sits down looking at me.

Sometimes he'll get a full 'oval' walk on, walking straight, turn to my left (he heels on my left), go straight again, turn again, give a treat. But it ends there. Getting him to follow me to turn right is way harder, he just stops I turn, he cuts the corner so he's now on my right side.

Any really good tips for this one?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

a life less posted:

I taught Cohen using a slightly different method though, so if you're having trouble with that, try this. I feel that this is more of a way to teach walking at heel instead of loose leash walking, which is both good and bad.

So, I'm standing there with Cohen on my left side. I take a step forward while at the same time hunched down with a hand full of treats in her face, popping them into her mouth one at a time. This is just to give the dog the idea that if they move with you they get food. Then try taking multiple steps, as many as you can while still keeping the dog's focus on all the awesome stuff in your hand. The next stage looks kind of funny. While walking pop a reward into the dog's mouth then quickly move your hand to your left hip bone then immediately back to your dog's mouth for another reward. (I'll take this opportunity to remind you that you should be giving the treats with your left hand.) It looks like a silly dance move. This is to get the dog used to looking at you while walking (even if it's just your hip and hand). Gradually increase the pause between returning to your dog's mouth as he begins to understand the game. The rules are: 1. stay on my left side, 2. look at me. If the dog follows the rules he profits. Think about heel position as the dog begging in motion.

After you get to that part it's really just a matter of upping distance, distractions and duration. A focused heel takes a long time to teach (months). It's also really taxing on the dog so don't ask for it for a prolonged period of time. Play a game where you pick landmarks where you want the dog to heel between them (lightposts, whatever) and ask for it then let them relax and be a dog between exercises.

The downside to this is that I've been finding it difficult to get Cohen to maintain proper position when she's not focused on me. She tends to forge ahead when not focused (luckily she doesn't pull, she just doesn't position herself perfectly). I try not to ask for her focus all the time, but she tends to give it to me without me asking (which is great, don't get me wrong, but it's not exactly what I want).

You mention you're having trouble turning to your right. Dogs don't generalize well, so go back to basics (of having food continuously in his face) to work him through his trouble spots, then work your way up.

Awesome, I've got Cosmo Heeling all through my apartment with me now (as long as there are treats of course). Going to work up the distances and distractions gradually. I did skip the leash post because Cosmo is good on a leash, though I've gone back over now to get an idea of how to incorporate some of it into Heel. By next spring (when they hold the trials again) I think Cosmo will be ready for his first Rally trial!

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Saveremreve posted:

Personally, I don't think you should feel bad that Cosmo doesn't do well at the parks and you should just back off and stick to less problematic environments.

Eek, think you mixed our dogs up there. Even though I have run into a few issues at the dog park, thankfully they haven't had a lasting impression on Cosmo. I am going to sign up at a member-only dog park though, where all dogs are temperament tested.

Because I do want to work on training Cosmo around other dogs, ie Distractions other than bowls of stinky awesome meat on the floor, and my wife doing things around the apartment. And a dog park is perfect for training while having the distractions of OMG NEED TO PLAY RIGHT NOW.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I only plan on teaching him some Heel and Rally commands while there are 3 or 4 other dogs there. Its wintertime and not a lot of people take their dogs out, so its a good time to go when chances are there may be only 1 other person there.

Its also the only place I can try to train him stuff like heel while in the presence of other dogs (besides on walks), unless I want to drive an hour into the country to my parents house.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Well Cosmo will heel all over the apartment with me, for a while before I have to give him a treat too. He even heeled down one whole city block with me. He'll heel around minor distractions in the apartment.

Its just a matter of keeping at it before we can really start heeling without a handful of treats as incentive. I'm so confident by spring he'll be ready for rally.

Now if only I can get him to down without luring him. He'll do it on the bed no problem without a lure (where I first 'captured' the action), but on the floor he just sits and looks at me, unless I lure him down...

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Its been a while PI...but I've got a bit of an issue.

Sagan. Her and Cosmo have chilled out on the playing 24/7 for the most part, and when my wife and I are visibly mellow (watching a movie or something) they generally get mellow too.

But Sagan, when on a leash, is a different creature. We take her outside to potty, and if anyone or any dog walks by she's in instant 'rabid oh god I HAVE TO KILL YOU' mode. She'll choke herself on the leash, stand on her hind legs, jump and twist about.

We bought a gentle leader because when we first got her she walked on the leash like she was searching for victims under the rubble or a kidnapped kid or something...she was constantly on some kind of trail pulling hard. But with the Gentle Leader on she looks even more rabid, shaking her head around, pushing her face into the ground, wild paw action...its ridiculous. Sometimes its ok, and she walks like normal, but not when she sees another dog.

Thing is, at the dog park she's fine, timid even. She'll run and let dogs chase her, but she doesn't wrestle a lot. She kind of hides behind my wife's or my legs most of the time.

She just goes nuts when we're walking around our block/neighborhood. I've tried getting her to focus on me, showing her a treat and making her sit for the treat, but that works about 10% of the time, the rest of the time she ignores me, or she'll look at me, sit down, then twist about to get back to the other dog. Whats stupid is she won't even do anything if she reaches the other dog, she just barks real loud and sniffs it. One guy let his dog get acquainted with Sagan, and Cosmo just chilled by us and Sagan would just bark in this poor dogs face... In the apartment complex she did the same thing (I took her leash off before I opened the apt door once, que another dog coming out) she ran up rabid and crazy, the owner thought his dog was gonna die, but Sagan just jumped around the dog barking...like she was begging it to do something (think instigating a high-school fight).

Its hard to really train with any kind of schedule or regularity, because any other dogs we know that we could use to help train her she's cool with (Cosmo, parents dogs). It's only in our neighborhood, and its randomly, so I think I'm in need a better distraction technique?

Any help would be awesome, people must think we have a rabid wolf, while Cosmo just stares off like an oblivious, yet very happy, goofball.

edit; also to note, she'll go crazy from behind our apartment window at people/dogs passing by, so maybe we could start there and move the training to outside.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 26, 2011

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
No it definitely helps. As for Sagan's background, the rescue told us her litter was 'born in the wild', I guess they found her and her siblings in the woods somewhere. Her siblings are apparently waaaaay worse according to the foster mom. We got her at 6 months old, she could already sit and was basically potty trained. We've had her for just over a month now.

Cosmo caught onto the Leave It thing real fast, and Sagan's an even faster learner when it comes to tricks and things (indoors anyway). The problem is she can see a dog from a mile away, or a squirrel, or a scent...she has super powers, at least compared to Cosmo, so its hard to avoid the situation, because she'll notice it at the same time or before I do.

I'm gonna have to work on my body language and do more body blocking, and I think I'm going to need some really, really loving amazing treats to distract with...like some smelly nasty rear end liver or something, I just...don't want it in my pocket :(

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

RurouNNy posted:

Sounds like she is anxious at the park too, just she isn't restrained by a leash, so she's coping by avoiding other dogs/hiding. Just my 2 cents.

She's only been about 3 or 4 times, but I think I will limit the visits. I had thought about trying to train her on the leash there, since I have a bit more control when she sees a dog. But I think I'll just keep doing it around the apartment and limit the dog park visits.

quote:

Also, I am a big fan of Cosmo, and now Sagan too :) I miss seeing Cosmo's goofy face around.

I'll be sure to post more (check the at play thread), I've been really busy (which doesn't help with Sagan's behavior issues...) and on vacation last week (and then Cosmo apparently forgot he was house broken).

Edit; I don't want to jinx anything, but dare I say we may be making progress. We were out front to go potty and she noticed a person across the street getting into their car, and made a little huff/puff noise then looked at me. I treated her and praised her and she sat down, she looked kind of anxious to turn around and scream at this person, but patiently sat while I treated her and praised her.

Then two girls had to come walk by and GUSH OMG PUPPPPPPY :3: which set Sagan off, but in the midst of that chaos I did manage to get her to focus on a handful of treats held to her snout, and she focused on my long enough for the girls to walk away. It's not going to be a quick fix, but I think if I keep it up, and don't lose my patience this could work out.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 30, 2011

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Guys...I've lost my patience, and am about to go off the deep end.

Sagan just won't loving behave on the leash. It seemed to be getting a little better, but plateaued I guess, but now that its nice weather more people are out and about, and she's absolutely, goddamn, loving batshit insane. No amount of food distractions will keep her attention if something else is alive and existing within sight.

I feel bad because when she goes off and I can't distract her and she acts like a rabid freak I want to smack her so bad, I don't...but god the urge is so powerful. I've inquired to a local daycare/training facility, but gently caress if they aren't the most expensive thing in the world.

Any last minute advice before I waste my down-payment for a home on this rabid rear end wild loving wolf bitch.

Why can't she be more like Cosmo? :(

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Yea, its so hit or miss. Just now we went on a long walk and she only grumbled once. She used to look at me for treats but kind of stopped. I have done bits of reading, but not those particular ones. I've already shot out some emails to trainers, but I think I will look into a GSD specific club.

Like now I don't feel as angry as I did when I made that post, but every so often she just goes hog wild and its like we're back to square one, but then like just now she was fine and it was a pleasant stroll through the neighborhood...

Oh well, guess I'll buy some xanax and persevere, hopefully the trainer doesn't destroy my wallet.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
So most of the older PI crowd will remember Cosmo & Sagan. Sagan had reactivity issues and she's mostly a lot better. But out of loving no where Cosmo has developed a problem. The other day we're at my in-laws house and my wife's little sister has a new puppy, maybe 4-6 months old. Cosmo bit the gently caress out of the dog and we figured it was because there was food out on a table about head-high to the dogs. So we took all food away and all was fine. But we came back a week or so later and were just hanging out at their pool and for no apparent reason Cosmo bit the gently caress out of the dog again.

Then tonight we're at the local baseball diamond where our neighbors and anyone local with dogs let their dogs run around when school's out. Some neighbors came by and played, and Cosmo was fine until some 6 month old Golden Doodle cutie pie rolled up, and Cosmo bit the poo poo out of him. So we put Cosmo back on his leash and he didn't get to play for the rest of the session. We all walked back to our homes, which are all on the same city block, and we're lingering outside talking, and not really paying attention to the dogs but they're all on leashes standing in a circle, when again, out of the blue, Cosmo bites the gently caress out of the 6mo pup. It looked like he might've gotten his eye cause the dog wouldn't open it's left eye... I didn't really know how to respond to Cosmo doing this because it's never happened to me before, so I yelled No! and held him close and gave him a stern look/finger pointing.

Obviously I told the dog's mom to take it to the vet and let us know what's up and we'll pay for anything if there is anything wrong and all that jazz... but what the gently caress? What could be causing Cosmo to act out like this? I can only remember one other time when Cosmo bit a dog and it was when my friend brought his new puppy to my house, and both dogs were on either side of me trying to get lovings and Cosmo lunged over me to bite the gently caress out of my friend's puppy.

So how do I train Cosmo to stop biting puppies out of the blue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Yea, I just didn't know how to react when it happened, that was the instinct. Sometimes Cosmo will stare the dog down before he bites, but sometimes he'll have that same look and just start licking dogs... Yea we're still in CVG, I guess we'll look at trainers, he's going to the vet soon anyway so we'll have to bring this up for sure.

• Locked thread