Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis
We have our dog to sit and 'wait' before she goes out any door (including the car), on leash or off. While she is really, really good at it when someone is with her (door wide open, other dogs and people going in and out is no problem), if she just sees an open door, she'll go through it, just barely pausing on the way out.

How do we get her to understand that this also applies without someone next to you?

She also likes to sleep in inappropriately tiny beds, which we encourage whenever possible.

(ignore the doofy 'I hate the camera' face, her tail's going a mile a minute)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis
Thanks for the reply. Rant incoming!

That's pretty much what we've been doing-- but unfortunately I think our circumstances work against us a lot. We're in an apartment complex that's full of awful dog owners who will let their dogs out off leash, and shut the door behind them. I don't really want these dogs either in our apartment, or ours (perfectly understandably) going out to see WTF. She has loose leash walking down pat, so even if we put a long line on her, she'd be responding to THAT, not choosing to ignore the door.

I also have pet-stupid 'in-laws' to contend with, who keep two outdoor exclusive dogs, let the little dogs inside climb in the dishwasher, eat off of plates at the table, bite strangers, bark all day, piss everywhere, etc etc. So their only idea of training is to yell "sitsitsitSITSITSITSITSITSIT" at ours until she completes the sit she started when they first yelled, then ignoring her. I'd really hate to keep her away from there, 'cause it is a fenced 5 acre property on which she's allowed to dig extensively and run like crazy (and we would catch unending amounts of hell), but poo poo. She regresses every time we go there, it seems. We can't really get them to have her wait at the door, and they even feed her directly from the dinner table when we explicitly tell them not to-- she gets put in a down-stay far away from the table, that THEY CALL HER OUT OF, and we DO want her to know to go to them just in case-- and now she begs.

Edit: actually, writing that and re-reading your post makes me realize what we're doing "wrong"-- currently, it's set up as waiting to go out the door, but it needs to be not going out the door period, until you're told. The reward at the end of how we do it currently is going out the door, not staying in. So when the door is open, she assumes that going out of it is the eventual goal. And being a smartass, she just takes a shortcut.

I want a more stupid dog. :(

tsc fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 28, 2010

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis
Crating and/or tethering, maybe in conjunction with closing off certain rooms of the house to her (via baby gates).

Combine that with scheduled potty trips (maybe clear a spot of ground so she doesn't have to get cold feet, and throw a sweater on her?), she'll go outside eventually and then you get to throw a potty party with all sorts of treats! She's learned that inside is easier than outside, so you need to make outside WAY more awesome.

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis

Kerfuffle posted:

Especially if they have kids. (They want to pet the doggy why are you such awful people who won't let them pet the doggy?) Strangers are not reliable when it comes to dog training.

Oh god yes. I take the dog any time we have to go to petsmart/co, 'cause she really likes to sit and watch the fishies. (and the rats but I don't let her do that in front of employees)

I have had multiple (5+?) kids come running up at her squealing, stop RIGHT before they get to her, freeze, then run away crying because she looked at them. Then I get a dirty look from the parents because I have a "mean dog". She just gets sad that she didn't get pets, but poo poo. It's not just responsible people that take their social dogs there, they also take reactive, aggressive, and shy dogs. Why would you let your kid do that!?

(I wouldn't let her do this if she did anything but put her nose on the glass and wag)

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis
I'm crossposting this from the Yappy Rat thread--

quote:

I'm posting these here because there's a lot of yapping.

Our typical routine with Stan is that I take the dogs out in the morning, then I generally return to bed with Stan, and we have a little playtime. Today, Stan let my boyfriend take him out (unleashed into a fenced area), which was a big step.

These are videos of this morning's playtime, because I'd like to get some feedback as to what Stan is actually doing here. Most of it's playing, but there are these moments where he seems scared or nervous, when nothing changes, and it's all been pretty upbeat and gentle. He's a little more excited and barky in these than usual (and yes, we tell him no barking in one video then let him bark, we don't want to get rid of it just have an off button), and a little less kissy, but it's a pretty good representation anyway. It's just weird, and I hope we're not encouraging his being scared or something.

After we play like this he calms right down and eats breakfast and goes about his day, so it's not like it's traumatizing him or anything.

Stan1 Shyest bit.
Stan2 The barkiest bit, but also the most playful.
Stan3 Mostly for my boyfriend getting punched in the kidneys by our other dog.

Stan has never bitten, nipped, or even roughly mouthed during any of this.

quote:

He's less barky with me, but he does the same things for the most part, and he's absolutely not scared of me. He plays with other men too, doing the kisses/digging at hands thing with my boyfriend's dad, but he more readily accepts pets/scratches from him. If you tell him "go give kisses" he happily bounces over to whoever you point at and will lick their hands the same way, so it's an established thing he does, not just when he's scared.

Stan listens well to my boyfriend, recalls *near* him rather than *to* him, waits at the door with him... http://youtu.be/1Cs9AHeFdXg (he's between Tola's butt and the wall here, which he also does with me alone).

When we're just walking, Stan's always close to one of us, but when he's with my boyfriend he is happy and looks at him and bouncy etc, no fear at all. http://youtu.be/stPxsDyQoRE (sideways and shakey, sorry)

He will not let my boyfriend hold him, hold his leash (he instantly shuts down and is in full on GET THE gently caress AWAY terror mode, so we don't do that for now), but Stan will let him pick him up if I'm around, and BF can throw paper balls for Stan and he plays keepaway.

Edit: I'm not saying that there's not fear involved, which is why I posted. BUt it's perplexing because for a while, we didn't let Stan play like that, and my boyfriend mostly ignored him except for food and treats. After about a week of that, Stan was constantly bouncing around him and barking and licking and grumbling trying desperately to get him to play. We kept going though, and in the mornings, every movement by my boyfriend would be interpreted as an attempt to play, followed by the behaviors in the video, ignored or not.

Edit edit: No fear issues in general. He's not a fan of deep holes but it's hard not to be when you're 8" tall I guess.

Here are some more videos of him in a less excited mode. Yes we have a lot of laundry in the hall, it's getting washed today.

http://youtu.be/T1h_6omcjTk Boyfriend has his head turned away from Stan the whole time.

http://youtu.be/3d7gFVJ8PeE treats

Basically: I acknowledge that there's fear involved. I am wondering why he initiates the behaviors in the first two videos if he's scared, and why we are plateauing at this level.

I was going to get a video of his behavior outside around other people and noises, but he just does dog stuff and it's really very boring to watch a small grey dog wander off and sniff bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis
We got him in the very beginning of March, so it hasn't been very long at all.

I wish I had a video of how he was at first-- it was a definite fear reaction, and he took weeks to calm down from that. Our working theory at that point was that he had no idea how to deal with men in general-- everyone at the rescue was a woman. He likes male kids though. But the leash reaction (not going to get a video of that, obviously) is so instant and full of pure terror that it really seems like something specific happened to him. The other stuff does seem very conflicted to me.

It seems like treating him for going away from men might just reinforce that men are good to go away from, but we'll try. That's a key issue because of where we live-- 5 acres out in the desert. If he gets out of the gate, anybody needs to be able to catch him, male or female. Same thing if he's bitten by a snake.

This is him just wandering outside, and saying hi to my boyfriend's dad. It is really hot right now (97) so he's not as active as he might otherwise be. Just as a reference for his relaxed, not really being asked to do anything behaviors. He does retreat to me a bit at the end, but I'm kind of his default person to hang out with.

Thank you for the links, I'll look into it.

• Locked thread