Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Oh man I appreciate that, you know I do!

Kerfuffle posted:

Can anyone tell me why (specifically) this thing is probably a piece of poo poo? I keep seeing infomercials for it.

http://barkoff.me/

Ha ha, that's really strange, I happened upon an article by Gail Fisher about this exact product last night (I'd never seen the infomercial ...) http://www.alldogsgym.com/content/view/582/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

I came across this video, and I am sort of baffled by what point they are trying to get across. (warning: the dude recording the video has a horrible, loud voice, and the guy being filmed wasn't close to the mic, so he is really quiet) Basically, they are trying to show that you can use an electronic collar in place of a clicker for training and blah blah blah, the collar isn't negative if the dog doesn't perceive it that way. While the puppy is doing what they ask, he seems hesitant (especially after they turn it up) ... so why would anyone use something aversive and claim it is neutral (like the clicker)? I would think their response time would always lag. Also, the dude's tone all through the video was really rubbing me the wrong way :mad: Wondering what anyone else's take on it was?

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

RizieN posted:

Its been a while PI...but I've got a bit of an issue.

Thing is, at the dog park she's fine, timid even. She'll run and let dogs chase her, but she doesn't wrestle a lot. She kind of hides behind my wife's or my legs most of the time.

You already got some great advice, but your comment about Sagan's behavior at the dog park is exactly how my dog was. He is also a herding mix and he used to go to the dog park daily when we first adopted him. He was pretty timid, would rarely wrestle, and mostly just stalked and chased/was chased by other dogs (herding stuff). After the adoption honeymoon period was over, he became really leash reactive, but was still timid at the dog park. When we finally decided we were way over our heads in trying to fix his issues, we got in contact with a trainer and she advised us to stop taking him to the dog park as it was doing more harm than good (pretty sure it exasperated his anxiety issues big time). If I were you I would seriously consider giving her a break from the dog park until you have worked on her leash reactivity issues or maybe taking her when it's much quieter or you know the dogs there aren't going to bug her. Sounds like she is anxious at the park too, just she isn't restrained by a leash, so she's coping by avoiding other dogs/hiding. Just my 2 cents.

Also, I am a big fan of Cosmo, and now Sagan too :) I miss seeing Cosmo's goofy face around.

• Locked thread