Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saveremreve
Dec 30, 2004

a life less posted:

I'd probably start with Click to Calm by Emma Parsons and Fight by Jean Donaldson.

It sounds like it might have started with rude behaviour making your dog feel anxious and threatened, and now he's not taking the chance to have other dogs threaten him and his aggression in the result.

I would do everything you can to limit unleashed greetings between your dog and others. I think right now you would want your goal to be for Comet to ignore other dogs, or better yet look to you for reinforcement when in their presence. Each time he's allowed to repeat the behaviour the more ingrained it becomes. I don't say this spitefully, or with intention to hurt, but it's irresponsible to allow your dog off leash and out of your control when you feel there's a chance that he'll not only get in a fight, but pin another dog. I 100% understand the desire to continue giving him exposure and hoping for the best, but I don't think that's wise. You're on the right track leashing him when you see other dogs who you expect will trigger a reaction. Just be more proactive.

So, to reiterate, your goal should be for him to ignore other strange dogs. Work on off-leash control and recalls (which it sounds like you're doing... continue 'em). Ask for eye contact/focus when around other dogs. Hopefully one of those books will set you on your way. Once you've desensitized him you might be able to successfully reintroduce off leash greetings of strange dogs, but it might be a ways off.

It's situations like this that make it very difficult for me to support dog parks. Comet obviously was having issues that were difficult to detect and being put in a situation with rude dogs pushed him to feel the need to defend himself. Good dog socialization can be hard to find, but you're almost guaranteed on a fairly short timeline to have a bad experience at a dog park with lasting consequences. It seems like the only dogs that do well over a long time are the headstrong dopes where nothing phases them.

Personally, I don't think you should feel bad that Cosmo doesn't do well at the parks and you should just back off and stick to less problematic environments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saveremreve
Dec 30, 2004

RizieN posted:

Eek, think you mixed our dogs up there. Even though I have run into a few issues at the dog park, thankfully they haven't had a lasting impression on Cosmo. I am going to sign up at a member-only dog park though, where all dogs are temperament tested.

Because I do want to work on training Cosmo around other dogs, ie Distractions other than bowls of stinky awesome meat on the floor, and my wife doing things around the apartment. And a dog park is perfect for training while having the distractions of OMG NEED TO PLAY RIGHT NOW.

Ah apologies, I've been very behind on threads and reading a lot at once. I also had the sense that generally speaking the advice applies pretty generally.

So sorry for casting aspersions on Cosmo!

I think generally speaking people should be more aware of the dangers of dog parks and not define their dogs happiness by whether or not it's good for them. It'd be like saying everyone was cut out to be the life of the party and there's no room for wallflowers.

Saveremreve
Dec 30, 2004

a life less posted:

My dog used to have the really (really really really) annoying habit of barking to be let out of her crate early in the morning. Ignoring it was tough, since she pretty much proved that she would go for an hour or more just "yip.... yip.... yip". One day in a fit of desperation I shouted for her to quiet down, and it worked. So I kept doing it. Some mornings were more successful than others, but I think I was communicating to her that, yes, I hear you -- no, you're not getting out.

I'm not sure if this is good advice, but I'm going to suggest you acknowledge the barking but don't capitulate to your dog's demands. Otherwise I fear that the dog just assumes that you can't hear it and it'll try harder.

I'll come out of hiding here too and admit that with my German Shepherd pup my ex and I did a version of this as well. She was smart and when we moved her out of the bedroom she would wake up in the morning and just yap and moan around 6 am when we usually got up at 7 - 7:30.

A flat - raised but not angry "Hey - Senta, enough" without going into the room would quiet her down.

Another problem we had was that the cats would antagonize her in her crate and since our house was open format there was no way to lock them out. Occasionally in the middle of the night there would be a random bark/yowl fest that we broke up with a can of pennies. This was half to scare away the cat and half to surprise the dog into quiet. That also worked - and I don't think it treads too heavily on any of the crating rules.

Saveremreve
Dec 30, 2004

With the discussion about using a clicker vs. marker word etc. how come no one uses whistles like they do with Marine mammals? It seems like it'd be great to keep your hands free and a burst of air can be even faster than a finger press.

• Locked thread