Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

RizieN posted:

I love this thread, thanks A Life Less for starting it. Cosmo is crazy smart when it comes to training him to do things, but only if I'm smart about how to capture behaviors and teach him what to do. Sometimes I have to get creative ,like with Down, I think I asked about it in the Primitive Breeds thread.

Basically he only ever gets into a down position on the bed if I'm playing with him, so I got him on the bed and 'captured' the action with a clicker and reward treats, he was a little confused when I asked him to down outside of the bedroom, but quickly started getting it.

Heel is gonna be a little tough I think, and getting him to recall/obey at the dog park is gonna be very tough, he's kind of ADD when theres OMG DOGS LETS PLAY.

Yay my suggestion worked! huzzah! :)
Glad you've got down working!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

RizieN posted:

Yea I should've checked the old thread, but credit to Siochain for proposing the idea! The capturing of behaviors was a really awesome idea, and worked great.

I'm so stoked on it that I want to train him so many things at once. But don't want to over load him.

Hahah I'm the same with Asa. The old lady was here for her 2-weeks home shortly after Asa learnt down, so trainings kind of slowed down, but she leaves again tomorrow for another 2 weeks so here's to hoping we can get roll-over and maybe bow down! It's so awesome once you figure stuff out :)

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Sweet jebediah jesus, that's impressive. Wow.
Every time I see one of Cohen's videos I feel a little less adequate hahah.
Very awesome. I should try some rear-end awareness with Asa...she forgets she has anything resembling an rear end and rear-end some days...and she swings it around a lot :P

Siochain
May 24, 2005

I've curbed Asa's quick eating with a trick I got from my aunt - her bowl has a bunch of large, well-rounded river rocks in it. Just mix the food in. As long as the rocks are big enough, they can't swallow them, and if you make sure they are all well-rounded, nothing sharp can get them. About 5 seconds into her first bowl with yummy rocks, she slowed down. She's much better about eating more slowly now, and hasn't hurt herself/damaged her teeth at all. She just scoops around with her nose and schlurps up kibble as she gets to it.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Fraction posted:

Way to go Psyche and Kiri :)

Is there some sort of... thing... about how dogs react to boxers? Lola has been really really good with strange dogs today (greeted two pretty much perfectly, even after aiding drat Jess in going after one), but when we saw a boxer this evening she went crazy - and at a much, much bigger distance than she'd usually react. Like about 20x the distance, and she had her ball with her and even barked through that.

The last and only other time she saw a boxer, she started alarm-barking furiously at a huge distance also. Her usual barks at dogs are only once or twice, but both times upon seeing boxers she gives alarm barks more similar to when someone comes to the door, but louder and slightly deeper in pitch.

What gives? I'm totally confused as to why she reacts to weirdly to 'em.

Asa hates boxers as well, but this is as a result of the community I live in having several really lovely BYB'ers of Boxers, and tons of people with high-energy no-training rear end in a top hat dogs who are absolute little shitheads at the dog park. I also now hate boxers because of this. gently caress boxers, is basically what I'm saying.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

a life less posted:

I also adore the Tricky Treat Ball. You can get them at just about any pet store. I feed my dog most of her meals in them since it makes what would be a 20 second ordeal into a 5-10 minute one.

Finally, if you need to tire your dog out in a hurry, tug is a great way to do it. Minute for minute, it's probably the best short term energy drain there is. Sometimes I'll go nuts with my dog for 10 minutes with the tug when she's really spastic to buy myself some peace and quiet for an hour. YMMV.

QFT on these two points. The treat ball is Asa's default meal delivery system unless we are in a rush, then its food-in-bowl. It extends a 10-15 second vacuum of food into a 5'ish minute bout of happy rolling and gulping. And I've gotten her trained to go from that to her ginormous bone that she's been working on - if I give her the treat ball then sit down at the PC, I can get 2-3 hours of quiet. Until I stand up...then, yeah, a few minutes of tug and then I can get some more quiet :P

Siochain
May 24, 2005

We actually just leave Asa in her crate. We tried leaving her out of it, and she gets horrible seperation anxiety. In the crate, nothing. I've webcam recorded to verify and yeah. Different strokes and all that, but some dogs are really, really happy in their crate, and I'm lucky enough to have one!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

So my loving cat has broken my dog :(
In the last week, the cat has managed to bring chairs crashing down near-ish the dogs crate twice, and some other misc. stuff in the same general vicinity. Asa is now terrified to go into her crate, and shivers and whines horridly if we even think of making her stay in it. This literally started last night - and I did the stupid thing of effectively forcing her into her crate. Now she is just freaked out by it and I feel like the worst dog owner ever.

She is good with her crate at work though, so its not crates in general, just this one. I've moved it, I washed it and changed the cushion in it, I covered it and tucked it into a safe, clean corner. And I spent about an hour feeding her treats and kibble, coated in peanut butter, counter-conditioning her. At least she'll go into the loving thing now, but she just goes in, gets treat, and walks out of it.
Is there anything else I can do? I feel loving horrible. I'm going to leave her loose in a small bedroom for tonight where she (hopefully) can't get into anything, but she's not 100% out-of-crate.

Thanks in advance,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Fraction posted:

Wow, your cat sucks.

I think you're just going to have to keep what you're doing - slowly conditioning to the crate, as if she was new to it again. You can probably pick up speed after a few sessions, but to begin with you're pretty much going to have to take it as if she's a puppy that has never been in there.

I'd also make sure the cat can't get around where her crate will be in future, because you really don't want a repeat of this.

Okay, figured. She slept closed in a bedroom last night just fine, so a few weeks of crate-games and counter-conditioning it is. She actually stepped all the way in the crate to eat her breakfast this morning, so progress, huzzah :P

And yes, I need to figure out somewhere I can at least get some peace and quiet for the dog...small house though, and lovely layout, so I can't really isolate her somewhere. May end up putting it in the "guest bedroom" (aka our crap room), where at least I can close the door. Hopefully give her a few weeks of peace and happiness. Otherwise, just going to keep everything within 20 feet of the crate, well, not there heh.

• Locked thread