Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jessican
Jul 28, 2005

Levitate posted:

How do people usually start getting their dog to ring a bell when they need to go out, and what kind of bell do they use? A desk bell, a string of bells that the dog jingles, etc?

Our pup will generally go to the door if she needs to go out, but sometimes it'll just be a flyby, not a stand at the door and wait type of thing. She also likes to sometimes go over there just to sleep, so we're occasionally left guessing over whether she needs to go out.

So, a bell would be handy...do you just start dinging it when you go out with them, then get them to do it, over and over until they figure it out? Also, is there something you can do so they really only associate it with needing to go out to eliminate, vs just being like "wellll poo poo I'm bored so Imma ring this bell"

We currently have two puppies (2.5 and 3.5 months old), and we wanted them to ring a bell to ask to go outside - our last dog would just throw herself at the sliding door to ask, so we didn't want them to develop this habit. I bought some ribbon and threaded a couple of jingle bells on it, then tied it to the door. You can buy premade ones that are similar (I've seen them at Pet Supplies Plus), but they're ridiculously expensive for what they are. Then when we would take them out, we would ring the bell first, then take them out. After a few days, we started directing their attention to the bell and praising them when they bonked it with their noses, then taking them out. We'd make sure that whenever we heard the bell, even if they just bumped it in passing, that we took them outside. Now they both pretty consistently ring the bell and then wait at the door when they need to go (they're not fully potty trained yet, but they definitely have the idea). I don't know if this is the usual way to teach it, but it seems to have worked for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread