Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

paisleyfox posted:

I actually taught Koji this trick. He's about the same size as Psyche and I don't make him stand for very long, maybe a few seconds. I call it "Meerkat" since that's what he looks like when he stands that way, but you can call it "up" or "stand" or whatever you want. It was really a simple trick to teach, too. I held up a high value treat just out of reach, and he'd have to stand up on his back legs to get to it. I also didn't let it count if he half-assed it and leaned on something (like me or a chair), and he'd have to do it again. Starting pairing it with the word and he'll do it on command now. Took maybe one or two good sessions before he nailed it, probably because it means good things are coming when he does it.

We taught our cat to do this. I'd hold up a treat above his head and when he stood up on his hind legs (with his butt on the ground) I'd click the clicker and then give him the treat. (Edit - actually, after I thought about it I remembered that what we started with was the treat in front of his head and then slowly bring it above him - as he followed the treat with his head he'd sit up on his own. THEN I'd click the cliker.) We combined it with the word "Up" and a snap in the air. The snap is to differentiate it from the other "Up", which is to say "Up" and then pat where you want him to be. For example, if I pat my leg, he'll stand up and put his front paws on my leg, or if I pat the couch and say "Up" he'll get on the couch. Probably shouldn't have used the same word for both, but I figure he's following the hand signals more than the word anyway. And he's not 100% on any of it because he's a goddamn cat and never listens.

He does however, do an "Angry Up" sometimes. My husband will snap his fingers and say "Up" and if Iggy's really pissed off or feeling rambunctious he'll launch himself at my husband's arm and hang on to it with all four legs. He can then swing him up onto his shoulder. We've tried to catch it on video but he won't do it for a camera.

Nione fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread