Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Welcome to the iOS music production thread!

In here, we discuss our favorite apps, production workflows, iOS audio-creations and more :) If you have any suggestions for the OP, just let me know.

You can chat with us and the Musician's Lounge at #goonmusician on irc.synirc.net

OP Overview:
1. News
2. FAQ
3. Goon-recommended Apps
-- 3.1 Instruments
-- 3.2 Sequencers, DAWS and Utilities
-- 3.3 Control Surfaces
-- 3.4 Interfaces
-- 3.5 Tabs & Notes
4. Various Resources
5. Other iOS SA Threads
6. Videos
7. Audio

:siren: News: :siren:

June 28th:
- The Tenori-On iPad App is on sale for $10
- Decluttered the OP, added new stuff, fixed some links, updated App prices and compatibility

:lost: FAQ: :lost:

Q: What's a good all-in-one music studio App?
A: BeatMaker 2 (Universal, $19.99) or NanoStudio (Universal, $14.99).

Q: What's a fun App that I can just pick up and play?
A: GarageBand (Universal, $4.99), Figure (iPhone, $0.99) or iKaossilator (Universal, $19.99).

Q: How do I program a synthesizer?
A: This youtube video gives you a very good overview.

Q: I just want to record audio.
A: Get Hokusai (Universal, FREE with IAP for extra features)

Q: I just want to edit audio clips (e.g. import, trim, copy/paste, export).
A: Again, get Hokusai (Universal, FREE with IAP for extra features).

Q: How do I convert my audio to MP3? All of the Apps just export WAV or AAC/M4A.
A: I shockingly haven't found an App for that, but there is the a way. Get the iCab Mobile Web Browser (Universal, $1.99), which features file upload. Open your audio file in it from another App (e.g. Mail) and upload it here: http://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-mp3. Adjust the settings as necessary and press "convert file". After the conversion has finished, scroll down on the page to "download file again", hold your finger on the link and choose "Download File" in the pop-up menu. Then open the Downloads window (arrow pointing down icon in iCab) and you can access the MP3 file.

Q: How can I upload my audio to Tindeck?
A: Open the file in the iCab Mobile Web Browser (Universal, $1.99) and upload it like you would on a regular computer. Make sure to upload only MP3 files to Tindeck!

Q: So many Apps! How can I keep track of updates and sales?
A: Get the free AppShopper App (Universal), create a user account and put stuff on you "own it" list or wishlist.

Goon-recommended Apps:

:banjo: INSTRUMENTS: :banjo:

KORG iMS-20 - iPad $32.99 // online manual / MS-20 Tutorials (search his videos for "MS-20") / Video: USB MIDI input
"KORG iMS-20 is an analog synth studio; a complete recreation of the Korg MS-20 analog synth, an analog sequencer, a drum machine, a mixer, and even Korg's Kaoss Pad technology. Plus, you can share your songs online via the SoundCloud network!"

KORG iElectribe - iPad $19.99
"Korg’s ELECTRIBE·R has been coveted by dance musicians for ten years running. Today, this indispensable instrument has been reborn as a dedicated iPad app – the KORG iELECTRIBE virtual analog beatbox!"

KORG iKaossilator - Universal $19.99
"Korg has revolutionized the musical instrument world with their dynamic line of Kaoss products, using an intuitive X-Y pad to provide expressive musical control. The palm-sized KAOSSILATOR synthesizer placed modern music-making in the hands of thousands of musicians and non-musicians alike. Now that same excitement has been captured in the iKaossilator app for iPhone!"

Moog Animoog - iPad $29.99
"Animoog, powered by Moog’s new Anisotropic Synth Engine (ASE), is the first professional polyphonic synthesizer designed exclusively for the iPad. ASE allows you to move dynamically through an X/Y space of unique timbres to create a constantly evolving and expressive soundscape."

Propellerhead ReBirth - iPad $14.99 / iPhone $2.99
"ReBirth faithfully emulates dance music's three backbone devices: The Roland TB-303 Bass synth and the Roland TR-808 and 909 drum machines. Combine these with FX units, fully featured pattern sequencers and a gorgeous-looking interface and you're ready to make killer tracks ..."

Propellerhead Figure - iPhone $0.99
"Got three minutes and want to make some music? Figure is the fun music-making app for instant inspiration. Create an addictive beat before the next bus stop or lay down a beefy bass line while waiting in line at the bank. Figure will have you making music within seconds yet is deep enough for endless play on a transatlantic flight."

Native Instruments iMaschine - iPhone $4.99
"Play and record drums on the 16 pads, jam a melody on the keyboard, sing on top of your loops via the built-in audio recorder, or create your own unique sample banks from any source - With iMASCHINE the focus is always on the music. And when you’re done, you can finalize your track in the full version of MASCHINE or MASCHINE MIKRO, or directly upload the loop to SoundCloud and share with your friends."

Yamaha TNR-i - Universal $19.99 / Videos: USB MIDI input and output
(you might want to check out the cheaper "SoundGrid Live" below, if you're new to grid sequencers)
"The iOS version of the world-renowned TENORI-ON brings you a completely new musical interface. Even if you don't know much about music, you can create music intuitively as if you were arranging sounds in space. The music that you see on the 16 × 16 grid of buttons is the music that is performed."

TC-11 Multitouch Synthesizer - iPad $29.99 / made by goon lord funk / ML thread
"TC-11 is the only fully programmable, professional multi-touch synthesizer for the iPad. Choose from the 64 included presets, or build your own using touch controls, device motion, and on-board modules. Create music with the next evolution of synthesizer control!"

DM1 - The Drum Machine - iPad $4.99 / iPhone $0.99
"DM1 is an advanced vintage Drum Machine. It turns your iPad into a fun and creative beat making machine.
Easy and fast to use, loaded with 64 superb electronic drum kits and beautiful hyper-realistic graphics, DM1 has been designed for a lot of instant fun. "

Camel Audio's Alchemy Synth Mobile - Universal FREE (with $14.99 IAP for full version)
"This is the iOS version of Camel Audio's award-winning Alchemy synthesizer which can be heard on thousands of records and films by world-class artists."

Sunrizer Synth - iPad $4.99
"Sunrizer synth is a virtual analog synthesizer that takes the definition of iOs synthesizer to the next level. Thanks to carefully designed architecture and heavy usage of coprocessor it blurs the boundaries between iOs and hardware synthesizers."

Reactable Mobile - Universal $9.99
"Improvise and create music playfully with the Reactable mobile. Based on the award winning Reactable as used by Björk on her Volta Tour, this application brings the full creative power of the famous interactive instrument onto your mobile device."

SoundGrid Live - Universal $2.99
"SoundGrid Live! is powerful yet easy to use Tenori-on-like matrix sequencer suitable for professional musicians as well as for casual entertainment. It's based on ideas and user interface elements of popular SoundGrid application but adds more performance modes and other features which makes it much more suitable for live performances."

ThumbJam - Universal $8.99
"ThumbJam is a powerful musical performance experience. You get over 30 high-quality real instruments multi-sampled exclusively for this app. Hundreds of included scales allow you to effortlessly play in any style from rock to classical, whether you are a musical novice or a seasoned professional."

:science: SEQUENCERS, DAWS & UTILITIES: :science:

GarageBand - Universal $4.99
"GarageBand turns your iPad into a collection of Touch Instruments and a full-featured recording studio — so you can make music anywhere you go. Use Multi-Touch gestures to play pianos, organs, guitars, drums, and basses on your iPad. They sound and play like their counterparts, but let you do things you could never do on a real instrument."

Beatmaker 2 - Universal $19.99 // Website / Sonicstate Video Review
"Build your own virtual home-studio creating multiple instruments, connecting them to a full-range of audio effects. Compose, record, arrange and transform your ideas into complete songs, ready to be shared with others. Import your own sounds or use the included sound library: more than 170 high-quality instruments and drum presets from synthesizers to realistic orchestral sounds. You can even import songs from your iPod library!"

NanoStudio - Universal $14.99
"NanoStudio is a virtual recording studio for iPhone/iPod Touch. It has 4 virtual analogue synths, 16 sample trigger pads, a comprehensive sequencer, a sample editor, a mixer and 10 effects units all integrated into a single application."

MultiTrack DAW - Universal $9.99
"Release your creativity with up to 24 high quality audio tracks. Record multiple takes, harmonies, solos, and experiments. No more worrying about bouncing tracks - each instrument can have its own. More cowbell? No problem!"

SunVox - Universal $4.99 // Website (with download links to free Win/OSX/Linux/etc. versions)
"It is a small and fast multi-platform pattern based sequencer (tracker) with modular synthesizers. With this program you can compose music anywhere. On any device. With any OS."

Tabletop - iPad FREE (with IAP)
"The heart of Tabletop is a modular environment where you can mix and match different devices. Select from more than 25 devices including samplers, mixers, effects, sequencers and more. Buy only the gear you need from an expanding catalog."

Rhythm Studio - Universal $3.99
"Rhythm Studio is a a must have app for musicians! It is a premier universal electronic music making app, boasting richly detailed graphics and incredible sound, with impeccable recreations of classic synths and drum machines along with other amazing studio hardware."

Hokusai Audio Editor - Universal FREE (IAP for various extra features like AudioCopy/Paste) // Website
"Hokusai is a multitrack audio editor for iPhone or iPad. Record or import a track, and make it sound the way you want it to: not just trimming the ends, but full cut, copy, paste and delete, and a suite of filters and special effects available. Edit many tracks side-by-side, mix them together, and export to wave or mp4 format — then transfer them to your computer via USB or Dropbox, or send them to another app on your device."

Everyday Looper - Universal $5.99 // Crazy video overview of the App
"Everyday Looper allows you to record 4 musical phrases - 6 on an iPad - and loop them right away. You can then mix and merge them on the fly. Thanks to the metronome (click track) and the auto start/stop of recording (quantized recording), reachable in the tools and options menu, it's suited for two-handed instruments too."

Moog Filtatron - Universal $7.99
"The Moog Filtatron is a realtime audio filter and effects engine. Use sound from any of three sources: Line/microphone input, Sampler, or Built-in oscillator."

:f5: CONTROL SURFACES: :f5:

MIDI Designer - iPad Pro $18.99 / iPad Lite FREE
"Imagine the perfect MIDI rig. Create it with MIDI Designer on iPad. MIDI Designer is the ultimate way to control hardware and software synths, effects, and DAWs (like Ableton, Cubase, Reaper, Logic). And, via the "Pedalboards" feature, MIDI Designer is the ultimate hardware-software hybrid. "

touchAble - iPad $24.99 // Website
"... control Ableton Live 8 from your iPad. Navigate around your live set with the touch of a finger, tweak Lives mixer, instruments and fx with full automapping and unlimited tracks & parameters."

TouchOSC - Universal $4.99
"The application allows to remote control and receive feedback from software and hardware that implements the OSC protocol such as Apple Logic Pro/Express, Renoise, Pure Data, Max/MSP/Jitter, Max for Live, OSCulator, VDMX, Resolume Avenue 3, Modul8, Plogue Bidule, Reaktor, Quartz Composer, Vixid VJX16-4, Supercollider, FAW Circle, vvvv, Derivative TouchDesigner, Isadora and others."

MiDi-to - iPad $7.99 // Website
"MiDi-to is a wireless DJ MiDi controller designed for Serato Scratch Live™. It is the first iPad MiDi controller designed for Serato that does not need any additional software to work. MiDi-to takes advantage of the new Core MIDI framework available with iOS 4.2 which minimizes setup and latency."

:roboluv: INTERFACES: :roboluv:

Alesis iO Dock - Website / Macworld Review / Sonicstate Video Review
"The iO Dock (patent pending) is the first device that enables anyone with an iPad or iPad 2 to create, produce, and perform music with virtually any pro audio gear or instruments. The iO Dock is a universal docking station specifically designed for the iPad and iPad 2, and it gives musicians, recording engineers, and music producers the connectivity they need to create and perform with iPad. "

AKAI SynthStation49 - Website
"SynthStation49 is the most advanced, intuitive music controller designed specifically for use with the iPad or iPad 2 and the first true iPad performance tool for musicians. Working seamlessly with Akai Professional’s heralded SynthStation software, SynthStation49 provides unparalleled music creation capabilities, including direct in-app MIDI recording from its velocity-sensitive keyboard, nine MPC-style drum pads and array of transport controls. In addition to its integration with the SynthStation app, SynthStation49 is also completely iOS CoreMIDI compatible, making it instantly compatible with dozens of music apps already in the App Store and hundreds more on the way. "

Apogee Jam - Website
"JAM is a premium digital converter featuring PureDIGITAL technology which delivers your guitar’s true tone to your iPad or Mac without compromise. JAM is the first high quality interface that makes a digital connection to both iOS devices and Mac. You will notice the sonic difference between JAM and other similar products immediately."

Peavey AmpKit / AmpKit LiNK - Universal FREE / Universal Pro $19.99 // Website (with retailer search for the interface box, priced around $40.00)
"... AmpKit, an unparalleled guitar amp and effects iPhone application, and AmpKit LiNK, a high fidelity audio interface for the iPhone, iPod touch (except first-generation iPod touch) and iPad."

AmpliTube / AmpliTube iRig - iPhone FREE / iPhone LE $2.99 / iPhone Pro $19.99 / iPad FREE / iPad Pro $19.99 // Website (with purchase option for the interface dongle, priced $39.99) / Sonicstate Video Review
"Play, practice and record anytime, anywhere with world-class guitar and bass tones right in the palm of your hand. AmpliTube for iPhone gives you incredibly ultra-realistic tones and effects, plus full multitrack recording capabilities in a convenient mobile app, all from the leaders in analog gear modeling software for professional recording studios."

:spergin: TABS & NOTES: :spergin:

Symphony - iPhone $4.99 / iPad $14.99
"Symphony is a multi-track music notation editor that allows you to compose and playback songs from where you are. You can easily import in any MIDI file from the internet and edit every track and note or just start from scratch. Once you done working on a piece, you can export it and continue working on it in whichever program you like."

TabToolkit - Universal $3.99
"TabToolkit is an incredibly powerful guitar tablature and music notation viewer, now with multi-track playback! An essential tool for learning and practicing music, TabToolkit includes an audio synthesis engine so you can listen to and control the audio for all tracks individually."

Guitar Pro - Universal $7.99
"As a mobile player tie-in to Arobas Music’s famous tablature software package, Guitar Pro for iPod touch/iPhone/iPad is the ideal companion for you to read and play your scores any time, anywhere!"

:eng101: Various Resources: :eng101:
- Chat with the Musician's Lounge at #goonmusician on irc.synirc.net
- "Synth Secrets" articles on soundonsound.com (scroll to the bottom of the page to the first article from May 1999 and work your way up)
- Yoozer's "How to (re)create a sound" thread: Go here to learn your synthesis basics. (lots of images have disappeared there unfortunately)
- AppShopper's "music" category: Browse iOS music apps, put them on your wish/watch-list and get notifications when they're updated and/or on sale.
- lord funk's TC-11 thread

:pranke: Other iOS related threads :pranke:
- The iOS Apps Megathread
- iPad Dedicated App Thread
- iPhone Ringtones

:monocle: Videos :monocle:
- How to program a synthesizer

- USB MIDI input and output with Yamaha's Tenori-On (TNR-i) iOS App
- Attaching a USB MIDI Keyboard to the iPad

- Review of the Alesis IO Dock by Sonicstate TV
- Review of the M-Audio Keystation Mini 32 USB Keyboard by Sonicstate TV
- Review of the Beatmaker 2 App by Sonicstate TV
- Review of the iRig & Amplutube App by Sonicstate TV

- Crazy video overview of Everyday Looper by the App's developer

:toot: Audio: :toot:
- Nanomaquina: a free EP made 100% in NanoStudio on an iPhone 4
- My SoundCloud where I occasionally upload the tracks I made with iOS apps
- Comparison between ReBirth's and Rhythm Studio's TR303 sound

If you have some audio for the OP, let me know :)

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Those look amazing. I'm only sporting an iPod touch myself... Which among those would work for me?

Edit: whoops, I guess you already labeled them with that info.

One app I love is Flare, which is a scratching app. Since I don't (yet) have Technics to scratch with, I've found this can make for a pretty impressive facsimile, given the platform. Here's a quick example I made:

http://www.electric-bungalow.com/Flare Example.mp3

Shovelbearer fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 11, 2010

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
AmpKit and AmpKit LINK is great for guitar players.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Shovelbearer posted:

Those look amazing. I'm only sporting an iPod touch myself... Which among those would work for me?

I'd try ReBirth. Here's a video of it on the iPhone/iPod. It looks just like on the iPad, just with panning and zooming around.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Great OP! I endorse all the apps that you mention.

If you want to play with samples on a pocket-sized device (iPhone or iPod Touch), then I recommend Beatmaker. http://www.intua.net/

It's really slick. You can tweak your samples, tap poo poo out on MPC-style pads and arrange poo poo in a step sequencer.

Sound Trends makes a bunch of iOS music stuff. http://www.soundtrends.com/

Looptastic HD is cool if you want to gently caress around with sampled loops (duh). It's geared toward live fiddling, and it has a slick interface that utilizes the touchscreen well. It's nice to move away from virtual knobs and stuff.

They also have Studio.HD, which is a whole crazy DAW program. I haven't tried it, but it looks pretty cool.

All of the Sound Trends apps want to sell you loop libraries, but they also let you load in your own poo poo.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

FLX posted:

I'd try ReBirth. Here's a video of it on the iPhone/iPod. It looks just like on the iPad, just with panning and zooming around.

Yeah, I'll almost definitely get that, if nothing else, for nostalgia. Rebirth was the software that got me into making synth-oriented music in the first place.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

timb posted:

AmpKit and AmpKit LINK is great for guitar players.

Holy crap, this is amazing! Here's the link to the Ampkit website. I'd love to make more music, but I just haven't got the time for it anymore. I haven't re-stringed my guitars in like a year ...

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Also wanted to comment on this:

FLX posted:

iElectribe on the other hand is refreshingly easy to use and great fun too. I haven't gotten much into ReBirth yet, but I think once I do, iElectribe will become very shallow quickly.

For percussion, I'd say that the Electribe is deeper than anything in ReBirth.

ReBirth is great in its own way for simulating those classic Roland machines. There are few sounds on this Earth that fill me with as much joy as the 808 cowbell, and the 303s are certainly a lot of fun to play with.

It's more feasible to make a whole song in ReBirth than in iElectribe, but there's no reason to limit yourself to one app, when you can bounce loops out of both and put them together in a sample-based app. :) (Or use an actual computer.)

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

tentaclesex posted:

Also wanted to comment on this:

For percussion, I'd say that the Electribe is deeper than anything in ReBirth.

ReBirth is great in its own way for simulating those classic Roland machines. There are few sounds on this Earth that fill me with as much joy as the 808 cowbell, and the 303s are certainly a lot of fun to play with.

It's more feasible to make a whole song in ReBirth than in iElectribe, but there's no reason to limit yourself to one app, when you can bounce loops out of both and put them together in a sample-based app. :) (Or use an actual computer.)

You're right. I did have a feeling of being on thin ice when I wrote the above :D I guess I haven't really thought about exporting loops into other applications yet, since I've only been using the apps in short bursts on the couch, away from my computer.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Maybe I'm just too into the status quo, but I couldn't see myself seriously getting into any of these apps until there was a way to get audio and synchronization in and out of them. Audio is probably not too hard but I highly doubt that if there's a MIDI interface for iPad, that most of these programs support MTC or MIDI clock.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

RivensBitch posted:

Maybe I'm just too into the status quo, but I couldn't see myself seriously getting into any of these apps until there was a way to get audio and synchronization in and out of them. Audio is probably not too hard but I highly doubt that if there's a MIDI interface for iPad, that most of these programs support MTC or MIDI clock.

Apparently we get a big IOS update tomorrow that should give us MIDI over wifi.. whatever that entails.

The MS 20 is ridiculously good. Same goes for the iElectribe. Sucks that all of us that bought ReBirth a few months back (after the iPad release) only to have a bigger version put out with no update rebate. Bleh.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

RivensBitch posted:

There are/will be some options for MIDI. http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/11/on-ipad-midi/

There are already a couple of portable studio apps that let you record audio. You only get one stereo in, but you can record one track at a time and keep adding stuff.

Currently, I think these apps make the iPad a good on-the-go scratch pad that lets you play around with ideas and noodle around. If you come up with a sound or melody that you like, you're generally given some means of exporting it to use in your real setup.

I don't think it's going to replace your actual studio any time soon, though it could have some great uses there as a control surface at least. I think there's a lot of potential with stuff like this.

edit: midipad looks pretty drat neat: http://www.midipad.de/Website/midipad.html

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 12, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Ableton users, look at TouchAble :fap:

Atillo
Jan 9, 2007

I find ThumbJam pretty good for messing with melodies. Not good for recording but quick and easy when you just want to focus on experimenting with a tune.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Shovelbearer posted:

One app I love is Flare, which is a scratching app.
I've been playing around with Baby Scratch, which is free. I have absolutely no scratching talent so it's great to be able to play around with something like that.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Updated the OP.

RivensBitch posted:

From what I've heard, the control surfaces are very good and usable already. The instruments are mostly restricted to audio output though and exporting audio files to a computer/other apps is also a real hassle in my opinion. I prefer apps that offer more complete packages like the iMS-20, where I can create a whole song from scratch ... and not leave the couch to sync the iPad :haw:

SushiRawk
Aug 22, 2004
Mugician is a great app geared towards guitarists...it's a little confusing at first, and the ui is very barebones(for low latency). Its basically a synth. You can bend notes and it lets you get into quarter tone music....if that's not your thing you can adjust the slider to lock to frets for a more western feel. The dev is a really cool guy, and has a page with some instructions up, I think you get to it from the app support link in the store

Here is a vid of Jordan Rudess from dream theater messing around with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rVpuSj75rI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

SushiRawk fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 12, 2010

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The only thing I really want from an app is a barebones, put your own mp3s in, play them with a pad sampler. The fact I havent found one yet makes me suspect theres some logistical reason it isnt possible on iOS. Maybe memory constraints, maybe apple just dont like the idea of any app that triggers mp3s that isnt itunes.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

quote:

Damon Albarn has told NME that he has been recording a new Gorillaz album on his iPad.

Speaking in this week's issue (cover date November 13), on UK newsstands now and available digitally worldwide, Albarn said he has been working on a follow-up to 'Plastic Beach' while on tour with the band.

"I've made it on an iPad – I hope I'll be making the first record on an iPad," he said. "I fell in love with my iPad as soon as I got it, so I've made a completely different kind of record."
http://www.nme.com/news/gorillaz/53816

If this is actually true I'd be interested to know what program he used, and if any of the original iPad recordings are going to be on the official release, or if he was just using it to get rough ideas down.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Three Red Lights posted:

The only thing I really want from an app is a barebones, put your own mp3s in, play them with a pad sampler. The fact I havent found one yet makes me suspect theres some logistical reason it isnt possible on iOS. Maybe memory constraints, maybe apple just dont like the idea of any app that triggers mp3s that isnt itunes.
Should be possible, and there was a sort of constraint I guess. Up until iOS 4.1 (and 4.2 on iPad) music library access was limited to just playing the music in the background, so to import files the user would have to do it manually separately either through wifi transfer or iTunes file sharing (...which also came with iOS 4 I think). So it could be done with 3.x, it's just a pain in the rear end for the user. I'd expect more music apps that use your existing stuff once 4.2 has been out for a while.

place
Jun 19, 2008

place fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 10, 2017

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
I have an iPhone and these apps are really making me want to pick up an iPad. I played around with the Electribe App on my friends iPad was really impressed with it.

Panget Ka
Oct 26, 2010

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
I didn't see the app SunVox mentioned by OP, but for 4 euro its a really nice "tracker" clone. There is also a free windows, mac and linux version on their website.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Updated the OP.

Panget Ka posted:

I didn't see the app SunVox mentioned by OP, but for 4 euro its a really nice "tracker" clone. There is also a free windows, mac and linux version on their website.
I'll try this out some time. I guess the interface only looks horrible to me, because I'm used to seeing those realistic knob and button graphics, which are probably wasting a lot of screen space anyway. It was a funny reaction though, because I bet if a layman would look at the iMS-20 he'd have the exact same reaction as with SunVox.

By the way, what's the difference between a tracker and a sequencer?

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

FLX posted:

Updated the OP.

I'll try this out some time. I guess the interface only looks horrible to me, because I'm used to seeing those realistic knob and button graphics, which are probably wasting a lot of screen space anyway. It was a funny reaction though, because I bet if a layman would look at the iMS-20 he'd have the exact same reaction as with SunVox.

A tracker is actually a kind of sequencer, traditionally sample based. Wikipedia has a good article about them.

I've been using iSequence on my iPad and like it a lot. It's sample based and has a weird sort of sequencer that I really like, and recently got a bunch of nice effects. You can import your own samples and mess with them in the instrument editor interface, adding loop points and ADSR settings and whatnot. Really nice.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Like a complete man-child I went and bought the iMS-20 and it's completely confusing. I also bought the Electribe a little while ago and I know a little more about that, but I find myself messing around with both rather than actually doing anything constructive - is there a good how-to anywhere online?

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
An '04 Mac user from the UK. What's worse?

wacky posted:

You didn't list TouchOSC. That, on the iPad, with Logic running on the same network is heaven. Suddenly, every softsynth can be played with like a real synth (you actual fiddle with things).

Plus, full mixing capabilities and everything seamlessly designed for Logic (although people can make their own layouts for other things)

I bought that today and I am still trying to configure it to work with Logic. :( The prospect is rather exciting though.

Panget Ka
Oct 26, 2010

FLX posted:

Updated the OP.

If you're not used to these tracker displays from around when dinosaurs roamed the earth (c64 and Amiga era in my case) they don't make sense at all when compared to a modern sequencer layout.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

The Will posted:

Like a complete man-child I went and bought the iMS-20 and it's completely confusing. I also bought the Electribe a little while ago and I know a little more about that, but I find myself messing around with both rather than actually doing anything constructive - is there a good how-to anywhere online?

Yes, there is! For a really (really!) great general synthesizer how-to, check out Yoozer's "How to (re)create a sound" Thread. After going through page 1 there, you should understand most of the knobs on almost any synth out there. Then check the YouTube channel I posted in the OP next to the iMS-20 app, and search the guy's videos for "MS-20". He has seven videos dedicated to the original MS-20 synth, where he explains the control panel and the patch panel in detail. Figuring out the iMS-20 sequencer and drum machine on your own then should be easy. If not, check the app's online manual.

EDIT: Yoozer's thread will also make you understand the iElectribe better and you can access the it's online help from inside the app under "help", in the hidden menu bar at the top of the screen.

Panget Ka posted:

If you're not used to these tracker displays from around when dinosaurs roamed the earth (c64 and Amiga era in my case) they don't make sense at all when compared to a modern sequencer layout.

This reminds me: When I was a kid, me and my dad sat down in front of our c64 once and he wanted to try and create a "Tractor Sound", as it was described in the C64's manual. He typed in a huge wall of text from the book and at some point pressed enter and suddenly this loud-rear end saw-wave sound came booming from the TV, which made us jump in our seats. I guess we expected a mild motor humming sound and maybe some farm noises :haw: That was the first and last time we tried to make "music" on this computer.

EDIT 2: Updated the OP with iSequence. If anybody has ideas (or cares) for better categories let me know, since I'm mixing instruments with "utilities" I guess.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 14, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you're interested in Ampkit, note that IK Multimedia also has an Amplitube app available. Similar deal, also uses a dongle.

Similarly, if you have an interest in iSequence, but would like your own synths and/or a more typical sequencer, there's Nano Studio -- currently only available in an iPhone version, but works pretty well on an iPad at 2x scaling.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If you're interested in Ampkit, note that IK Multimedia also has an Amplitube app available. Similar deal, also uses a dongle.

Similarly, if you have an interest in iSequence, but would like your own synths and/or a more typical sequencer, there's Nano Studio -- currently only available in an iPhone version, but works pretty well on an iPad at 2x scaling.

I'm pretty surprised this is the first mention of NanoStudio. I've played with it and it's an impressive implementation of a full DAW+VSTs...for your phone. At $15 it's a little pricey for an ios app, but its interface is among the better ones.

Also, FourTrack. Does exactly what it claims. Supports AudioCopy and the like for transferring audio between programs. Like, say, NanoStudio (though I think you have to paste it as a single sample rather than into the sequencer).

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

kaptainkaffeine posted:

I'm pretty surprised this is the first mention of NanoStudio. I've played with it and it's an impressive implementation of a full DAW+VSTs...for your phone. At $15 it's a little pricey for an ios app, but its interface is among the better ones.

Also, FourTrack. Does exactly what it claims. Supports AudioCopy and the like for transferring audio between programs. Like, say, NanoStudio (though I think you have to paste it as a single sample rather than into the sequencer).

Yeah, I can't believe Nano Studio was not brought up more. I have not used many iOS music apps, so I can't really compare it to other offerings, but I'm a big Ableton User and it just felt right to me. The UI is really well laid out for the most part; you can operate very quickly and it rarely seems like the interface is fighting you. I'm pretty bad at actually playing but the editing parts interface is highly tuned for touch - I can select (and mutate) selections quickly and accurately.

My favorite little feature is related to recording. Nano Studio lets you instantly switch between record and play mode seamlessly, so you can audition changes easily - which is nice. But, like I said, I'm not a great player, but when I hear playback I know what's right and wrong. If you tap the recording button while recording it will enter an x mode where it will erase any notes already recorded when you play that key. So if you have a beat that is almost right but you hear a stray note in the middle, rather than hand editing it you can switch to this mode and press that key when you want it removed! Get rid of whole lines by just holding it down for a loop's duration. Perhaps not as useful to many, but it really shows the thought that has gone into this system.

I've really enjoyed the synth included, the drum pad is full featured and includes some good samples, and the developer is very active and seems intent on updating often. It's been an exceptional creative tool. I have never bought anything over 5 dollars on the app store before and this is my favorite purchase. Check it out soon, $15 dollars for like 80% of Ableton!

Panget Ka
Oct 26, 2010

If you're looking for a portable Ableton clone, there is also Electrify for the iPad. It's a bit basic and sample based only, but functional.

Not sure it was worth the 12 euro though, I recommend waiting for a sale

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

I'll update the OP with the new suggestions later. In the meantime, here's my first track done in ReBirth for iPad: http://snd.sc/dDib4T

EDIT: Updated the OP.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 16, 2010

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Thanks for this thread, just got an ipad and SunVox and train rides fly by. This is awesome for anyone familiar with trackers, although I can understand the flip side that if you aren't, it's frustrating as hell.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I was going to post about this app earlier but I completely forgot the name, until now! SoundYeah, looks like a basic drum pad app but you can do some stuff to modify the audio playback within the squares. Doesn't sound like it supports importing and sampling from your music library, but like I mentioned before it should be possible with iOS 4 now...just a matter of it finally coming out and for the devs to support it.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
OP has the link to beatmaker's site where the link to touchAble's should be.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Shovelbearer posted:

OP has the link to beatmaker's site where the link to touchAble's should be.
Whoops. Fixed that.

So, does anybody else want to post some of their iOS-made music? ;)

tut
Nov 4, 2004

http://tenmillionbats.tumblr.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuQl8T6ZHmE

Preview for another iOS app that runs 4.2

• Locked thread