Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Homie S posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuQl8T6ZHmE

Preview for another iOS app that runs 4.2

Oh snap, you can access your music library for stuff like this in 4.2! Hell yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Numark iDJ for iPad is on sale at the moment for $1.99. I haven't tried it, but it looks very good for the price. You can import songs directly from the iPod app and there's a beat-matching algorithm too.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

FLX posted:

Numark iDJ for iPad is on sale at the moment for $1.99. I haven't tried it, but it looks very good for the price. You can import songs directly from the iPod app and there's a beat-matching algorithm too.
Looks like that was a mistake, now it's 4.99.

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I need help =(

Is there any way to record sound output from an iPad app to a .wav or MP3 ?

I got Groovemaker for the iPad, it's pretty awesome and there's some cool stuff you can do with realtime mixing.

However, the music export option sucks, because the loops have to be full length and you can't shorten them (ie if you add an instrument you have to wait 32 beats in the sequencer).

I don't have the USB adapter for the iPad, only the default cable and a PC with Windows 7 =/

I've tried looking for apps that record sound but I only find voice note recorders... The app would have to record all outgoing sound from the iPad.

This is on iOS 4.2 if it matters, it must be possible since it has multitasking?

Mex fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 25, 2010

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Mex posted:

I need help =(

Is there any way to record sound output from an iPad app to a .wav or MP3 ?
How about using a stereo audio cable, connecting the iPad's headphone out to the computer's line in and recording your session with Audacity or the Windows sound recorder?

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl

FLX posted:

How about using a stereo audio cable, connecting the iPad's headphone out to the computer's line in and recording your session with Audacity or the Windows sound recorder?

That's the simplest way but I was hoping for some app that could record sound directly from the ipad, instead of dealing with more cables...

I'm wondering if those note recording apps would work with the multitasking, I'll let you know but if anyone knows of an app like that I'd appreciate it, thanks!

edit: I'm guessing Apple wouldn't like that because I guess you could record stuff from iTunes or something...

Mex fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 26, 2010

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

The KORG iElectribe for iPad is on sale again for $9.99.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Homie S posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuQl8T6ZHmE

Preview for another iOS app that runs 4.2
This app came out recently, yesterday I think, $20.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

japtor posted:

This app came out recently, yesterday I think, $20.

I bought it.

So far it's a fun app to play with. Very simple to use, seems fairly polished, and has the standard iPod interface when it comes to music selection (which I like personally). The beat syncing tool is mostly on point when you have songs of similar BPM, but once you start foraying into larger voids it obviously doesn't work as well. What's nice is that the app also has bump buttons and pitch faders on the decks to help out if the app itself doesn't get the sync right. Latency also seems okay to me in terms of virtual vinyl manipulation, or at least better than I expected. The cons are you need a splitter for the headphone jack to actually use the pre-cue feature it has. I guess that just requires a trip to radioshack, although I'm sure Apple sells it at their stores for a super inflated price. What they did not program in or whatever is to take advantage of using the iPod connector to RCA input dongle to pump audio and then use the headphones as your cue. I think that would have made this my favorite app to date if it did that. I need to find the dev's email address or something and ask him to maybe think about including that in a future update.

Now for 20 dollars? Meh. The fact that you kinda need a splitter to actually do something halfway serious on it makes it a pricey event; Just dropping twenty bucks on it to fool around with seems like a bit much. This is definitely an app to grab if/when it goes on sale.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
After failing to understand Ableton or Reason I thought I'd give NanoStudio a go for iPhone. Bloody hell. It is absolutely fantastic. Taught me all I'd failed to grasp about MIDI and I've been creating tracks with it on the way to work which is just awesome.

Out of interest, fellow NanoStudio users, what desktop DAW does it most resemble cos now I feel I know more about DAW workflows I'd be able to tackle one of the big dogs again.

hamza
Mar 3, 2007
Well, for what it's worth, you can download a desktop version of NanoStudio. Not sure what the exporting/saving options are.

And, on playing with it, it seems pretty much impossible to hit multiple keys at the same time which renders it kind of useless.

hamza fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 8, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

hamza posted:

And, on playing with it, it seems pretty much impossible to hit multiple keys at the same time which renders it kind of useless.
Just to let you know you're not doing anything wrong, the NanoStudio download page says the PC version is restricted to single keys.

Radnor
Dec 11, 2002

Octoparrot is watching you.
ThumbJam is down to $0.99 for one day only (Tuesday), so grab it while you can before it jumps back up to $6.99.

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
Reactable Mobile, based off the Reactable software

http://www.reactable.com/products/mobile/

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Radnor posted:

ThumbJam is down to $0.99 for one day only (Tuesday), so grab it while you can before it jumps back up to $6.99.

Holy poo poo. This is like a much more useful version of Bebot.

I was just playing chord changes with my left hand on my piano while waving my iphone around wildly with my right hand playing some mad thumbjam saxophone solo.

I never knew music could be this dorky. :)

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

SunVox is on sale for $ 0.99 too.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

I love how the last three apps linked all have quotes from Jordan Rudess. He's become some kind of unofficial iOS music ambassador.

hamza
Mar 3, 2007
And all of them are a riff on 'if you are serious about making music, this app stands out among the rest.' Payola?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

RobattoJesus posted:

I love how the last three apps linked all have quotes from Jordan Rudess. He's become some kind of unofficial iOS music ambassador.
I'm Commander Rudess, and this is my favorite app on the Citadel!

[/Mass Effect 2 Joke]

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

MiDi-to for iPad was released today for $4.99, which is a controller app for Serato Scratch using the CoreMIDI capabilities of iOS 4.2.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
Intua, the company that made BeatMaker, has posted a feature list for BeatMaker 2, and it's pretty impressive. It's NanoStudio on steroids, basically. Hope it comes out soon.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

toxick posted:

Intua, the company that made BeatMaker...

intua posted:

- Native iPad version coming soon as a free update

poo poo, negro. That's all you had to say.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Welp, cant wait to start messing around with BeatMaker.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
BeatMaker 2 sounds really badass. It doesn't include a synth (just a sample based synth) but pair it with something like Nlog Synth or iMS-20 and you've got a drat good production setup.

Really though, something people seem to be glossing over in BM2's feature list is

quote:

High quality time-stretching and pitch-shifting algorithm

This will be the first time high quality time-stretching and pitch-shifting has ever been included in an iOS app. BeatMaker 2 could very well be iOS's Ableton Live-level DAW if Intua really delivers what they're promising.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
This is great, I'm getting an iPad for christmas and have been looking for information on music apps but none as concise as this

Gonna make so much music while I'm down at the beach

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
The thing that totally kills usability of these iOS apps is having to deal with itunes.

I've spent about 9 hours straight so far trying to copy a sample library over to one of these music apps on my shiny new ipad, and oh boy is that fun when itunes crashes after moving 20-30 files or so. Multiply that over ~3000 loop samples to get an estimate of how many times I've had to restart this POS program because apple won't just let me directly access my device like a flash drive.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

There was an update for the KORG iMS-20 today, claiming support for external MIDI keyboards and drum pads, connected with the iPad camera connection kit. Looks like I finally have to get on of those kits. Has anybody who has the hardware tried it out already?

HotCanadianChick posted:

The thing that totally kills usability of these iOS apps is having to deal with itunes.

I've spent about 9 hours straight so far trying to copy a sample library over to one of these music apps on my shiny new ipad, and oh boy is that fun when itunes crashes after moving 20-30 files or so. Multiply that over ~3000 loop samples to get an estimate of how many times I've had to restart this POS program because apple won't just let me directly access my device like a flash drive.
Which app are you talking about? Copying that many files does still seem like overkill for the iPad :-/

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

FLX posted:

There was an update for the KORG iMS-20 today, claiming support for external MIDI keyboards and drum pads, connected with the iPad camera connection kit. Looks like I finally have to get on of those kits. Has anybody who has the hardware tried it out already?

Which app are you talking about? Copying that many files does still seem like overkill for the iPad :-/

studio.HD

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

HotCanadianChick posted:

I was on the verge of returning my iPod Touch when I discovered CopyTrans. I haven't touched iTunes in over a week and am now immensely pleased with my product. CopyTrans allows click-and-drag, and let's me bypass using the painfully terrible iTunes library.

I have a question:
I'm interested in an iPod Touch app for recording. I'm looking for 4-track capabilities. Guitar effects don't interest me. What's the consensus for the best recording app?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

ProperCoochie posted:

I was on the verge of returning my iPod Touch when I discovered CopyTrans. I haven't touched iTunes in over a week and am now immensely pleased with my product. CopyTrans allows click-and-drag, and let's me bypass using the painfully terrible iTunes library.

Yeah, I should really pay $19.99 to fix something that should work right out of the box.

poo poo like this is among the reasons I refuse to ever own a Mac, despite how much I would love to work with Logic (which at one point had been released for Wintel machines before Apple, being the shipload of cocks they are, bought out Emagic to ensure it stayed Mac-only).

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 20, 2010

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

HotCanadianChick posted:

Yeah, I should really pay $19.99 to fix something that should work right out of the box.

:confused: CopyTrans is free.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

ProperCoochie posted:

:confused: CopyTrans is free.

Not according to their website:

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

HotCanadianChick posted:

Not according to their website:

According to their website the free version the same as the paid version, but is limited to 100 songs and 250 songs total.

I would try it out, but they don't have a mac version. Not that I need it because iTunes never crashes on the Mac. (obviously some kind of Steve Jobs conspiracy)

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
An app called Rhythm Trax is coming soon for $5.99. This is the successor of a sequencer for the PSP called Rhythm. Features list makes it sound nice. UI looks a little strange though.

ascheapaschewinggum
May 27, 2010

i hate myself and want to zizek
So the Gorillaz iPad-produced album is out and it's really good and has a list of every app used in its creation.

http://thefall.gorillaz.com/

quote:

All tracks written and performed by Gorillaz using the iPad and additional instruments: Korg Vocoder, Ukelele, Microkorg, Omnichord, Moog Voyager, Melodica, Guitar, Piano, Korg Monotron. Except track 13 written and performed by Gorillaz and Bobby Womack. Recorded between Montreal and Vancouver over 32 days on the Gorillaz North American Tour 2010

All the live instruments they used you could most probably roughly approximate in other iOS apps, I should think.

quote:

iPad Applications Used: Speak It! / SoundyThingie / Mugician / Solo Synth / Synth / Funk Box / Gliss / AmpliTube / Xenon / iElectribe / BS-16i / M3000 HD / Cleartune / iOrgel HD / Olsynth / StudioMiniXI / BassLine / Harmonizer / Dub Siren Pro / Moog Filatron

Although I would guess the guitar samples at least came through AmpliTube. Props to Damon Albarn for really getting into this. Impressive haul of apps but probably costs less than the start-up software for a home studio.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

ascheapaschewinggum posted:

So the Gorillaz iPad-produced album is out and it's really good and has a list of every app used in its creation.

http://thefall.gorillaz.com/

That sounds really good indeed. I'd like to read more on their workflow. I suppose they created the song parts in the apps and mixed them together on a computer. Is there a way to legally download the album?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

FLX posted:

Is there a way to legally download the album?

Join the fanclub, then it's available for download, IIRC.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ascheapaschewinggum posted:

Impressive haul of apps but probably costs less than the start-up software for a home studio.
Currently sells for $81.84 plus whatever they paid for Amplitube. And $19.99 of that was just for iElectribe.

Yeah, I'm bored.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Happy new year everyone! :toot:

I got a little into SunVox over the holidays and made this track on the train ride home. I also finished another ReBirth track :)

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

FLX posted:

Happy new year everyone! :toot:

I got a little into SunVox over the holidays and made this track on the train ride home. I also finished another ReBirth track :)

The first is like Legend of Zelda/Hulk walking away themes.

• Locked thread