Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
if you want to transmit midi or audio between your ipad and a computer i would suggest the app musicIO. it lets you transmit both over the normal lightning cable

as for ableton link, you can sync that poo poo up over a wireless network just fine, no need for bluetooth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Sample tank is free right now

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
More gadgets, motherfuckers.

http://youtu.be/huMJdWRG1nk

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Video is private.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Oh sweet, module has two new instruments too. A mellotron and another EP.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Digital Jesus posted:

Video is private.

Fuckin' Korg, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PLmPEYKOFU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I think I might pick up a couple of the $5 gadgets on sale, and the new Kamata one before its too late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDmgRv3G5-Q

I added the Korg NanoKey Studio bluetooth midi controller to my amazon wishlist. Maybe I'll get lucky and someone will buy me it for my upcoming birthday. If not I'll buy it myself, because I think it will make using gadget even more fun.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

JHVH-1 posted:

I think I might pick up a couple of the $5 gadgets on sale, and the new Kamata one before its too late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDmgRv3G5-Q

I added the Korg NanoKey Studio bluetooth midi controller to my amazon wishlist. Maybe I'll get lucky and someone will buy me it for my upcoming birthday. If not I'll buy it myself, because I think it will make using gadget even more fun.

I want one too.
Keyboard Mag gave it a glowing review http://www.keyboardmag.com/control-surfaces/1211/review-korg-nanokey-studio/58524

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This may be the dumbest thing anyone has ever said... but as someone who is poo poo at making digital music, I love iPad music apps. Especially Gadget. Are there any REALLY basic series of "how to use this" videos

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I've found a few on YouTube that go over what some of the gadgets do but really playing around is the only thing that's helped me.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

derekcooper posted:

I've found a few on YouTube that go over what some of the gadgets do but really playing around is the only thing that's helped me.

I kind of found that's probably the best way to get to know a synth. Analog or digital. That's how the musical pioneers had to do it, right :)

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
In related news, Korg Module is on sale for $20 through mid-July and now includes mellotron tape samples as a free in-app purchase. Even though it doesn't have a custom white skin for those patches, it still looks much better than any of the other Mellotron apps that I've seen.

I've always wanted more Mellotron patches from my SV-1, so I'm happy that now have a pretty simple way to integrate them without having to purchase another keyboard or mess with a laptop configuration.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

derekcooper posted:

I don't remember what videos I watched when I first got it, but look for the ones that are like song building tutorial. There are a few out there that walk you through how to build a song which will teach you more about how to construct something useful and you can learn the gadgets themselves by playing around or other videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m4lLNyRYCU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxMePcSzAas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8G0ANkTlZw

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Learning how to use Gadget and making good progress... Can anyone tell me why sometimes (right now for example...)all the tracks were muted but they weren't actually muted with the button. and I can't make it come back...

(I don't have function on or selection mode on...)

[Edit] sorry I left a chunk out... Phone postin'. Fixed

I figured it out,btw... All the track thingies at the bottom were slid down and one empty track had gotten "solo" selected.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 8, 2016

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Why what?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
congratulations on recovering from your stroke

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Got the nanoKey studio for my birthday and its pretty drat cool. Plop some AAA batteries and then you can pair the bluetooth right inside gadget and be controlling things right away. Kamata allows you to draw waveforms with the kaosspad which feels a lot nicer for some reason.
The buttons that allow you to switch the functions around for the different parts of the controller seem to work well, even in other apps like animoog. You can switch the keyboard section to to scales on the "white" keys and then the "black" keys become chords, or you can make the rhythm pad play chords.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hi y'all I made a lengthy EP entirely in NanoStudio (apart from the mastering etc. stuff, which was done with the help of a friend in Ableton).

My style is a kind of very much composed (instead of pattern-based) retro-ish instrumental electro? The new EP is called Meri (The Sea) and it looks like this:

It can be listened to here: https://differenttrains.bandcamp.com/releases

And for the first time in my musical escapades there's even a CD! It can be bought above or directly from me: https://desertm.bandcamp.com/merch/meri-limited-edition-digipak-cd

Next up I want to start work on an LP. It's been three years already since the last one (made with hardware) and I think I've gotten to know NanoStudio well enough to attempt one again. I have plenty of other projects, though, so it might take a while until I start to seriously think about the LP.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 11, 2016

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Anyone ever use Sparkle? Apesoft has interesting stuff but the online "tutorials" leave a lot to be desired. I've been trying to import samples while screwing around for what feels like two weeks.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

JHVH-1 posted:

Got the nanoKey studio for my birthday and its pretty drat cool. Plop some AAA batteries and then you can pair the bluetooth right inside gadget and be controlling things right away. Kamata allows you to draw waveforms with the kaosspad which feels a lot nicer for some reason.
The buttons that allow you to switch the functions around for the different parts of the controller seem to work well, even in other apps like animoog. You can switch the keyboard section to to scales on the "white" keys and then the "black" keys become chords, or you can make the rhythm pad play chords.

I find the scale and chord functions a little odd. One weird thing is that the chord buttons will yield chords containing notes that aren't in the scale that I'm using. I also expected it to dovetail more seamlessly with Gadget's internal scale and key selection.

The scale guide (where it lights up the appropriate notes rather than skipping them altogether) seems to just make C the root and then it transposes the output. I guess it makes sense with such a small keyboard, since you don't have that much real estate to work with, but it threw me for a loop at first.

I think there's a newer firmware than what I'm using, so I should get on that.

It's a nice control surface, and I think with some software tweaks it'll be really excellent.

edit: also, sometimes the mappings are just weird and I have to like quit gadget and reconnect to get it all back to normal. It's like it drops out of native mode or something.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 16, 2016

evacuate meatspace
Jun 26, 2014

there is a monster at
the end of this thread
hey thread, here's an hour long video of Jordan Rudess playing around on a bunch of iOS music apps and peripherals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFLNWbl29vw

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Has anyone ever messed around with Mogee? I'm past that point now but I'm wondering how much of a novelty it is vs professional use. I still think it would be fun for live performances.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

gently caress me Gadget just got MIDI import.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Looks like amplitube is free again until tomorrow. It doesn't have great reviews on the app store, but I've heard some good things. Looks like 5 amps/cabs and 11 effects, plus tons of in app purchases.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

I have a keyboard that works fine doing midi over lightning and into garage band. I want to play with Loopy, but even with screwing around with audiobus I can't figure out how to get it all working. Does anyone know the incantations on setting that up?

If garage band is the problem, is there a different app that'll work better?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

What do you mean, getting it all working?

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Sorry, so right now the only way I have to get sound into the ipad is midi and garage band. Audobus doesn't seem like it can have garage band be a source, only a destination. I want to get sound into loopy somehow.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Samplr may be easier for something like that, in my experience.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
In garageband, I can't seem to get the inter app tabs to work on the apps. For example, I create a new track in garageband and select bias FX, sound prism electro, etc as the inter app input. So, through garage band I click on the app's icon to take me to said app.

Sometimes I do see the inwrap recording tab stick out but when i try to pull on it, it doesn't bring up anything or snaps back. I have to do the fast app switching (tap home twice) to move around.

Anyone else run into this and suggestions?

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I just now realized that fugue machine connects to almost every synth I have.

Baroque party over here.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I picked up Arp Odyssey since its $10 off this month intro price and adds an extra gadget. I got it for the iPad but it is fun on iPhone if yo move into the pad mode cause you can play double thumb.
Haven't learned how to use everything. Was wondering why you can't just choose from some presets for the arpeggiator notes but then realized it has some set up as part of the programs so you save it that way. 100 build in presets are pretty good starting point too.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Arg between Arp Odyssey and Moog Model 15 (among other apps), I think I may finally be forced to upgrade beyond my iPad 4. I really wanted to string this one out for as long as I could, but it looks like most of the major music app manufacturers are requiring 64-bit devices. Not that I blame them.

Question comes down to whether I should get an Air or a Mini, then. I'd be using it mostly for music apps... does that make the Minis less desirable?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I have a Pro (big) and the extra surface area is great for little tiny controls on some apps

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Best thing about the Moog apps is that they work with the Seaboard Rise now so you can go apeshit with your MPE-boner

evacuate meatspace
Jun 26, 2014

there is a monster at
the end of this thread
Moog Model 15 is half price af rn

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Hey all TC-11 and TC-Data are both on sale today for $9.99 ea. Just FYI.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I posted this in the synth thread and was directed here:

I'm thinking about getting a gift for my nephew who's into making music. I'd like to buy him a sub $100 midi controller he could hook to his iPhone, and a gift card for an app that he could use to play around with it. Any suggestions for either? He has some musical training, but this would be his first real synth.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Is his goal to perform or produce?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

theflyingexecutive posted:

Is his goal to perform or produce?

With previous keyboards and instruments he's liked fooling around. I bought him a few different effects boxes, and he had a lot of fun messing with the distortion effects, for example. So I think I'd say "perform".

I looked at a few different beginner synth guides, and the Arturia Minilab came highly recommended,
https://www.amazon.com/Arturia-2304...s=arturia+micro

I'm leaning towards that right now. Would this connector allow it to communicate to synth software on an iPhone?
https://www.amazon.com/Trusda-Braid...amera+connector

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Wavestation app just dropped, along with corresponding Gadget update. $15 bucks for now, and a $5 upgrade that gives an extra card (not just a reskin like with the Oddy). Haven't had a chance to try it yet as Tater needs his walk.

• Locked thread