Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

With previous keyboards and instruments he's liked fooling around. I bought him a few different effects boxes, and he had a lot of fun messing with the distortion effects, for example. So I think I'd say "perform".

I looked at a few different beginner synth guides, and the Arturia Minilab came highly recommended,
https://www.amazon.com/Arturia-2304...s=arturia+micro

I'm leaning towards that right now. Would this connector allow it to communicate to synth software on an iPhone?
https://www.amazon.com/Trusda-Braid...amera+connector

You need an Apple Camera Connection Kit, and fortunately (if what I'm seeing is true), the Minilab doesn't need additional power from a USB hub nor AC adapter
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...EQwg8IGw&adurl=

As far as synth software goes, apps run the gamut from free/cheap to really expensive. Fortunately lots of them come with feature-limited editions so he can get his feet wet and try before he buys.

If you want to stretch or share the cost, Korg has a Bluetooth keyboard (nanoKEY Studio) that doesn't require the connection kit. I wouldn't recommend it over the Minilab, save for two reasons: it's cordless and has built-in scales, chords, and arpeggiator patterns. Downsides: it's more expensive, even without the CCK and there are very few used pieces, and the keys (though velocity sensitive) are pretty lackluster.

You're a great person for this gift, because it is 100% a give a mouse a cookie scenario.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

theflyingexecutive posted:

You need an Apple Camera Connection Kit, and fortunately (if what I'm seeing is true), the Minilab doesn't need additional power from a USB hub nor AC adapter
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...EQwg8IGw&adurl=

As far as synth software goes, apps run the gamut from free/cheap to really expensive. Fortunately lots of them come with feature-limited editions so he can get his feet wet and try before he buys.

If you want to stretch or share the cost, Korg has a Bluetooth keyboard (nanoKEY Studio) that doesn't require the connection kit. I wouldn't recommend it over the Minilab, save for two reasons: it's cordless and has built-in scales, chords, and arpeggiator patterns. Downsides: it's more expensive, even without the CCK and there are very few used pieces, and the keys (though velocity sensitive) are pretty lackluster.

You're a great person for this gift, because it is 100% a give a mouse a cookie scenario.

To jump in, there are also (both wired and wireless) NanoKEY versions that are a lot cheaper than the Studio and don't have pads/knobs/touchpad, but they're definitely made more for portability and toughness than playability.

If you're looking for something that's going to live on a desk then you're totally better off getting something with real keys.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Awesome - thanks to everyone for their help!

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

New new Korg Wavestation app is so fun it's almost overwhelming.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm considering getting a used iPad for the sole purpose of adding it to my desktop music production setup, running MIDI into the iPad and audio out to Ableton rather than building complete tracks within the iPad. I'm primarily looking at various synth apps as well as TouchOSC (or other control apps). More specifically, I'm looking at Thor, ReBirth, Animoog and a few of the Korg offerings.

Couple questions:

1. What iPad models should I look at? How old can I go before the specs start to limit my app choice or cause noticeably reduced performance or sound quality? I'm looking for a non-mini model for more screen real estate and/or larger GUI elements.

2. How do the synth apps compare to their VST counterparts in terms of sound quality? Do the iPad apps have to use worse analog modeling algorithms due to processor limitations, or are they pretty much the same as their VST counterparts. For example, is the Thor iPad app nearly identical sound wise as using Thor in Reason?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Splinter posted:

I'm considering getting a used iPad for the sole purpose of adding it to my desktop music production setup, running MIDI into the iPad and audio out to Ableton rather than building complete tracks within the iPad. I'm primarily looking at various synth apps as well as TouchOSC (or other control apps). More specifically, I'm looking at Thor, ReBirth, Animoog and a few of the Korg offerings.

Couple questions:

1. What iPad models should I look at? How old can I go before the specs start to limit my app choice or cause noticeably reduced performance or sound quality? I'm looking for a non-mini model for more screen real estate and/or larger GUI elements.

2. How do the synth apps compare to their VST counterparts in terms of sound quality? Do the iPad apps have to use worse analog modeling algorithms due to processor limitations, or are they pretty much the same as their VST counterparts. For example, is the Thor iPad app nearly identical sound wise as using Thor in Reason?

1. Stick to the Airs or newer, I believe. Basically a whole bunch of new audio apps use the Metal development tools, which locks them into 64-bit models. In particular I know Moog Model 15 is 64-bit only. I've got an iPad 4 and I can't use it, and I know I've run into three or four others since then.

2. I haven't noticed a wild difference in audio quality when A/B'ing some stuff. I'm sure there probably is a quality difference given the difference in hardware but when you look at the price disparity between apps and desktop VST/AU versions you're sort of getting what you pay for in some respects. Basically if it's not a flagship synth or effect for you, you could probably get by with the app version of whatever. I mostly get VST version of stuff when I know the app version will be a big headache to use compared to just kicking open a DAW and hitting the ground running (which, admittedly, is frequently the case).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Splinter posted:

Couple questions:

An Air 2- particularly a refurb- can be had pretty cheap at this point. I wouldn't consider anything older given the prices. I've filled a 32gb Air with a couple of large synth and control apps so I also wouldn't recommend less than 64gb. The rumor is that Apple is updating/potentially price dropping iPads in March, so I'd stay tuned if you're not planning to buy right away.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Performance wise is there a big difference between the Air and Air 2 for synth apps though? It looks like used Airs are a good deal cheaper than refurb or used Air 2s. I'd like to refrain from springing for the latest and greatest before I'm sure an iPad will end up being a permanent fixture in my music production setup. Regardless, I can definitely wait to see if anything happens in March.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Air 2 is way faster so it makes working with intensive apps like Kadget a much nicer experience

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

That Arp Odyssey Korg just put out sounds excellent.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Splinter posted:

Performance wise is there a big difference between the Air and Air 2 for synth apps though? It looks like used Airs are a good deal cheaper than refurb or used Air 2s. I'd like to refrain from springing for the latest and greatest before I'm sure an iPad will end up being a permanent fixture in my music production setup. Regardless, I can definitely wait to see if anything happens in March.

It's a massive upgrade in terms of internals, and synth apps are actually one of the places where the benefits become really apparent. TBH, I wouldn't necessarily recommend an Air 2 over an Air to most budget-conscious buyers but I absolutely would in your case. I've gotten an Air to hiccup with a few intensive apps going.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Okay, you guys have sold me on the 2.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Splinter posted:

Okay, you guys have sold me on the 2.

yeah i've got a 2 and i have yet to see it slow down on anything.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Man, I dont know if this is the place to ask but I'm getting close to being nude, red and mad.

I used Absynth 5 in mainstage and logic and long story short I had to update my OS which in turn broke mainstage which is what I use on stage. So I updated MS and Logic and for whatever reason I can't get Absynth to show up in the plug in manager in Logic Pro X no matter what I do. It still shows up and works in the old version of Logic Pro, just not Logic Pro X.

So ah, idk. I'm using an old rear end 13" macbook pro from like, 2011 if that matters.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
If I had to guess without checking facts, it might be a 64-bit compatibility issue. A lot of DAWs switched to 64-bit, which requires updated VSTs or a bridge system in order to get older 32-bit VSTs to work. Check to see if you have the 64-bit version of Absynth 5 on your system.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Could anyone recommend a sample sequencer for the iPad? I've got a bunch of drum samples on my Mac I'd like to copy over to the iPad and sequence/loop without lugging a laptop.

I've got Beatmaker 2, just wondered if there's anything better out there?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
This may/may not be what you are looking for but I found the iMaschine2 to be really easy for sequencing beats/loops. I only used it for sketching out ideas though so don't know if it has all of the features you need (or maybe it has a lot more than needed).

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Does someone here use Cubasis on iOS? I'm considering transitioning to it but would like to know about the MIDI routing options first. The free LE version doesn't let me access all the things I need to and the manual is of no help there either. If someone has the full version and could, say, take a screenshot of the page, that'd be awesome.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
A new update to Korg Gadget dropped. New, better sounding drum machine, free. New gadget that allows audio tracks and audio file import: free. The Korg are kind and good.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

extradite THIS! posted:

Does someone here use Cubasis on iOS? I'm considering transitioning to it but would like to know about the MIDI routing options first. The free LE version doesn't let me access all the things I need to and the manual is of no help there either. If someone has the full version and could, say, take a screenshot of the page, that'd be awesome.

You mean this stuff?

Cubasis is on sale right now. It just got an update with a free reverb, which is good news because the default reverb sucks, of course there's a variety of au plugins available.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

loga mira posted:

You mean this stuff?

Cubasis is on sale right now. It just got an update with a free reverb, which is good news because the default reverb sucks, of course there's a variety of au plugins available.

Thank you very much :) Yeah, that already helps. Also thanks for the heads-up, I hadn't noticed that. Dropping 50 € on something I wasn't sure about felt a bit too much but 25 € not totally blind anymore isn't bad.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Schindler's Fist posted:

A new update to Korg Gadget dropped. New, better sounding drum machine, free. New gadget that allows audio tracks and audio file import: free. The Korg are kind and good.

I was really surprised that the audio tracks gadget was free. It makes the app so much more powerful now.
The guitar amp sims kind of suck though.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Follow up to my "which iPad should I get" question: the consensus was an Air 2 (preferably w/ at least 64GB of storage), but wait to see if new iPads are announced in March. Well a new model was announced in March and they are pretty cheap (refurb Air 2s are only $10 less than new versions of the new models). From what I gather, the processor on the new models is a bit faster (unclear how much), but it is thicker and has a worse display (not laminated to the glass, no anti-reflective coating). Is the upgraded processor on the new version worth it for synth apps, or should I save some money and find a used Air 2?

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The iPad rumors leading up to this new release were all over the place. Apparently there is a partial redesign coming at some point that will reduce the bezels around the screen, but that rumored new model will probably not come out until at least this Fall.

That said, Apple has been getting increasingly weirder about its product release cycles, so it's tough to figure out what their plan is. They were completely silent about Mac Pros not being updated at all for 3.5 years until this week, when they uncharacteristically had to announce that they made a misstep with the 2013 design and committed to releasing a new model at some point hopefully next year. Almost every product they make aside from the iPhone has slipped into a weird release schedule.

For music production, any model with an A7 (iPad Mini 2 and first iPad Air) or better processor should run almost any music-related app fine. You're probably good getting the Air 2, unless you want to wait to see when the redesign comes out. The next iPad update might just be for the Pro models. No one really knows.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Audiobus 3 is out

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
Want to just plug my ipad into my computer and just send it midi information.

Is this app the only one that will let me do that, are there others out there, or should I just get a midi interface for it?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Anyone know if the original iRig can work with an iPhone 7, using the headphone jack to lightning adapter? If it can work, it would save me $80. The price difference between the iRig HD 2 and the original one.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ChocNitty posted:

Anyone know if the original iRig can work with an iPhone 7, using the headphone jack to lightning adapter? If it can work, it would save me $80. The price difference between the iRig HD 2 and the original one.
I think I have both (not sure if I have a 6 or a 7, it's from work but I use it to record) I've been meaning to test them out. I'll try tonight and let you know.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Okay. I used my old iRig, plugged into my iPhone 6 or 7, it's got the new audio jack, so I had to use the adaptor, plugged in the irig, my old iPhone headphones and my telecaster, and did this with garageband.

https://soundcloud.com/beauhall/gtr-test

The only thing I didn't like was I had to turn on the monitor option to hear it, which makes the audio MONO. Not a big deal, but still.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Can anyone recommend a little keyboard for Gadget with stopless knobs? Would buy the Korg Studio one but I read switching from instrument to instrument changes the settings because the knobs aren't motorized and run 7 to 5 o'clock

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Bobcats posted:

Can anyone recommend a little keyboard for Gadget with stopless knobs? Would buy the Korg Studio one but I read switching from instrument to instrument changes the settings because the knobs aren't motorized and run 7 to 5 o'clock

That's disappointing to hear. I'm thinking about picking one up as it seems pretty intuitive for exactly what it's supposed to do, but it doesn't seem like it would be easy to use outside of its limited focus.

Has anyone tried Chordflow? I picked it up a couple weeks ago and am just getting into it. I like that its Link enabled and is easy to use with all my synth apps.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I finally got an iPad and am ready to dive head first into creating music with it. I'd like to grab a synth, something for making drum loops (mainly housey and hip-hopy) and something to tie both of these together, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the options. I'm leaning toward Thor for the synth (has been something I've wanted to try since it was first announced for Reason), iMaschine 2 for the beats (mainly because I'm somewhat familiar with the Machine hardware, no idea if the app is actually any good), plus Audiobus 3 and maybe Loopy to tie everything together.

The one feature I think I'd be missing is a MIDI piano roll to record/tweak synth parts that I'm not able to nail with the soft keyboard (I believe Thor only has a step sequencer), so maybe I need something more DAW-like than Loopy? Could I use Garageband to do that? Any other straightforward options? Not sure I need a full fledged DAW app at this point, but if there's one that's easy to use for this sort of thing I'd be open to it.

Finally, anything else I should consider besides iMaschine 2 for beats?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Get some gadget in your life.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Get some gadget in your life.

This right here. Also take a look at the Cubasis app. It's pretty full featured traditional DAW.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Alright this Gadget thing is pretty cool

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just curious - how come nobody likes Garageband for this stuff? At one point I dove deep into all the other stuff, spent a lot of time on Tabletop, buying the add ons, trying to do stuff, and then came back to Garageband and, well, honestly it's got some really good stuff - the looping, the synth modifying, piano roll... the one thing I'm not thrilled about is the lack of master effects. (This is all on my iPhone, btw.)

What does Gadget or iMaschine or any of those things do above and beyond plain old garageband?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

magnificent7 posted:

Just curious - how come nobody likes Garageband for this stuff? At one point I dove deep into all the other stuff, spent a lot of time on Tabletop, buying the add ons, trying to do stuff, and then came back to Garageband and, well, honestly it's got some really good stuff - the looping, the synth modifying, piano roll... the one thing I'm not thrilled about is the lack of master effects. (This is all on my iPhone, btw.)

What does Gadget or iMaschine or any of those things do above and beyond plain old garageband?

I could never get over the loving stupid track symbols (like a guitar etc) to even try it.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

A lot of those features came out years after people switched to other workflows, apple is playing catchup to other much better daws and its UI is stuck in that awkward phase where it hasn't fully committed to being a professional tool so there's a lot of cruft to appeal to the "push two buttons to make a song and show off your iPad and then never open the app again"

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

A lot of those features came out years after people switched to other workflows, apple is playing catchup to other much better daws and its UI is stuck in that awkward phase where it hasn't fully committed to being a professional tool so there's a lot of cruft to appeal to the "push two buttons to make a song and show off your iPad and then never open the app again"
YES. That exactly. They were all about the prettiness of it, and burying the controls without any real way of getting to them. I hate that part; hate how it extended over to Logic Pro as well. I'm just too lazy to try to learn another DAW, and then another one at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

magnificent7 posted:

Pretty much go with whatever works for you. The only rule is there are no rules. If you need mastering, get one of the apps by Igor Vasiliev and Audiobus.

• Locked thread