Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
japtor
Oct 28, 2005
djay for iPhone/iPod is 99 cents right now, not sure how much longer.

I'm too cheap for the iPad version so I just picked this up and run it doubled like I did with Tap DJ a while back :v:. The audio seems to be better than Tap DJ at least, but I haven't figured out the rest of the UI yet...not that I really know what the hell to do with turntable apps other than mess with the crossfader and cue points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anode
Dec 24, 2005

Nail me to my car and I'll tell you who you are

Kin Corn Karn posted:

Anyone know of a good drum machine app? If one exists? My Alesis SR16 sounds very dated now.

I'm a little late on this, but Akai Synthstation has a pretty good fake MPC.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FLX posted:

Beatmaker 2 is 50% off (i.e. $9.99) until friday!

How does it compare to NanoStudio?

Because going off the screenshots, they look functionally identical. Googling around, some seem to think beatmaker has a better drum sequencer. And Beatmaker is sample only, while Nano lets you do some synth.

So I guess it comes down to how well the interface works.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Aw, do they plan on making an iPad 2 version of beatmaker 2? I was really excited to buy it and then I saw that it was iPhone resolution :(

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
I doubt it will be iPad 2 specific, I can't see any reason the iPad 1 couldn't handle it. They do claim to be working on making it a universal app, evidently.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

xzzy posted:

How does it compare to NanoStudio?

Because going off the screenshots, they look functionally identical. Googling around, some seem to think beatmaker has a better drum sequencer. And Beatmaker is sample only, while Nano lets you do some synth.

So I guess it comes down to how well the interface works.

Beatmaker is a lot better at working with samples (it even has its own ReCycle-style chopping tool), but you're correct about it not having synths and it doesn't support the Akai ipk25 either.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

jakewastaken posted:

I doubt it will be iPad 2 specific, I can't see any reason the iPad 1 couldn't handle it. They do claim to be working on making it a universal app, evidently.

Oops, sorry, I meant to say iPad (universal). Added the 2 on accident.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah, the Beatmaker 2 devs have said for a while (most recently on Apr 26, that I know of) that they'd be making "an iPad version" which would come as a free update, so I'd guess it'll be universal.

Also, another difference with NanoStudio is Beatmaker 2 supports "unlimited" tracks. I've used up to 16.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Is there a cheaper yet just as functional replacement for the iRig device? I read that a certain kind of splitter can do it, so if I don't have to spend $40 that would be nice.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I think the splitter thing was through one of those minijack to composite video and stereo audio cables. I guess you just have to figure out which ones correspond to the mic and output then work from there with gender change adapters. The price for all that (cable + adapters) should be under $10...it may not work, but eh, it's :10bux:.

edit-might not be ideal cause video cables have a different impedance, but in cheaper cables they might all be the same anyways.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
This might be the thread to ask this: I want to record the audio output of my iPad onto my iPhone. Recording to the iPhone is a bit more limited since it can't use the camera connection kit. I was wondering if something like this would work?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

toxick posted:

This might be the thread to ask this: I want to record the audio output of my iPad onto my iPhone. Recording to the iPhone is a bit more limited since it can't use the camera connection kit. I was wondering if something like this would work?

It should work, but be aware that the iPad's audio output is line-level stereo and your adapter and the iPhone's mic is mic-level mono. Also, some people reported some static noise pollution when recording through such a splitter cable/device. If you try it out, I'd love to hear a trip report!

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

FLX posted:

It should work, but be aware that the iPad's audio output is line-level stereo and your adapter and the iPhone's mic is mic-level mono. Also, some people reported some static noise pollution when recording through such a splitter cable/device. If you try it out, I'd love to hear a trip report!

Yeah the mono issue is what I'm concerned about. I want to sample in stereo and it looks like recording into the iPad via the CCK is the only acceptable solution.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

FLX posted:

That's a lot of words that simplify down to "its poo poo". I bought a griffin cable for like $20 on ebay and its fairly useless. If you turn up the volume on the iPad to over 30% you will get insane never ending feedback. I'm still patiently waiting for the Apogee iJam.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Most of the apps that have line-in support seem to have some form of anti-feedback capability but really it's a pretty poor compromise, everything sounds very flat and muted, it's just not fun to play an instrument and have that sort of sound coming out of the unit. If you're just looking to sketch down ideas then it will do the job but not for anything you'd want to release.

Also patiently waiting for the iJam to surface.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

I want to get some more into Ableton Live and was wondering how the Launchpad/APC-20 compares to touchAble on an iPad. Apart from real buttons and faders, their functionality seems almost identical from what I've read/watched so far.

Edit: meh, I got touchAble but I'm not that satisfied with it. The WiFi latency, even in an adhoc network, is still to much to trigger beats properly and while it's possible to control tons of features, you're constantly fighting the iPad's "small" screen size by hiding and showing pages. I guess if you practice your stuff beforehand and don't have any time-critical stuff to manage, then it's a cool app though.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 24, 2011

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Holy crap, this is the best app-demonstration video ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh2FHIZWfJE

It's for Everyday Looper which is a loop-pedal app, which I might have to get now just because of the amazing video.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 24, 2011

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING

FLX posted:

Holy crap, this is the best app-demonstration video ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh2FHIZWfJE

It's for Everyday Looper which is a loop-pedal app, which I might have to get now just because of the amazing video.

I hate everything about that guy, but this app looks kickass. I see it fluctuates in price fairly often and right now it's the highest it's ever been. I put it on my wish list for appshopper, but I might cave early too. gently caress I've spent a lot on amazing music apps.

God dammit I have zero impulse control for kickass things for my iPad. I bought it within minutes of discovering. It looks like it's worth 6 bucks for sure.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Little MIDI Machine update came out (best part: it's free), but it can't sync via multitasking from what I can tell.

I was expecting some kind of magic similar to the way that modrum and bassline work, but either that magic isn't there, or I'm too dumb to figure it out. :confused:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does anyone know of an app that facilitates getting samples off the web (either mp3 or wav format), and putting them into the pasteboard?

Desired result is getting samples into the DAW apps without using a PC.

I tried using some of the generic "download manager" apps that are out there, but couldn't find one that lets me copy stuff into the paste buffer.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

AudioVidew can at least get sounds from an email into audio copy/paste. I haven't tried the app myself, but maybe it can do even more.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

This is a pretty cool new product from Alesis that gives iPad a ton of connectivity (mic, instrument, midi).

http://alesis.com/iodock

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

RivensBitch posted:

This is a pretty cool new product from Alesis that gives iPad a ton of connectivity (mic, instrument, midi).

http://alesis.com/iodock

"Power supply" Bummer. Is phantom power that much of a hog?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I don't know about phantom power usage, but the iPad doesn't seem to output all that much power to begin with. It might just be there to ensure that it all works vs a possible crapshoot when just relying on the iPad's output.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

USB gives you 500mA per port, but the iPad port connection is probably meant less for powering things and more for taking power from something else.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
FL Studio Mobile (http://www.image-line.com/documents/flstudiomobile.html) has just launched for iOS for $20.

Anyone get a chance to try it out yet? I'm a piss-poor digital musician, so I'm probably not a good judge, but it looks like it's got the kind of step sequencer / piano roll editor features that I found sadly lacking in Garage Band. I might miss the automatic accompanists from GB, but FL might have that kind of capability through loops or something else.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Horizon Synth is out, and looks killer. Analog modeled and very, very well laid out. Hypersaws as well.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/horizon-synth/id443663267?mt=8&affId=1410283&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

5 bucks.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

magiccarpet posted:

Horizon Synth is out, and looks killer. Analog modeled and very, very well laid out. Hypersaws as well.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/horizon-synth/id443663267?mt=8&affId=1410283&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

5 bucks.

iPad only :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Crunk Abortion posted:

iPad only :(

I hate that so much. :mad:

As near as I can tell, iPhone/iPod development for music apps has pretty much stopped.

Looks like I'll be sticking with my lovely NanoStudio.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

xzzy posted:

I hate that so much. :mad:

As near as I can tell, iPhone/iPod development for music apps has pretty much stopped.

Looks like I'll be sticking with my lovely NanoStudio.

Look a few posts up at FL Studio. That supports it all.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

magiccarpet posted:

Look a few posts up at FL Studio. That supports it all.

Yeah but that's just a new coat of paint on Xewton, which IMO can swing on deez. I've got my daw needs covered between Nanostudio and Beatmaker 2. At this point what I want are decent synthesizers and sounds since I can't program a synth for poo poo. I just got my akai synthstation too so core midi support is a big plus.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Precisely.. I got track editors coming out my ears.

But synths are a rarity.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yamaha came out with a universal app emulating the Tenori-on. It's pretty fully featured and fun to use. Now I get why people like the Tenori-on so much!

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/tnr-i/id406297563?mt=8

I made a crappy little tune with it! http://soundcloud.com/eotf-seork/hope-you-like-random-bleeps

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I feel like the pressure sensitivity is all hosed up on the app. Most of the time it won't input notes unless I hang on the press a bit longer.

My rabbits are all freaking out at your song. They like blippy synth noises. Its weird.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

magiccarpet posted:

I feel like the pressure sensitivity is all hosed up on the app. Most of the time it won't input notes unless I hang on the press a bit longer.

If you're in a "Score" layer (where it works like a step sequencer), then it is supposed to take a second to confirm. You'll notice a little circle appears around where you touch, and it only saves the note if you hold until it shrinks all the way down.

quote:

My rabbits are all freaking out at your song. They like blippy synth noises. Its weird.

:3:

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

Anyone know of a god app similar to Mattomato?

http://struct.ca/ex/matto/

I'd like a generative music app that has MIDI/WAV output. I've tried Beatwave, but I can't stand the interface and dislike in-app upgrades.

EDIT: The TNR-i US (Tenorion) looks interesting. Is is easy to use? I want something simple.

Rabid Koala fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 9, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
This video of iDJ Live has been floating around the past few days, been meaning to post it here. It's a little $100 Numark dual turntable setup that works with djay and whatever other apps that are programmed for it...which may just be djay at this point for all I know.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Rabid Koala posted:

EDIT: The TNR-i US (Tenorion) looks interesting. Is is easy to use? I want something simple.

It's an awesome app, and it's pretty simple, though you'll need to read the manual. The way the different layers work is not self-evident.

Once you scan through the brief manual, you'll be making cool stuff in no time. All the functions are very immediately available, rather than buried in menus.

japtor posted:

This video of iDJ Live has been floating around the past few days, been meaning to post it here. It's a little $100 Numark dual turntable setup that works with djay and whatever other apps that are programmed for it...which may just be djay at this point for all I know.

That looks like a hoot to play around with, but I sure wouldn't want to base an actual live performance around an app which tends to run out of memory and crap out.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 9, 2011

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
The TNR-i is pretty expensive, but insanely cool. Now I wan't the hardware version of it. Damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Heads up Horizon Synth has been updated and renamed Sunriser. Free update to the best synth available for the iPad.

• Locked thread