Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
(reposting after having placed this in the wrong thread)

I finally got an iPhone, and instantly started gathering up musical apps. Thus far:

- Duettina: simulates a Hayden Duet concertina (isomorphic keyboard). Though this is ergonomically not really like a concertina, it is still that cool Hayden/Wicki layout, and the sound is actually quite close to an acoustic concertina. The main downsides is that there aren't many control options, other than volume and a keyboard inverting option.

The outfit, TradLessons, makes apps for a wide variety of concertinas and accordions, as well as bagpipes.

- 4QuarterSet: Also from TradLessons (as above). Most of their more realistic bagpipe apps are for iPad since they require sensitivity to more contacts that iPhone allows, but they do have several free keyboard-based samples of Scottish, Irish, and Swedish bagpipes for iPhone. They also have several apps for the "regulators" of the Irish uilleann pipes: the uilleann has a sort of odd woodwind keyboard that lays across the player's lap and can be used to play accompaniment. It's somewhat limited, but pretty fun, good sound accuracy, and the drone is pretty solid:

- Oramics: the original Oramics device of around 1960 was a machine which ran loops of 35mm film over light sensors, and the player would draw shapes on the film to selectively block the light and thus affect the sound. This app seems to be a relatively faithful recreation of the device, as I understand it, and has a goodly number of options. It's not quite a noise generator, but it's not quite a melody player either, but it can be rather fascinating:

Can't find any YouTube clips of it, so I'll try to do a video review in the coming week or so.

If anyone else has plentiful experience with iPhone apps, I'm really looking for good apps of the following types:

- A good traditional drone device, ideally something like an Indian shruti, though the Shruti apps I've seen had rather poor ratings. Just something where I can set a number of tones and just have them play constantly, ideally with a wide variety of changeable variables.

- A good noise generator. I've always wanted to mess with analog noise-making machines, but doing it digitally seems a cheaper way to get my feet wet.

EDIT: I did get ReBirth as recommended to me earlier, and having a ton of fun with that. Once I get the basics down, my goal is to try and get some sort of Celtic techno sort of tracks going on, rhythms in jig-time, reel-time, etc. with the proper modal scales on the melodies. Also want to test its ability with odd rhythms (5/4, 7/4, etc.) and try and do some Arabic-type tracks. Though it's not really set up to do maqam scales, but then again neither am I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Stabbing Spork posted:

Thanks for the info, I'll find a place to try out the QuNexus before buying one.

I got a QuNexus and am overall really pleased with it, though I'm sure I'm only scratching the surface on using its capabilities. It's pretty dang compact and very durable, have no problem carrying it in a small satchel with a tablet. Yesterday I was on a plane for a few hours and was messing around with some melodies by just plugging it into my phone and listening through earphones.

I use the ThumbJam app to play through, pretty happy with the body of sounds. I just can't figure out yet how to import microntonal scales, just intonation, etc. from Scala onto my iPhone.

Question for the thread: what's a good option for a speaker that I can plug into my phone so I can play my QuNexus out loud? Not looking for some huge blast, just something that puts out volume comparable to an acoustic guitar or so. Any reasonably compact option so I can jam with friends in the park?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Sizone posted:

Be forewarned that because it's sample playback, and because of how multisamples are handled, thumbjam does really weird poo poo to pitches when you try to play in microtonal scales. You really need to make your own samples, in scale, then put together an instrument pack for it, which basically defeats any convenience or ease of using it for non-12tet stuff (you need something that can handle microtonality to generate the sounds with in the first place, so why not use that). If sunrizer or z3ta will run on an iphone, they're way easier to work with for that.

z3ta is like $20, and Sunrizer like $3, so I got the latter now. I'm still not really clear on how to implement microtonal with Sunrizer, I see people noting that you can do so, but it's not in the manual from the developer. This will take some digging; anyone already done this successfully?

• Locked thread