Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skritch
Jul 12, 2000
For music notation on iPad, check out Symphony Pro. I've been happy with it as a mobile Finale Notepad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skritch
Jul 12, 2000
I looked at Twisted Wave for iOS, but then saw the demo for Hokusai and will probably get that instead. Hokusai appears to have more audio editing features, plus the Audacity-like ability to have multiple tracks is nice.

Between the other two, iSequence is more tracker-like and Sample Lab looks better for live groovebox-type use. It's up to how you prefer working. iSequence's ability to put different sounds on each single track, its automation view and its keyboard for note entry swayed me, because I was looking for something more than an Electribe-like sample sequencer.

Skritch
Jul 12, 2000

xzzy posted:

Anyone in these parts use Aurora Sound Studio?

Reviews for it are kind of mixed, most people just bitching about it being "too complicated". I love step sequencers and am curious how it does.

I guess I could just buy it (only $10) but I figured it's just as easy to ask.

I use the iPad HD version, and find it a mixed bag. That's mostly due to the fact that the whole Tenori-On/Monome/LaunchPad "unlabeled dots" user interface style feels odd to me. Still, it has quite a lot of features that enable it to be an all-in-one music creation app.

Here's some details about it you may not know:
- Each synth instrument has 2 oscillators and a choice of 11 waveforms (4 analog: sine, saw, square and triangle, 7 digital: organ, hypersaw, etc.)
- Elementary FM, no ring modulation or oscillator sync
- 2 envelopes for each synth or sampler instrument: one for amplitude, the other for filter
- Instrument filters are low pass only, and they don't self-oscillate at high resonance
- 1 LFO per instrument, routed to amplitude, pitch and filter (there are knobs to set the amount for each)
- 3 global effects buses shared by all tracks, with choice of delay, reverb, chorus, phaser, distortion, gapper and LP/HP filter
- Sampler instruments can use up to a 10 second sample (much larger than the Tenori-On)
- Each track (aka layer) can be run at a different note length (whole notes down to 64th notes) where a 16th note track would play twice in the time it takes an 8th note track to play once
- Changing between patterns (aka blocks) in song mode only happens when the track with the longest note length has completed
- It doesn't have every play/sequence mode the Tenori-On has, but it does have a lot more in-depth instrument editing

Hope this helps.

Skritch
Jul 12, 2000

JazzFlight posted:

Also, I really wish there were better instruments for Nanostudio. I love the interface and its really simple loop recording system for laying down tracks, but I end up just using the whistling instrument a lot because most of the instruments are too "out there."

There are other apps that have incredible synths and custom sounds, and it's a shame Nanostudio has such a limited selection (I guess unless you custom make all the instruments yourself).

xzzy sort of mentioned this, but check out the sound banks someone made from the Kurzweil K2500, Kawai K4, and Korg Triton (http://forums.blipinteractive.co.uk/node/1461). They turn NanoStudio into a mini ROMpler. Not sure that's what you're after, but there's a wide variety of instruments, drum kits and pads in those banks.

• Locked thread