Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

how!! posted:

I'm thinking of getting a Macbook Air. I want to be able to record guitar and stuff from line in. The Macbook Air does not have a line in. :( There are a few line -> USB adapters out there, but none made by Apple. If apple made one I'd buy it, knowing it'd just work, but third party things don't always play well.

Does anyone know of a good converter unit that works well with all ios music apps, or should I just get a Macbook Pro?

Yeah, like FLX says, you want to get a dedicated audio interface and thanks to the proliferation of Logic, Mac-compatible ones are easy to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Faster posted:

I just bought the new iPad, the DM1 beat app, Animoog, and Garageband. This is so incredibly cool, I can't wait to sink more time in this. The amount of sounds possible is staggering. Now to get working on a full song...

Grab Tabletop and Synth while they're free too!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I thought it was gonna be like my EM-1. Alas not.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

So what are my options for audio or MIDI on an iPad Air? I only have the Camera Kit as of now.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Well I have an old H4 (+an SM58) that I'd like to use for recording vocals, a FastTrack Pro, an MAudio MIDI interface, an Axiom.

Through some combination, I'd ideally like to have vox effects through an iPod, while running MIDI-controlled apps through the iPad, and, if possible, chain the iPad's clock through to a drum machine. Failing that, I'd be happy tracking separately with vocal effects, then a MIDI-controlled app.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Update: I just picked up an iRig Pro, which does MIDI in and mic in simultaneously. Kneads my fits.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is that the main difference between the iRig and iRig Pro? The midi stuff?

Yeah, the one I got does Lightning too, for all your Air and Mini needs.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Is there any way to get iMPC and iMPC in Tabletop to talk to each other, i.e. use the same sounds library or do I have to manually transfer the libs with iTunes?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Yeah I understand, but for whatever reason, the Tabletop version of iMPC is more finicky than the standalone one with AudioCopy.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I bought the whole tabletop pack and am still on the fence about whether or not to recommend it. It has a nice clean workflow, but a few transient but show-stopping bugs. (Sometimes it'll decide to not play some notes, sometimes you get phantom MIDI notes appearing, sometimes it'll crash with AudioCopy) Running four MPCs chained to different effects simultaneously with live auto-tuned vocals is a wet dream to be sure, though.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

So about two years ago, when I first got an ipad, I picked up a tone matrix app I saw on AppShopper called Beatwave. It was fun, but really limited with a bunch of cheesy sounds and no way to make anything more complex than a simple four beat bar. I looked it up and turns out it to have been abandoned by its shovelware dev. Oh well, it was just a couple dollars.

Today I see it has a new icon, and I open it to find it has been redesigned top-to-bottom in iOS 7 style with a bunch of new instruments and effects and composing features and Audiobus support. :pwn:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Retronyms just submitted iMPC Pro to the App Store, with a promise that current iMPC users will get some sort of discount. They discounted the regular version to $2, so I'd get that to save on Pro.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 3, 2014

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

And you don't need to have the original for the discount, my bad.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

cname posted:

Spot on. I'm really enjoying iMPC, the only annoying part is not being able to delete my sound folders/files. Anyone know how this works?

It's coming in v1.1, which is being approved by Apple right now.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

OK, I've run into issues with my workflow. Here's what I want to do:

Music coming from synths, iMPC, Figure, etc. > Audiobus effects > Loopy > Launchpad

My problems:

iMPC can't use AB, but AudioCopy works fine
Loopy's AudioCopy implementation is out of date
I can't record x number of bars of synth lines directly into Launchpad/AC
Figure works with everything, but is obviously limited

My question is: is there a Loopy replacement that supports AC?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

And it's on sale. This is unfair, I just bought Cubasis (also on sale).

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Probably not, it's a butt-ugly interface and Jordan, so it won't go on sale either.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Kinda bummed this thread has slowed down so much but Holderness is using the new app bundle system for their great Audiobus/IAA effects, which is also on sale, so get that.

Also don't update to iOS 8 yet, lots of apps (especially Korg ones and Animoog, also Cubasis and Auria) are broken/in review.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I wish more of these instruments would integrate with Gadget rather than Tabletop. Tabletop's phrase editor is just sooooooo bad.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I know all of that I was just dreaming. :allears:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

So Sector is pretty great.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

He's posted a lot on the AB forums about how pithy revenue from apps is after taxes and Apple's cut. Even expensive apps are cheap by VST standards, five bucks is worth it to loosen Apple's hold on the filesystem.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

What do you have already?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Animoog with its ios8 update is great but tough to program. Sunrizer has amazing sound, esp saws. Thor is a very full-featured subtractive synth. Dxi is a straightforward 4op FM synth.

Another I've seen mentioned is Z3ta+, which has an Ableton look to it.

I do most of my ideas with the synths in Gadget though, it's fantastic.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Anybody using ifretless guitar getting midi feedback? I'm using chordpolypad and all the notes are getting stuck.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I used midiflow and there's nothing seemingly wrong with anything but ifretless.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I know it's not nearly cheap or free, but I wasn't satisfied with midi handling until I got Cubasis.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Animoog still has that bug where the LFO rate is only normal at 256 samples in Audiobus though.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Korg discounts stuff all the time. I wish module were half off too though. :mrwhite:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It's a sale though! Consume consume consume

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Gadget's on sale right now and owns.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The drum grid in Garage Band?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Full DAW production is still very much the realm of computers though; I wouldn't really advise teaching yourself production with Cubasis or Auria. iPads are good at a lot of things, but definitely more on the old gear emulation/weird sound maker/sketch producer/MIDI controller side of things rather than the production side.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

FLUX:FX

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

FLUX:FX is a wonderful app with lots of different effects, so if you just need tape delay, it might be overkill. It's also very very resource hungry and has pegged the CPU on my Air 1 before. Kymatica is a great dev and I would probably own all of their effects if I didn't have flux.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

So here's something I've been kicking around, done 95% on Gadget: https://soundcloud.com/epaulet/kingfish

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Feenix posted:

I really like it!

Thanks! I got another one:

(the cover was also made in ios)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Anyone else using iVoxel? I've been having tons of fun pretending to be Imogen Heap lately.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Oh this is delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

For what purpose?

• Locked thread