Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

derekcooper posted:

I've found a few on YouTube that go over what some of the gadgets do but really playing around is the only thing that's helped me.

I kind of found that's probably the best way to get to know a synth. Analog or digital. That's how the musical pioneers had to do it, right :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

Get some gadget in your life.

This right here. Also take a look at the Cubasis app. It's pretty full featured traditional DAW.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

magnificent7 posted:

Just curious - how come nobody likes Garageband for this stuff? At one point I dove deep into all the other stuff, spent a lot of time on Tabletop, buying the add ons, trying to do stuff, and then came back to Garageband and, well, honestly it's got some really good stuff - the looping, the synth modifying, piano roll... the one thing I'm not thrilled about is the lack of master effects. (This is all on my iPhone, btw.)

What does Gadget or iMaschine or any of those things do above and beyond plain old garageband?

Pretty much go with whatever works for you. The only rule is there are no rules. If you need mastering, get one of the apps by Igor Vasiliev and Audiobus.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

On that subject, are there any other must-haves besides Gadget? I have a handful of the Korg apps already, but these are the ones I'm specifically considering:

-iWAVESTATION
-ARP ODESSEi
-Module
-iM1

I mostly know what these sound like (though I'm less familiar with Module & M1) so I'm curious if any of them really do interesting/useful things that may not be apparent from videos.

Since no one else seems to have mentioned it, check out Studio Amplify's KRFT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEi91adzaSw

It even has MIDI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaE0sVO6hg8

• Locked thread