Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
I just got myself an Akai IPK25 and it's pretty cool, especially with nanostudio/ivoxel. Does anyone know of any other apps that support it (beatmaker2 maybe)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

xzzy posted:

How does it compare to NanoStudio?

Because going off the screenshots, they look functionally identical. Googling around, some seem to think beatmaker has a better drum sequencer. And Beatmaker is sample only, while Nano lets you do some synth.

So I guess it comes down to how well the interface works.

Beatmaker is a lot better at working with samples (it even has its own ReCycle-style chopping tool), but you're correct about it not having synths and it doesn't support the Akai ipk25 either.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

holy poo poo
I already wanted an iPad for djay but that new Nanostudio looks incredible. So much more to play with at once. Easier looping would be a blast as well.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

I love Grain Science a whole bunch. you can apply time-based automation to almost every single parameter in it, record new samples directly into the grain units for new synth fuckery, and it's got that "supercharge" that channels all the synth voices into one note. I'm kind of at a loss to find something it isn't good at doing. I keep meaning to mess with addictive or arctic keys but I just keep starting up grainsci instead.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

So there's this thing called audiobus that should be done soon.
http://audiob.us/faq

this is a BIG DEAL
this thing allows programs to stream audio to one another in the same way that virtual MIDI is sent around between programs.

this means that you can have a mixer, lookin' something like this:
http://audiobus.tumblr.com/post/23295998001/connection-panel-remote-triggers
and with this mixer you can record all your programs at once. you can even send the audio over wifi to another iDevice.

so for example you could have a bunch of synths running on an iPad (i like using Grain Science and DM1 at the same time, for instance), which you then connect via audiobus to an iPod touch running Loopy to loop your poo poo. (apparently one of the Loopy devs is working on this thing)
or, one of the developers just posted about being able to run SoundPrism through NLog's FX section.
http://discchord.com/blog/2012/8/23/nlog-officially-supports-audiobus.html
fuckin' interprogram FX.

if this poo poo is approved by apple (and implemented by lots of audio programs), we'll all basically be able to use iDevices as FX modules/loopers/instruments all feeding into one another. like a crazy meta-mixer.

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 29, 2012

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

I emailed wooji juice (makers of Hokusai and Grain Science) asking about audiobus support, here's their response:

quote:

I'm interested in Audiobus and may add support for it, but as I have yet to see any concrete information about it, I don't yet know. When I can try Audiobus for myself, see how it works, and check out the SDK, then I'll be in a position to make a decision; so far, the Audiobus team have only shared the details with a small group of their friends and a couple of "big name" developers (eg Korg).

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

i asked fingerlab about DM1 supporting it as well but they just said they were more concerned with updating MIDI at the moment (as well as the userkits and FX stuff), which is cool too. also they say the update is coming on nov. 1st. (this is all via their facebook)

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 6, 2012

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

have you guys seen Samplr? it looks real neat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsoXVhc-BO8

you can load up 6 samples at a time and do some pretty detailed, in-depth manipulation.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

question: is FunkBox better than DM1 or functionally equivalent (apart from being audiobus-capable)?

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

After examining funkbox a bit I'd say it has a worse interface but a bit more capable with MIDI. the clock sync works well and you can use a separate step sequencer to program a bassline, which can send itself to any MIDI-capable synth. The pitch tweaking of custom samples is a bit bugged though, I often find the samples to be pitched way too low when I tweaked them to be only a little lower than usual.

does Multitrack DAW have side-chain compression? I see that it has a compressor but there are several apps that have compressors but only two with side-chaining (SunVox and BeatMaker 2). I suppose I could wait for BM2 but there's no indication when it'll get updated for audiobus.

edit: according to a video I watched that was posted yesterday BM2 should have audiobus support soon. video showed BM2 taking input from sunrizer and funkbox on 2 separate channels, sidechaining should be totally doable.

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 17, 2012

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

The only thing Traktor can't seem to deal with well is slowing down tracks to a ridiculous degree (like 120 to 70). Also I'm not sure there's a way to turn off keylock. (i like chopped&screwed)

Also it doesn't support any USB audio interfaces/MIDI controllers except for some lame traktor hardware but I hope it will soon at least support coreaudio USB for dual stereo output. It has split-headphone cueing but gently caress that.

Overall its really cool and I'm probably gonna use it but the most feature-rich app is still DJ Player.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

to anyone with Cubasis: is it worth the $50 even if you have beatmaker 2? beatmaker 2 seems to be able to do most of what cubasis can do, but cubasis looks like it has a much smoother interface.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

guys, Turnado:
http://www.sugar-bytes.de/content/products/Turnado/

super-capable FX VST gets ported to the iPad, audiobus and MIDI in/out/clock already there. thing is crazy, i'm definitely sellin my kaosspad now.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

FLX posted:

That looks interesting. I guess you'll need a USB audio interface connected to your iPad for this?

yeah, if you're using external sound sources I suppose. it sits in the audiobus FX slot though so you can just do that for all your ipad sound sources.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

grab yourself a lighting -> usb adapter and a behringer uca202. the app needs to support using an external interface and the inputs on the uca202 are red/white RCA, but it sounds pretty good. also doesn't require a powered USB hub.
edit: to be clear i don't play a guitar but i play tape decks and monotrons and poo poo into the ipad using the uca202 and it works.

does anyone know much about what iOS7 is going to do for music apps? they're doing native support for inter-app audio, i'm hoping this entails a competent MIDI implementation as well.

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 12, 2013

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

samplr supports audiocopy and has a function to record from the microphone. the dude who makes it said he was going to release a big update soon... 3 months ago :(. i really hope he releases it, it's pretty much my favorite music app.

edit: and iostream i was assuming you were using an ipad, i don't think the lighting -> usb adapter works with iphones.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

Yalborap posted:

what would be the best one to look at for a decent mix of works with a drat without being too difficult to figure out how to do stuff in it?

DJ Player or djay 2. Traktor is also good but I don't like it as much as djay 2, which has almost all of traktor's features now.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

yes, though you should just learn to beat-match duder it's realllyyyyyy easy. i honestly don't trust most syncing software. pretty much the only things missing from djay2 imo are harmonic mix analysis, support for MIDI as a whole (as opposed to support just for specific controllers), maybe a better FX implementation (no resonance on the filters, what the gently caress?), and maybe 4 decks like DJ Player. DJ Player is quite professional, it has MIDI and wayyy better FX and 4 decks but the interface just doesn't quite flow smoothly for me.

edit: and yeah, one of my main gripes with traktor is that alot of the functionality seems pretty dependent on the beatgrid, like cue points (as someone already said). i like having a beatgrid available but i don't like depending on it.

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 16, 2013

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

to anyone who has Cubasis: does it have a sidechain input on the compressor? it looks great otherwise but if it doesn't have sidechaining then i'd regret spending $50 on it.

edit: according to the audiobus forum there is not. well that's silly.

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 26, 2013

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

hypersleep posted:

Heads-up for iOS music app enthusiasts: DO NOT UPDATE TO IOS 7. There are more than a few music apps that aren't compatible or exhibit bugginess.

do you have links to more info on this? i was planning to update to iOS 7 to try to get in on that inter-app audio stuff as soon as i could.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

guys: gadget is good. if you're looking for something that will help you put together club bangers of many types, gadget is designed to do poo poo like that. they have multiple synths just to nail common synth sounds in current EDM. they have brussels, an anthem synth with unison detune and 'pump' (sidechaining to the kick) and miami, a synth that is designed for wubs and has a formant filter combined with a bitcrusher specifically designed to give you that grainy "YUHYUHYOYOY" sound.

if you want something to help you make that kind of thing, get gadget. when audiobus and MIDI IN/OUT/CLOCK get added you'll be able to fill in the cracks in gadget synths with some other iOS synth, like thor or sunrizer or some poo poo.

there are things i wish it had. an awesome sampler with chopping (ala samplr but that probably won't happen) would be great for making techno and using your own poo poo for percussion. but it's a good start and probably worth the money.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

if you just mean MIDI controllers, maybe arpist or chordion? you can use them both with audiobus stuff

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

hey guys AUDIOBUS 2 came out. it's a free upgrade for AB1 owners, but the ability to have multiple separate audio app chains is a $5 IAP. also has preset saving.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

OP still updating the thread? if not should we have a new one?

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

gently caress Your Website posted:

Why do you need a new one

there have been so many developments since the OP was last edited, audiobus came and has been superseded by audiobus 2, samplr happened, Thor, Effectrix, so much...

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

you could use the headphone port as a line-in?

or, if you need that for output, you can use a behringer UCA-202/222 with a usb-idevice adapter
the 202 i mentioned is like $30, adapter another $20/30.

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 7, 2014

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

get audioshare to make swapping audio rly easy, audiobus for obv. reasons, and samplr if you have an ipad

Sugarbytes ports of turnado,WOW,and effectrix and the AUFX series of apps are good FX apps, compatible with audiobus

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

if you're heavy into synths i suggest both sunrizer and thor, thor is more flexible but sunrizer has a great, thick sound while still having a very good layout (almost every parameter is on one screen and wisely placed, keys included). thor is great and capable of more synthesis types than sunrizer but i wish its user interface were designed a little better like sunrizer :\

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 13, 2014

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

if anyone's interested, there's a music group collab going on in another subforum and all my submissions were made mainly with Samplr on iPad:
https://soundcloud.com/illegalknife/sets/adn-project-2014

sometimes i use a monotron delay hooked into a tascam so i can provide ambient noise or vocals, but other than that it's all sampling.
some proof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxpCksCzgcQ

more proof later :)

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

and more proof!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRPjX4WiR9Q

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

yeah man. i dont know if you care for my poo poo (soundcloud.com/illegalknife) but i make ALL of it with an ipad plus controllers or mics. poo poo is very advanced, only getting moreso. this excites me since my macbook was stolen... but not my ipad air :D. coke fiends are dumb and impulsive

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

in case anyone in this thread is still without Samplr, i made another vid with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSYdNEgpkyM

i know i use it alot but that's because it feels like an actual instrument to me, it makes so much sense. you don't program Samplr, you play it, you perform it, and that's what I love about it :)

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

Stux posted:

Are there any apps that can? Basically looking for something as analogous as possible to a DAW and VST/AU type deal.

beatmaker 2 syncs with things fairly well and it can do what you want with drums

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

Gadget is the best music app on iOS, bar none.

gadget is one of the best drum apps available atm (being able to do triplets is apparently some sort of dark art), but the best music app is samplr imo

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

there are apps that do what samplr does better tho, samplr just combines all the essentials well.

for instance, abu dhabi / egoist is a more in-depth slicer/arpeggiator, idensity is a more flexible implementation of granular synthesis than samplr's ebow, etc.

however, i usually end up recording the output of either of those apps into samplr in the end anyway so i can gently caress with it more easily. i would love it if a fictional samplr 2.0 brought in those features from other apps tho.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

https://www.ableton.com/en/link/

ableton designed a new synchronization technology that doesn't rely on midi clock and it works between ios devices without live.

gonna be seriously cool. it can work over wireless because it isn't sending an actual clock, it just sends the song position and tempo, so there isn't a bunch of data constantly being sent to play in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

if you want to transmit midi or audio between your ipad and a computer i would suggest the app musicIO. it lets you transmit both over the normal lightning cable

as for ableton link, you can sync that poo poo up over a wireless network just fine, no need for bluetooth

• Locked thread