Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Virsyn just released an iPad version of their Poseidon VST and it's :10bux: .

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2015/11/09/virsyn-releases-poseidon-synth-for-ipad/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Some mighty sweet pre-Black Friday deals here (crossposted in synth thread):

http://discchord.com/blog/2015/11/2...-wednesday.html

This list has already changed between Tuesday and Wednesday so expect several refreshes over the next two days, and probably on Cyber Monday(ugh) too.

If history repeats itself and we get lucky you can expect to see all of the Korg apps on that list come Friday.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Moog (66% off) and Virsyn (50% off) apps are now on sale.

Firo is free (normally $20).

Lotsa other new discounted apps too. Just, like, quadrupled the size of my virtual "rack" while watching football.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Korg apps and expansions are all 50% off until December 28.

lord funk posted:

TC-11 is $15 off (only $9.99)
TC-Data is $10 off (only $9.99)

Basically buy both of them for and you got TC-11 for free. :)

You're so dope right now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I can't decide if I want to get an iElectribe to jam along to, or a TC-11 to solo and accompany with. I've never done any synth production, I'd be looking for something that I could just plug into a mixer in a live situation.
Also, I've been sitting on a PreSonus AudioBox iTwo for going on a year now and need to find a way to patch the tracking together with other projects so I could start making mobile projects a-la "The Fall." Hence why I'd be interested in a beat machine and a nice, smooth synth.

You sound like you could use a Gadget.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
How do the popular synth apps do on the iPad Pro? I think Korg's been using one running Gadget to show off the new Nanos at NAMM, but I otherwise haven't heard or seen anything about its adoption among music app users.

I'd be tempted to replace my iPad Air 1 with one if I weren't scared of it being a potentially broken experience. And I imagine that you can't splitscreen portrait-orientation apps even if they'd theoretically fit on the screen stacked one on top of the other, to say nothing of how Audiobus would handle it. It's a shame because the obvious draw of the Pro to me is the splitscreen capability.

Anyway, have a Cool New Thing:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/01/22/yamaha-wireless-midi-adaptors-add-bluetooth-to-your-existing-gear/

Aside from the potential of turning almost any controller into a Gadget controller, I hope this'll incentivize more people to use iOS creatively with their older gear in other ways.

TC-Data (MIDI controller sister app to TC-11) has been out for a few years now but a (hopefully) cheap, easy Bluetooth adapter would make interfacing it with, say, a Juno-106 a MUCH more compelling proposition than it would've been in the past.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dessert Rose posted:

Holy crap. When did it go universal? I will use this so much more on my 6s+.

I put it on my phone.

I PUT IT ON MY PHONE

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i tried it and it just reminded me im a hardware dude
it seems like someone not turned off by the whole software thing could do some cool poo poo with it

hardware dudes can get these for $50 each now

Imagine running something like TC-Data to any synth built since the advent of 5-pin MIDI wirelessly.

#touchedbyadongle

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The_Wind_Spirit posted:

Does anybody here use the IAP sampler instruments in Gadget? The Bilbao and Abu Dabhi? I was wondering if I should get either, both, some external sampler app, or just forgo the entire notion of using samples on the iPad.

Both have been praised and recommended a few times in this thread, but I don't personally have them yet. I figured I'd wait until the next promotion.

A lot of us including myself use and really love the standalone Samplr, but it's not exactly the same thing. I'd easily recommend it tho.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MrSargent posted:

These are probably dumb questions but do apps like iMaschine2 and Samplr come with samples already or have the ability to record samples? I am worried about the space I have on my iPad/iPhone for storing lots of samples and am just curious how these typically work. Is it possible to connect my iDevice to my laptop and load samples from my computer to my phone?

Yes.

There are lots of different ways ranging from Dropboxing/emailing poo poo to yourself to music apps that have their own built in cloud services to using iOS-compatible physical storage media to dedicated routing and packaging apps like Audiobus and AudioShare.

If you're serious about really messing around with this stuff then I'd look into those two apps (Audiobus and AudioShare) in particular. They're a few dollars each and virtually everything works with them. The first one is a routing platform for instruments/effects/recorders/samplers and the second lets you easily move stuff about.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

Whats the best sounding small, cheap, solid state combo? Need it for noodling in my apartment where I cant have it louder than TV volume. That meant the twin reverb had to go.

Vox DA5, Fender Mustang I, Roland Micro Cube, Yamaha THR10?

Wait, how does playing an iOS device through a guitar amp work?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
^^^^Get that app^^^^

Electric Bugaloo in the Synth Thread posted:

Ok, so I downloaded the Model 15 app on Tuesday and I've had a few opportunities to dick around with it on an iPad Air 1 and iPhone 6 since then. So far I've felt fine on both devices, although the older iPad has felt a bit warm during use. I admittedly haven't pushed it super hard with a buttload of other apps running yet but it feels snappy enough that I'd trust it to be fine. The "patch bay" interface for routing to other apps/places is a clever touch.

The UI is dope and all of the little hidden usability tweaks place it head and shoulders above almost every other virtual synth app I've tried. It's that good. It's really fluid and there's a ton of depth here- lots of stuff that the promos don't even mention- and it's apparent that Moog and the developers put a ton of work and care into it. This app requires you to read the manual and probably watch a few YouTube videos. Believe the WWDC hype about Metal as well, I guess.

"Double-tap to place a patch cable" and "toggle cable translucency on/off" need to be adopted by every other modular app (I'm looking at the KORG ones like iMS-20 here in particular).

The iPhone interface is largely a shrunken-down version of the iPad one. It's definitely quite usable but I also feel like it takes a backseat to the tablet UI. You move about and zoom in/out on the same virtual Model 15 "cabinet" that you would on the iPad but you're working from a much smaller display. Chalk it up to the cost of releasing a single universal app instead of separate iPad/iPhone versions.

Like with KORG Gadget, I'm perfectly ok with this. It's probably way too finicky to do anything serious on unless you're, like, 12, but it's flexible enough that you can noodle about and/or learn a bit about modular synthesis on it from the comfort of the bus/work/the line at Chipotle/your bed/the forest/your bro's house/the bathroom/the doctor's office/a Hong Kong brothel. I comfortably did the first two tutorials on my phone in bed while my girlfriend slept next to me. The app definitely shines more on a tablet, and the phone version feels more like a nice companion to that. On paper, they're both equally capable, however, with the same ins/outs including (polyphonic, USB/wireless) CoreMIDI and Ableton Link, among others.

Regardless, the sound quality is pretty awesome. I've had a lot of fun just plugging in a pair of ATH-M50 and dicking about with the presets. Especially after blazing. It's a wonderful, wonderful sounding softsynth.

For $30, I'd say it's worth it- even just as a learning tool or fun diversion. The real deal costs $10k. If you can spend $250 on a Microbrute or $600 on a Mother32 you can spend $30 on this. And if you can't spend hundreds on hardware, then this is the new best poor man's alternative.

When I last checked, there were only two tutorials available. If Moog really stick with this and add tons more I could see it becoming a really valuable gateway to ease people into modular. But even if they don't, this is still a really faithful, responsive emulation of a beloved analog synth- there are a bevy of tutorials that one could feasibly work through using nothing more than this app and maybe a MIDI controller if one were so inclined.

I'm sure it runs better on newer hardware, but as I said before, it's not remotely bad on my slightly older gear. I'm pleased that they baked in support for iPad Pro features like the Pencil and bigger screen- if only because I was already planning to upgrade my iPad to a Pro.

Here's the SonicState dudes going on about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YIC0k7KQyM&t=582s

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

lord funk posted:

TC-11 3.0 update released today! And on sale for 50% off for a week! (June 8-15)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zrnAJq8j-U

Have you let SonicState know? They're pretty pro-iOS in their coverage.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

JHVH-1 posted:

I think I might pick up a couple of the $5 gadgets on sale, and the new Kamata one before its too late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDmgRv3G5-Q

I added the Korg NanoKey Studio bluetooth midi controller to my amazon wishlist. Maybe I'll get lucky and someone will buy me it for my upcoming birthday. If not I'll buy it myself, because I think it will make using gadget even more fun.

I want one too.
Keyboard Mag gave it a glowing review http://www.keyboardmag.com/control-surfaces/1211/review-korg-nanokey-studio/58524

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

You need an Apple Camera Connection Kit, and fortunately (if what I'm seeing is true), the Minilab doesn't need additional power from a USB hub nor AC adapter
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...EQwg8IGw&adurl=

As far as synth software goes, apps run the gamut from free/cheap to really expensive. Fortunately lots of them come with feature-limited editions so he can get his feet wet and try before he buys.

If you want to stretch or share the cost, Korg has a Bluetooth keyboard (nanoKEY Studio) that doesn't require the connection kit. I wouldn't recommend it over the Minilab, save for two reasons: it's cordless and has built-in scales, chords, and arpeggiator patterns. Downsides: it's more expensive, even without the CCK and there are very few used pieces, and the keys (though velocity sensitive) are pretty lackluster.

You're a great person for this gift, because it is 100% a give a mouse a cookie scenario.

To jump in, there are also (both wired and wireless) NanoKEY versions that are a lot cheaper than the Studio and don't have pads/knobs/touchpad, but they're definitely made more for portability and toughness than playability.

If you're looking for something that's going to live on a desk then you're totally better off getting something with real keys.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Splinter posted:

I'm considering getting a used iPad for the sole purpose of adding it to my desktop music production setup, running MIDI into the iPad and audio out to Ableton rather than building complete tracks within the iPad. I'm primarily looking at various synth apps as well as TouchOSC (or other control apps). More specifically, I'm looking at Thor, ReBirth, Animoog and a few of the Korg offerings.

Couple questions:

1. What iPad models should I look at? How old can I go before the specs start to limit my app choice or cause noticeably reduced performance or sound quality? I'm looking for a non-mini model for more screen real estate and/or larger GUI elements.

2. How do the synth apps compare to their VST counterparts in terms of sound quality? Do the iPad apps have to use worse analog modeling algorithms due to processor limitations, or are they pretty much the same as their VST counterparts. For example, is the Thor iPad app nearly identical sound wise as using Thor in Reason?

An Air 2- particularly a refurb- can be had pretty cheap at this point. I wouldn't consider anything older given the prices. I've filled a 32gb Air with a couple of large synth and control apps so I also wouldn't recommend less than 64gb. The rumor is that Apple is updating/potentially price dropping iPads in March, so I'd stay tuned if you're not planning to buy right away.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Splinter posted:

Performance wise is there a big difference between the Air and Air 2 for synth apps though? It looks like used Airs are a good deal cheaper than refurb or used Air 2s. I'd like to refrain from springing for the latest and greatest before I'm sure an iPad will end up being a permanent fixture in my music production setup. Regardless, I can definitely wait to see if anything happens in March.

It's a massive upgrade in terms of internals, and synth apps are actually one of the places where the benefits become really apparent. TBH, I wouldn't necessarily recommend an Air 2 over an Air to most budget-conscious buyers but I absolutely would in your case. I've gotten an Air to hiccup with a few intensive apps going.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

On that subject, are there any other must-haves besides Gadget? I have a handful of the Korg apps already, but these are the ones I'm specifically considering:

-iWAVESTATION
-ARP ODESSEi
-Module
-iM1

I mostly know what these sound like (though I'm less familiar with Module & M1) so I'm curious if any of them really do interesting/useful things that may not be apparent from videos.

I have iM1 and ODYSSEi and I'd consider them both pretty essential- they also manifest as instruments within Gadget (albeit I think the Odyssey might have a bit less depth there than in its standalone app, maybe I'm wrong? Idk I'm tired).

The M1 was used ALL OVER popular and commercial music in the late 80s and 90s (the Seinfeld theme was played on an M1 with the 'slap bass' patch) and the app is a super faithful port- it even supports loading actual M1 patches. It's really super powerful, esp when you consider what a real M1 costs.

I don't have Module or Wavestation yet but they're on my radar.

Are you specifically looking at Korg apps, or are you interested in anything else? I'd say that all of the Moog apps are pretty much "must buy" too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Only asking about Korg because they're on sale at the moment and I just bought a new iPad mini with enough memory to actually have a good handful of apps handy. I'm definitely planning to grab Model 15 (already have Animoog and Filtatron), but I'll probably wait til it's half-off again.

Yeah that's the smart way to go. If you don't have a routing app or a way to easily export/clip yet I'd grab Audiobus and probably AudioShare too.

Do you have a keyboard/controller? There are tons of ways to go: wired or wireless, portable or full-size, adaptor-based or purpose-built. You can buy a dongle to make your midi/USB keyboard Bluetooth compatible. As great as multitouch is, you hit the limitations pretty quickly.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

W424 posted:

I was going to answer "like 50€?" But cheked ebay... so M1's are vintage now :aaaaa:

Yeah- like cars of the same era, a lot of 20-30 year old synths are rising in value at the same time that many of them are dying or breaking and needing lots of age-related repairs. Makes the value of clean/restored ones skyrocket.

• Locked thread