Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
FL Studio Mobile (http://www.image-line.com/documents/flstudiomobile.html) has just launched for iOS for $20.

Anyone get a chance to try it out yet? I'm a piss-poor digital musician, so I'm probably not a good judge, but it looks like it's got the kind of step sequencer / piano roll editor features that I found sadly lacking in Garage Band. I might miss the automatic accompanists from GB, but FL might have that kind of capability through loops or something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, basically, my question is, is the iPad 3 REALLY a big enough upgrade to the 2 to justify paying for it, or does the 2 pretty much take care of anything I would need? For reference I do mostly sound design (but also some music composition) and run Logic Studio at home,so Garageband is definitely appealing to me, as well as Alchemy.

The main difference between the 2 and the 3 is the screen. If you never intend to do anything else but run music apps, you'd probably never miss the features on the 3. If you're going to be reading on your iPad or want higher resolution for games/video games the screen on the 3 is so much nicer than the screen on the 2.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, I have considered using it for things like Skype, Kindle, etc... but the 2 shouldn't be impossible to use for those, is it? I don't really care that the resolution is worse, only that it's acceptable.

I'd just hate to go buy a 2, and then find out that <insert like, 12 awesome music apps> aren't available for it. If the majority/all listed in the OP are iPad 2 compatible, then I'm good.

EDIT: That being said, is there a substantial list of music apps that aren't compatible with 2?

Well I didn't hate the resolution the 2 until I got the 3, so 'acceptable' certainly seems to be true. I am not aware of any apps that are exclusive to the 3 at the moment. From a business standpoint it would be super dumb to have your product not work on 10-15 million iPad 2s that aren't even 18 months old. That may change going forward, but I'd expect it to be at least an additional year before that starts coming up.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Symphony Pro is apparently not available in the US right now? What's a decent app for writing/editing and especially transposing sheet music on an iPad?

• Locked thread