Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FLX posted:

Beatmaker 2 is 50% off (i.e. $9.99) until friday!

How does it compare to NanoStudio?

Because going off the screenshots, they look functionally identical. Googling around, some seem to think beatmaker has a better drum sequencer. And Beatmaker is sample only, while Nano lets you do some synth.

So I guess it comes down to how well the interface works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Little MIDI Machine update came out (best part: it's free), but it can't sync via multitasking from what I can tell.

I was expecting some kind of magic similar to the way that modrum and bassline work, but either that magic isn't there, or I'm too dumb to figure it out. :confused:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does anyone know of an app that facilitates getting samples off the web (either mp3 or wav format), and putting them into the pasteboard?

Desired result is getting samples into the DAW apps without using a PC.

I tried using some of the generic "download manager" apps that are out there, but couldn't find one that lets me copy stuff into the paste buffer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Crunk Abortion posted:

iPad only :(

I hate that so much. :mad:

As near as I can tell, iPhone/iPod development for music apps has pretty much stopped.

Looks like I'll be sticking with my lovely NanoStudio.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Precisely.. I got track editors coming out my ears.

But synths are a rarity.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd give a kidney to have the iMS-20 on my iPod. :argh:

Even if it was a toned down version, kind of like what they did with the DS-10 (which is a really neat sounding synth, too).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FLX posted:

For $0.99 you can't go wrong with it.

Well, you can if you're me. On startup all the graphics are stuffed in the lower left corner, taking up 1/4 of the screen. Even the control bar is down there. However, touches still register where they're "supposed" to be. Like, I can get stuff to play if I tap in the upper right corner.

:iiam:

It does look cool, I'm sure it'll get better as time goes on. First releases never go well.

(using an ipod 4 for this)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I assume they're banking on the fact that nostalgia will get people to ignore the price tag.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The update for Rhythm Studio is out, for people (like me) with an ipod4.

Not really sold on the virtual desktop thing quite yet, but the tones are neat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone in these parts use Aurora Sound Studio?

Reviews for it are kind of mixed, most people just bitching about it being "too complicated". I love step sequencers and am curious how it does.

I guess I could just buy it (only $10) but I figured it's just as easy to ask.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nanostudio and Beatmaker 2 are functionally equivalent, but I like Nanostudio better. It feels more polished.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The nanostudio synth is a bit on the limited side, but it's flexible enough you can get some neat sounds out of it with a bit of tweaking.

I do agree the presets it comes with kind of suck. There's a thread on the blipinteractive forums with some extra patches you can install.. some of them are pretty cool.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

I was hoping for Nanostudio's universal update.
Well if it's any consolation, the nanostudio guy has said he's not adding anything to nanostudio until the ipad version is done.. so the next update will be "the one."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Wow, thanks a lot for those, I didn't realize you could load sound banks like that. I'm really just a newbie at Nanostudio.

It's quite easy to do your own too.. set up banks in the PC/Mac version of NanoStudio, save it, navigate to the nanostudio folder, and drag the trg folder over NanoSync to send it to your iOS device.

I find this easier to do than importing samples on the device, anyway.

(you can also skip the nanostudio part if you really want.. the "trg banks" are actually just folders full of wav files, and an XML text file that nanostudio uses to assign the samples)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A lot of developers only focus on the newest generation of hardware, it's unfortunate but that's just the way it is. This tends to create issues with older hardware.

My 4th gen ipod has been rock solid.. I can't think of a single music app crash since I bought it last year, and it has relatively modest hardware compared to all the pads and phones.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

jwvgoethe posted:

can someone explain to a complete synth newbie what these Korg apps are and why I should buy them? I've been playing with the guitar amp simulators which are great, but am at a loss about these.

Because synthesizers are awesome. They take waveforms and pipe it into a speaker, making noises.

They turn your iOS device into an instrument. That is, it fills the role of your guitar.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DS-10 is what finally allowed synthesizers "click" for me, and based on the screenshots, I think the iMS-20 should about the same. I just don't have an iPad to be able to try it out.

Korg seems to do a better job of making synths accessible than anyone else I've encountered.

I just wish they'd put out a synth for small screen iOS devices. :argh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FLX posted:

:siren: Aaaaand NanoStudio is finally universal: http://appshopper.com/music/nanostudio

The best christmas present.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Dark Wind posted:

I just got nano studio, the thing is super intuitive and easy to use. Is there a way to add your own samples? And am I restricted to only using drum kits instead of individual drum samples loaded up pad by pad?

You can bring in your own samples. And you can build your own drum kits. I build my drum kits on the Mac version because I find it easier to import the samples on my desktop, and then transfer the bank with NanoSync.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

haunted sleep posted:

Animoog for iPhone is out, introductory pricing of 99¢. Requires iPhone 4 or 4S, or iPod touch 4th gen.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy. :fap:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FLX posted:

At least the mods can embed YouTube videos and I think there are also options regarding embedded videos in the user control panel.

If you use a 'video' forum tag, anyone can embed a video. It's kind of finicky about the url though.. extra slashes and stuff tend to break it.

Embedded videos only show up if they're enabled in the user's control panel preferences.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only thing I don't like about NanoStudio is the lack of multisampling.. samples sound so ridiculous once you get away from C3. :negative:

More oscillators would be nice, but I'm not sure it's possible with the limited horsepower iOS devices can provide. Maybe new ones could do it, but certainly not anything older than a year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, most apps have the ability to use a cut and paste feature to pass audio clips around.

There are albums out there that were made entirely on iOS devices, so it certainly can be done.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

These tracks were done entirely in nanostudio:

http://nanomaquina.cellmod.net/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MoDrum is pretty good, but it's geared more for electronic music.

I use NanoStudio for drums a lot too, mostly because it lets you import samples.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Any line to usb adapter is going to show up as a microphone to the os, so I would think that nearly all of them would just work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, NanoStudio has a midi export in the tools area (the wrench when looking at the track editor).

No idea why it isn't under the main menu where you save your project, but whatever. It works.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Startyde posted:

I'm very excited about this, won't have much time to play with it this weekend because of PAX. For people on the edge (why? it's a dollar.), it reminds me a bit of Opcode M. I would really like if they added pattern chaining and a couple more channels, but would be satisfied with MIDI out. At the moment it's just a toy, a good one though!

Yeah, 10 minutes with it and I'm in love. The interface is significantly better than iKaossilator, I really dig the indicators for where your finger is.. iKaossilator always had problems picking specific notes and the little spinny dial on Figure fixes it nicely.

Being able to mod the stock sounds opens a lot of doors, and the drum system is night and day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The total omission of saving or exporting is a pretty glaring flaw.. I'm going to assume it'll show up in an update in the future because it's kind of a basic assumption that all iOS music apps have export options.

Guess they intended it as nothing more than a jamming tool? Which it's really good at, I'll give them that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd say iKaossilator is even easier, because there's fewer variables to fidget with.

It does some other cool stuff too, you can swap in tracks from other saves from the current session which makes performing a track pretty convenient. You can also tweak the length of a loop, meaning you could have a 2 measure drum loop and a 16 measure lead loop.

But I don't find it as fun as Figure.. the interface is inferior and the canned sounds aren't as varied.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

soundcloud seems to be the most popular with goons, but tindeck is another good one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love the heck out of nanostudio so much, I never even considered buying any of the others.

So I guess I can't say that nanostudio is the best, but it certainly does everything I need.

It's only real flaw/limitation is lack of multisampling.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Feenix posted:

Update on Glitchbreaks. The developer told me on The Twitter that he submitted to Apple last week and it will be $4.99.

Super, maybe he'll be able to afford a stereo cable so he can record audio off the headphone jack instead of the mic on his camera. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What's everyone's favorite sample/wave editor under iOS? The recent iKaossilator update gave it audiopaste capability, which is cool, but software like Sunrizer has a habit of padding clips with silence on the ends, which sounds really bad when iKaossilator loops it.

The only editor I have that supports audiopaste is NanoStudio, which I guess is sufficient, but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on a dedicated editor that does it "better".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Saving seems like such a minor thing but goddamn if I don't appreciate the poo poo out of having it available.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can almost do it in Figure by loading a new track, but there's a slight hitch when tapping songs in the file browser that ruins it.

iKaossilator is much, much better at it as you can tap individual parts from saved songs to play pices on demand.. which allows you to compose songs if you want. Can't automate the play but it gets you closer to songwriting than Figure does.

But neither app really tries to be a sequencer. They're more of a jam/performance type deal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aww man when I clicked that video I was hoping to watch you strap an iphone to a hard drive platter and spin it up to 10,000 rpm.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lord funk posted:

Sorry to disappoint. Next time I know what to do. :v:
Spoiler alert: sticky tape ain't enough, and don't be in the room when you press start.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd be okay with the price if they made more stuff for iphone sized screens. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GlitchMachine operates on a similar theme to that app.. writing equations to make noise.

It's functionally equivalent, costs the same, but has more of a low bitrate feeling to the sounds it makes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_GqiL6zLiw

• Locked thread