Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hey iOS people,

I'm kind of thinking about maaaaaaybe possibly getting an iPad to replace most of my hardware gear - I love my hardware, but I really have some major issues with space and I think a compact iPad-centered solution might work for me. I'd like to ask you guys about some things that I'm still not sure about after looking at stuff on the internet, because I've done enough jumping into things without asking around and planning properly first.

App-wise I'm mostly interested in the Nanostudio and the iPolysix - do they support multiple MIDI devices? It's apparently possible to connect several separate MIDI controllers to one iPad, but would it be possible to assign, say, two keyboards to two different synths on either of these two apps while fiddling around with knobs and sliders on a NanoKONTROL (or an equivalent) to control a third synth, for example? What apps and devices would I need to do something like this? I want to be able to perform stuff live with at least two people playing synth lines live and twisting knobs and poo poo.

e: Also, how much of a hassle would such a setup be, if viable in the first place?

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

FLX posted:

NanoStudio has a great MIDI implementation. I never connected more than one USB keyboard to it, but you can assign an individual MIDI channel to each instrument and even map MIDI CCs to a bunch of parameters (volume, pan, XY pad axes, etc.). iPolySix only supports one MIDI device as far as I know and has fixed MIDI CC mappings.

There a a lot of great apps for the iPad, especially single instrument apps like the Korg stuff, Animoog, Tenori-On, etc. but you might need more than one iPad to really put up a performance, since there is no universal multitasking or global app management functionality. Also, sequencer apps are still not the tightest. The iPad makes a great and versatile companion, but I don't think it can replace a hardware setup or music workstation laptop yet.

Thanks!

I dunno, it does sound like it would be plenty possible to perform live with Nanostudio if you've got a couple of keyboards and some knobs or something, at least. I would probably keep some of my hardware anyway, though, like for piano duty. Is it possible make MIDI OUT tracks in Nanostudio to control hardware synths?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Alright. Not having MIDI out on the Nanostudio isn't that much of a dealbreaker seeing as it does everything else for such a tiny price tag. I can work around that or just get the second iPad somewhere down the line, no big deal.

Goddamn I'm getting a bit too excited about this. I could apparently just get the iPad, a powered USB hub and the controllers and I'd be pretty much all set, and selling just a part of my hardware would already pay for that. Maybe it's best if I finish my current album before I start getting into this, though.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Yeah, I'm definitely going with just buying an iPad first and seeing how poo poo works. Luckily I have enough money that I don't need to start selling my hardware right away.

xzzy posted:

Nanostudio has an OSX/Windows build available too if you want to preview it and see if it'll fit into your workflow.

It's not super great with a mouse though.. it's clearly designed to be on a touch interface and the desktop ports don't try to clean it up at all.

Hey, this was a good idea, thanks! Checking this thing out now, seems really cool and pretty intuitive as well. Definitely not meant for a mouse, like you said, but I can imagine how this would work with a touch screen.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 14, 2013

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I was kind of set on buying Nanostudio when I finally get that iPad, but the iPolySix is starting to look better and better. It'd probably fit my sound better, seeing as it's kind of like a souped-up version of my beloved KORG DS-10, which is where my music got its start.

Questions: The drum parts can obviously be used for synth purposes as well, but can those sounds and their parametres be controlled in real time when a song is being played back? Also, can I control one synth's knobs on the iPad screen while playing a second one with an external MIDI keyboard?

Kind of bizarre how the manual says literally nothing about MIDI in that thing.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 28, 2013

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

FLX posted:

Drum parts can be played and tweaked while the song is running. The manual doesn't specify MIDI CC# for the drum parameters though and I haven't managed to use my MIDI controller for anything else than triggering drum parts with the keyboard (MIDI channels 3-8). The Synth parts however can both be played and tweaked with an external controller (MIDI CC# for various parameters are written in the back of the manual). You can control one synth externally and the other one on the iPad's touchscreen. :)

Fantastic, thank you so much! Definitely going with the Polysix, then, at least to start with. Dem apps so cheap I'll probably try everything at some point.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Well, I bought the iPad a couple of days ago. Probably shouldn't have since I still need to finish my album on my hardware setup, but whatever I guess.

I ended up buying both the iPolysix and NanoStudio and I've now played around with them for a bit. Still not sure what I should start delving deeper into, since both have their advantages and disadvantages, but here are some impressions of both:

iPolysix:

+ sounds lovely!
+ the synth itself felt instantly familiar for me.
+ I've always actually liked analog-style drums more than sample-based ones, so that's a plus
+ just about everything can be automated which is p. amazing
+ lots of decent effects, and you even get some surprising ones in the mix like a decimator
- it is NOT possible to tweak drum sounds while a song is playing, FLX! Makes sense, though, seeing as it would somehow have to sample them in real time. This also explains why the drum patch parametres don't have CC values!
- the non-assignable MIDI CCs are kind of a bummer
- only one effect per synth plus one master effect is a bit limiting (yes, the drum patches have two, but those are different since they aren't real-time effects and are sampled into the drum sound instead)
- can't use your synth patches in the drum parts and vice versa. Weird.
- recording notes seems pretty iffy at times, it's like the thing quantizes my notes way off or something. Maybe I just need to get accustomed to it.
- no undo (:what:) also doesn't help the problems I have with the recording
- the step sequencer buttons are a pain in the rear end to deal with with fingers. Maybe I need to get one of them stylus thingies.
- here's a big one: the iPolysix actually resembles the DS-10 in more ways than I imagined in that while the drums seem to stay the same in every pattern in a project, each and every pattern actually has its own two synths that don't carry over to the next one. This can be a problem at times, like if I want to tweak a synth in real time, the knob positions won't carry over to the next pattern.
+ ...but it really does sound lovely

NanoStudio

+ full-featured like a motherfucker when compared to the iPolysix
+ it's possible to chain tons of effects into any and all channels = cool
+ MIDI coming outta its rear end!

-/+ not sure what I think of the sequencer. On the one hand it's somewhat confusing and the UI is frustratingly small, but on the other hand I think it has some decent editing possibilities. Maybe I just need more time with it. I like purely step-based systems more than the time/step hybrid thing NanoStudio has going on.
- the recording seems pretty weird here as well, although better than the iPolysix. Then again, maybe I just need more time to get to grips with both the timing as well as the iPad touch screen itself.
- the UI isn't the most intuitive thing ever. Some functions are hidden away in weird places.

and the biggest cons:
- not really a huge fan of how the Eden synth sounds and works.
- sample-based drums :rolleyes:

Also why don't these things have loving step recording jesus christ :argh:

So I guess I need to choose between a program that sounds more like what I want it to sound like but that has some pretty severe limitations, or one that is more full-featured and has less limitations but doesn't quite sound like I want it to :/

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 4, 2013

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

FLX posted:

You definitely have to get used to the iPad's interfaces (and disable the four-finger swipe gesture to switch between apps). The iPad synth apps are best used as single instruments, which are played and sequenced with external hardware.

I grabbed a MIDI to USB cable today to try this approach. It works beautifully! I was trying to go for an as minimal setup as possible by getting the iPad, but having the MPC in between isn't that bad. Now I'll get to use the iPolysix's sounds while still controlling them from an interface I already know and that works exactly how I want it to. Plus I don't have to rebuild up all my existing songs from scratch again, which is preeeeeetty great

FLX you are a Cool Guy, thanks!

K-EJ posted:

Look into Audiobus; you can record from the ipolysix into NanoStudio. I do this with Cubasis and it works very well.

This might've been a good idea too, but the MPC solution seems like the better fit for what I need right now :)

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 5, 2013

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Uhhhh what just happened I downloaded Propellerhead's Figure and now it's three hours later

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The IK Multimedia iGrand Piano and iLectric Piano apps are on sale for nearly half their normal price ($12 / 11€ instead of $20 / 18 €) for a couple of weeks!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

hypersleep posted:

For anyone wishing for a nice reverb effect, AUFX:Space has been released.

It's from the same developer that made AudioShare and BitWiz, it's universal and it's only $3.99.

I played around with it, running Animoog and iMini through it, and it sounds pretty loving nice. Easily worth the asking price.

Here's a little demo video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE1a0le-QbA

Thanks, this is fantastic! I really like how the iGrand Piano sounds, but it's definitely lacking in the reverb department. This fixed that problem nicely.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Here's an illustrated reason why it seems I need to go with NanoStudio or something loving else after all rather than the iPolySix.

I'm playing the exact same beat and the exact same note with all three apps. The note should play at the same time as the drum.

This is on the so-called "low" latency setting. No other apps are running in the background. What the hell, Korg?

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 25, 2013

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

FLX posted:

Is it out of sync just for a couple of beats after you press play, or is it off constantly?

Nah man, nice idea, but it really is the audio itself that lags. It's constantly off. Just tried it again and confirmed.

edit: Oh man ahahahahahah I just came up with the hackiest loving solution ever! You can shift the timing of sequences on the MPC, so I shifted the iPolysix tracks to play a couple of pulses earlier. And it works! With a BPM of 120 nine pulses on the MPC does the trick. My retard magic loving works. Unbelievable.

...this is NOT something I should have to do resort to, though. That latency is still completely unacceptable. And it doesn't fix the fact that poo poo would be way off if I wanted to play the iPolysix, say, live on the keyboard.

edit2: I just realized this has to be the reason it felt so weird to try to record sequences on the iPolysix.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 26, 2013

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Just wanted to say that I'm really starting to take a liking to NanoStudio now that I've spent some decent time with it. Still not a huuuuge fan of the Eden Synth, but this is really a great drat app. The sequence editor in particular is lovely once you get used to it. Thinking one of my upcoming projects will be NanoStudio-only :)

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 11, 2013

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

FLX posted:

PulseCode's Modular iPad app is out :dance: It's free with IAP for more modules. 5$ gets you all modules, including all future ones, so that's a good price in my opinion.

http://www.pulsecodeinc.com/modular.html

Oh boy :neckbeard: :getin:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

NanoStudio users, DO NOT update to 1.42! It introduces an exciting glitch that makes the reverb effect cause some real nasty feedback. A fix is already on the way according to the Borstel guy.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

xzzy posted:

Does this glitch perhaps have some creative potential? :v:

Well, I guess now's your chance if you've always wanted to specifically make some really annoying feedback drones in NanoStudio for some reason!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Aand the NanoStudio reverb fix is out.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Yeah, definitely grabbing it :getin:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

lord funk posted:

FYI - I'm putting TC-11 on sale this Thursday. First time since it launched almost 2 years ago that it's going on sale. Mark your calendars / spread the word / buy it for grandma and grandpa!

It's just seven loving euros :tviv:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

xzzy posted:

Looks like Apple is gearing up to give away GarageBand, and make money from it off IAP:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/21/apple_announce_free_garage_band_sale/

Pay 99 cents for reverb! :downs:

It's gonna have to be really goddamn good to pry me away from nanostudio.

I bought Garageband on a whim some time ago and I can't say I've actually done anything worthwhile with it. The "real" instruments are fun to toy around with for someone like me who can't play anything else than synths, but the synths in Garageband are just awful and the app isn't really intended for making full, finished release-quality songs so it doesn't actually have much to offer for me. Can't see any harm in downloading it and having a look if it's gonna be free, though.

NanoStudio is where it's at for me. I dig that drat program just a little more every single time I boot it up (that's erry fuckin day, by the way)

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 21, 2013

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

W424 posted:

I've been using Tabletop with iMPC the most, the free synths aren't nothing special but it can host stuff like iSEM, control outside apps, sample from apps, has a master "scene" sequencer etc.

If they'd make iMPC fully midi mappable it would be just about perfect for me.

Do you have any stuff you've made with Tabletop up for listening anywhere? Cardinal Noire / Protectorate isn't made in Tabletop, is it?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

FLX posted:

Wow! I didn't know Werkbench "werked" like that! I guess I'll check it out as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pg1EIkCbVc&t=58s

That is loving amazing :pwn:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

drat, ALL the Korg iOS apps are 50% off until Jan 1st :stonk:

e: iMS-20 and iElectribe you're finally mine :getin:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 20, 2013

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Holy poo poo, why didn't I get the iElectribe earlier?

Actually, I know exactly why I didn't: I expected it to be something completely different, more like an Electribe MX or something, just a straight-up dance music machine with cheesy preset sounds and all.

I was glad to find out that wasn't the case at all (although I would've been fine with something like an MX). drat dem sounds and dem glitches :allears:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 21, 2013

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

FLX posted:

It's almost exactly like the Electribe ER-1 (mkII) hardware drum computer, which I actually bought after having so much fun with iElectribe. I think it's a really versatile instrument and it's cool that it lets you record knob movements into its sequencer!

The ER-1 doesn't have a flutter function though, does it? Because that is one fantastic feature.

It's a bummer the iElectribe doesn't have a song mode of its own, but I just discovered how I can get Genome to send MIDI clock and pattern change messages to the iElectribe. Evil ideas brewing :unsmigghh:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

JHVH-1 posted:

I have been looking for something for plugging my guitar and maybe my koassilator, but the cables you find seem to use the port so you can't charge or they use the 1/8" jack which seems limited.

Do you need to charge all the time? The iPads have astonishingly good battery life even if you're running multiple music apps simultaneously.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I bought 76 Synthesizer a while back for the heck of it and really dug the visual side of it as well as the sound, but kinda missed some features that would've made it more usable. I decided to shoot the developer guy an email and ask if he was still updating the synth and if I could expect to see the kinds of things I was missing, but since he didn't answer right away I kinda forgot about it... But now, a couple of weeks later he answered with a lengthy email, apologizing for the long delay, thanking me for the interest and support and giving detailed answers to all my questions. To top it off he added me to the list of people who'll get to test out the promo version of his new, very ambitious iPad synth that he's close to finishing!

What a cool dude, excited to see what that new synth'll be all about :)

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 22, 2014

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Well, this came out the left field :pwn:

KORG reveals KORG Gadget for iPad

YouTube demo

poo poo looks p. crazy :stare:

Think I'll wait for some impressions before jumping on that, though. Wanna know how well an iPad 2 can run it.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 23, 2014

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I think you do get all 15 gadgets when you buy it, though. It's a pretty drat hefty price tag if you don't, and besides the App Store doesn't say anything about IAP.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Samples of each of the gadgets on KORG's site.

gently caress me this sounds nice but I already have way too many things I'm supposed to play with

edit: Well this is surprisingly friendly on KORG's part, their official specs site actually details how many tracks each iPad version can run! Only five (or eight with frozen tracks) on the iPad 2. Think I'll have to pass on this unless I upgrade at some point.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 23, 2014

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Eegah posted:

Pretty much every music app in the world is on sale for 4/20 Easter.

drat, GlitchBreaks is pretty loving fantastic.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Looks like I might be playing my first solo show this summer, and because of logistics and money I'll only be using my iPad! My current plan is to run my tracks in NanoStudio, tweak select synth parametres in real time with an iCon iControl and play samples live with a KORG NanoKey 2. Very exciting! I've only ever played one show years ago and that was a noise thing where it didn't really matter what I played, so this is on a pretty different level of seriousness and requires quite a bit of planning and rehearsing.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

FLX posted:

Sounds great :) Make sure to record the show! I'd love to see it.

I'd definitely love to get some sort of recording of it, if at all possible. If not video, then at least audio. I personally won't have anything else than my cellphone with me, so it'll probably be up to my contacts in Germany, but I'll try to figure something out IF a show indeed happens!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

JHVH-1 posted:

Another thing on sale: Loopy and Loopy HD are half off.
Just picked up BIAS Amps, Loopy HD, and Audiobus (not on sale, but it seems pretty essential and awesome)

Thanks for the tip, grabbed Loopy as well!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I just released an EP made 100% on an iPad, in NanoStudio. At least everything apart from the mastering (since I can't do that poo poo myself) and the very final editing stuff.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

drat, KORG Gadget just updated with two new (IAP) gadgets, MIDI control, landscape mode, Ableton Live poo poo, more export possibilities AND 64-bit support!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Stux posted:

If I want to run external synths through into a DAW and have them synced what's the best way to do this? I have nanostudio and garageband, and using inter app audio to GarageBand from some free synths seems pretty crap as it doesn't sync. Even recording quantised stuff or programming it in and then just pressing play requires loving about. Would audiobus solve this at all? Preferably using nanostudio so i can actually get some post effects for compressing and EQing. Also what are some decent cheap/free synths? I'm only looking for something subtractive but a bit better than the built in eden synth.

Last question about samples, what's the best program to use with the option of importing drum hits, preferably with piano roll or a grid for programming. Again needs be routable. Or can this be done with the TRG in nanostudio effectively?

edit: this is all for iPhone by the way

Unfortunately the one and only thing NanoStudio will do with external DAWs, controllers, synths or whatever is receive MIDI notes and (some) CC commands. It can't sync with anything in any meaningful way.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 12, 2014

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sizone posted:

And I forgot about it until I was finishing a song last night but SoundScaper is also loving excellent. It's basically a circuit bent sampler, you load a sample then pick which memory addresses are active and how it cycles through it. It's also got some nice modulation and a filter section. It can play back 3 samples at once and has a really good visual stereo imaging interface. End result is that you get these crazy circuit bent sounding zen trip out ambient drones going on and you look down and 10 minutes have passed with out you even realizing it.

drat, thanks for the tip! Checked out some demos and bought this thang immediately, seems p. fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Nice

• Locked thread